Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

05-10-2018, 13:50   #1
Purple Mountain

No boozing on certain trains to the West

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.rte.ie/amp/1001158/

IE has banned the carriage on and purchase of alcohol on certain trains to Galway and Westport due to antisocial behaviour by a minority of people of these routes.
They claim it's down to large groups on board at carts in times.
I'm assuming it's stag and hen parties.
Is this a step too far in a nanny state or justified when the majority of other passengers are inflicted with noise and general shenanigans of a drunken group?
Personally I think no one should be allowed bring alcohol on board (no different to a plane) and that if you purchase alcohol on board,.there should be a designated area like the dining car to drink it and for over 18s only.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
05-10-2018, 13:52   #2
Graces7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Mountain View Post
https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.rte.ie/amp/1001158/

IE has banned the carriage on and purchase of alcohol on certain trains to Galway and Westport due to antisocial behaviour by a minority of people of these routes.
They claim it's down to large groups on board at carts in times.
I'm assuming it's stag and hen parties.
Is this a step too far in a nanny state or justified when the majority of other passengers are inflicted with noise and general shenanigans of a drunken group?
Personally I think no one should be allowed bring alcohol on board (no different to a plane) and that if you purchase alcohol on board,.there should be a designated area like the dining car to drink it and for over 18s only.
Totally justified.
05-10-2018, 13:55   #3
Johnny Dogs

Ever been on a 2.5hr journey with a group of pissed up fúckwits sat across the carriage from you, and them playing dance music though the speakers of their phone?

Torturous.

Not sure about banning it outright, but definitely have a designated carriage for it.
05-10-2018, 13:56   #4
seamus
Dental Plan!

Send a message via MSN to seamus
It's always been a bit of a weird anomaly.

Allowing people in enclosed spaces on moving vehicles to consume as much alcohol as they like? Shure what could go wrong?

I've done it myself and it's a nice bit of craic, but not everyone can be trusted to be reasonable, and even sensible drinkers can be loud and annoying for everyone else after a few drinks.

I'm kind of surprised it took this long to be banned tbh.
05-10-2018, 13:58   #5
DEFTLEFTHAND

It's not fun for the other passengers and staff when drunks are on board.

I'd be inclined to agree with Irish Rail.
Advertisement
05-10-2018, 13:59   #6
SEPT 23 1989

That's a shame love sitting back on a train having a few cans enjoying the scenery
(3) thanks from:
05-10-2018, 14:01   #7
TerrorFirmer

No problem with the ban. Nothing worse being stuck next to a group drinking on a bus/plane/train and the objective seems to be who can make the most grating, senseless loud noise possible.
05-10-2018, 14:03   #8
Blahfool

Stag nights me hoop.
as a regular on the 7.30pm to Galway on Fridays you can always tell the difference between a group of men / women in good spirits and a group that are going to be make the whole journey a cringe. And yes, what's up with the phone music? It's like an 8yr olds birthday party!
must be a cultural thing.
Thanks from:
05-10-2018, 14:04   #9
Purple Mountain

I don't do rail travel often.
Maybe 3 times a year. Cork-Dubl8n route and always weekend travel.
Never once have I experienced anyone drinking (bar a business person maybe unwinding with one wine) let alone drunk.
I only once saw a hyper group of 30 something year old women gearing up for a Westlife concert but they were just chatting and giggling.
I must be very lucky to have escaped the torture!
Thanks from:
Advertisement
05-10-2018, 14:06   #10
elperello

Better to deal with problem passengers rather than impose drink ban on the decent majority.
05-10-2018, 14:07   #11
rossie1977

Most people who cause trouble on these trains are already drunk before they get on. Probably would be smarter to adopt a policy like the airlines where if someone is drunk they don't get on train.

Banning all alcohol will likely mean people will smuggle the heavier stuff on board.
05-10-2018, 14:08   #12
DEFTLEFTHAND

Quote:
Originally Posted by elperello View Post
Better to deal with problem passengers rather than impose drink ban on the decent majority.
Maybe Gardai should have a rail police unit.
05-10-2018, 14:11   #13
DEFTLEFTHAND

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossie1977 View Post
Most people who cause trouble on these trains are already drunk before they get on. Probably would be smarter to adopt a policy like the airlines where if someone is drunk they don't get on train.

Banning all alcohol will likely mean people will smuggle the heavier stuff on board.
I've seen this in the UK after football games.

Loads of people get refused travel for being too drunk.

But they've an entire transport police network to enforce these rules.
(3) thanks from:
05-10-2018, 14:12   #14
Mint Sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Dogs View Post
Ever been on a 2.5hr journey with a group of pissed up fúckwits sat across the carriage from you, and them playing dance music though the speakers of their phone?

Torturous.

Not sure about banning it outright, but definitely have a designated carriage for it.
Not sure about a designated carriage for consumption of alcohol, but maybe the re introduction, and expansion of a quiet carriage.
(2) thanks from:
05-10-2018, 14:21   #15
Feisar

I used to work in Belfast, would get the trin up on a Sunday evening for the week. Ham and cheese sambo, packet of crisps and four bottle of stout. Stick a film on the laptop and happy days.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion