Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Effin hell (cyclist/pedestrian legal case in the UK)

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

The Alliston case in London, as far as I remember, resulted from the cyclist swerving to avoid the pedestrian, and her stepping back to avoid him, unfortunately putting herself back into his trajectory.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,519 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

tomasrojo wrote: »
    The Alliston case in London, as far as I remember, resulted from the cyclist swerving to avoid the pedestrian, and her stepping back to avoid him, unfortunately putting herself back into his trajectory.

If I recall correctly, his complete lack of remorse was more than a factor in the finding of the judge, with his only concern being whether he would face jail or not, never for the woman who died. The only real thing of note, outside of the tragedy involved, is that for such a rare occurrence to happen, it received unprecedented coverage, some claim because of Allistons attitude, but it doesn't change the fact that even a celebrity in a car would have gotten less coverage. It even prompted response at PM questions or at least in a report from cabinet that they planned to legislate more thoroughly.

It really shows the sorry state of democracy in the UK, but with such a mentality getting such strong press coverage, it is no wonder other poor choices override common sense so often over there. Not that we are much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

That's my recollection too. He didn't help his case by being an apparent sociopath, but the UK media and political classes leapt on it in the most disproportionate way.

Advertisement