Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boy gets €70,000 for Hot Chocolate Burn

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Judicary once again.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,124 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Pops_20 wrote: »
    Came across this just minutes ago, and I can't believe it.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/high-court/boy-who-claimed-hot-chocolate-burn-on-aer-lingus-flight-settles-for-70-000-1.3785973

I clicked the link assuming the flight attendant spilled the drink on him, but no... The child spilled the drink on himself after removing the lid!

This reminds of the girl who tagged along the side of the Luas and got some ridiculous settlement.

Can someone more familiar with the law than me explain why are people getting awarded money for something that was their own fault?

Why should Aer Lingus have to pay when they didn't do anything that contributed to the incident?

They settled according to the article.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

namloc1980 wrote: »
    They settled according to the article.

Without admitting liability.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭soups05

I would imagine it is along the lines of the drink being served too hot, hence the milk portions they gave him. Thus they set up a situation where he had to remove the lid and run the risk of spilling the liquid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

The claim culture in this country is ridiculous. The amount of (relatively innocuous) events that occurred during my childhood that I could have claimed for would have me close to having a fortune.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Alrigghtythen

Idiots

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 189 ✭✭Little Less Conversation

This will be the reason why we will end up with cold tea, coffee, hot chocolate and soup.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

This will be the reason why we will end up with cold tea, coffee, hot chocolate and soup.

You'll still have people capable of drowning in them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Pops_20 wrote: »
    Why should Aer Lingus have to pay when they didn't do anything that contributed to the incident?

Because they voluntarily decided that it would be cheaper than the legal fees incurred when defending the fact that they served a child a drink so hot that it causes second-degree burns when it comes into contact with skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Judicary once again.

Aer Lingus settled for the amount. Nowt to do with the judge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,887 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Or it may be a turning point in service provided by airline catering staff, it's not too much to expect surely with the prices they charge.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

This may sound crazy but there's a possibility it did actually burn him. That woman in America who sued McDonalds over the hot coffee is often used an example of ridiculous law suits but the coffee did genuinely burn her very badly.

Maybe this boy was burned pretty badly too, or maybe not. I just wouldn't make a judgement based on that article.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

Was someone supposed to drink it for him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Aer Lingus settled for the amount. Nowt to do with the judge.

It is though really based on all the joke cases in the past that have won.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,602 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Because they voluntarily decided that it would be cheaper than the legal fees incurred when defending the fact that they served a child a drink so hot that it causes second-degree burns when it comes into contact with skin.

Why didnt the father , who sued and made the claim, not do this dangerous task of adding milk , nevermind this kind of bull**** is what I hate most about Ireland.
    The legal gravy greed train keeps running.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,124 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

This may sound crazy but there's a possibility it did actually burn him. That woman in America who sued McDonalds over the hot coffee is often used an example of ridiculous law suits but the coffee did genuinely burn her very badly.

Maybe this boy was burned pretty badly too, or maybe not. I just wouldn't make a judgement based on that article.

Second degree burn according to the article.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

This may sound crazy but there's a possibility it did actually burn him.

Even if he did though, he made a full recovery. We all get burnt from time to time. Surely as a parent you’d be just happy your kid is ok.

These claims are driven by greed plain and simple..

thebaz wrote: »
    Why didnt the father , who sued and made the claim, not do this dangerous task of adding milk , nevermind this kind of bull**** is what I hate most about Ireland.
    The legal gravy greed train keeps running.
    Perhaps he wrongly (but not unreasonably) assumed that 'hot chocolate' doesn't mean 'scalding hot chocolate'.

This is a picture of the burns the woman who sued McDonalds suffered. I won't embed it because it's fairly graphic.

http://deshawlaw.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/hotcoffeejpeg-2534403_p9-1.jpg

I'm not saying the boy was burned as severely as this, but people are still laughing about that woman and using her as an example of frivolous lawsuits without having any idea of the extent of her injuries.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Yeah plus i think part of it ended up being them treating her so badly about it - she only wanted basic medical costs covered but they dug the heels in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,407 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Perhaps he wrongly (but not unreasonably) assumed that 'hot chocolate' doesn't mean 'scalding hot chocolate'.

You’re not supppsed to spill it on yourself. That’s where he went wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,602 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

coffee means coffee - its hot - same as hot choclate -
    Accidents happen in life , but not in modern Ireland it seams .
    cause of this greed , 99.99 of other kids will most likely be unable to order hot-choclate in the future , thats the problem I have - the decent people suffer cause of the greed of the few. (I blame the father not the kid , and ther legal team.

Rennaws wrote: »
    Even if he did though, he made a full recovery. We all get burnt from time to time. Surely as a parent you’d be just happy your kid is ok.

These claims are driven by greed plain and simple..

It says he made a good recovery, not a full recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Seems like a lot of work for only €70,000.
    Think I'd rather get accused of stealing a plastic bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

It's another joke of a claim but who's surprised really. One thing I will say though all these companies are aware of the ridiculous claim culture in this country so no way in the world would I allow someone let alone a child be served a hot drink that had to be opened and milk added to cool it down. The father might have seen the way it was served and thought $$$.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    You’re not supppsed to spill it on yourself. That’s where he went wrong.

You're also not supposed to sell it so hot that it gives a child second-degree burns.
    thebaz wrote: »
    coffee means coffee - its hot - same as hot choclate -
    Accidents happen in life , but not in modern Ireland it seams .
    cause of this greed , 99.99 of other kids will most likely be unable to order hot-choclate in the future , thats the problem I have - the decent people suffer cause of the greed of the few. (I blame the father not the kid , and ther legal team.

Perhaps they will still be able to order hot chocolate; it just won't be scalding hot.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

When the plane landed in Dublin, he was taken to hospital where it was noted he had sustained a partial thickness [deep dermal] scald but he later made a good recovery.
    The hell? He wasn't even badly hurt

• Registered Users Posts: 73,407 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

You're also not supposed to sell it so hot that it gives a child second-degree burns.

Perhaps they will still be able to order hot chocolate; it just won't be scalding hot.

You know you can get second degree burns from 70° liquids?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Another compo lotto winner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,317 ✭✭✭AllForIt

When a judge makes an evaluation of damages does he include legal expenses incurred to bring the case to court? And regardless what would legal fees be for such a case, roughly.

Advertisement