Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tiviar Alpha Plus - Dead after powered off for a week

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Dutch Roll

Ok great thanks. I gather the brown sludge at the base of the capacitors is actually glue or something and not the capacitors leaking all over resistors and other nearby components?

Would you recommend I replace all the caps and not just the big one?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭NewClareman

Yeah, just glue.

Ideally you would replace all of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭a clanger

In fairness replacing the PSU with a laptop power supply was very easy, just a pliers and a few connectors required. Took about 20min and €25

Lovely. I think that's what'll I'll do. Pretty straightforward I'd imagine. Thanks.

Any ideas lads? I think I've bricked it.

• Advertisement

I fit the laptop power supply, got this on the display. Then put back in the original PSU and still getting this on the display.

Reckon it's a gonner 😢

• Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭NewClareman

I suspect that some chip is blown. Hard to know what has gone wrong. Is there any chance you put in the laptop PSU the wrong way around?

99% sure it was the correct polarity, I was very careful. Nothing popped, no visual evidence of something going wrong. But I must have fried something.

I'm no worse off than I was last week but it's a shame as the box is just over 3 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Reviving an old thread here

My brother's Tivia Alpha has died ( won't power on) Mine shuts down randomly..I get it going by switching off and on via the rocker.

Is it an easy fix to put a laptop power supply into these?

There was a little link to thread about the faulty PSU problem and what you need to do to switch to laptop power supply.

Can anyone help with info ?

Advertisement