Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Rolex - Fake or Real

Options

Comments

I stumbled upon this thread by accident and I know absolutely nothing about watches or timepieces but I'm loving this! I hope you get a million grand, OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

Sorry couldn't resist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiIIkQO95z4

Congrats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

I am so delighted with this thread, thread of the year. A rare find seeing as everyone know rolex is valuable. More power to you OP, you will have to spend a bit of dosh on experts but a nice windfall. Sell the watch cause a Milgauss ( I am a big fan and have a commoner gardener new one) is a real collectors piece, and not a watch for "general" rolex fan consumption. You need to put that in front of people who would be willing to pay the big bucks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

I know nothing about watches, saw this in "trending" on the main page, and I am commenting to be able to say I was there when this wonderful thing was happening. Well done OP, best of luck with whatever you choose. Haven't seen it mentioned yet but you should stick it on the house insurance for a start. Or if there is a watch specific equivalent.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭shmeee

ThunderCat wrote: »
    I know nothing about watches, saw this in "trending" on the main page, and I am commenting to be able to say I was there when this wonderful thing was happening. Well done OP, best of luck with whatever you choose. Haven't seen it mentioned yet but you should stick it on the house insurance for a start. Or if there is a watch specific equivalent.

Same as. This brought a smile to my face on a gloomy Wednesday at work.

Cracking find OP, hope you make a fortune!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Ah that's brilliant news. The best of luck with it whatever you decide. Looking forward to seeing a few pictures when cleaned up.

Reminds my of this classic from '96

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Have to echo the other posts.

I've nothing more expensive than a Garmin and haven't a clue about all this but really enjoying the thread. A reminder perhaps why there will probably always be a corner of the Irish net for boards.

Good luck OP!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Congratulations OP.

What a find and what a surprise you must now be having.

It is just a shame that you wore it for 10 years and it ended up a bit wrecked.

Have you got the other end of the bracelet or is half of it missing?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,816 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

This has got me wondering if an old Tudor I have is worth anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭bren2002

cnocbui wrote: »
    This has got me wondering if an old Tudor I have is worth anything.

Are you joking?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I'm pretty sure I've an old casio watch that has a stopwatch, timer and can play 'love me tender' as the alarm, in a drawer somewhere. Might dig it out and fire an email to one of the valuers mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,816 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

bren2002 wrote: »
    Are you joking?

I don't actually know what you mean, as there seem to be two possible ways to view that.

Yes I have an old Tudor dating from the 1950's. Since Tudor ar made by Rolex...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭bren2002

I don't actually know what you mean, as there seem to be two possible ways to view that.

That's it, Tudor are a rolex subbrand. It won't be as valuable as a rolex but I doubt it's less than 750 maybe even a 1k base.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Whew, nice one OP. Delighted for ye. Don't spend it all in the one shop :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Gorteen

Congratulations OP.

What a find and what a surprise you must now be having.

It is just a shame that you wore it for 10 years and it ended up a bit wrecked.

Have you got the other end of the bracelet or is half of it missing?

Yes, I found the missing part of the bracelet. It's being repaired with some repair/replacement to the clasp.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I got a 50's Tudor back in the 90's. Cost me 50 punts. Years later I gave it to someone's mum as it was a bit small on my wrist. She wears it for "good wear". Last time I looked that particular model was worth about 1000 quid. That's "I need to sell it within a week on ebay" value. IMHO about the truest value. I might get more if I waited. Maybe another 200 quid.

Maybe take a few pics and fire up another thread. Jaysus the feckers are coming outa the woodwork. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I got an old tudor aswell. It is a bit on the small side for my liking so I can't say I ever really wear it. Must get it valued at some point.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Suckit wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure I've an old casio watch that has a stopwatch, timer and can play 'love me tender' as the alarm, in a drawer somewhere. Might dig it out and fire an email to one of the valuers mentioned.
    :D Nada wrong with Casio. Bloody great brand and one that gave us the icon(if you're a watch nutter) that is the G-Shock.

Actually if you have an "old Casio" from the 80's that looks like this...
    casiodw5000c.jpg?w=545
    and on the back it says "DW-5000C", you likely have the first G-Shock model and they're worth a fair few quid these days. Major collectors market for them.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

cant wait to see how this turns out...well done OP

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Absolutely love this story, and the fact that it’s a Milgauss is even better. I’ve always loved that design and the story behind it. I tried on a new one a few years ago, but it was too big for me. Does anyone know if the vintage models had smaller diameters?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,412 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Gorteen wrote:
    Yes, I found the missing part of the bracelet. It's being repaired with some repair/replacement to the clasp.

Out of curiosity, was it in that state when you bought it or did it get that way over the years languishing in your toolbox?

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, was it in that state when you bought it or did it get that way over the years languishing in your toolbox?

It was in ok condition when I found it in the box. I wore it for 10 years or more and because I assumed it wasn't real, I wasn't so careful with it. All the scratches and damage to the glass was while I wore it. The bracelet broke about 14 or 15 years ago and I remember being in the shed at the time so I just threw it into a toolbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

You couldn't write this stuff....goodluck with it OP

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Great story Gorteen, somewhere there are at least two ppl born in 1967 drooling over this. Congrats, what really adds to it is that you wore it for 10 years and thought it was a fake:D.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »
    Great story Gorteen, somewhere there are at least two ppl born in 1967 drooling over this. Congrats, what really adds to it is that you wore it for 10 years and thought it was a fake:D.

It's being serviced, cleaned and repaired at the moment. If you know any guys drooling at the thoughts of this watch, let me know :D

I'm unlikely to keep it because it is so valuable and I wouldn't have much appreciation for such a good watch!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I'll give you 20 quid for it. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭idnkph

New Home wrote:
    I'll give you 20 quid for it.

I'll go to 25 lids

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Damned gazumpers!

• Advertisement

Congrats OP.
    This is like a boards episode of Antiques Roadshow :D

Advertisement