Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

26-08-2018, 16:39   #1
DUBLINBUSGUY

New 175 route......Information please?!

Hi, all. Go-Ahead Ireland will be operating their first route from the 9th of September, route 175 from Citywest to UCD via Dundrum.

As far as I know there is no information yet about the timetable and the exact route.

All I know is that it will be stopping at Dundrum LUAS and on the main street as there are new TFI stops there.

I think that it is quite ridiculous that they seem to be waiting until last minute with giving out information about the route.

With the start of the school term basically upon us would they not have released the information earlier...What about students in UCD who could benefit from this route but they aren't able to make plans because they have no timetable/route information.

Usually Dublin Bus release timetable/service changes two weeks in advance at the latest. Today is 2 weeks until the 9th of September, when the 175 route begins operating.

Maybe today is the day. Maybe later there will be information. We must note that previous timetable/service changes by Dublin Bus usually have been on Sundays. Notice how all of Go-Ahead routes are starting operations on Sundays. So this might mean today is the day.

Also, I am a bus enthusiast. I am going to be doing a bus spin on the 9th of September on the 175 route. It is really frustrating that I don't have any information to plan a spin.

What do you think? Also.....if you have any info PLEASE SHARE.
Thanks in advance.
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
26-08-2018, 16:52   #2
devnull

The exact route map can already be found on the Transport for Ireland Journey Planner.

Go here: https://journeyplanner.transportfori...dLPxx_page=rop

Type 175 in, select it, select inbound or outbound and view on map.
(2) thanks from:
26-08-2018, 17:33   #3
Stephen15

According to this video the timetable will be structured to coincide with the start and finish times for lectures in UCD.

https://vimeo.com/279761747

I agree with the OP's sentiment. I also think this route should already be in operation to allow it to bed in and sort out any teething issues before the schools/colleges go back. It appears the start date of the 9th September is to coincide with the start of the college term.

I also think the routing choosen in and out of UCD is a poor choice, I don't see why it isin't using the Owenstown Enterance to UCD instead of the N11 which the 17 uses. I suspect it would have a timetable somewhere around the half hourly mark. I also think it would have been better if this route was extended to Blackrock DART station as this would provide an extra service between Blackrock DART and UCD.

Also when this route starts operating will the section of bus lane on Wyckham Way which is not currently in use come into use?
26-08-2018, 17:52   #4
DUBLINBUSGUY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen15 View Post
I agree with the OP's sentiment. I also think this route should already be in operation to allow it to bed in and sort out any teething issues before the schools/colleges go back. It appears the start date of the 9th September is to coincide with the start of the college term.
I wasn't actually saying that but I should have thought that. I was just saying the timetables should be released early.
26-08-2018, 17:54   #5
Stephen15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUBLINBUSGUY View Post
I wasn't actually saying that but I should have thought that. I was just saying the timetables should be released early.
I know that's just my own personal opinion.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
26-08-2018, 18:08   #6
KD345

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUBLINBUSGUY View Post

I think that it is quite ridiculous that they seem to be waiting until last minute with giving out information about the route.

Usually Dublin Bus release timetable/service changes two weeks in advance at the latest. Today is 2 weeks until the 9th of September, when the 175 route begins operating.

Also, I am a bus enthusiast. I am going to be doing a bus spin on the 9th of September on the 175 route. It is really frustrating that I don't have any information to plan a spin.

What do you think? Also.....if you have any info PLEASE SHARE.
Thanks in advance.
This route is already active on the National Journey Planner. If you put in your travel details it will return information for the 175. Dublin Bus provide 10 working days of notice before any timetable change, I’m not sure what the Go Ahead promise is but I guess we’ll see information being rolled out this week.

The timetable seems to be every 30 minutes.
Thanks from:
26-08-2018, 18:18   #7
Stephen15

Quote:
Originally Posted by KD345 View Post
This route is already active on the National Journey Planner. If you put in your travel details it will return information for the 175. Dublin Bus provide 10 working days of notice before any timetable change, I’m not sure what the Go Ahead promise is but I guess we’ll see information being rolled out this week.

The timetable seems to be every 30 minutes.
It's just the route that's on the journey planner no timetable or departures. It has been given an allocation of 6 buses which I guess would be a similar allocation to 75 or other similar orbital routes which have a frequency of around about every half hour.
Thanks from:
26-08-2018, 18:23   #8
ucdperson

Quote:
According to this video the timetable will be structured to coincide with the start and finish times for lectures in UCD.

https://vimeo.com/279761747

I also think the routing choosen in and out of UCD is a poor choice, I don't see why it isin't using the Owenstown Enterance to UCD instead of the N11 which the 17 uses. I suspect it would have a timetable somewhere around the half hourly mark. I also think it would have been better if this route was extended to Blackrock DART station as this would provide an extra service between Blackrock DART and UCD.

Also when this route starts operating will the section of bus lane on Wyckham Way which is not currently in use come into use?
Owing to building work in UCD, the Owenstown entrance doesn't go anywhere, not that UCD have bothered to change  their website map. It would be good if UCD would inform people of the new bus, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
(2) thanks from:
26-08-2018, 18:25   #9
Stephen15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucdperson View Post
Owing to building work in UCD, the Owenstown entrance doesn't go anywhere, not that UCD have bothered to change  their website map. It would be good if UCD would inform people of the new bus, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
Does the 17 not use it anymore?
Advertisement
26-08-2018, 19:21   #10
Radio Gold

Quote:
Does the 17 not use it anymore?
No the 17 is not using it either for the same reasons
26-08-2018, 21:07   #11
KD345

Quote:
It's just the route that's on the journey planner no timetable or departures. It has been given an allocation of 6 buses which I guess would be a similar allocation to 75 or other similar orbital routes which have a frequency of around about every half hour.
Are you using it correctly? I have tried it again and each time it shows route 175 with departure and arrival times.
Thanks from:
26-08-2018, 22:11   #12
Bray Head

It's a pity it doesn't use Birches Lane to get from Taney Road to Kilmacud Road upper. 

It would eliminate a big dog leg in the route which just shadows the Luas for a stop and runs along Dundrum Main Street which tends to get congested.

Birches Lane is wide and less congested.
Thanks from:
27-08-2018, 07:02   #13
Bray Head

I'm not sure how realistic the journey times for the 175 are compared to those advertised for Dublin Bus.

For example at midday UCD (stop 765) to the Square Tallaght (stop 7347) is advertised as 53 minutes on the 175. 

A combination of the 17 and 75 is advertised as taking 56 minutes, inclusive of a nine-minute change at Rathfarnham, so a journey time of 47 minutes.

There are 49 stops on each route and to my eye the 175 uses roads which are less prone to congestion.

Maybe there is padding to let the new schedule bed down but for this kind of journey the 175 should beat a change using 75 and 17.
27-08-2018, 15:12   #14
devnull

See attached for timetable.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Route-175-timetable.pdf (2.29 MB, 455 views)
27-08-2018, 15:42   #15
Bray Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by devnull View Post
See attached for timetable.
The timetable is very nice and clear. But how is anyone supposed to ascertain how many stages they will be travelling?

Or is this special knowledge that only drivers will posess?
(2) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion