Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

D&D Beginners Game: Act 1, Scene 1: The Hero Experience

Options
  • 20-04-2018 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭

The noise that hits Aesec as the guards drag them out into the arena. While his eyes struggle to adjust to the sudden burst of sunlight it's his ears that bear the brunt of the assault. Cheering. Screams of delight. Jeers. The ambiguous screeching of children.

And even before his squint can make HIM out, and before he announces his presence, you know he's there.

0603-richard-dawson-running-man-sun-1.jpg

"Laaaaaaaaaydeeeeeeez and Gentleman! Boys and girls! Good people of Fourion Prime! The verdict is in, the courts have spoken, it's Fredas, I'm Mike Rochurst and you know what that means…. It's time for "

The voice is drowned out by the crowd :

'The Hero Experience !'

And there he stands - on a stage in the centre of the arena flanked by 4 massive guards dressed like can-openers and carrying swords that could split the very earth itself. Mikael Rochurst, the kings Vizier. Smaller than an average man, with short silver hair and an entirely forgettable face, about the least threatening looking, most dangerous man you could hope to not meet. All around in stepped seats that recede as far as you can see, the crowd - a sea of colour and movement and overwhelming noise, all of them here to see you die.

"And today's show is a special one! King Castius lies dead on a slab, not 2 days cold!"

As the crowd oooooohs Mike drops his voice - "Did he die in battle, carving his enemies limb from limb? Or valiantly siring an heir on one of his lucky concubines?"

More cheers, but he signals for silence

"No! Not for him the honorable death! Denied was he the glory….. POISON!"

The crowd erupts with cries of rage, but Mike again flags for calm.

"Yes! Poisoned as he slept! Poisoned as he enjoyed a well earned respite from his tireless service to this great land! His cowardly murderers thought they could escape. They thought they could evade justice… but they don't know Fourion Prime! Tell 'em!"

The crowd scream back "You can't run from what you've done!"

"That's right! And we've got one of them right here - bring him up fellas! -

'He steals from the poor and gives to himself! He raped a dog and then ate it, making it's puppies watch!'

The guards drag him over and fling him at Rochurst's feet, then leave. They were for show - Aesec is no threat to him.

Mike Rochurst leers over him, as the crowd hiss and boo with total revulsion at the sight of Aesec.

Richard%20Dawson%20The%20Running%20Man%201987.jpg

"What is your name?

What is your crime?

Do you repent your crime?

I say, do you repent?"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

/Spits blood and teeth onto the shoes of the Vizier
    "Lies. I never poisoned anyone."

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭The Dungeon Master

OldGoat wrote: »
    /Spits blood and teeth onto the shoes of the Vizier
    "Lies. I never poisoned anyone."

Mike smiles maniacally.

'Of course you didn't - you hear this folks? We have another 'Innocent!'

The sound of laughter and jeering emanates from the crowd.

'You seem a feisty one. Good. That might serve you well.'

"I'll be back"

Mike sneers.

'Of course you will, that's what they all say.'

He addresses the crowd.

"Now folks, you all know the rules. Our king was a fair man, a great man, but yet, a man.

Only the divine may sit in judgement.
    And even a low down piece of filth like this degenerate can be of some use to the gods. It's not for us to decide.

So despite being a back stabbing, dog raping, poisoning regicidal son of a bitch, This... thief.. shall be given his choice - 3 items to guide him through the trial ahead.

And he'll need all the guidance he can get if he's going to come out the other side - none ever have! Proceed with caution, you dirty king killing bastard, but don't take too long because you know who's coming right up behind you?"

The crowd roars back: "The Hunters!"

Bf9rQz2IEAA2IGy.png

OOC: You think we'd show you the baddies this early :P

Mike roughly shoves a backpack into Aesec's hands. It seems there are already items within.

"More than you deserve you King killing bastard -

"That's right! So - what'll it be?"

Before you lies a cornucopia of equipment. Martial weapons of all shapes and sizes. Armour. Dungeoneering equipment. Rings and amulets. Scrolls and books. Fetishes, hats and helmets.

OOC: Basically you can select any three items from the shop section of the rules to bring with you.

Aesc attempts to pickpocket Mike when he's close enough while handing him the backpack.

From the backpack Asec selects a silver dagger, a set of thieves tools and studded leather armour.

• Advertisement

Aesc attempts to pickpocket Mike when he's close enough while handing him the backpack.

From the backpack Asec selects a silver dagger, a set of thieves tools and studded leather armour.

OOC: Thieves tools in the backpack given to you so you can take something else ;)

On Mike he finds nothing except a tiny silver key.

Aesc pocket the key and selects a shortbow and quiver of arrows.

The guards appear back on the stage and surround Aesc.

Mike again addresses the audience.

'And now, ladies and gents! It is time! Tell me, thief - do you have the mettle to survive? Time will tell, I suppose.'

The guards roughly grab Aesc and lead him across the arena where several wizards are focusing their energies.

A large blue portal opens up.

portal___blue_portal_by_maxiesnax-d5pcfqc.png

Mike sneers again at Aesc.

'Good luck, chap - you're going to need it!'

The guards prepare to throw Aesc through the portal.

"Wait, wait! Tell your ma I said bye for now."

"Wait, wait! Tell your ma I said bye for now."

Mike's sneer falters for a moment. He bellows at the guards:

'Throw that bastard in - I can't stand the sight of him a moment longer!'

Aesc is tossed through the portal....

OOC: Ok, OG, pausing you there till we get through the others.

• Advertisement

Fector is next to be dragged into the arena.

Mike Rochurst turns, his trademark host face back on display.

'And now, ladies, gents - children of all ages - We welcome our NEXT Contestant!

This vile dwarf was seen whoring and drinking in the tavern where the King's favorite brew was produced - the brew that poisoned him!
    I know we cannot judge - but if I could, this...creature would be strung up to die first!'

The crowd boo Fector more than Aesc had ever been subjected to.

The guards dump Fector at Mike's feet, but do not leave the stage this time after his 'show' downstairs.

'And now...

"What is your name?

What is your crime?

I say, do you repent?"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

Fector is next to be dragged into the arena.

Mike Rochurst turns, his trademark host face back on display.

'And now, ladies, gents - children of all ages - We welcome our NEXT Contestant!

This vile dwarf was seen whoring and drinking in the tavern where the King's favorite brew was produced - the brew that poisoned him!
    I know we cannot judge - but if I could, this...creature would be strung up to die first!'

The crowd boo Fector more than Aesc had ever been subjected to.

The guards dump Fector at Mike's feet, but do not leave the stage this time after his 'show' downstairs.

'And now...

"What is your name?

What is your crime?

I say, do you repent?"

"I am Fector, and im no vile dwarf, any of those women in the Tavern will say as much, despite my small stature I treated many of them to the Biggest night of their lives. My crime is being a dwarf, do i repent? No I'd rather die than deny I'm the dwarf that I am. Looking at you maybe you've a bit a of dwarf in you little man, do you repent?"

"But Fector, we have one of those women right here - let's ask her shall we?"
    Two guards carry a stretcher into the arena, upon which a crone lies, her lower body covered in white blankets clouded claret with drying blood. Upon seeing Fector she sits bolt upright and lets out a bloodcurdling scream - "THE DWAAAAAAAAAAAAARF!" - first pointing at Fector then clawing at the arms of one of her bearers before fainting. They carry her away.

"Well it looks like you're right, you made quite an impression! So if, as you confess, you're the dwarf you are; And if, as you say, you won't repent... why there's only one thing we can do with you, right folks?"

TAKE HIM TO THE HOLE!

"Give this romeo his due, Liet!"
    A conveniently named guard nods; Fector is handed his backpack and man-handled to the supply table.

OOC : Choose 3 items from pages 15 and 16 of the manual. Your backpack contains a flask pretty potent Dwarven ale.

