Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Effin hell (cyclist/pedestrian legal case in the UK)

Options
  • 21-06-2019 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭

Shafted because he didn't put a claim in. I wonder would any insurance cover something like this?

A cyclist who knocked over a woman who was looking at her mobile phone while crossing a road has been ordered to pay about £100,000 in compensation and costs in a case he claims could set an alarming precedent.

Link.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭Fian

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Even more reason to have cycling insurance....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Fian wrote: »

A person doing decent thing and not lodging a counter claim, not doing much wrong on the road is taken to cleaners. I'm sorry but that is not justice.

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Even more reason to have cycling insurance....

So insurance can pay out to greedy people who don't know how to cross the road but know how to claim?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

meeeeh wrote: »
    So insurance can pay out to greedy people who don't know how to cross the road but know how to claim?

No, so insurance can pay the lawyers...

• Advertisement

cdaly_ wrote: »

This would settle out of court if it was up to insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

A person doing decent thing and not lodging a counter claim, not doing much wrong on the road is taken to cleaners. I'm sorry but that is not justice.

How do these things work? If it was decided that there was 50/50 liability do you cover your own medical costs and own legal costs? Or do they add everything up and split it in two? Does the lady who strode into the road looking at her phone have to pay £100,000 as well?
    All seems a bit mad. Is this just a swizz by some legal sorts to get paid for the case and then get paid again for the appeal?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

The judge, Shanti Mauger, said both were equally to blame for the incident on a busy junction near London Bridge, but only Brushett was entitled to a payout because she had put in a claim and Hazeldean had not.

Brushett, who also runs a yoga retreat, was awarded £4,161.79 in damages after the judge ruled that a 8mm scar on her lip did not detract from her “very attractive” appearance, but Hazeldean was told to also pay the legal costs of the two-day case, estimated to be as much as £100,000.
    Is there anything preventing him putting a claim in now?

Thargor wrote: »
    Is there anything preventing him putting a claim in now?

I assume it would just incur extra legal costs. I think who pays the legal cost is decided separately to the actual award. The money she will recive is not much but as I can understand he has to pay hers and his legal cost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭obriendj

Very disheartening to read this.

How is blame 50/50. We don't have all details of course but walking across the road reading your phone while the light is red should occur 80% blame at least.

And if blame is 50/50 then why a payout....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,640 ✭✭✭✭josip

So she gets £4,000.
    Her legal parasites could get up to £100,000.
    He has to pay both.
    We must be nearing the day when certain elements of society get strung up en masse.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,268 ✭✭✭✭ted1

How much was she claiming for? Is it not immoral to charge 25 times what a pay out is? The legal system is very very flawed.

How many hours work does it take to charge 100k.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I just.... I don't understand........

lol I see twitter and instagram accounts have been deactivated. I imagine someone is getting a lot of grief online for being a bad human.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,358 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I imagine someone is getting a lot of grief online for being a bad human.
    who? the woman, or her legal team?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,720 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

I would question the reporting here in connection with the costs.

UK is very similar to here in relation to court procedures etc. That level of award here would be heard in the district or perhaps Circuit court, where costs for two days wouldn't be a fraction of 100k.

Two days costs for both sides here would probably amount to 40k here or so in high court.

I doubt this man had representation and if so would only have to pay her costs.

If he had representation and they advised him to run a £5k case with a £100k risk in costs he should sue them.

A common tactic of insurance companies is to pay a lodgment into court as an offer. If Plaintiff rejects offer and doesn't get better from judge she would be on the hook for the difference in costs between district costs and high court costs. Which here is a gigantic difference as district court costs are miserable while high court costs are insane.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,358 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i would assume that the UK has an equivalent of the taxing master; which in theory should be able to knock a significant chunk off the costs.
    otherwise the winning side could submit whatever costs they wanted, and he'd have to pay, because he was the losing party.

I doubt this man had representation and if so would only have to pay her costs.
    on the flipside, if he was being taken to the high court and opted *not* to get expert help, that would have been a strange choice.

on the flipside, if he was being taken to the high court and opted *not* to get expert help, that would have been a strange choice.

It was a county court sitting equivalent of our circuit court.

£72k would be upper limit for both sides for 2 days according to Google in high court. County court should be a lot less

Accident was 2015 so too late to counter claim.

He had a lot of time to handle this better. He has been royally screwed but you have to be able to stand up for yourself.

The £100k is boll0x but it makes a better story

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

Expect the resident boards legal eagles to defend this to the hilt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

“Brushett, who also runs a yoga retreat, was awarded £4,161.79 in damages after the judge ruled that a 8mm scar on her lip did not detract from her “very attractive” appearance, but Hazeldean was told to also pay the legal costs of the two-day case, estimated to be as much as £100,000.”

So if she was ugly as fcuk the judge would have awarded £0, or £50k for cosmetic surgery!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,268 ✭✭✭✭ted1

cdaly_ wrote: »

Generally if there’s no insurance the lawyers won’t take a case as there will be no cash available to pay them

For those who have The Times subscription there is a better article about that cycling case. Her solicitors are looking for 92000 in legal cost, his are 6 or 7 thousand. He made a mistake to represent himself at first and didn't lodge counter claim. That makes him liable for all legal costs although there is possible claimant's legal costs will be capped at 10k by judge.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/robert-hazeldean-cyclist-who-hit-phone-zombie-faces-100-000-bill-3ddbccv0v

• Registered Users Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

The comment about the plaintiff's "very attractive appearance" is patrician as hell, and really quite creepy.

tomasrojo wrote: »
    The comment about the plaintiff's "very attractive appearance" is patrician as hell, and really quite creepy.

PC gone mad.

he was a judge, not a PC.
    but yes, not a sane or sensible man by the sound of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Presumably this was because she was claiming she was now disfigured

Reminded me of a Dylan song

When the judge he saw Reilly's daughter
    His old eyes deepened in his head,
    Sayin', "Gold will never free your father,
    The price, my dear, is you instead."

he was a judge, not a PC.
    but yes, not a sane or sensible man by the sound of it.

Yeah, l meant the poster I quoted. Commenting on her attractiveness in the circumstances was not ‘creepy’. Anyone who thinks it was is messed up and actively looking to take offence where none exists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Presumably this was because she was claiming she was now disfigured

But all he has to say is "My judgement is that you have not been disfigured".

Advertisement