Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Snow - Ice Warnings for Ireland 23 to 26 Nov 2017

• 22-11-2017 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,267 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

This alert applies mainly to higher parts of Connacht and Ulster from about 0400h to 1500h Thursday 23rd, but could briefly be extended into other parts of the country.

Much colder air accompanied by strong westerly to northwesterly winds that may gust to 90 km/hr will produce wintry showers especially on higher terrain (above 150 metres a.s.l.) in the northwestern counties, notably Donegal, Derry, Tyrone, Leitrim, Sligo, Mayo, higher northern parts of Galway and Roscommon.

These conditions will likely be "hit or miss" and not continuous, but be aware especially if planning to drive any longer distances that conditions may at times be quite poor in sleet, hail or even snow blowing across open countryside.

Intervals of bright sunshine will present their own hazards especially if your windshield is gummed up with the residue of these recent wintry showers.

Many of the larger urban areas will probably escape this first onslaught of a wintry period to come without much if any action, but be prepared if you're driving in the northwest tomorrow. These conditions could reappear at times on Friday in much the same parts of the country, although with perhaps somewhat lower wind speeds.

A longer-time-scale alert may be required for Monday night or Tuesday as there are some signs of an organized frontal band without much warmth to prevent a wintry mix of precip developing then. This might be more of an east Ulster to Leinster event, once again more likely to produce at higher elevations. Stay tuned on that one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Is this the polar low ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭pauldry

Jean said it would be less cold later on Sunday.

Is this just a 3 day event???

• Registered Users Posts: 14,267 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

It is the polar low and yes there may be a slight moderation late Sunday into Monday but then it looks quite cold again beyond that.

It is the polar low and yes there may be a slight moderation late Sunday into Monday but then it looks quite cold again beyond that.

Oh good.

Jean had me all depressed on her forecast showing a WARM front Sunday.

Begone mildness

• Registered Users Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭seanin4711

In jean we trust,she never lies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

"However scattered wintry showers will move into Atlantic counties - whilst snow will mainly transpire for higher ground, the odd flurry is possible on lower levels."

Some cautious optimism in the FRI/SAT Met Eireann forecast.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Certainly wintry in south Connemara at the moment. Gusts of spattery rain every so often, but mostly just calm and achey cold. Sky's looking like it will clear though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Skies just cleared here in D07 after an early morning of horribly cold misty rain getting blown about. Still very windy at the minute which is adding a real bite to the cold, but it looks from the forecasts like the wind will die off later this evening, leaving us with a calm subzero chill.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,209 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

car iced over this morning 97m above sea level SW Donegal crunchy ice underfoot

• Registered Users Posts: 23,348 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I think the big story for the next 5 days away from the northwest will be very cold nights and sharp frosts.

Looking for a -5 or -6 locally.

Where we go beyond that could yet be colder and snowier...but it's impossible to have any certainty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I think the big story for the next 5 days away from the northwest will be very cold nights and sharp frosts.

Where we go beyond that could yet be colder and snowier...but it's impossible to have any certainty.

How about a slightly elevated exposed location in West Clare? :)

I enjoy a nice frost but sadly it's never that common without a NE/E airflow.

Sunday/Monday looks slightly warmer.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,348 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Tbh I wouldn't hold out hope of much from this particular phase for the next 5 days. You could have a couple of overnight dustings. On high ground above 200 m in the northwest that'd be the place to be for snow - higher elevations further south.

It's a "good" start to winter though. Some decent frosts to be had.

If the pattern holds in to December things could get more interesting for low level snow potential. Big "if" at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,089 ✭✭✭pad199207

Yeah think I’d prefer that then the wet snow in the NW

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

The heavy rain across the country yesterday will probably keep temps from getting too low in the next few days, the ground is totally waterlogged around here. We'll see some frosts but I think -5 or -6C is being a bit optimistic

Had to scrape the windscreen already here an hour ago though so looking forward to a nice crisp cold morning tomorrow

Heavy hail in Sligo town turned paths slightly white half an hour ago but melted as 2.5c

• Registered Users Posts: 7,312 ✭✭✭naughto

Snowing heavily in Castlebar

• Registered Users Posts: 7,312 ✭✭✭naughto

Snow

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Looks to be some organised showers pushing eastwards, falling as sleet/snow in places.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

Woke up to a covering of snow / hail here in Loughrea, just had a shower of sleet. Lots of cloud overhead and very cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Lenny5

Nice dusting in castlebar this morning.
    AAKKhRL.jpg[\IMG]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,085 ✭✭✭highdef

There's a band of wintry precip in the midlands at the moment, moving west to east. Anyone under this area who can say what's falling? Maybe give your elevation too, if you know it. Laois/Offaly seem to be getting most of this large shower.

It's holding together very well as it crosses the country. Close to Enfield, I'm still sub zero....just about

• Registered Users Posts: 6,780 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Some light sleet near Roscrea (130m) Temp has risen 2.4° in last hour

Seven Worlds will Collide

Thanks CrowdedHouse. Not looking good for further east then, especially as the sun is now up as well. And you also have a bit of altitude to help.

I'm bang on 0c right now but expect a rise very soon as the sun rises, although the cloud shield from the incoming precip is also arriving.

I'd be happy to see snow fall, even :o

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭johndeere3350

Raining in North kerry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

highdef wrote: »
    Thanks CrowdedHouse. Not looking good for further east then, especially as the sun is now up as well. And you also have a bit of altitude to help.

I'm bang on 0c right now but expect a rise very soon as the sun rises, although the cloud shield from the incoming precip is also arriving.

I'd be happy to see snow fall, even :o
    Couldn't agree more. Just to see it fall on the 24 Oct is rare a hell.

Couldn't agree more. Just to see it fall on the 24 Oct is rare a hell.
    That would be exceptional if it did snow on 24th of October :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

highdef wrote: »
    That would be exceptional if it did snow on 24th of October :p

My bad. Jesus it's Christmas in 4 weeks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Snow has turned into heavy rain in Castlebar, DP has gone back up to -1.0C, was nice while it lasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Current precip radar from Netweather:

434325.jpg

Green is rain/snow mix, pink is snow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mountainy man

It just started to snow here in s.e. Sligo, lying nicely on the frosty ground.

Advertisement