Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone's new "Gigabox" (Powerstation)

Options
  • 20-09-2018 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭

s-l1600.jpg

Info about this is a little scarce so thought it deserved a post:

Model: SHG3000
    Date of Last Certification: 2018-01-26
    Brand: Vodafone Group PLC
    Product: Gigabox
    Model Number: SHG3000
    Category: Access Point for Home or Small Office (Wireless Router)
    Hardware Version: VOX30v1
    Firmware Version: XS_3.4.10.00
    Operating System: Linux
    Frequency Band(s): 2.4 GHz, 5 GHz
    CLASSIFICATION
    Wi-Fi CERTIFIED™ a
    Wi-Fi CERTIFIED™ g
    Wi-Fi CERTIFIED™ n
    Wi-Fi CERTIFIED™ ac
    Model Number: SHG3000 / VOX30 
    Modem: ADSL / ADSL2 / VDSL2 / 35b / G.fast / G.inp 
    CPU: Broadcom BCM63136, ARM Cortex A9 Dual Core 1GHz
    2.4GHz WiFi: Broadcom BCM4360 b / g / n, 3x3, 450Mbit 
    WiFi 5GHz: Broadcom BCM4366 ARM Cortex A7 800MHz, a / n / ac, 4x4 MU-MIMO, 1733Mbit 
    WIFI ANTENNAS: 7 antennas in total, 3 -> 2.4GHz , 4 -> 5GHz. 
    RAM: 512MB DDR3L-1866 
    FLASH: 256MB 
    ONT: optional on 
    USB SFP port: 2 x USB 2.0 
    LAN: Gigabit 4 LAN + 1 WAN 

At a glance this appears to be a real offering thats actually up to facilitating 300Mb and Gigabit connections.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

* In Italian *

The downfiring LEDs are a real nice touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,423 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

it has to be better than the current yoke, awful awful thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,300 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

ED E wrote: »
    s-l1600.jpg

Info about this is a little scarce so thought it deserved a post:

Model: SHG3000

Model Number: SHG3000 / VOX30 
    Modem: ADSL / ADSL2 / VDSL2 / 35b / G.fast / G.inp 
    CPU: Broadcom BCM63136, ARM Cortex A9 Dual Core 1GHz
    2.4GHz WiFi: Broadcom BCM4360 b / g / n, 3x3, 450Mbit 
    WiFi 5GHz: Broadcom BCM4366 ARM Cortex A7 800MHz, a / n / ac, 4x4 MU-MIMO, 1733Mbit 
    WIFI ANTENNAS: 7 antennas in total, 3 -> 2.4GHz , 4 -> 5GHz. 
    RAM: 512MB DDR3L-1866 
    FLASH: 256MB 
    ONT: optional on 
    USB SFP port: 2 x USB 2.0 
    LAN: Gigabit 4 LAN + 1 WAN 

At a glance this appears to be a real offering thats actually up to facilitating 300Mb and Gigabit connections.

When is this expected?

TheDriver wrote: »
    it has to be better than the current yoke, awful awful thing.

Just use mine as a modem. Wireless disabled.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

lawred2 wrote: »
    When is this expected?

They are already being supplied by Vodafone.

/M

• Advertisement

Marlow wrote: »
    They are already being supplied by Vodafone.

/M

Since when? I just renewed asked were they upgrading the modem and he said that we had the latest?

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

Since when? I just renewed asked were they upgrading the modem and he said that we had the latest?

Are you on SIRO ? They supply them with SIRO connections.

/M

Are you on SIRO ? They supply them with SIRO connections.

/M

So only for SIRO? So these are only fibre modems?

So only for SIRO? So these are only fibre modems?

No. They can also be used for ADSL and VDSL as per specification above.

But the question is, if they have bothered testing it on OpenEIRs VDSL platform. They might not want to use it on that. Your best bet is to ask the question in the Vodafone forum here on boards: https://www.boards.ie/ttforum/1270

/M

No. They can also be used for ADSL and VDSL as per specification above.

But the question is, if they have bothered testing it on OpenEIRs VDSL platform. They might not want to use it on that. Your best bet is to ask the question in the Vodafone forum here on boards: https://www.boards.ie/ttforum/1270

/M

I've been told by support that it's only for SIRO

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

OpenEir's rolling out 35b 'super-vectoring', so I would assume this would be used with it too.

EdgeCase wrote: »
    OpenEir's rolling out 35b 'super-vectoring', so I would assume this would be used with it too.

I'd say they want to get rid of stock first .. also, 35b will only benefit customers within 300m from the cab. (ish)

/M

I'd say they want to get rid of stock first .. also, 35b will only benefit customers within 300m from the cab. (ish)

/M

well we get 84Mb so I'd say we're close enough to the cab... At a guess I'd say it's 250m away

well we get 84Mb so I'd say we're close enough to the cab... At a guess I'd say it's 250m away

Wait until supervectoring becomes available so and see if they offer that at the same pricing.

They will have to provide the Gigabox for that. Doesn't work with the old one.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭AppleKidd

Hey, what router are you using?

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭illingworth22

@lawred2 I have a node0 right in the middle of the house, solid walls and all, and use my own WiFi in the main living room, do you use your WiFi router to route or is it just an access point?
    Sorry if it's a bit of a NOOB question but it has taken me months to get my Virgin internet set up to my own Archer router with port forwarding for my automated lights and my CCTV cameras.
    I would love to bin Virgin and get SIRO installed.

Also same question as
    ^ what router do you have?

If you have an issue with the CPE provided with as service the apt place to ask would be in that services thread (Siro, Eir FTTH) not in a thread specifically about another router.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

Interesting Ed. The mother in laws 658 died there last week - amber power light. She got a 659 as a replacement yesterday. She didn’t ask for the 659 so I’m wondering if they are not supplying the 658 anymore and just using up stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

I see that there's a dedicated app available for the Gigabox, https://n.vodafone.ie/vodafone-apps.html

@lawred2 I have a node0 right in the middle of the house, solid walls and all, and use my own WiFi in the main living room, do you use your WiFi router to route or is it just an access point?
    Sorry if it's a bit of a NOOB question but it has taken me months to get my Virgin internet set up to my own Archer router with port forwarding for my automated lights and my CCTV cameras.
    I would love to bin Virgin and get SIRO installed.

Also same question as
    ^ what router do you have?

HG658c

I just use the Vodafone to do the VDSL stuff with wireless disabled. It's DHCP server is active but has only one client which is our primary router. This has 5G and 2G with gigabit Ethernet. That router connects to a gigabit switch which distributes wired Ethernet throughout the house. House is prewired with cat6. There is another wireless access point upstairs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

HG658c

I just use the Vodafone to do the VDSL stuff with wireless disabled. It's DHCP server is active but has only one client which is our primary router. This has 5G and 2G with gigabit Ethernet. That router connects to a gigabit switch which distributes wired Ethernet throughout the house. House is prewired with cat6. There is another wireless access point upstairs.

The dreaded double NAT. Fine if you just want to browse but it breaks lots of stuff.

https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭BobMc

can you ask vodafone to purchase one of these I've an old 658 often gives trouble and wifi is not great due to its location ?

The dreaded double NAT. Fine if you just want to browse but it breaks lots of stuff.

https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT

I have a whole host of smart devices on the second private network... But I use dynamic DNS at the router and I've port forwarding set up for the relevant ports. Never had any issues.

I have a whole host of smart devices on the second private network... But I use dynamic DNS at the router and I've port forwarding set up for the relevant ports. Never had any issues.

That doesn't mean there aren't issues or that it's an ideal setup. Lots of things get broken, anything that uses upnp for instance console gaming.

That doesn't mean there aren't issues or that it's an ideal setup. Lots of things get broken, anything that uses upnp for instance console gaming.

Ah yeah of course it's not ideal but vodofone's modem is poor. No gigabit ethernet and only 2.4G wireless.

If I was having issues I'd have gone about a different architecture but as I have everything I need working, there's no need for me to do anything else.

Ah yeah of course it's not ideal but vodofone's modem is poor. No gigabit ethernet and only 2.4G wireless.

If I was having issues I'd have gone about a different architecture but as I have everything I need working, there's no need for me to do anything else.

Bridge the modem and add pppoe details to the router so it gets the public IP on its wan port. I'm bridging an Eir F2000 to a Mikrotik router so I have full control of my firewall

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭pk10216

I upgraded to Siro in the last two days and the engineer just hooked up to existing router ( not sure model but it's white and can do 5g). Should I have got this new box? Speed is nowhere near what I was advised getting 71 Mbps this evening with a test

Wouldnt surprise me if VF are saving a few pennies by letting upgraders keep their existing 659 and only giving Gigaboxes to new customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭pk10216

ED E wrote: »
    Wouldnt surprise me if VF are saving a few pennies by letting upgraders keep their existing 659 and only giving Gigaboxes to new customers.

Tried it on wired connection straight to router and can get 250 mbps. Will call Monday and give them cooling off period yada yada and request they give me new Gigabox router. Is it likely it could get closer to advertised speed if using this?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

pk10216 wrote: »
    Tried it on wired connection straight to router and can get 250 mbps. Will call Monday and give them cooling off period yada yada and request they give me new Gigabox router. Is it likely it could get closer to advertised speed if using this?

Are you on a 1Gb package?

Advertisement