Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fair City [News, Spoilers and Discussion v8] Read Post #1 Before Contributing

Options
  • 08-07-2017 7:47pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Time to start a new Fair City thread.

Please familiarise yourself with the charter before posting:

Soap Opera Charter - *** November 20th, 2013 ***

The Rules:

There should be no spam, trolling or any general muppetry. (Any of this will result in posts being edited/deleted)

Try to be friendly & courteous to each other. If things get out of hand, offenders will be banned. (Any Abuse or Racism will not be tolerated)

Commercial advertising is not permitted. (Contact the Admins if you wish to place ads on the site)

Before starting a new thread, please check see if there is already a similar thread existing. (Duplicate threads will be removed)

Any "off topic" posts will be edited, closed or deleted without warning.
    Remember, not everyone may have seen a TV show.

If you are giving away plot points, please use the spoiler tag.
    To do this, put (spoiler) (/spoiler) around the text. (replace the () brackets with [] brackets.)

It will then look like this:
    This is a spoiler

Don't ask where you can download TV shows or give any links to them. In fact try to stay away from discussion of downloading altogether.

Charter Update - January 14th, 2013

There have been several reported posts lately of lewd comments on this forum. Nobody wants to read crap about "what you'd do" to to a character of the opposite sex (or similar sexual comments). It's crass and childish. Lewd comments will earn a one week ban from this point forward.

Charter Update - October 4th, 2013

Please don't make demeaning comments about the appearance of actors that appear in your favourite soaps (saying things like they're ugly, flat chested etc.).

It's not funny or clever, and will earn you a one week ban from this forum from this point forward.

Charter Update - October 31st, 2013

It is against the charter to drag the Fair City thread off topic conversation/Stephen Jokes.

Any repeat offenders of these rules, will be banned.

Charter Update - January 24th, 2015.

Only moderators are authorised to post details of card/infractions/bans in this forum. If posters engage in this practice they will incur a one week ban.

All the usual Boards.ie rules also apply.

If there are any queries/problems, you can send a PM to one of the forum mods.

Old Fair City Threads
    Fair City v7

Fair City v6

Fair City v5

Fair City v4

Fair City v3

Fair City v2

Fair City v1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,184 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

In the last thread we had a lot of the Katy saga, the plan, Dermot going on the run and the garage explosion!
    I wonder what this thread will bring?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

In the last thread we had a lot of the Katy saga, the plan, Dermot going on the run and the garage explosion!
    I wonder what this thread will bring?

I have looked into my crystal ball and I predict...

1. Arguments between Pete and the rest of the world outside Spar, Vinos and The Station

2. Damien will put his hands in his pockets and compress his head into his chest during another argument with Caoimhe.

3. Carol will light up a fag and continue to be weirdly adulated as a great, interesting actress despite not being either.

4. Niamh and Paul stay together

5. Sean will continue to bang the doors of RTE, demanding to be let in, even if its just a few words in The Station bar.

6. Ama will continue to push any boyfriends away with her tedious "Religion comes first" boll&xs.

7. People will continue to drink 7 days a week.

8. The cult storyline will warm up around March 2018.

9. Emmet takes off his coat

10. Bob walks down a street, unaided by Renee

11. Ciaran turns up to KTs house one Tuesday evening holding a knife, demanding she be his hostage again. She agrees and they live happily ever after in The Box

12. The Talking Bread memes favorite screen will crash from overuse!

13. BuilderPlumber will re-emerge from hiding

14. Laura's sex life will be discussed with Dan and Dean

15. Sash gives back the baby when they make their holy communion

16. Jane will scheme with Cathal (could be interesting that one)

17. Rose will be diagnosed with, and die from, Alzheimers, in the space of 2 episodes.

18. The Ram will chase up another fresh bit of skirt.

19. Zoe will return from Milan, wanting her cut in The Plan.

20. Dermot wont be leaving the soap.

The future is bleak, people :D

21. We might get a glimpse of Jack!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

I have looked into my crystal ball and I predict...

3. Carol will light up a fag and continue to be weirdly adulated as a great, interesting actress despite not being either.

D

You have said this a few times?? I don't see any hype around her to be honest. If anything she is the butt of jokes! In fairness she was very good during the Billy Meehan story and a few plots with Lorcan, Garrigan etc down the years. I have heard her in real ife and she couldn't be anymore different to Caddle so at least she remains in character consistently.

When you are given a job for life (the actress will NEVER be fired/killed off without her permission given her RTE connection) after a while you just don't care it seems with many in FC so she has for the last 5 years seemed to be just going through the motions now.

But she has put in impressive stuff in the past plots

She definitely isn't hyped though.

I just looked at the first Fair City thread and we just found out who killed Lana!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Just reading spoilers for next week. Looks like Trigger is returning.

You have said this a few times?? I don't see any hype around her to be honest. If anything she is the butt of jokes! In fairness she was very good during the Billy Meehan story and a few plots with Lorcan, Garrigan etc down the years. I have heard her in real ife and she couldn't be anymore different to Caddle so at least she remains in character consistently.

When you are given a job for life (the actress will NEVER be fired/killed off without her permission given her RTE connection) after a while you just don't care it seems with many in FC so she has for the last 5 years seemed to be just going through the motions now.

But she has put in impressive stuff in the past plots

She definitely isn't hyped though.

Ah, she is definitely hyped up. Yes, in here we slag her off but if you read any articles across any newspaper when her name pops up, most recently with the Trigger story, she is spoken about in embarrassingly sycophantic tones, all stuff like "Carol has won rave reviews for her role as a child abuse victim, nominated for an IFTA, one of the greatest actresses in Ireland" etc etc and she appears on the front of the RTE guide at least 3 times a year, again with the same old backslapping rhetoric. Of course RTE Guide are going to do that but she gets rave reviews wayyyy beyond what she is worth.

She literally has been doing the same storyline over and over the last few years - light a fag, drink wine and bleat on about her hard upbringing. Boring beyond words. There are much better actresses on the show, like Heather, who deserve awards, but all the praise seems to go to her, I never got that. And as for her "connection to RTE". come on, she was a baby in an old tv show, its hardly daughter of the CEO!

I have never seen any article that says she is one of the best actresses in Ireland???? What type of sources? Tabloids? Those telly mags. RSVP? Independent.ie Hardly credible sources on the acting assessment front? I

"RTE GUIDE"...................ie a magazine edited from RTE insiders.

That is the point, once you have any connection to RTE, (hers was through her father and other members of her family which has built up decades and decades - ) it is harder to get out of the place than keep your job. It is a haven of nepotism.

William Roache is a terrible actor, but he is a face of the show so he will be a lifer. Likewise Jim Bartley.

Aisling O neill, and the actor/actress that plays Paul/Niamh are also one dimensional are also below average but again figureheads. That tends to be the premise of soaps, you do need to keep long term characters to keep some sort of legacy, sadly FAIR CITY doesn't have many as the best ones aren't going to stick around.

As I said I am not sure where you have seen this constant whittle of over hyped reviews for Caddle from anywhere credible!

I honestly can't remember seeing Aisling O neill discussed really indepth, out of the context of a FC plot apart from once on a radio show on RTE where she was obviously just plucked from the RTE cafe and she gave a bit of a chat about RTE soap history. Wasn't exactly a "This is Your Life" show!

Actually there was this article! Her Caddle Foley side coming out!

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/rte-soap-star-called-garda-fat-bitch-in-station-26023667.html

I also think her portrayal of Caddle isn't half as bad as you say it is. She has good execution of dialogue and as a character, remains consistent most of the time. Nothing to write home about but not over hyped by credible sources and merely just acknowledged as an alright Irish soap actress.

As a character, there are plenty of Caddle type people knocking about who love a fag!

bazermc wrote: »
    Just reading spoilers for next week. Looks like Trigger is returning.

Poor Wanderer!! Caddle will be shoved in our face for 3 months !

:D

My last memory of Trigger was Dan of all people chasing him around on his wheelchair (just like Mumbles in the Ballantyne that night!) and him and Robbie beating him up? What happened after?

@ The Talking Bread, it wasn't just the mainstream media that raves about Carol (and yes, I'm including TV Now, RSVP in that, what other outlet do we have in this tiny island to critique Irish actors?), it was all the viewers on FB, the official fan page etc all gushing about how "emotional" and "raw" her Trigger storyline was, id say she believes her own hype as well. She absolutely should not have been nominated for an IFTA when there are far better actresses on the show. Dusty Springfield, in a 5 minute clip with Robbie explaining her life in the laundries, made more of an effect that all of Carol's scenes put together.

I agree with you re: the nepotism, look at that Blathnaid girl who was on Glenroe as a child- she has been hanging around RTE for years afterwards doing various shows and of course she was the face of Two Tube before it was canned. She got that Dancing with the Stars gig too. Her Two Tube co workers probably have to head out of Ireland to get work but something tells me Blathnaid will still be with RTE for the rest of her life.

• Advertisement

That Blathnaid girl is actually a great presenter to be fair, a breath of fresh air. The type of shows she presents are lighthearted and she brings a good and very endearing personality to the table.

Fun and enthusiastic and seems to has good "stage" presence. Her couch surfing series on TG4 (O Tholg go Tholg) is very good. She doesn't seem to have much airs or graces about her, just seems to enjoy the jobs she is given, brings a cheerful side to shows and is very good looking as well!

Fair enough, she has contacts in RTE, but she hasn't looked out of place in her presenting roles ever. So nepotism or nepotism, she still deserves her job.

A better example that you should have used is the other Blathnaid (ni Coughdrop) who is awful and a not very nice personality either. Likewise Bonnie Ryan (is that her name). Gerry Ryan's daughter.

Dunphy is another example with his wife being RTÉ commissioning editor Jane Gogan, and Kane from Home and Away (FC producer) got his job through his Irish wife.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,980 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

That Blathnaid girl is actually a great presenter to be fair, a breath of fresh air. The type of shows she presents are lighthearted and she brings a good and very endearing personality to the table.

Fun and enthusiastic and seems to has good "stage" presence. Her couch surfing series on TG4 (O Tholg go Tholg) is very good. She doesn't seem to have much airs or graces about her, just seems to enjoy the jobs she is given, brings a cheerful side to shows and is very good looking as well!

Fair enough, she has contacts in RTE, but she hasn't looked out of place in her presenting roles ever. So nepotism or nepotism, she still deserves her job.

A better example that you should have used is the other Blathnaid (ni Coughdrop) who is awful and a not very nice personality either. Likewise Bonnie Ryan (is that her name). Gerry Ryan's daughter.

Dunphy is another example with his wife being RTÉ commissioning editor Jane Gogan, and Kane from Home and Away (FC producer) got his job through his Irish wife.

Lottie Ryan - she's a nice enough girl and pleasant but she's a definite example of nepotism. She's a very average radio and TV presenter.

Is Blathnaid Ni Chofaig only in RTE because of nepotism as well? I didn't know that. Shes the one who bullied Sheena Keane on The Afternoon Show and who nobody has a good word to say about? I remember someone who used to work with her on Echo Island rolling his eyes when asked about her, Supposed to be a complete wagon.

Strazdas wrote: »
    Lottie Ryan - she's a nice enough girl and pleasant but she's a definite example of nepotism. She's a very average radio and TV presenter.

Average? She is abysmal!! I haven't heard any positive review! Even RTE phased her out to some 6 am weekend show because she was that bad ! "Celeb" gossip read from twitter and then a terrible song!

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Niall_76

Someone asked in the previous thread about what Damian said to Caoimhe when she hit him. It was "I had a child with an idiot" or something along those lines.

Maybe they are going to go down the route of highlighting the lack of rights fathers have if they aren't married to the mother?

As someone else said it is typical Fair City pacing where there was no issue a week before and suddenly they are on the verge of a break up.

Is Blathnaid Ni Chofaig only in RTE because of nepotism as well? I didn't know that. Shes the one who bullied Sheena Keane on The Afternoon Show and who nobody has a good word to say about? I remember someone who used to work with her on Echo Island rolling his eyes when asked about her, Supposed to be a complete wagon.

I was in a bookies on Dame Street after walking out of college one day and Hectorrrrrr! was in there having a few bets! Trying to avoid eye contact with everyone!
    He got a call and said where he was and suddenly Ni Coughdrop went into the door!

I went straight in for the eardrop! They must have thought they were smart as they started talking as gaeilge, and I am more or less fluent in same so I could here everything they ssaid.
    It was back when Darcy was in Today FM and Ni CoughDrop had just had an interview on his show that morning!
    She seemed to despise him! A balding boring weasel!
    He brought up the topic of her presenting and what she had in the line and alluded to her afternoon show history, asking would she like to be back in that slot and something about the importance of connecting with/having good chemistry with fellow presenters!

She obviously thought (and she may have been correct!) that it was a dig at the bullying stuff! You would want to see the miserable face on her! Poor Heccctoorrr was just nodding and agreeing!

I think a lot of people got into things in RTE in the mid 2000's. Blathnaid always came across as a little over powering but I think a lot of them were a bit like that.
    Remember those Galway sisters. I read a post on here once and I think they went into a restaurant in Galway with their mother and asked not to be seated near the normal people!

• Registered Users Posts: 84,994 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Caoimhe should have saved someone's one life or her daughter be sick to make her want to go back into medicine as it came out of the blue

• Registered Users Posts: 17,980 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I think a lot of people got into things in RTE in the mid 2000's. Blathnaid always came across as a little over powering but I think a lot of them were a bit like that.
    Remember those Galway sisters. I read a post on here once and I think they went into a restaurant in Galway with their mother and asked not to be seated near the normal people!

Yes, I'm thinking you must have a bit of hard neck to be pursuing a career in TV presenting and two sisters on TV at the same time would suggest they were very strong minded individuals. Didn't the two of them plus Blathnaid and Daithi all come to fore via the TG4 route?

One of the most legendary periods of FC forum history produced a general election (ie a poll) due to the controversy of Stephen Jokes! "Should they continue or not" ! Christ, they were innocent times ! Imagine the amount of polls we would have to set up now!

It Produced the legendary historic Thread Rule

"It is against the charter to drag the Fair City thread off topic conversation/Stephen Jokes."

Sadly Stephen is never to be seen anymore!

• Advertisement

Next few weeks

Bob: "Give me my money Pete"
    "I want my money by the end of the week"

Mongo is getting very old looking

I thought Veno's was meant to me a Spanish/Tapas restaurant!
    Chicken salad and lasagna!

I thought Veno's was meant to me a Spanish/Tapas restaurant!
    Chicken salad and lasagna!

Since Bella took over he has really pushed the boundaries! Before that it was just tomatos and lettuce!

Ah, so that is what he was hiding in his pockets all that time!

Melanie and Mondo to get it on!

Why would Ben be humouring the people who put his father into jail???

If Fair City wan't to go all out. Maybe swap stroyline!(Can't remember tough did Kira know the sex of her baby before the birth?) but it's Fair City anything is possible.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Well that's Paul and Niamh back together then after Paul's little speech :rolleyes:

Bob's burgers is a little snake and deserves a puck!

Doug really is some dope

Damiens proposal too caoimhe = cringe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,272 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

They should have left Bob on the ground, ambulance chaser is all he is.

He seems to have forgotten that his chipper was bought by money he stole from a man he let bleed to death on the floor.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement