Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

29-03-2020, 22:49   #1
Hotblack Desiato
Plutonium Rock Group

The Shutdown

Reports today of Gardai stopping traffic on the N11 and asking them to justify their journey.

In a democratic country that's quite the thing. I know these are exceptional circumstances, but surely a family unit living in the same home driving in a closed car isn't going to spread anything to anyone. A motorcyclist with helmet on and visor down surely isn't either, especially if they can pay at pump for petrol like at my local Maxol.

This seems intended to scare people and is over the top in my humble opinion.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
29-03-2020, 23:06   #2
Pythagorean

With this shutdown, and the weather at last improving, its time to get the bike out of hibernation. I can't see what risk of either contracting or spreading the virus is when out on the bike. Also the 2 km restriction is a blunt instrument, because I could ride out to the wilds of Wicklow and back without ever actually getting close to any actual person, whereas if I am walking in my local area I would encounter numerous other people. I suppose the only logical reason not to go out on the bike might be that if you did have an accident hospital would not be the best place to be right now.
29-03-2020, 23:12   #3
Interceptor

Stick a backpack on and tell the Guard you are going doing your shopping and picking up essential medicines. Simples!
29-03-2020, 23:13   #4
aaakev

Or you could just follow the rules like everyone else? Loads of time for spins when this is all over.

Make an exception for one group and everyone else will want an exception, the only way it works is if we all do it regardless
(77) thanks from:
29-03-2020, 23:43   #5
H_Lime

If this was purely a bike related site I'd engage with this thread, but here, nope I pass. No offence
Advertisement
30-03-2020, 08:37   #6
listermint

Not sure if your trying to be edgey or not. But people have lost loved ones up and down the nation.

The last time they saw their wife, mother, sister , brother , dad ,uncle, aunty was when they went off in the back of an ambulance. Gone.

No funeral to attend nothing.

I note your concerned about democracy. I'd be concerned about cop on. Stay in your bloody homes help the frontline car workers do their job. They're out there working huge shifts under extreme conditions.

No one should be travelling anywhere unless they have a serious need to. Anyone that is driving around the place with their family is an utter moron and is literally costing lives.

Last edited by listermint; 30-03-2020 at 09:11.
30-03-2020, 08:49   #7
Iamxavier

Quote:
Originally Posted by listermint View Post
Not sure if your trying to be edgey or not. But people have lost loved ones up and down the nation.

The last time they say their wife, mother, sister , brother , dad ,uncle, aunty was when they went off in the back of an ambulance. Gone.

No funeral to attend nothing.

I note your concerned about democracy. I'd be concerned about cop on. Stay in your bloody homes help the frontline car workers do their job. They're out there working huge shifts under extreme conditions.

No one should be travelling anywhere unless they have a serious need to. Anyone that is driving around the place with their family is an utter moron and is literally costing lives.
Just in case you did't notice it in the OP, but the OP states that they are wearing motorcycling helmet and can pay at the pump. On his motorbike, he's not going to come into contact with anybody. Explain to me how the OP, if he decides to take a spin, is "costing lives".

Your post is hyperbole and scaremongering. Yes this is serious, no you are still over-reacting.
30-03-2020, 08:50   #8
Wizard!

I can feel your frustration. Yesterday I put my bike out, washed it, clean it, charged it and then back in the shed... We use to go out every Saturday, throughout the whole year, unless it rains. And now we are missing some of the best Saturdays.

However, this has to stop. The sooner. It is not just the few people that will die. People die every day from several reasons. It is the impact that will have to the economy, the country, and everyone.

If we don't play by the rules, next step will be monitoring. Mobile providers already agreed to give our location data. Governments all over the world looking for opportunities to remove some of our rights, our privacy. Don't give them that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotblack Desiato View Post
...especially if they can pay at pump for petrol like at my local Maxol...
This has been reported as of of the major points of virus transmission. HSE says it isn't, but Gas stations provide single use gloves...
(2) thanks from:
30-03-2020, 08:55   #9
listermint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamxavier View Post
Just in case you did't notice it in the OP, but the OP states that they are wearing motorcycling helmet and can pay at the pump. On his motorbike, he's not going to come into contact with anybody. Explain to me how the OP, if he decides to take a spin, is "costing lives".

