Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boy gets €70,000 for Hot Chocolate Burn

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭siblers

thebaz wrote: »
    coffee means coffee - its hot - same as hot choclate -
    Accidents happen in life , but not in modern Ireland it seams .
    cause of this greed , 99.99 of other kids will most likely be unable to order hot-choclate in the future , thats the problem I have - the decent people suffer cause of the greed of the few. (I blame the father not the kid , and ther legal team.
    I've never had a coffee or hot chocolate that was so hot it would have caused second degree burn. Children are stupid, if you're going to give them a hot drink there's a very high possibility they will spill it. Surely whoever is providing the hot chocolate has the responsibility to make sure it won't cause second degree burns if it does end up being spilt

• Registered Users Posts: 16,580 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

I'm picturibg this kid in court in a neck brace with Lionel Hutz as his legal council.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,128 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

People are encouraged to sue . By judges , by insurances , by the lawyers . Is it any wonder people sue when its worth their while and are encouraged to do so

• Registered Users Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

siblers wrote: »
    I've never had a coffee or hot chocolate that was so hot it would have caused second degree burn. Children are stupid, if you're going to give them a hot drink there's a very high possibility they will spill it. Surely whoever is providing the hot chocolate has the responsibility to make sure it won't cause second degree burns if it does end up being spilt

I would be more of the opinion that it's the parents responsibility to monitor their child and ensure they don't do something to harm themselves. Could the hot chocolate have been cooler? Who knows. Do we know what temperature it was? No, but that doesn't stop someone suing. So it may have been cool enough for someone to drink, we know that child skin (it's weird to say that) is still softer than an adults, so more prone to damage (I imagine, I don't have kids, but it makes sense to me, more elastin and collagen).

Personal and parental responsibility is gone. We're going to end up in a civilisation like Equilibrium, where feelings are illegal and everything is safe, the same and boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,134 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I would be more of the opinion that it's the parents responsibility to monitor their child and ensure they don't do something to harm themselves. Could the hot chocolate have been cooler? Who knows. Do we know what temperature it was? No, but that doesn't stop someone suing. So it may have been cool enough for someone to drink, we know that child skin (it's weird to say that) is still softer than an adults, so more prone to damage (I imagine, I don't have kids, but it makes sense to me, more elastin and collagen).

Personal and parental responsibility is gone. We're going to end up in a civilisation like Equilibrium, where feelings are illegal and everything is safe, the same and boring.
    The hot chocolate is served at drinking temperature, just like the coffee and the tea.
    I know this because of it wasn't then everyone inn the flight would have 70k now.
    The tea in the mug was on the cool side but it needed a top up from the pot. It was the tea in the pot that was still too hot.

After careful research i have been able to determine that the boiling water used to make tea may be hot.

Please feel free to use this information as you see fit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭KevinCavan

oLoonatic wrote: »
    I'm getting on a flight later, in need of a few bob........

Make sure it isn’t with Ryanair, can’t see Michael O’ Leary coughing up.:-)

someone on the average industrial wage would have to work 2 full years to get this amount of money.

And all Sinn Fein TD’s I think...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Well no because there are so many warnings that it's poison. I don't think any "Irish person" would agree with that at all.

Coffee shouldn't be at a scalding temperature though. McDonalds were found to be at fault in this regard. Now I absolutely agree she was an idiot because of what she did to spill the coffee - she was at fault also. But the beverage was so hot that she needed skin grafts. Coffee simply should not be that hot.

She probably would have been awarded more if not for the stupid way she held the cup, causing the spill.

The brewing temperature of the water used is very important. It should be between 195 F (91 C) and 205 F (96 C). The closer to 205 F (96 C) the better. Boiling water (212 F - 100 C) should never be used, as it will burn the coffee.

I take my coffee like I take my women - dark and smoking hot.

GreeBo wrote: »
    Any update on the coffee that's served far in excess of 100 celcius?
    Its just i have Ripleys Believe It Or Not on the other line...

It's served in a pressurised container.

I stopped off in a coffee shop before to get a tea. I ordered a pot of tea. It was a nice day and I took a seat outside in the shade. The waitress came and served my tea. I poured tea into the mug and milk to my liking. I don't like very hot tea and I like a lot of milk because of this. I took a mouthful of tea and it was bad. It was far to hot and couldn't swallow it at all. All I could do was open my mouth and let it all pour out. I decided to wait to let the rest of the tea cool down. 20 minutes later and it was still too hot to drink. My mouth was genuinely very sore for not only the remainder of the day but for a good week after that and I had to eat soft foods too. If I had it in me, I think I would have gone down the compo route.

My wife has baths and showers with the water temperature set a few degrees off molten lava. I think you have an extreme intolerance to warm beverages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,229 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

How much of a scumbag do you have to be to watch your son take the lid off a hot beverage, spill it on himself, then have the balls to claim for it?

Medical treatment is advised for 1% partial thickness burn, i.e the size of your hand. Critical is 20% in children. He's fine. They took his clothes off, ran it under water and gave him first aid. What else do you want?

If a coffee is very hot, I'll know after the first sip and leave it for a few minutes. I guess some people can't figure that out...

If they get rid of free tea and coffee on transatlantic flights we can thank them for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

I stopped off in a coffee shop before to get a tea. I ordered a pot of tea. It was a nice day and I took a seat outside in the shade. The waitress came and served my tea. I poured tea into the mug and milk to my liking. I don't like very hot tea and I like a lot of milk because of this. I took a mouthful of tea and it was bad. It was far to hot and couldn't swallow it at all. All I could do was open my mouth and let it all pour out. I decided to wait to let the rest of the tea cool down. 20 minutes later and it was still too hot to drink. My mouth was genuinely very sore for not only the remainder of the day but for a good week after that and I had to eat soft foods too. If I had it in me, I think I would have gone down the compo route.

for your own sake i hope your getting needed mental help and most likely someone to supervise you at all times.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 189 ✭✭Little Less Conversation

scamalert wrote: »
    for your own sake i hope your getting needed mental help and most likely someone to supervise you at all times.

It's always someone else's fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

I thought the water used to make coffee wasn't supposed to be very hot as it burns the beans or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,229 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I thought the water used to make coffee wasn't supposed to be very hot as it burns the beans or something?

Ideally not boiling but I believe it's close to it. It's funny how the majority of us can make a cup of tea or coffee and drink without a lid no problems. Also for those of us who did spill a cup when pouring the kettle it probably didn't require medical attention or a lawsuit.

I started drinking coffee when I was 11 or 12, made them myself. Never managed to spill it on myself and cause burns.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Candamir

siblers wrote: »

A drink at 60 degrees C can cause second degree burns. If someone serves me a coffee at 60 degrees I’m going to be pissed off, send it back and expect a proper cup. 80 degrees is a more acceptable temperature. But then they might get sued. Can’t win really. Bloody ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,134 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

professore wrote: »
    It's served in a pressurised container.

Really?

Which container would that be?

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Candamir

GreeBo wrote: »
    Really?

Which container would that be?

In fact the boiling point of water in an aircraft will be around 90 degrees C. So definitely no chance of reaching those lofty 100+ heights!! :pac::pac:

Nothing worse than Luke warm coffee, if you’ve paid circa €3.00 for it.

Advertisement