The four guards continue to surround the dwarf known as The Hammer as the crowd turns it's jeers and hatred on Malik as he is led into the arena.

Mike speaks:

'Next we have a brute, a brute I say! There was a scuffle in the poisoner's escape from the castle, four innocent, law-abiding guardsmen lost their lives - and this animal was seen mere minutes walk from the scene of the crime!

Now, the poisoner was clearly too cowardly to murder men in cold blood with brute force - no no... But he had....

ACCOMPLICES!!

Again Malik is lead to the centre and stands in front of the host.

"What is your name?

What is your crime?

I say, do you repent?"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,574 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Malik turns away from the tiny man and faces the crowd bravely. He shouts: 'My name is Malik Trutharrow, an honest man by name and by reputation.
    I have committed no crime and bow to no mere mortal. I do not recognise this little man. The only authority I recognise is the gods themselves. They know my innocence and shall judge me accordingly.

The King is dead, Long live the King!'

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    Malik turns away from the tiny man and faces the crowd bravely. He shouts: 'My name is Malik Trutharrow, an honest man by name and by reputation.
    I have committed no crime and bow to no mere mortal. I do not recognise this little man. The only authority I recognise is the gods themselves. They know my innocence and shall judge me accordingly.

The King is dead, Long live the King!'

The crowd turn viciously on Malik, pelting him with rotten fruit, and are close to near full-on riot.

Mike smiles.

'Calm yourselves. Let the brute have his say.'

He roughly shoves a backpack into Malik's arms

OOC: Contains a health potion

'The same choice as I gave the others... Three items from the pile, no more - no less.

And then....

You shall be thrown down the...'

The crowd drowns him out.

HOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

He is led to the equipment pile where he takes his place beside Fector.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,574 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Malik shakes his head at the baying crowd in disgust and brushes the rotten fruit from his clothes.

He turns towards the pile and considers his choice carefully. He selects a sturdy looking battle axe after testing it's sharpness. It reminds him of the axe he used in the forests. He also dons a set of splint mail and, after a few minutes of thinking, he picks up a heavy crossbow and a case of quarrels.

He straps the axe across his back, latches the crossbow onto his belt and steadies himself before facing the portal.

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    Malik shakes his head at the baying crowd in disgust and brushes the rotten fruit from his clothes.

He turns towards the pile and considers his choice carefully. He selects a sturdy looking battle axe after testing it's sharpness. It reminds him of the axe he used in the forests. He also dons a set of splint mail and, after a few minutes of thinking, he picks up a heavy crossbow and a case of quarrels.

He straps the axe across his back, latches the crossbow onto his belt and steadies himself before facing the portal.

Malik and Fector, having selected their items are marched towards the portal known as the HOLE.

OOC: Fector/duffman, you can retcon your selected items in here later, just post them and add them to your char sheet/notes

Mike regards them with a wave.

'Enjoy the fall - and don't forget about the....'

The crowd roars:

HUNTERS!

The dwarf and the tall fighter are thrown through the portal...

Again the crowd is frenzying as not one, but two more prisoners are dragged out into the bright lights of the arena.

Stu Pendous, the magic user.

Brutha, the OM worshipping Cleric.

Mike turns and snarls at Brutha.

'Here he is, my friends - the Mastermind of this entire assassination plot - a Cleric of OM!'

The crowd turn on Brutha and pelt him with rubbish, several try to leave the audience and charge him

'Calm down, my friends: Judgement has been passed.

King Castius banned mention of OM not a month ago, and now he lies dead on a slab, a plan put into place by one of the vile God's most ardent followers!'

He turns to Stu Pendous.

'And what have we here? A scummy mage, one of those who wilfully used their magicks to concoct the vile brew that killed our King! Bring them over!'

Both men are forcefully dragged in front of Mike. A spear is pointed at Brutha's throat.

Mike turns and sneers:

'So I say again -

"What are your names?

What are your crimes?

Do you repent your crimes?

I say, do you repent?"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭jasonb

"I am Brutha, devout follower of the Great God Om. My crime is realising that there is more to this world than your mere fantasies. According to Book One of the Septateuch, Great God Om told us all 'Nil Illegitimo Carborundum'. As for your King, I did not kill him, nor wished him to be killed. But always remember, Bishops move diagonally; that's why they often turn up where the Kings don't expect them to be."

Brutha stepped towards the Portal and spoke a final time "I'm just going out, I may be some time."

• Advertisement

jasonb wrote: »
    "I am Brutha, devout follower of the Great God Om. My crime is realising that there is more to this world than your mere fantasies. According to Book One of the Septateuch, Great God Om told us all 'Nil Illegitimo Carborundum'. As for your King, I did not kill him, nor wished him to be killed. But always remember, Bishops move diagonally; that's why they often turn up where the Kings don't expect them to be."

Brutha stepped towards the Portal and spoke a final time "I'm just going out, I may be some time."

A guard roughly drags Brutha from the portal.

Mike laughs at him.

'You wish to traverse the trials with no equipment, Cleric? Be my guest.'

He throws a backpack into his arms and gestures to the table.

OOC: Holy Symbol within for Cleric Class

'Of course... it would be... unfair of me not to offer you the choice of 3 items, like your fellow assassinators.'

Mike encourages the crowd to laugh at the Clerics speech.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭jasonb

Brutha takes the Mace, the Banded Mail and the Holy Water.

jasonb wrote: »
    Brutha takes the Mace, the Banded Mail and the Holy Water.

Mike gestures and the guards drag Brutha to the portal.

'Let's hope your God protects you below. No one else will.'

Brutha is thrown headlong through the portal.

Stu Pendous is led to one side as again the crowd roars with fury as Echtrae and 9Lives are hauled in front of them.

Mike turns.

'And now, we have two more of the vilest people you have ever seen!

Another mage, who along with his friend (gesturing to Stu Pendous), created the poison which killed our beloved King Castius!

And the man who let them into the castle that night - a filthy thief who robs from the poor and lines his own pockets with their meagre belongings! Bring them forward!'

Echtrae and 9Lives are dumped beside Stu Pendous.

Mike eyeballs 9Lives, and turns to the crowd.

'You all know the questions, shout it at them as loud as you can!'

The crowd responds:

"What are your names?

What are your crimes?

Do you repent your crimes?

I say, do you repent?"

They are now at fever pitch, the sight of the mages who created the poison angering them even further.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,042 ✭✭✭Guffy

"Nonsense, I know no king. How could i kill that which i do not know?".

Guffy wrote: »
    "Nonsense, I know no king. How could i kill that which i do not know?".

'They always claim innocence, don't they folks!'

He slams a backpack into Echtrae's arms, and then one to Stu Pendous.

OOC: Mages, there is a quill and spellbook within. You know one Level 1 spell to begin with.

Then he throws one at 9Lives, who deftly catches it.

OOC: Thieves tools for the thief

He ushers them to the equipment pile.

'3 Items, no more, no less... then...

Down the...

Crowd:

HOOOOOOLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEE!

OOC: FYI mages, robes are what you can take, no armour allowed for your class... Leather armour for the thief if he wants it, nothing higher than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭conor222

9 Lives grabs a vicious looking dagger, a set of leather armour and a shortbow and quiver

I have wronged no-one and will be proven just!

Exhtrae snatches at the table picking up a 50 foot silk rope, ink and torches before turning and marching to the portal under his own steam.

OOC: Kolido just retcon your items in here as duffman will :)

With their items selected, Ecthrae, Stu Pendous and 9Lives are dragged to the portal.

'Hope your magick serves you well beneath, gents. Trust me, you WILL need it.'

Stu is first to be thrown into the portal, Echtrae and 9Lives wince at the force he is fired through by the guards.

Mike walks over to the two remaining.

'Any last words? Come on, we're all dying to hear from you.'

• Advertisement

"I just wish i had time for one more bowl of stew", quipped Echtrae.

Advertisement