Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Coronavirus and the effect on Public transport

• 14-03-2020 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭

I think it's seriously crappy and irresponsible to be shutting down public transport services. Apart from anything else, what about medical professionals who are reliant on public transport to get to work? Or long term illness patients who need to get to hospital appointments?

I do realise the drivers need to protect themselves, but masks and gloves and minimal cash handling would greatly reduce any risk.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

I think it's seriously crappy and irresponsible to be shutting down public transport services. Apart from anything else, what about medical professionals who are reliant on public transport to get to work? Or long term illness patients who need to get to hospital appointments?

I do realise the drivers need to protect themselves, but masks and gloves and minimal cash handling would greatly reduce any risk.

These are basically all just college services that are being shut down.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭thomasj

I was just thinking , given how quiet it is at the moment , I think Irish Rail will probably switch to Saturday mode within the next week or so.

Likewise with Dublin bus and probably xpresso services being cut?

Couldn't get over Friday , it felt like the days just after Christmas

What do ye think

• Registered Users Posts: 25,308 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

There is a sticky thread at the top of the page covering this exact topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭thomasj

Oh right , sorry I thought that was information only

thomasj wrote: »
    Oh right , sorry I thought that was information only

I get what you're saying. If you want a 'discussion' where you invite uninformed speculation (and the spreading of false rumours) then go ahead. Don't see the point though.

We are in completely uncharted territory so I'd suggest you wait for announcements from the relevent operators. Which will get posted in the sticky thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

I will be using public transport as normal today, into town to get some food with my family.

Everyone seems to be under the impression that ireland is in lockdown and no one should go outside the door.

Until that is an official warning or guideline from our government, carry on as normal

Unless obviously you're of compromised health anyway or elderly.

So many people freaking out and locking themselves in their homes that are fit young and healthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,846 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

But it's not carry on as normal!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

So many people freaking out and locking themselves in their homes that are fit young and healthy.

Who's locking themselves in their homes. Plenty of people out and about in my area this morning.

It's people's choice if they want to stay at home or not. Just do what you want to do and don't worry about the rest of us, we'll be fine.

I will be using public transport as normal today, into town to get some food with my family.

It would be far more responsible of you to walk or get in your car and drive to the nearest supermarket. Using public transport helps to spread the virus - you may be infected now but not know it. And the same applies to the person sitting beside you.
    Until that is an official warning or guideline from our government, carry on as normal

Absolutely not. You clearly haven't been listening.

What is required by society as a whole is to slow the spread of the virus. We do that by limiting social contact and that includes avoiding needless contact with groups of people, either in the pub or on public transport.

Even if the same number of people eventually get infected, by spreading the onset across the population to a longer period of time, we avoid overwhelming the health services with a massive spike of cases.

Where we end up in a situation where doctors and nurses (as in Italy) have to treat people in field hospitals (aka tents) and have to make life or death decisions like who gets a ventilator and who doesn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

I've been lucky enough to arrange lifts and avoid using public transport for the time being. I know there will be people who wont have any choice in the matter but hopefully with less people using public transport due to schools being closed and people working from home it wont be so stressful for those who need to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Who's locking themselves in their homes. Plenty of people out and about in my area this morning.

It's people's choice if they want to stay at home or not. Just do what you want to do and don't worry about the rest of us, we'll be fine.

Plenty around in my area too, but there is Plenty of scaremongering going on on Facebook 'Corona Virus Updates Ireland'

People saying 'ahhh the army is going to be patrolling the streets on monday' no one is allowed leave their house'

Madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,144 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Madness.

It’s also madness that you only act on government instructions

Literally everybody has said it’s best to limit social interactions and make as few journeys as possible

What you’re saying is that you won’t listen to advice but as soon as you’re told not to do something by the govt, you’ll stop.

Take a bit of personal responsibility and make as few journeys as possible. That way when you do make them, you’re less likely to be on a crowded bus

It’s not about ‘locking down’, it’s about everyone doing less so we don’t have to lock down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

As a driver, I'm happy to carry on working and I hope services aren't cancelled at any point. My routes carry a lot of medical professionals, carers and outpatients.

