Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smoke Pollution in Urban Areas

Options
  • 29-11-2020 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭

Our towns and cities are destroyed with smoke from solid fuel burning stoves, ranges and fireplaces.

On a cold, still night every second chimney has smoke billowing from it that just lingers for the night.

Go outside and you come home stinking of smoke.

The sale of stoves of stoves should be banned and active night-time enforcement with heavy fines for any household allowing smoke escape their chimney.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,279 ✭✭✭✭ted1

salonfire wrote: »
    Our towns and cities are destroyed with smoke from solid fuel burning stoves, ranges and fireplaces.

On a cold, still night every second chimney has smoke billowing from it that just lingers for the night.

The sale of stoves of stoves should be banned and active night-time enforcement with heavy fines for any household allowing smoke escape their chimney.

What city are you in. Very little being burnt n Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 11,173 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Accordingly the smoke was mental back in the day before central heating became a common thing in Ireland. I do believe that's where the name "big smoke" for Dublin came about.

But policing people who warm themselves and their families in their own home ... You didn't think that one through did you op :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

ted1 wrote: »

Wasn't there a ban on smoky fuels (coal etc) in Dublin in the 80s due to smog? It wasn't anything like Victorian era London but it was fairly dire at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Dubmany

What made a big difference in reducing smoke levels in Dublin and other cities was the introduction of the smoky coal ban (you can burn smokeless coal instead). That ban was extended to towns over 10,000 people this September. The problem is that it hasn't fed through or isn't being enforced.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Dubmany wrote: »
    What made a big difference in reducing smoke levels in Dublin and other cities was the introduction of the smoky coal ban (you can burn smokeless coal instead). That ban was extended to towns over 10,000 people this September. The problem is that it hasn't fed through or isn't being enforced.

Smokeless eggs is all I can get locally out here; west mayo. and a bit of turf of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,785 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Haven't noticed it in Dublin, apparently it's bad in some smaller towns, Letterkenny for e.g. sometimes has worse air quality than New Delhi!

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-30971995.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

On a cold, still night.....blame God(insert name of favourite deity here). He/she/it is allegedly in charge of the weather. It's called high pressure. Ask Met Eireann....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Heres the current map of Ireland re Air Quality.

Looks like worst areas atm are Dublin and Areas in Northern Ireland along the border

https://aqicn.org/map/ireland/

Snapshot of current conditions

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭3d4life

salonfire wrote: »

Exactly this

Around here it is due to smoke from wood burning stoves.

One local installer of same was telling me that he has 80 customers expecting him to install a stove before christmas

There is a need for control but by who ? L.A. or EPA or other ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I reckon most of it is from wet wood these days.

When the air inverts you will always get noxious fumes settling at ground level be it from vehicles, open fires/stoves or central heating.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

I’ll give up my fire when I get a nice social housing central heated apartment in Rathgar and I want gym membership as well !

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Big problem is that people are burning everything not just the stuff they are buying so a lot of rubbish is being burnt which is making everything worse.

ted1 wrote: »

Where I am used to be rural, is now suburban due to many ( 50+ ) upmarket houses having been built nearby in the last 7 years ( A or B rated - minimal heating required )

..But policing people who warm themselves and their families in their own home ... You didn't think that one through did you op :p

Houses around me have elaborate heating arrangements - mostly involving heat pumps and MHRV systems. There is no need to be burning stuff to heat them

Steyr 556 wrote: »
    Wasn't there a ban on smoky fuels (coal etc) in Dublin in the 80s due to smog? It wasn't anything like Victorian era London but it was fairly dire at times.
    Its nothing to do with smoky coal. Nearly all the stoves are burning wood.

gozunda wrote: »

Looks like worst areas atm are Dublin and Areas in Northern Ireland along the border

Cash for ash.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I reckon most of it is from wet wood these days.
    This is a hell of a lot to do with it. The key is getting the burn good and hot. Wet wood or an open fire drastically reduce heat and efficiency and result in much more smoke.

When our stove is up to temp, a passerby would be hard pressed to spot any smoke coming out of the chimney. Only seasoned hardwood used in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

gozunda wrote: »

Interesting to a point - that point being the extent of the monitoring equipment in use which seems to be mainly around greater Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Never had any problems with air quality in Ireland. Maybe the smoke lingers in some towns on a windstill day but we don't get many windstill days especially on the west coast.

I don't know where the notion to ban stoves is coming from. Perhaps uneducated an Taisce rabble rousers. Miserable streaks of piss the lot of them

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭grassylawn

It's generally worse in towns that are outside the areas covered by the smoky coal ban.
    Wexford and Enniscorthy are particularly bad, as I understand it, thanks to the geography combined with coal burning.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭gourcuff

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

3d4life wrote: »
    Where I am used to be rural, is now suburban due to many ( 50+ ) upmarket houses having been built nearby in the last 7 years ( A or B rated - minimal heating required )

Houses around me have elaborate heating arrangements - mostly involving heat pumps and MHRV systems. There is no need to be burning stuff to heat them

Its nothing to do with smoky coal. Nearly all the stoves are burning wood.

Heat pumps are pretty much powered by burning gas off site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,266 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Accordingly the smoke was mental back in the day before central heating became a common thing in Ireland.

I remember back around 1987 crossing the street and I couldn't quite see the other footpath.

However, while the smoke is less visible these days, it is much more nefarious - the small particles get further into the lungs an cause more problems.
    Never had any problems with air quality in Ireland. Maybe the smoke lingers in some towns on a windstill day but we don't get many windstill days especially on the west coast.
    In towns, on the east coast and during still weather it can be bad.

I was passed by a car the other days an even though I was wearing a mask, it smelt like I was sharing a phone box with someone smoking a cigarette.

Heat pumps are pretty much powered by burning gas off site.

Well I never !

Tell us now, how much smoke is produced when gas is burnt to produce electricity ?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,243 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

RTE had one of those Eco Eye shows on recently and a house had €80k spent on it including getting 50% of this in grants yet included a wood burning stove in a densely populated area of Dublin, you couldn't make it up, these crooked shows encouraging these practices need to be called out...

https://www.rte.ie/player/series/eco-eye/SI0000000494?epguid=AI000002951

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

gourcuff wrote: »
    especially bad when cycling when your breathing rate increases...
    it's actually worse to be in a car, than on a bike or on foot. pollution levels are higher in cars typically.

3d4life wrote: »
    Well I never !

Tell us now, how much smoke is produced when gas is burnt to produce electricity ?
    have you ever seen smoke coming out of a gas boiler? burning natural gas (unless the boiler is malfunctioning) produces H20 and CO2.

Interesting to a point - that point being the extent of the monitoring equipment in use which seems to be mainly around greater Dublin

Not quite. Certainly Dublin has a much higher density of population than elsewhere.

List of Air Quality monitoring stations here - located around the country

https://airquality.ie/stations

have you ever seen smoke coming out of a gas boiler? burning natural gas (unless the boiler is malfunctioning) produces H20 and CO2.

But don't heat pumps work by collecting ambient heat from soil and water? Wheres the gas come into it?

i assumed the question was related to the electricity generation required to run the pumps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

A bit of power and the Greens are running amok.

• Advertisement

why? what have they done?

Advertisement