Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Marathon May 3rd 2020

Options
  • 23-12-2019 8:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Anyone started training for this? It will be my first so would be great to hear from others who will be doing the Full.
    Im doing a little training but will hit it properly in early January !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭flanna01

This is your first full Marathon??

What distance can you comfortably run at the moment?

Are you in good shape, good age, athletic history?

My very first Marathon was the Limerick one... A great experience.

Like yourself, I have to hit training hard in January, I have a busy year planned out, hoping to top it off in Chicago in October.

My advice to you is this... Party on down at Christmas, get it out of your system, there is far too many temptations between now and next week... Make a commitment to take training seriously from January the 1st.

Running a Marathon is as much of a mental challenge as it is a physical challenge.. I would even say the mental approach is more critical.... Anyway, that's for after Xmas!!

You need to post a little more information about yourself in order to receive the best advice, you have plenty of time to make and surpass the fitness levels required for the Great Limerick Run.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Mountain_M78

Great thanks for the reply.
    I was hoping i could get things rolling for advice as Im not in a club and definitely would like the advice and guidance of someone with experience.
    So basically i have at least of couple of years behind me i terms of running. 40k -50k weekly max.Im 41 years of age .
    Have looked at a few different training plans
    But havent settled on one in particular.

But can only be regarded a novice / absolute beginner for this distance.

Dont have a goal time really in mind. Finishing would be amzing, whether it is under of over 4hours is not really relevant as it is my first marathon.

Have done 5 half marathons in the past 2 years.
    Finish time ranges from 1h33 to 1h42, but i know from those experiences that the full is a totally different animal and will require a different approach.
    However, i feel i have a bit of a base to work off.
    But really , even ive been doing these flat weeks of 40k , ive a hell of a lot to learn.

As you said , enjoying Christmas is important but i am committed to upping my mileage slowly from January. I was regularly getting in 10 milers on Sundays but have slipped a bit in recent weeks.
    Love parkruns but know i have to concentrate on more volume and less of those altbough i have read that occasional faster workouts can really help.

THANKS AGAIN for the reply and enjoy your Christmas also !

quote="flanna01;112087434"]This is your first full Marathon??

What distance can you comfortably run at the moment?

Are you in good shape, good age, athletic history?

My very first Marathon was the Limerick one... A great experience.

Like yourself, I have to hit training hard in January, I have a busy year planned out, hoping to top it off in Chicago in October.

My advice to you is this... Party on down at Christmas, get it out of your system, there is far too many temptations between now and next week... Make a commitment to take training seriously from January the 1st.

Running a Marathon is as much of a mental challenge as it is a physical challenge.. I would even say the mental approach is more critical.... Anyway, that's for after Xmas!!

You need to post a little more information about yourself in order to receive the best advice, you have plenty of time to make and surpass the fitness levels required for the Great Limerick Run.[/quote]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,061 ✭✭✭ooter

based on your HM times you will comfortably go under 4 hours, closer to 3:30 I reckon, and if you're already used to running 40-50k weeks you will have no problem preparing for Limerick.
    best of luck with it

I wouldn't really regard you as a novice.... 40k - 50k per week is good going..

My Mrs is a Marathon nut case, she completed the London and New York Marathons this year (among others), she is an excellent tutor with a wealth of experience, hence I kinda know how to prepare for a Marathon and have completed several, even though outside of Marathon training I would be the classic slob...

You have great HM times, and appear too be fairly nippy for a man of your vintage. I don't see a problem with fitness of indeed commitment which will serve you well.

The first thing to understand about Marathons ... Is the distance! You may want to set off over the start line like a man turbo charged, I can assure you, this will end badly... You must drop the pace at the beginning, conserve your energy, make sure you have enough in the tank to get passed the dreaded 'wall', and make it to mile 23.. The adrenalin will carry you the last few miles.

Are you taking gels? How often? How do you plan to nourish your body throughout the race?

Like yourself, I have never been part of any running club, I train alone, motivate myself to stick to a plan, and follow a disciplined regime whilst in training. Once you mentally believe you you can do it, the rest comes easy.

My Marathon training plan - Which has served me well throughout all my Marathons is very simple:

3 x short runs a week
    1 x long run per week

For example, the first couple of weeks would be 4 mile, 6 mile and a 5 mile short runs, followed be an 8 mile long run..

I would gently increase these distances as the weeks rolled by, tweaking as necessary.. The last few weeks would be 6 miles, 10 miles and 8 miles short runs, followed by 20 to 22 mile long runs

Note: Once you get 20 miles in the legs, you are more or less guaranteed to finish (pending no injuries picked up)

I was 48yrs before I attempted my first Marathon (Limerick as it happens), I can assure you I was living an unhealthy lifestyle, burning the candle at both ends, as well as doing shift work... A complete recipe for disaster..

But with commitment and discipline, anybody can get over the finishing line..

Thanks for the feedback.
    I suppose based on half times, its achievable - for my first i am not really putting pressure on regarding a time. Id be overjoyed with finishing and maybe my second one going for a specific time.

Funnily enough, i get a little over eager once i hit a start line. Im wary that that might backfire when it comes toa full and i dont want to burn out too early.
    I noticed that in my last half i was very comfy until last 3 miles and then kicked on for last 3 miles or so.
    Know i must be conservative and there may not be a" kick" and that i should concentrate on even pacing.

ooter wrote: »
    based on your HM times you will comfortably go under 4 hours, closer to 3:30 I reckon, and if you're already used to running 40-50k weeks you will have no problem preparing for Limerick.
    best of luck with it

• Advertisement

Im always inspired by runners i meet who like myself are in their forties and just take on a challenge like a marathon. Fair play to you and your wife. Altbough the more time i spend around runners i realise forty is actually young! I have met some amazing runners well into their fifties so.im sure youll have many many more

As for me , its a bit of a holy grail and i do agree that the mental side is paramount.
    I can be over eager and that can sometimes lead to injuries.
    Im just learning now about how slow running is so.important . It just gives me a focus for the new year so im looking forward to getting some easy miles in.

Have you done many pre breakfast runs in your marathon training cycles?
    I have read a bit about this - have always been a fan of fuelling with gels myself but have heard of runners developing tbeir fat burning as opposed to depending on carbs.
    I may start one slow pre breakfast workout per week. Apart from my long runs most of my other runs are afternoon / evenings .

When i do use gels i take one every 40 mins. Im told i might need more so i guess before half way mark will have 2 or 3 gels with water and then an energy drink like LS around halfway. Topping up with a couple more gels at 40 min intervals with jellies thrown in also if need be.
    So over a full i would say at least 5 gels.
    Im a tall and generally digest quickly . I also get hungry very often so would be utterly dependent on carbs.

quote="flanna01;112097341"]I wouldn't really regard you as a novice.... 40k - 50k per week is good going..

My Mrs is a Marathon nut case, she completed the London and New York Marathons this year (among others), she is an excellent tutor with a wealth of experience, hence I kinda know how to prepare for a Marathon and have completed several, even though outside of Marathon training I would be the classic slob...

You have great HM times, and appear too be fairly nippy for a man of your vintage. I don't see a problem with fitness of indeed commitment which will serve you well.

The first thing to understand about Marathons ... Is the distance! You may want to set off over the start line like a man turbo charged, I can assure you, this will end badly... You must drop the pace at the beginning, conserve your energy, make sure you have enough in the tank to get passed the dreaded 'wall', and make it to mile 23.. The adrenalin will carry you the last few miles.

Are you taking gels? How often? How do you plan to nourish your body throughout the race?

Like yourself, I have never been part of any running club, I train alone, motivate myself to stick to a plan, and follow a disciplined regime whilst in training. Once you mentally believe you you can do it, the rest comes easy.

My Marathon training plan - Which has served me well throughout all my Marathons is very simple:

3 x short runs a week
    1 x long run per week

For example, the first couple of weeks would be 4 mile, 6 mile and a 5 mile short runs, followed be an 8 mile long run..

I would gently increase these distances as the weeks rolled by, tweaking as necessary.. The last few weeks would be 6 miles, 10 miles and 8 miles short runs, followed by 20 to 22 mile long runs

Note: Once you get 20 miles in the legs, you are more or less guaranteed to finish (pending no injuries picked up)

I was 48yrs before I attempted my first Marathon (Limerick as it happens), I can assure you I was living an unhealthy lifestyle, burning the candle at both ends, as well as doing shift work... A complete recipe for disaster..

But with commitment and discipline, anybody can get over the finishing line..[/quote]

Are you following a specific Marathon plan?

Do you occasionally run with a group / friends / buddies, family..? Or are you totally solo?

If you run and train on your own (like my good self), you must have 100% commitment and discipline.. As I have previously stated, I am the complete slob outside of training, and too be honest can gain 10lb in weight quite easily... However, once the first day of training comes, you wouldn't find a harder drill sergeant than me - I really can train myself without a doubt.

To commit to a Marathon, you must tune yourself mentally & physically. The roadwork can be achieved following a strict training plan, its 12 to 16 weeks of total commitment,

The mental side of things is another thing... On mile 16, 18, 23.... whenever it bites you The mind will be the first thing to concede defeat.. If the mind is strong, the body will follow - I cannot emphasise this enough! As long as you are taking your gels (whatever supplements are agreeable with you), there is no physical reason why you will not cross the finish line.

You say you do the Limerick Park Run? You surely seen the Mrs down there sporting her medals? She's well known in the running circles.

If you wish, I can get her to draw up a training plan for you (she loves helping newbies)..

My advice, is get the best advice from anybody / everybody that has ran a Marathon, take it all aboard, and prepare yourself to the very best of your ability.

Note - As a verified slob - If I can do it, so can everyody else.

All great advice.
    Yes im pretty determined and fairly sick of all the Christmas rubbish food. . .id nearly prefer to start marathon training as I feel so unwell from it.
    I have one or two marathon plans but yet to print them off.
    One is runners world and also have a book by andrew kastor which has a beginner programme. Good book.
    However, i find it light on mileage and i dont want to sell myself short.
    Any advice you or your ther half can give i would be delighted.
    I want to maintain 40-50k a week for January and start stepping it up by 10 per cent in the months after that. Gonna try some morning runs soon also. Easy runs before work.
    Any advice greatly appreciated overall. Thanks again for your feedback.

quote="flanna01;112101836"]Are you following a specific Marathon plan?

Do you occasionally run with a group / friends / buddies, family..? Or are you totally solo?

If you run and train on your own (like my good self), you must have 100% commitment and discipline.. As I have previously stated, I am the complete slob outside of training, and too be honest can gain 10lb in weight quite easily... However, once the first day of training comes, you wouldn't find a harder drill sergeant than me - I really can train myself without a doubt.

To commit to a Marathon, you must tune yourself mentally & physically. The roadwork can be achieved following a strict training plan, its 12 to 16 weeks of total commitment,

The mental side of things is another thing... On mile 16, 18, 23.... whenever it bites you The mind will be the first thing to concede defeat.. If the mind is strong, the body will follow - I cannot emphasise this enough! As long as you are taking your gels (whatever supplements are agreeable with you), there is no physical reason why you will not cross the finish line.

You say you do the Limerick Park Run? You surely seen the Mrs down there sporting her medals? She's well known in the running circles.

If you wish, I can get her to draw up a training plan for you (she loves helping newbies)..

My advice, is get the best advice from anybody / everybody that has ran a Marathon, take it all aboard, and prepare yourself to the very best of your ability.

Note - As a verified slob - If I can do it, so can everyody else.[/quote]

Training has gotten off to a good start.
    For my previous Half M in early December , i did some long slow runs of up to 14 miles. Should i forget about long, long runs of 14- 18 until specifically closer to the the Full Marathon ie final months and weeks.

Problem is most of the plans i have read , 18 weeks out from race day, have very few longer runs at weekends. Yet.

Im thinking of just continuing with my own approach of staggered long runs of 14 - 16 miles in Jan feb .
    Its what i have been used to so it seems a waste to dispense with these just to follow a plan.

Eg yesterday - 10 miles
    Next weekend - 12-14
    weekend after 15 or 16
    4th weekend - back to 8-10 miles to keep me fresh.
    ( ps there are all easy pace with occasional water breaks with periods of walking)

I know closer to the time i will step up to 18 - 20 2 or 3 weeks out.
    But surely ots Ok to continue with what i am used to rather than starting back at 7 or 8 miles on weekends.
    My other question - temp workouts. How many miles are sufficient at this early stage?
    Im doing 5k parkruns at tempo pace - should i lengthen these to 4 - 6 miles or incorporate them into weekly long runs. Or perhaps every second long run.

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Sussex18

Yes I would continue on with the long runs if your used to them and just up it a bit come late February or March. You could always try doing a few of the long run miles at Marathon pace. A few races might be good for motivation too.

Marathon Club Ireland have their half marathon in Limerick in April I think.. Also Caherconlish 10k is on soon. Get yourself used to different types of running, maybe do that and race it, it would certainly bring you on.

• Advertisement

Great thanks. Its reassuring to know I can still persist with long runs even with many many weeks to go.
    So should I "train" appropriately for say a 10k or simply just conti ue with my marathon training and run it , say, at tempo pace or slower?
    I wouldnt want to risk injury doing really fast mile reps or something like that.
    But deffo a half would tempt me.

Sussex18 wrote: »
    Yes I would continue on with the long runs if your used to them and just up it a bit come late February or March. You could always try doing a few of the long run miles at Marathon pace. A few races might be good for motivation too.

Marathon Club Ireland have their half marathon in Limerick in April I think.. Also Caherconlish 10k is on soon. Get yourself used to different types of running, maybe do that and race it, it would certainly bring you on.

I'd pick a few selected races and ' go for them', you don't need a long run every weekend, especially if you are doing a lot of them already. It will also be good for motivation, a different occasion, a change and the it's a different type of running, which will do you good ��. The Mallow 10 mile in late March might be another option if still open.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 LetsRunFar

Hey everyone. Thought I’d jump in and ask for some advice too if you don’t mind.

I have recently began training for a marathon (since Jan 1st really) and am wondering if limerick is the one for me.

I have never ran a marathon before, however I’m no stranger to running. I’m in my early twenties and have played sport all my life and been running on and off for last 5 years and quite consistently for the past year and a half.

Runs to date have between 5-10k. Since jan however I’ve done a few long weekend runs of of about 8-12 miles and honestly felt quite fine after them as if I had more in the tank.

I’m looking at 16 week training plans and they cater for the weekend runs to be about 4-6 miles at this stage so I assume I’m ticking along nicely for limerick.

Midweek I’ve been doing 1-2 5ks and a game of football. I’m just conscious I’ve never ran great distances in the past or even a half marathon , but sure I did 12 miles which is just about a half marathon , albeit not in a race setting.

No goals re times, of course sub 4 hr would be nice. My recent leisurely 12mile took around 1 hr 45/50. I say leisurely as I wasn’t pushing too hard.

Thanks in advance to anyone who is kind enough to reply !

The Great Limerick Run Web page has a beginners marathon training plan. I'd take a look at that and see if you could see yourself following it. You'd probably also need to do a long run midweek, about half that of the weekend. I ran a full without having done a half before, but I had ran 14 miles before Christmas and went on to do Limerick. But take a look at the plan and see. Just my opinion.

Sussex18 wrote: »
    The Great Limerick Run Web page has a beginners marathon training plan. I'd take a look at that and see if you could see yourself following it. You'd probably also need to do a long run midweek, about half that of the weekend. I ran a full without having done a half before, but I had ran 14 miles before Christmas and went on to do Limerick. But take a look at the plan and see. Just my opinion.

Thanks, will do!

Yeah I think I really need to up the running midweek , I better find a nice well lit route

Tuesday night at the ul track is good for speedwork and a bit of distance.

Anyone know when the early bird price finishes ? And what it goes up to ?

Think it goes up to about e90, but do keep a look out around Valentines Day, there is always discounts around fays like that.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 3,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Myksyk

Just a general comment on Limerick. Did the half last year and signed up for it again this year. I was very impressed with the Great Limerick Run. So well organised. Great crowds, great support, plenty of good drink stations, good finish area. Thoroughly enjoyable. Hope it goes well for you. Sounds like you have more than enough base for a good time, never mind just finishing.

Great to hear. Im just glad to see the calendar ticking by now and already into Feb in a week. Really looking forward to the race especially as ive heard some great reviews. Dublin just doesnt suit me workwise and i can concentrate on just 5 and 10 k's over the summer instead of going long so much.

Just a techical question.
    How far from race day should the last tempo workout be? Would it be before the taper a couple of weeks out?

• Advertisement

I have decided to bite the bullet and signed up to Limerick too and plan to a half between now and then as well. Like you Mountain i am happy to see the weeks begin to go by, although I am also getting nervous!!

Unfortunately as it'll be my first marathon too, I don't have an answer to your tempo Q though!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,494 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Just a techical question.
    How far from race day should the last tempo workout be? Would it be before the taper a couple of weeks out?
    Would be better in its own thread (or the Random Running Questions thread). But it's a question that should be answered by the plan you're following. Some plans won't have any tempos at all, or they are only occasional weeks within the plan. Some plans will have at least one every week right up to (and including) the last week.

It's worth noting that a taper (generally) should only change the distance of workouts not the intensity. A tempo done during taper should be at the same pace as your other tempos, it's just typically over a shorter distance

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭sonandheir

I have also 'bitten the bullet' and shooting for Limerick for my first marathon.

Done a few half marathons in the past, but my runs over the past year have been shorter. The one thing I have been getting in is about 3-4 runs a week for a year. So just looking to up the mileage to stay the distance.

One question for you experienced heads:
    I've never hit the wall so not used to having to refuel during a run. For my longer runs in prep 10 mile+, I am going to introduce gels/bananas to get used to refueling.
    What's the best way to do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Cartman78

sonandheir wrote: »
    I have also 'bitten the bullet' and shooting for Limerick for my first marathon.

Done a few half marathons in the past, but my runs over the past year have been shorter. The one thing I have been getting in is about 3-4 runs a week for a year. So just looking to up the mileage to stay the distance.

One question for you experienced heads:
    I've never hit the wall so not used to having to refuel during a run. For my longer runs in prep 10 mile+, I am going to introduce gels/bananas to get used to refueling.
    What's the best way to do this?

Everyone is different when it comes to refueling so it’s all about trial and error.

Personally I wouldn’t recommend bananas during a run, so would be veering towards the gels and energy drinks routes.

Try out a couple of different gels and see how your body reacts (some can be harsh on the stomach) and maybe check what energy drink will be given out during the Limerick marathon and see how that goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,429 ✭✭✭Trampas

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Everyone is different when it comes to refueling so it’s all about trial and error.

Personally I wouldn’t recommend bananas during a run, so would be veering towards the gels and energy drinks routes.

Try out a couple of different gels and see how your body reacts (some can be harsh on the stomach) and maybe check what energy drink will be given out during the Limerick marathon and see how that goes.

Whatever you do make sure you don’t venture to far from the jacks for the first time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Best of luck OP.

I'm not doing the marathon, just the 10k race but I'll be following the thread none the less.

I've heard nothing but great things about The Great Limerick Run, and Limerick being my fav city (I'm a Dub) I rarely miss a chance to visit & stay over.

Limerick, the best little city in the country.. Can't wait for a fish & chips and a few pints in Bobby Byrnes post race :)

Yeah its overall a great prospect. I only found out a month ago that its the second largest marathon in Ireland. Also looking forward to the good vibes afterward. Im not familiar with Limerick but by all accounts a great venue.

I see they are looking for musicians to provide music along the way. I love this idea - between the crowds and uptempo music hopefully it will give us all a bit of a boost. Will need it.

Regarding training - its going fine. A bit tired at times - partially mentally as about half way through training.

ive signed up for a three quarter marathon 4 weekends before the race.
    Hope to do an extra mile to bring my run to 20 miles. Does anyone thaink that it is a bad idea to do tbis 3 quarter race followed by a 20 miler the week after(3 weeks out)
    I have seen a lot of programmes that recommend an 18-20 miler 3 weeks out. Im reluctant to do these on successive weekends and i deffo think 2 weeks out is too close to the main event.

Any advice on this?
    Thanks guys.How is training going for the rest yis?

quote="Rhett Many Taffy;112417480"]Best of luck OP.

I'm not doing the marathon, just the 10k race but I'll be following the thread none the less.

I've heard nothing but great things about The Great Limerick Run, and Limerick being my fav city (I'm a Dub) I rarely miss a chance to visit & stay over.

Limerick, the best little city in the country.. Can't wait for a fish & chips and a few pints in Bobby Byrnes post race :)[/quote]

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭sonandheir

Regarding training - its going fine. A bit tired at times - partially mentally as about half way through training.
    Thanks guys.How is training going for the rest yis?

Hey Mountain_M78, glad to hear the training is going well. I have the opposite problem I'm all geared up mentally but just worried about the lower legs being able to adapt to the higher mileage. Always feel the Achilles and shins are getting a battering when I go 10+miles.

Aiming for 13 miles this weekend and gradually increase that to 20miles three weeks from the race.

The weather is really messing my run plans up :-)

sonandheir wrote: »
    Hey Mountain_M78, glad to hear the training is going well. I have the opposite problem I'm all geared up mentally but just worried about the lower legs being able to adapt to the higher mileage. Always feel the Achilles and shins are getting a battering when I go 10+miles.

Aiming for 13 miles this weekend and gradually increase that to 20miles three weeks from the race.

The weather is really messing my run plans up :-)

The weather has indeed been shocking. February a real challenge but I reckon it will stand to us when it comes to tge big day. Sounds like you are in a similar place, i will also be aiming to log 13 or 14 miles this weekend.
    Who knows which day it will be as yet another storm looms.
    I much prefer a Saturday long run to a Sunday although this week I may opt for a Parkrun and do my LSD on Sunday.

What i have found is that it is important to have a lighter week at least once a month. Ie in my case an extra day off. I was tired last week and feeling drained.

Right now Im on about 40 miles spread over the week.
    Monday - rest
    Tuesday - 6
    Wednesday - 10 ( 6 easy , 4 tempo pace )
    Thursday - 4 to 6
    Friay - rest
    Saturday 6 ( a parkrun every second week)/ Sunday 13 or vice-versa.

Time is moving along and im planning to do the 3/4 Marathon in Kildare on April 5.
    That will be by 20 miler ( i will add on a mile or so)

Will be glad to see the back of February and we will have the weeks to go counter in single digits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 kukkanen

Does this race normally sell out ? Looking at potentially signing up if my target marathon abroad gets cancelled at the end of April

Advertisement