However, I strongly resent the fact that (as things currently stand) I'm going to be driving drunk people home from pubs on Tuesday night. Not sure how I'm going to hide my contempt for them, tbh.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

MOD: We will keep this thread exclusively for discussion of the topic and use the sticky thread above for updates only. Thanks everyone.

Updates here:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058061356#

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

It is certainly a difficult situation.

On the one hand, you need to keep public transport going so that the Doctors, nurses and all the staff who work at Supermarkets, Pharmacies, etc. can get to work.

On the other hand it will be difficult for companies to keep going given the fall off in work. They could implement a Sunday timetable, but then that has possible infection impacts as you are squeezing more people onto one bus, etc. More buses, etc. mean more social distancing is possible on service.

The government will likely need to step in to keep services going given the fall off of revenue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

bk wrote: »
    On the other hand it will be difficult for companies to keep going given the fall off in work. They could implement a Sunday timetable, but then that has possible infection impacts as you are squeezing more people onto one bus, etc. More buses, etc. mean more social distancing is possible on service..

Maybe there should be a Saturday service. A lot of people still need to get to work early, and Saturday timetables would largely facilitate that, while Sunday ones wouldn't. Also, the number of buses would be lower than on a weekday, but less sparse than Sundays.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,709 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Plenty around in my area too, but there is Plenty of scaremongering going on on Facebook 'Corona Virus Updates Ireland'

People saying 'ahhh the army is going to be patrolling the streets on monday' no one is allowed leave their house'

Madness.

Stick to official sites for info, not Facebook Mummies.

Union bosses were discussing curtailing services, which is nuts from a social distancing pov. Hopefully they've come to their senses.

Maybe there should be a Saturday service. A lot of people still need to get to work early, and Saturday timetables would largely facilitate that, while Sunday ones wouldn't. Also, the number of buses would be lower than on a weekday, but less sparse than Sundays.

Excellent point on early start times, very true.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭spatchco

was on the 11 bus into town i was the only one on the bus no one at any of the stops not even DCU and i will go in again when i need to

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,292 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Buses are sparsely occupied the last two days.
    Cannot see the bus companies continuing in business long with such low usage

zell12 wrote: »

Most of them have taken action which varies from a complete cancellation of all services, withdrawal of services to third level colleges, reversion to a winter timetable or reduced services.

Was going to mention which operators are taking those actions but decided it's better to include a link to the sticky thread where you can find the latest updates to services as a result of the virus.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

According to the NTA, demand was 15-20% down on Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Mr.Frame

Given that taxis are usually the first port of call for passengers that arrive in at airports. Surely then, it stands to reason that airport taxi drivers are at a higher degree of risk from catching the virus.? The 1-2 meters of social distancing cannot be adhered to. Should taxis withdraw their services on health grounds??
    I know a number of Dublin airport taxi drivers who have stopped working for this reason.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,212 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Mr.Frame wrote: »
    I know a number of Dublin airport taxi drivers who have stopped working for this reason.
    i would think it's a no-brainer for any taxi driver with underlying health issues to park up for a while. also, you'll have a bundle of people coming back from cheltenham, and i'd be wary about being around them regardless.

how busy is the airport for the last couple of days?

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Fizzy Duck

how busy is the airport for the last couple of days?

As a driver on the 16/41 it is noticeably a lot quieter at the Airport and in general. I'd be concerned however on Friday at the amount of teenagers using this time off to gather socially when it's not really the reason they are off school.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I strongly feel that busses should continue a full a service. If usage is down it will allow people to practice social distanceing on the busses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

People like you need to be forced into compliance rather than make sensible personal choices.

Sad that the minority are going to make what's coming worse for the majority who are taking every precaution they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Kyleboy

I strongly feel that busses should continue a full a service. If usage is down it will allow people to practice social distanceing on the busses.

What happens when people don't practice social distancing on a bus? Will you be volunteering to make sure it's enforced?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

zell12 wrote: »

My bus was slightly less crowded on Friday morning so I managed to get a seat by myself with no one in front or behind me and open a window (no others were open, inexplicably). In the evening it was standing room only as usual. This bus is hourly as it is, and my employer has told us its business as usual. The driver on the evening bus was wearing what appeared to be gardening gloves too.

Be interesting to see what it's like in the morning.

Advertisement