Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Rolex - Fake or Real

Options
  • 21-09-2018 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭

I lived in the UK years ago and I have an old Rolex with only half a bracelet. I've never been sure if it's real or fake because I bought it in a car boot sale. I wore it for years before the bracelet broke and had forgotten about it until I recently found it.
    It has lots of wear and tear on the glass. There are no markings or serial number on the back. Does this mean it's fake? I wonder if it's worth having it assessed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Gorteen

OmegaGene wrote: »
    I’m no expert but it looks real to me and you should get it checked out, if that’s real it’s worth big money
    Wish you luck with it

:eek: Big Money? It's very scratched and there's only half a bracelet! I wonder would it be nice to get repaired, although you have me worried that repair might also be big money!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Check at the 6 o'clock position to see if you can make out a serial number there, a google of the number should flag if it's a fake very quickly. This site might be useful for you https://www.bobswatches.com/rolex-serial-numbers

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Gorteen wrote: »
    :eek: Big Money? It's very scratched and there's only half a bracelet! I wonder would it be nice to get repaired, although you have me worried that repair might also be big money!

Depends what you classify as big money, I know people that are horrified at the thought of paying ~€500 every decade to get a watch serviced. If that is a genuine model then you'll have the nice option of either getting it repaired or sold (dips first shout at buying it if you want to sell it :D)

I found the serial number after I took off the (remaining) bracelet.

https://est1897.co.uk/serial-numbers-check-year-of-manufacture-online

It may be real! Year of manufacture either 1949 or 1957/1958. If it's real, does this make it valuable?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,742 ✭✭✭893bet

In bought in car boot it’s most likely fake but.......it looks real enough!

If real it’s a rare one! Reference 1019!

Get someone to open the back and the movement will reveal all its secrets!

https://www.chrono24.com/rolex/ref-1019.htm#gref

893bet wrote: »
    In bought in car boot it’s most likely fake but.......it looks real enough!

If real it’s a rare one! Reference 1019!

Get someone to open the back and the movement will reveal all its secrets!

https://www.chrono24.com/rolex/ref-1019.htm#gref

What does Reference 1019 mean?

What does Reference 1019 mean?

1019 is the model number or reference number of the watch.

Fingers crossed!

Many thanks for all the advice and info

Can someone recommend any place where I can get an honest appraisal as to it's status (real or imitation), cost of repair versus current market value?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭bren2002

Nobody has asked yet, does the second hand tick in a stop start every second sense or is it more of a sweep that's could be described as 5 ticks per second.

• Advertisement

Many thanks for all the advice and info

Can someone recommend any place where I can get an honest appraisal as to it's status (real or imitation), cost of repair versus current market value?

Where are you based?

Midlands

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭per aspera ad astra

bren2002 wrote: »
    Nobody has asked yet, does the second hand tick in a stop start every second sense or is it more of a sweep that's could be described as 5 ticks per second.

This...

It's difficult for me to tell (I'm not an expert on old stuff) but at first glance it's not an obvious fake. The $20 fakes you can spot a mile away. The $100 fakes are harder from a few photos but you know when holding it generally.

The crown on the face looks raised and the face looks high quality (when you look past the wear damage)

Midlands

Not a recommendation, just a search result.
    But as above, if its a 1 per second tick, its a fake. Doesn't mean a sweep hand isn't a fake, but it just puts more ticks (so to speak) in the real column.

This...

The watch is stopped at the moment. It's been at the bottom of a box if bits & bobs in my shed for about 14 years :rolleyes:

It might benefit from a service (if it's the real deal) :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭per aspera ad astra

200_d.gif

If its the real deal it could pick up from where it left off if you wind it or even carry it around in your pocket for a few hours (I assume the strap is broken)

The real deal doesn't use a battery.

The watch is stopped at the moment. It's been at the bottom of a box if bits & bobs in my shed for about 14 years :rolleyes:

Give it a small wind and then a shake and see if it moves!

If real then a service and request to keep the watch as original!

This chap comes well recommended!

http://thevintagewatch.net

First port of call is to get the watch back off!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Can someone increase the intrigue and give a rough valuation on the assumption it is real??

• Advertisement

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Look at the link to chrono24 posted earlier
    If it was me I’d be sending it to fellows for auction once it all checks out of course

Would you get the work done or let it go "as is"?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Can someone increase the intrigue and give a rough valuation on the assumption it is real??
    In working cleaned condition, I'd reckon it could fetch around 15 grand(that would be more an auction price, dealer prices would be higher of course).

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Would you get the work done or let it go "as is"?
    Depends on the cost of the work required G. You need proper expert advice on this as Rolex themselves will often devalue a piece by replacing visible parts that collectors want with age and originality. Though if I recall rightly, lately they don't do that at least without permission. I'd reckon if the work required to improve it aesthetically is around a thousand euros you'd get more for it come sale time. Pity the other half of the bracelet is missing. That hurts the value. Rolex bracelets alone can go for many thousands. It's a good time to sell mind you as the Rolex market has never been so buoyant. There's a feeding frenzy on most, but particularly some vintage and rarer pieces. A 50's Milgauss like yours is one of them.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

In the first two photos the seconds hand is in different positions... So not completely stopped?

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    In the first two photos the seconds hand is in different positions... So not completely stopped?

You're right. It moves when I give it a shake. It's neither a very clear tick motion nor a sweeping motion, if you know what I mean

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Old Milgauss is a very collectable watch. I would get it to an expert for evaluation, congratulations on a good find.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Thread followed....

Screenshot_20180921_220325_You_Tube.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Man i hope this is real! Best of luck OP, fingers crossed for you

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

I haven't a clue about watches but was intrigued when I saw this on the front page.

In my completely uninformed opinion, it looks like the bottom of the crown is thicker on the OP's watch then the one's in the link above?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Wibbs wrote: »
    In working cleaned condition, I'd reckon it could fetch around 15 grand(that would be more an auction price, dealer prices would be higher of course).

Great stuff. This thread could give us the climax we have all been waiting on since the safe thread !!!! ;)

Advertisement