Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

03-04-2020, 14:29   #1
Black_Knight
I speak fluent sarcasm

Mains supply energy monitoring

Looking to get an energy monitor on my mains supply. My meter is outside, but i've an external socket right beside it to power a monitor.

Criteria:
  • Inexpensive
  • DIY install
  • Wireless connectivity
  • API to expose metrics or some integration with Home assistant

Ultimately I want to visualise it in Home assistant and thus Grafana, so it needs to be connected to my network in order to scrape data from it.

I've heard of the shelly EM... is that suitable for mains? Is that suitable for Ireland or is it US specific?
Advertisement
03-04-2020, 15:14   #2

I have a Mi Home device. This is wireless, battery powered and is DIY install. It trends my homes electrical energy usage (in watts) in realtime as well as providing instantaneous values. I can also set the unit rate but not in € only in £ (no big deal). This information is available on a PC or mobile app.
(2) thanks from:
03-04-2020, 17:20   #3
Black_Knight
I speak fluent sarcasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 View Post
I have a Mi Home device. This is wireless, battery powered and is DIY install. It trends my homes electrical energy usage (in watts) in realtime as well as providing instantaneous values. I can also set the unit rate but not in € only in £ (no big deal). This information is available on a PC or mobile app.
Thanks! That requires a hub and the monitor, yes? Seems about £110 for the hub and monitor. Unfortunately it looks like it doesn't integrate with home assistant directly, but perhaps could use their API to extract data.
Battery powered would be handy too though.
03-04-2020, 19:04   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Knight View Post
Thanks! That requires a hub and the monitor, yes? Seems about £110 for the hub and monitor. Unfortunately it looks like it doesn't integrate with home assistant directly, but perhaps could use their API to extract data.
Battery powered would be handy too though.
It only requires hub, not a monitor. Your smartphone or PC is your monitor.
03-04-2020, 19:40   #5
Black_Knight
I speak fluent sarcasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 View Post
It only requires hub, not a monitor. Your smartphone or PC is your monitor.
By monitor, I meant the sensor itself. My bad.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
12-04-2020, 12:37   #6
Black_Knight
I speak fluent sarcasm

Anyone else any experience with these types of monitors?
20-07-2020, 19:30   #7
TobyZiegler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Knight View Post
Anyone else any experience with these types of monitors?
Hey BlackKnight

I've the efergy energy monitor for about a year and works pretty well. The app interface is crap but I was able to download another Android energy monitor app which uses their APIs from a guy called Dan Stone.

The device I have has the standard clamps which I attached to the mains line which transmits to a receiver connected to the router. As the transmitter is battery powered it's a DIY job as you don't need to power it from the board.

Not sure does it integrate with Home Assistant tho. If HA can integrate with ZWave devices then Aeotec do an energy monitor which could work.

Decent list of options here https://www.smarthomeperfected.com/b...ergy-monitors/ if it's any help

There's a RasberryPi based monitor which might be worth a look as it's open source so more likely to be integratable
Thanks from:
20-07-2020, 20:56   #8
Black_Knight
I speak fluent sarcasm

Thanks Toby! I'm have to check that out.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion