Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extratropical Storm Ophelia - Technical Analysis Only - MOD NOTE post #1

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

MJohnston wrote: »
    Read the thread!

Mod Note: Tone it down MJohnston.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

At this stage its a now cast scenario. So many models and charts but this is unknown territory for a Hurricane of this magnitude. A clearer picture this time tomorrow for sure. Personally i feel this will be an event we will be talking about for many years to come.

www.waterfordweather.com

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Dow99

h2005 wrote: »
    So worst case and best case for Dublin Monday?

Worst case, Dublin is wiped out, hundreds if not thousands dead.
    Best case, it misses Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 23,482 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I wouldnt bother with HIRLAM at all. It's been like that since Wednesday. It can't pick up the depression at all.

We're pretty much in 'the window' now for accurate forecasting. None of the charts have aligned perfectly. Some of them have Mayo/Galway in the firing line (ARPEGE showing damaging median and gusts for Connaught, Munster and South Leinster), others have it missing completely (Munster, South Leinster). Some have a more intense storm penetrating very strong winds far inland while some charts (JMA, GEM, have been unreliable so far) showing more westerly position hammering mostly just South and West coatsts, some have skewered it east slightly. I wonder what Met Eireann are thinking next.

The ICON wind gust graph is incredible though. Hard to see it actually being THIS strong but at the same time it was the first chart to call the Eastward shift last night before some of the rest decided to line up.

430609.png

It's been by far the most bullish on strength.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

GFS 18Z mean speeds

tempresult_ocb6.gif

GFS 18Z gust chart

tempresult_xyi7.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

You said the exact same thing this morning

And yesterday morning when Met Eireann were to feel silly with their hype about high impact weather..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Looks increasing likely that the west will miss out on all the excitement yet again. :rolleyes:

Hate your posts in the best possible way :(

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Looking ominous for the south-east coast there

Kilmore Quay and surrounding areas may yet end up in Wales. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

GFS 18Z mean speeds

tempresult_ocb6.gif

GFS 18Z gust chart

tempresult_xyi7.gif

Again looks a lot further east. Kerry and west cork and up the west coast not as badly hit based on that chart.

Anyway tomorrow and the next 36 hours will be interesting model watching!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

fraxinus1 wrote: »
    The downgrades have commenced.

fraxinus1 - read the mod note in post #1 before you post again!

• Advertisement

That is mean speeds. Gusts on top of that.

Yep, but I was more concerned about direction though. Cork & kerry southward facing coasts appear to have winds running parallel to them, with Waterford & Wexford under a bigger threat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

https://weather.us/forecast/2960964-wexford/ensemble/euro/wind-gusts

Great link put in any location and it will give you the ensemble gusts from the ECM

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Dow99 wrote: »
    Worst case, Dublin is wiped out, hundreds if not thousands dead.
    Best case, it misses Dublin

A tad extreme there don't you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,647 ✭✭✭✭josip

After today I'm in no doubt that it's going to hit the south east hard.
    I've never seen so many flocks of seagulls on the Barrow this far in advance of a storm.

PHv9Lmz.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Paully D wrote: »
    Kilmore Quay and surrounding areas may yet end up in Wales. :eek:

Halloween tours of Loftus Hall will take place in Aberystwyth.

The Spiegeltent could end up in Glasgow.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Latest IR showing cloudtops above 40,000 ft. Santa Maria airport (in red) has peaked at 31 knots and is now down to 26 kts.

METAR LPAZ 142230Z 35026G37KT 6000 -RA SCT008 BKN015 19/18 Q1007 RERA
    METAR LPAZ 142200Z 34031KT 4000 RA BR SCT006 BKN012 19/18 Q1007
    METAR LPAZ 142130Z 36023KT 5000 RA BR SCT004 BKN010 19/18 Q1006
    METAR LPAZ 142100Z 36021KT 3000 -RA BR SCT004 BKN010 20/19 Q1006
    METAR LPAZ 142030Z 01012KT 320V040 7000 -RA FEW008 SCT012 BKN048 22/21 Q1005
    METAR LPAZ 142000Z 04007KT 010V070 7000 -RA SCT012 BKN048 22/20 Q1005

430610.PNG

I'm not sure why but thats the coolest thing ive seen on here yet.

Also thanks to everyone for the updates, this is a real informative place even though ive no idea what ye are talking about mostly.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Not good. Celebrate the mundane if you must; I shall not. :P

I'd rather celebrate my roof remaining intact.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,482 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

This is starting to gather a lot of attention internationally.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

https://weather.us/forecast/2960964-wexford/ensemble/euro/wind-gusts

Great link put in any location and it will give you the ensemble gusts from the ECM

I got 90mph in my location! Impressed with that..bye bye roof slates!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,242 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Zzippy wrote: »

perfect storm track is one that leaves your own house unscathed while giving you a great view of that asshole at number 13's roof getting lifted off

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

Zzippy wrote: »

But there would be nothing to celebrate if there was no storm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

This is starting to gather a lot of attention internationally.

Indeed, but most people I spoke to say locally "it's a whole lot of nothing" or "it's just a bit of wind"

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Akrasia wrote: »
    perfect storm track is one that leaves your own house unscathed while giving you a great view of that asshole at number 13's roof getting lifted off

Hey! I'm in No. 13!

(no, no I'm not)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Met Eireann on Radio 1 just now with Liz Walshe . current high winds expected on south SW coast However a slight deviation in track will give strongest winds to south and south east coast. local thunderstorms forecast to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

I do get the impression that Waterford/Wexford will bear the brunt of this storm.

I was chatting to a carpenter/roofer earlier. He said he is very busy doing extensions in and around Galway. He said you wouldn't believe the amount of loose roof slates and slates that have fallen into gutters. He reckon a big storm could send them all flying. More work for him I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

The track could still change, either to the west or east but as it stands Waterford is going to get hammered.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭JuanJose

MJohnston wrote: »
    It's quite windy here already (South Donegal).

This has nothing to do with Ophelia really, it's actually due to be extremely calm wind wise Sunday evening into early Monday morning.
    On the money there. Having experienced a tropical storm in 2005, where its arrival was preceded by an eerie calm & an odd rise in air temperatures, winds at this juncture are not Ophelia related.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

12Z ECMWF winds at 100 metres. Subtract about 5-10% to get standard 10-metre winds. Pink area is Force 9-11, gold is Force 12. Some strong stuff up the Irish Sea.

09Z
    ecm0125_nat_100uv_mslp_2017101412_045.jpg

12Z
    ecm0125_nat_100uv_mslp_2017101412_048.jpg

15Z
    ecm0125_nat_100uv_mslp_2017101412_051.jpg

18Z
    ecm0125_nat_100uv_mslp_2017101412_054.jpg

21Z
    ecm0125_nat_100uv_mslp_2017101412_057.jpg

• Advertisement

Mod Note : Reminder that there is a chat thread re preparations / disruptions see below . Best keep this thread for more technical discussion.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057797471

Advertisement