Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women Detained, Stripped for Involuntary Medical Check at Doha Airport

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

All sounds rather barbaric, yet not that surprising in that part of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,919 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Any woman who decides to go to these Neanderthal places should have their heads examined before flying.

But getting the impression that one of them had a baby or something. Another thing women should not do. Even though it takes two to tango.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-10-25/passengers-invasively-searched-qatar-after-report-baby-found/12811716

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Any woman who decides to go to these Neanderthal places should have their heads examined before flying.

But getting the impression that one of them had a baby or something. Another thing women should not do. Even though it takes two to tango.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-10-25/passengers-invasively-searched-qatar-after-report-baby-found/12811716
    From the Irish Times article it seems they stripped all the women who were on the plane and checked them for signs of having given birth but still didn't find the mother of the abandoned child. I don't know what you're insinuating justifies the invasive behaviour of airport officials.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,437 ✭✭✭KevRossi

It was a scheduled stop-over and transfer of a few hours for a lot of the passengers. Most Europe - Oceania flights stop somwhere in the Middle East or countries where women are treated as 2nd and 3rd class citizens, so I'm not sure how you're going to get around that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

This all seems rather odd in 2020. Surely a DNA test or suchlike could be used to establish relationship with the child.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

It's a huge transit hub, the same as Abu Dhabi and Dubai for onwards travel to heaps of destinations in Europe, Asia, Africa and South America.

You can't ask for someone to have their head examined for travel through these countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,919 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    It's a huge transit hub, the same as Abu Dhabi and Dubai for onwards travel to heaps of destinations in Europe, Asia, Africa and South America.

You can't ask for someone to have their head examined for travel through these countries.

Well I can if women are invaded like this TBH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

It is fairly easy to avoid these ****holes if you choose to.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

This all seems rather odd in 2020. Surely a DNA test or suchlike could be used to establish relationship with the child.
    No, we just strip them and check their undercarriage.

It's their own fault for booking a flight with a stopover??

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

Yeah but you’d have to give a sh!t about women to do that.
    Much easier to tell them to shut up and spread their legs isn’t it.

Fvcking savages. I’m amazed that the Australian government is so polite about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Oink wrote: »
    Yeah but you’d have to give a sh!t about women to do that.
    Much easier to tell them to shut up and spread their legs isn’t it.

Fvcking savages. I’m amazed that the Australian government is so polite about it.

Well you have sorted of answered your own question there. Even you don't give a sh!t about woman do you really want the publicity for your airport hub?

Ugly situation with an abandoned new born. The alternative is "Women involuntarily imprisoned in Doha for three days while awaiting DNA test. Australian government raises concern."

I think people should post what they think the authorities should have done. A female doctor checking who gave might have given birth doesn't seem that bad given the pretty extreme circumstances.

Is that not an invasion of their bodily integrity? The only evidence seemed to be they were female and women have babies so throwing them all in jail, forcibly taking they dna and then waiting for the results is hardly any better

I'm a little saddened that the abandonment of a newborn baby, presumable to die, wasn't considered an important aspect of the story by the op.

"The incident occurred earlier in October at Hamad International Airport after staff discovered an infant, described as a premature baby, “abandoned” in the terminal bathroom."

Such an awful story.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭quokula

Strip searches happen routinely in airports all over the world including this country, for far lesser reasons than this. Let's not pretend this thread is anything to do with disagreeing with that policy or caring about the people in question, or the terrible situation of a baby being abandoned. It's just a straightforward dogwhistle thread. It'll be at 50 pages in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Maybe better if the full facts were discovered first.
    The Irish times is heading the way of the daily mail.

I'm no fan of any middle eastern country and their backward treatment of females but everyone knows that the full story doesn't come out on first telling.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭TheRealPONeil

s1ippy wrote: »
    Australia demands answers after women taken from Qatar Airways flight and strip-searched (via @IrishTimes) https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/asia-pacific/australia-demands-answers-after-women-taken-from-qatar-airways-flight-and-strip-searched-1.4391109

I don't give a sh!t how much money they have, that part of the world is clearly populated by neanderthals. I was optimistic that with everything else going on this year, maybe women would not be subjected to treatment like that, but here we are in 2020.

Yep, clearly neanderthals - oh wait, a newsflash from the President of The Free World ... "We are energy independent for first time. We don’t need all of these countries that we had to fight war over because we needed their energy. We are energy independent" - OK men, at ease, as you were.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,689 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

s1ippy wrote: »
    that part of the world is clearly populated by neanderthals
    Oink wrote: »
    Fvcking savages.

If this inflammatory rhetoric continues the thread will be closed. Discuss the topic civilly or don't post

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

It's an airport would it not have cameras everywhere. All they had to do is review the footage of camera close to toilet the baby was found and search for the correct woman. They could even trace where she went after giving birth and what plane she got on.

It's an airport would it not have cameras everywhere. All they had to do is review the footage of camera close to toilet the baby was found and search for the correct woman. They could even trace where she went after giving birth and what plane she got on.

If it was the world's slowest airport and only that woman used the toilet that day.

In reality however it's a busy airport with hundreds of people using that toilet all wearing face coverings and similar robes

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭Eleven Benevolent Elephants

What do people propose?

How could they have found the mother barring a DNA test and detaining all the people who submitted their samples and only releasing them when they're determined not to be the mother?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

These countries are well known for their cavity searches and other barbaric practices. Only now it has reached a new level of bizarre.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

These countries are well known for their cavity searches and other barbaric practices. Only now it has reached a new level of bizarre.

Our country is known for letting the Church rape and beat Little kids for years and then try cover it up. A few strip searches is mild in the scheme of things

Would a cavity search for drugs be met with similar levels of outrage?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Would a cavity search for drugs be met with similar levels of outrage?

Only in certain countries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

What do people propose?

How could they have found the mother barring a DNA test and detaining all the people who submitted their samples and only releasing them when they're determined not to be the mother?

What would be done if the baby was found on the Eurostar train? Not mass detainment and strip searches of all women I hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,385 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

What do people propose?

Well, strip searching them didn't identify the mother, did it?

strandroad wrote: »
    What would be done if the baby was found on the Eurostar train? Not mass detainment and strip searches of all women I hope.

That's what I'm asking.

How would countries in this neck of the woods do things?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

That's what I'm asking.

In Ireland the poor would be either buried in mass graves or dumped into septic tanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,385 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

That's what I'm asking.

Make an appeal with assurances of medical assistance and support.

Advertisement