Your post is hyperbole and scaremongering. Yes this is serious, no you are still over-reacting.

I'm a motorcyclist it's not scare mongering. If that idiot comes off his bike even a small tip he's taking up resources on an already over stretched service.

He's also touching handles and keypads and pumps that don't need to be touched.

It's not worth a spin to be out it's the opposite it's selfish behaviour . You lads are adults it's nigh on time to grow up and cop on. Have a thought in your brain for the nurse or doctor that's doing 14 hour shifts and more. One of them died last week because of all this.

Why do people need to be reminded of this. Do you get your news off Facebook???
Advertisement
30-03-2020, 09:10   #10
listermint

And just another note having re-read posts again.

If you use the term 'scare mongering' for a pandemic which cost a person their lives every 6 minutes in New York Sunday (yesterday) then id suggest you re-examine your sources of information.

Its the actions we take in this country that mean we don't have those astonishing figures on our little Island. Those actions include calling people out when they are being selfish clueless.
30-03-2020, 09:47   #11
CJhaughey

The lockdown is not all about virus transmission, its also to stop people being out and about and injuring themselves which puts huge pressure on a barely functioning heath system.
Its one thing you can do which will save lives.
Did you see the video from the Dr in Spain where he is explaining how they are just taking ventilators off people over 65 because they are trying to save young people?
I'd love to be out and about on my bike/s but I know full well that it would be stupid, selfish and irresponsible of me to do so.
So I am at home and staying safe with my family.
This is one time you need to be thinking about everyone else and not just yourself.
Do the right thing and be a responsible individual.
30-03-2020, 09:50   #12
listermint

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJhaughey View Post
The lockdown is not all about virus transmission, its also to stop people being out and about and injuring themselves which puts huge pressure on a barely functioning heath system.
Its one thing you can do which will save lives.
Did you see the video from the Dr in Spain where he is explaining how they are just taking ventilators off people over 65 because they are trying to save young people?
I'd love to be out and about on my bike/s but I know full well that it would be stupid, selfish and irresponsible of me to do so.
So I am at home and staying safe with my family.
This is one time you need to be thinking about everyone else and not just yourself.
Do the right thing and be a responsible individual.
I've been stripping mine down doing preventative maintenance so that it's tip top when it comes back on.

So far I've done.

Head race bearings.
Front wheel bearings.
New tyres.
New front and rear disks
New front and rear pads.
New braided brake lines.

Chain pulled off and cleaned down in kero. Relubed. And I've been tying up any loose cables as there was annoying rattle on it.
(4) thanks from:
30-03-2020, 09:54   #13
BanditLuke

Park the bike up and be a good citizen for christ sake. My DL1000 is looking sad in the garage but that's life. This is bigger than our own personal satisfaction
Thanks from:
30-03-2020, 10:04   #14
Max Headroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaakev View Post
Or you could just follow the rules like everyone else? Loads of time for spins when this is all over.

Make an exception for one group and everyone else will want an exception, the only way it works is if we all do it regardless

WHAT...????

What the fcuk are you talking about a "group"...we're all individuals...theres still people out walking, cycling getting on with it (within reason)....we can still use our bikes for the purposes outlined........
Thanks from:
30-03-2020, 10:25   #15
LIGHTNING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Headroom View Post
WHAT...????

What the fcuk are you talking about a "group"...we're all individuals...theres still people out walking, cycling getting on with it (within reason)....we can still use our bikes for the purposes outlined........
Its hard to get yourself in critical care while walking. You drop your bike and your taking away resources that are vitally needed. Its selfishness of the highest order to take the bike out now.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion