Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buy now or wait a while longer

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

mloc123 wrote: »
    If you have cash to buy...

Ye and dont mind spending an extra 30k on rent in those two to three years

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

If you work for the government or a large multinational go for it

Working anywhere else i would hold off for another few months

The effects of a hard brexit are starting to be felt now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

There are two bed roomed apartments still not making the price people paid for them in 2007. If you check Daft etc you will see ones with unrealistic asking prices just sitting there wheareas similar properties 10/15 % less are being sold. Owners either have had ten years occupation or ten years rental income but stil can accept he facts of supply and demand

• Registered Users Posts: 19 parkhouse

Mooooo wrote: »
    If buying as an investment, work off the roi of rental income and not return from capital appreciation, as in selling on cause the price may rise assuming I used that phrase correctly

Just want to understand! this part. I am not sure I understood? Thanks

Mooooo wrote: »
    Haven't read all the thread so apologies if this is gone over already. But basically if buying to live in make sure it's something you can live in for 10/ 20 years, starter homes etc and other phrases are what put a lot of people in bother last time around. Paying over the odds for a small apartment and then getting caught when circumstances change. While the property market was part of the cause of the last recession and negative equity hitting people hard, the next one may not have the same massive effect on house prices but it may have an effect on incomes and employment. If buying as an investment, work off the roi of rental income and not return from capital appreciation, as in selling on cause the price may rise assuming I used that phrase correctly
    zig wrote: »
    Im not an economist but I do wonder how much this really matters and what affect it has on your life unless we literally repeat the same thing as what happened in 2008. Given that we are clearly not in a crazy property bubble at the moment I dont see how something that extreme can repeat itself any time soon.

Supposing you buy a house now that is lets say 20 grand over what it will cost in 3 years time, what happens then?

1. You continue living there, so it has no effect other than a mild sucker punch that you are paying more back on your mortgage. Well keep in mind, you will also have 3 years paid off on this mortgage and also a load of hassle out of the way.

2. You want to move, sell your house and prices have gone down, well in this case its likely the house you want to move to has gone down relatively also.

3. You want to move, sell your house and prices have gone up. Well the same logic applies, your house is worth more but you will be paying more for the next house too.

4. You want to buy a second house and keep your current one. In this case you will still be doing well to be buying a house in a slumped market.

And to top all of this off, none of it is really relevant because it may not become an issue for at least 5 to 10 years, at that point the dynamics will have changed anyway, possibly population increase, possibly reassurance in house prices (if they have gone down).

I dont think things are insane enough at the moment to believe they will change too drastically in the near future to have any great affect on your personal finances.

As someone else pointed out, generally a slowdown in the economy also means a slow down in employment, earnings and therefore mortgages.

Thanks for your input, that will be great to share your input if someone buy a property cash and rent it out... is it a good time to buy to rent is there any risk .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

It’s a sellers market at the moment.

I sale agreed a property back in May after an incredibly difficult bidding process, the vendor and solicitor have been extremely difficult. Making threats for me to sign without deeds to the house (that they have misplaced.) As a result (on top of may other things), I am withdrawing my offer this week.

Their ask is illegal and I find sellers feel untouchable as banks are handing out mortgages like no tomorrow and in turn it is driving interest and prices up.

Right now, the whole property situation in Ireland seems very unstable. As mentioned by many posters it might be best to hold off, the global economy is incredibly unstable and with a hard border Brexit looming it will becoming increasingly volatile.

From my personal perspective I would hold off, I am doing the same - not a decision taken lightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭baldbear

If you are currently renting then i would buy now if the right property comes up. Why wait for something that mightn't happen?

It is for investment rather than living it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Servicing a mortgage is cheap these days. Prices are stable or in some cases falling slightly.

Back in 1993 a 3bed semi in Rathfarnham cost about €130,000
    Interest rates were over 12%

A similar house today is €390,000

In 1993 your mortgage repayments (using full price for comparison) would have been €1466/month over 25 years. High rate tax was 60% and a very good salary would have been €30,000 with net take home about €18,000

Similar house on same road today will cost €390,000 (property price register)
    A 25 year mortgage for €390,000 can be had with 5 years fixed at 2.6%.
    Monthly repayment would be €1769

A similar good salary would be €70,000 and net take home circa €46k

On a historic basis, house prices are quite reasonable at present especially as you can fix rates for 10 years for under 3%.

Remember, it's the monthly cost that matters and how affordable that is and at current long term fixed rates, it's very affordable

theballz wrote: »
    It’s a sellers market at the moment.

I sale agreed a property back in May after an incredibly difficult bidding process, the vendor and solicitor have been extremely difficult. Making threats for me to sign without deeds to the house (that they have misplaced.) As a result (on top of may other things), I am withdrawing my offer this week.

Their ask is illegal and I find sellers feel untouchable as banks are handing out mortgages like no tomorrow and in turn it is driving interest and prices up.

Right now, the whole property situation in Ireland seems very unstable. As mentioned by many posters it might be best to hold off, the global economy is incredibly unstable and with a hard border Brexit looming it will becoming increasingly volatile.

From my personal perspective I would hold off, I am doing the same - not a decision taken lightly.
    I wouldnt agree that it is a sellers market in the apartment sector. There is definetely a slow down in that market

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,908 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I am long out of the market, bought years ago at a very good price in a good area (well before the bust). I feel so much for those who are trying to buy these days. I Sound like an old crone, but possibly I am!

My only advice would be to buy second hand. I know there is some incentive out there for FTB and help to buy or something WRT new builds, and they all have A ratings and so on, or at least they should.

But second hand houses are the dogs blx. You can look around and see what the neighborhood is like. That is not possible with new developments. And dare I say it..... there will be an element of social and affordable housing in every new scheme now. Not saying that is wrong, but just saying!

The slightly older houses were usually very solidly built too. They had a gaffer/overseer on site you see back in the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,908 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Edgware wrote: »
    I wouldnt agree that it is a sellers market in the apartment sector. There is definetely a slow down in that market

Landlords escaping, and who could blame them either.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Darc19 wrote: »
    Servicing a mortgage is cheap these days. Prices are stable or in some cases falling slightly.

Back in 1993 a 3bed semi in Rathfarnham cost about €130,000
    Interest rates were over 12%

A similar house today is €390,000

In 1993 your mortgage repayments (using full price for comparison) would have been €1466/month over 25 years. High rate tax was 60% and a very good salary would have been €30,000 with net take home about €18,000

Similar house on same road today will cost €390,000 (property price register)
    A 25 year mortgage for €390,000 can be had with 5 years fixed at 2.6%.
    Monthly repayment would be €1769

A similar good salary would be €70,000 and net take home circa €46k

On a historic basis, house prices are quite reasonable at present especially as you can fix rates for 10 years for under 3%.

Remember, it's the monthly cost that matters and how affordable that is and at current long term fixed rates, it's very affordable

Those figures seem off to me, no way have house prices in rathfarnham only trebled since 1993

Suspect houses were cheaper in 1993 than 130k

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Those figures seem off to me, no way have house prices in rathfarnham only trebled since 1993

Remember we had £ back then. £100,000.

Or to be precise £98,500 and it was mine. Bought in 1989 for £74,950

Same road last two sales were under €400,000 (£325,000)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Darc19 wrote: »
    Mad_maxx wrote: »

Remember we had £ back then. £100,000.

Or to be precise £98,500 and it was mine. Bought in 1989 for £74,950

Same road last two sales were under €400,000 (£325,000)

Property is up at least six fold in the past twenty five years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Is now a good time to sell?

We’re very lucky in that we have a house with no mortgage at the moment. The house is worth 290-310k.

We’ve found a house in the countryside we love.

Should we sell now or wait?

Tilikum17 wrote: »
    Is now a good time to sell?

We’re very lucky in that we have a house with no mortgage at the moment. The house is worth 290-310k.

We’ve found a house in the countryside we love.

Should we sell now or wait?

It's not all about price. If you don't sell will the country house be there when you want it and at a price you can meet?
    Is is worth the wait to maybe get another 10000 when you could be settling in well in the countryside?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

I wouldnt touch the market yet. Way to much uncertainty with Brexit and the economy. We will have another massive crash. The million dollar question is when.

465000 for a semi d in north kildare isnt sustainable. IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

According to news paper reports that prices have dropped nation wide over the last six months. A part from brexit, germany is in a recession all but confirmed. The US is trying its hard est to stave one off. The Donald will do all he can next year been election year to pump more money out. Will this be enough ? China are no walk over as he has discovered.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

According to news paper reports that prices have dropped nation wide over the last six months. A part from brexit, germany is in a recession all but confirmed. The US is trying its hard est to stave one off. The Donald will do all he can next year been election year to pump more money out. Will this be enough ? China are no walk over as he has discovered.

• Advertisement
Advertisement