Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

07-08-2018, 23:51   #1
Topgear on Dave

Apollo house mk2 - 35 Summerhill Parade?

This evenings rent protest outside the GPO seems to have ended with the occupation of a house in Summerhill Parade

https://www.broadsheet.ie/2018/08/07...-at-the-gpo-4/
A “direct action” event calling “Take Back The City” hosted by North Dublin Bay Housing Crisis Community, Blanchardstown Housing Action Committee, Dublin central housing action, Dublin Renters’ Union, Take Back Trinity, Brazilian Left Front, and Migrants and Ethnic-minorities for Reproductive Justice.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/irel...89152?mode=amp

A large number of people already got evicted from the house back in May due to fire safety.

How well organised are they and can the cops boot them out again?

Last edited by The_Conductor; 20-08-2018 at 09:49.
Advertisement
08-08-2018, 00:09   #2
johnnyskeleton
Moderate

Brazilian Left Front? I thought we were called the Peoples Front of Brazillia?

Seriously though, in terms of the Gardai, there is an offence of unlawful occupation of a dwelling:

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1.../en/print.html

Also criminal damage, theft of a service etc. However, these provisions are rarely enforced by the gardai, who will often say first off that they cant act without a complaint and second off that its a civil matter.

So the private landlord is likely to have to spend 25 grand getting an emergency high court injunction or the likes.

Last edited by johnnyskeleton; 08-08-2018 at 00:15.
(2) thanks from:
08-08-2018, 12:03   #3
garhjw

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyskeleton View Post
Brazilian Left Front? I thought we were called the Peoples Front of Brazillia?

Seriously though, in terms of the Gardai, there is an offence of unlawful occupation of a dwelling:

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1.../en/print.html

Also criminal damage, theft of a service etc. However, these provisions are rarely enforced by the gardai, who will often say first off that they cant act without a complaint and second off that its a civil matter.

So the private landlord is likely to have to spend 25 grand getting an emergency high court injunction or the likes.
Disgraceful people are allowed to do this to someone's property and not get arrested. I feel sorry for the landlord having to deal with these type of people in their property.
(3) thanks from:
08-08-2018, 12:58   #4
donkeyoaty0099

Ethnic minorities for reproductive justice? Catchy title.
08-08-2018, 14:50   #5
Samuel T. Cogley

Quote:
Originally Posted by garhjw View Post
Disgraceful people are allowed to do this to someone's property and not get arrested. I feel sorry for the landlord having to deal with these type of people in their property.

It's not a LL but a developer who is holding on to a number of vacant properties in the area in the middle of a housing crisis. If you do that you run the risk of squatters.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
08-08-2018, 17:22   #6
garhjw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel T. Cogley View Post
It's not a LL but a developer who is holding on to a number of vacant properties in the area in the middle of a housing crisis. If you do that you run the risk of squatters.
True but it doesn’t excuse criminal behaviour.
Thanks from:
08-08-2018, 17:44   #7
Gatling

I see paul Murphy is the first political cheerleader on scene
(2) thanks from:
08-08-2018, 18:52   #8
Edgware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatling View Post
I see paul Murphy is the first political cheerleader on scene
Maybe someone should go up and occupy his place
08-08-2018, 19:46   #9
Eric Cartman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel T. Cogley View Post
the risk of squatters , making them sound like rats, which is a fair comparison.
I think the same rules should apply for removal
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
09-08-2018, 06:03   #10
rossmores

It’s wrong that so many people that don’t want to work are allowed live and ghettoize the north city center while those who do and could make it better are forced to commute.
Get a job ye parasites and clean the litter you leave behind ye.
Thanks from:
09-08-2018, 06:21   #11
AlekSmart

I wonder if any of the folks involved in this action have any of the €200,000+ that remains unaccounted for after the Apollo House gig...?

It's not only Developers that follow the money.....
09-08-2018, 07:04   #12
The_Conductor

I heard one of them being interviewed on RTE radio yesterday evening on the way home- it went along the lines of:

The house has been left to rack and ruin since May- and is in a very poor state. Its full of dust. Some of us are going to go get our hoovers from home- and we'll do it up nicely- one of the guys knows how to hook up the electricity- and make it habitable. Its a beautiful Georgian house with high ceilings- it deserves to have people live in it. If we don't occupy it- the owner will probably do it up and airbnb it.........

I'm against property being left vacant as much as the next person- however, what do actions like this mean for property rights- and surely a more appropriate manner of dealing with it- would be a vacant property/site tax in the first instance- followed by CPO by the local authority?

Apparently the developer is trying to get vacant possession of a group of the properties in a row and do them up (no idea whether they intend to let them or flog them- but given the location- I doubt they'd get top dollar for them).

We have a very vocal group of people- who seem to imagine that property rights are tenuous and nebulous- and don't really mean anything.

As a total aside- the properties were vacated in May- for a long list of breaches of fire safety regulations. Who is liable if the current shower go and hook up dodgy electricity connections- and there is an inferno? Of course- they'll blame the owner- yet- its barely been vacant for 10 weeks and he/she hasn't had an opportunity to get remedial work done (if this is indeed what they plan to do).

We have a housing crisis. This type of 'direct action' may make journalists salivate and generate lots of coverage for newspapers- but ultimately- all it does is give the Minister a smokescreen to hide behind- he can wax lyrically on the relative rights and wrongs of the case- instead of what he is planning to do that will actually make a difference for those who either don't have accommodation- or just as importantly- are being priced out of accommodation.

We need solutions- this 'direct action'- is not a solution- its a distraction.
09-08-2018, 08:32   #13
Xterminator

They occupiers are alleging that the developer illegally evicted the tenants that were there. Allegation made in public, so they could be sued for libel if this were untrue.

irish times reports
Quote:
In May 20 foreign nationals were evicted with only 24 hours notice from the property, after an inspection by Dublin Fire Brigade found fire safety concerns.
The property owner has 'forgotten' to register their name since the property was purchased in 2016.

And their demand is that the council use the powers they already have to purchase the vacant property and use it to house some of the people on the housing list. not an unreasonable demand.

source irishtimes.
Quote:
On Tuesday night two men in a black SUV, believed to be associates of the owner of the building, parked outside the home for several hours, before leaving. When asked if they were connected to the owner of the property by The Irish Times, they declined to comment."
In all honesty it could be a property purchased with the proceeds of crime, etc. But even its its just someone who doesn't give a **** about their tenants and has legitimately purchased the building, it doesnt matter. homeowners have rights but obligations too.

We live in a society and there is a housing crisis. I fully agree DCC should use its CPO powers to buy and rent out vacant/derelict properties. And their not doing it enough, and they don't have access to funds to purchase enough property to make a dent in the housing list. Whats missing is the political will. If the protestors make enough headlines, the powers that be will take action that otherwise would not be taken.
(2) thanks from:
09-08-2018, 08:41   #14
Topgear on Dave

The DCC has revenue raising powers through the property tax where they could raise funds to CPO vacant property and house homeless.

However I fear this would bring people to the streets to fight it.

The Brazilian left front need to understand their opponent here.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/envi...-tax-1.3227075
09-08-2018, 16:02   #15
Lux23

Quote:
Originally Posted by garhjw View Post
Do you think they care about the state of their property?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion