Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Useful Cycling Tips for Commuters.

Options
  • 05-04-2017 9:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭

OK rather than vent again about how bad driver are, how brutal Taxi drivers etc, How about a useful thread to help those commuting manage better getting from Point A to B. I've been commuting into Dublin City from North County Dublin and Glasnevin/Ballymun depending if I drive part way for about 2 months now. So after a couple of weeks I was getting very stressed by driver behaviour and indeed other cyclists. A good friend of mine who's been commuting years gave me some really good advice. And its point 1. The rest are my own observations. Please feel free to add any to the thread and hopefully some will benefit from it. These are just my own opinions and observations. Not meant to start a big debate just an attempt to help my fellow cyclists.

1. Just focus on you. People are stupid, there is nothing that can be done about that, so just try to focus on your journey. If a driver starts to get mad and beeps furiously at you etc. really what is the point in reacting, just move on, think to yourself always in these situations what can I do to get out of this safely. If you can have this mindset you will be a happier cyclist.

2. Slow Down. I have found that since I pace myself going through the heavy traffic i town, keep the heart rate down etc, I am calmer and react much better to any incidents or even negotiating traffic. Once I get to say Whitehall or Santry where the road opens up I pick up the pace then.

3. Acknowledge Drivers. A simple wave even if your in the right just to acknowledge a driver is there can prevent a lot of sh&tty altercations with drivers. For example if I have held a Taxi up in a bus lane, even though I am perfectly entitled to be there I give a simple wave as he passes. I find once I do this they never react.

4. Stop At Lights. If you actually time it, i'd say the time save from p1ssing through red lights is minimal. However the consequences for doing so are huge. Don't do it.

5. Ignore Dangerous Cyclist. If some suit on a Dublin Bike Sails through the lights at O' Connell Bridge while on the Phone (true story) so what, let him off, you are not the Bike police, no point letting it get to you, just again focus on you. I found initially my reaction was I'm gonna teach this red light jumper a lesson by catching and overtaking him as quick as possible, what is the point.

6. Light Up. I use my lights Day or Night, for the sake of a few batteries it increases the chances of been seen.

7. Queue at Lights. If there are other cyclist at lights, wait your turn and queue. If your strong enough you'll soon pass them. It's awful form to skip the queue and cut in front of people to save seconds.

8.Always be Prepared. I always assume a car is going to run a red light, a taxi doesn't see me, the bus is going pull out without indicating. With this mindet you will live longer.

9. Observe, observe, observe. I did some advance driver training years ago if I took nothing else away from it, it was the importance of observation. Drivers and Cyclist have a habit which has been trained to only observing their immediate surroundings e.g. is the lane clear, is the junction ahead free of pedestrians. While checking the basics is important it is also very beneficial to check beyond the lane, beyond the junction, all around you. Always looking always rechecking.

10. Give Yourself Time. A commute is a horrible experience if your always rushing, for the sake of 10 or 15 minutes extra in bed, get the hell up, get out and enjoy your commute in.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Give HGVs a massive berth.
    If they are at a junction, or if there is a junction coming up, wait behind them.
    If there are barriers on the path to the left, wait behind them.
    Always assume that they are about to turn left, and that they don't know you are there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I'd say the same for busses too. Sometimes it's better to just wait in lane in a line of traffic than it is to filter your way up the top

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Regarding #5...

I am of the opinion that every cyclist that breaks a red light (or cycles on paths etc.) causes all cyclists to be tarred with the same brush in motorist's eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Surely the basic rule to keep in mind is that you're the soft squishy thing surrounded by big metal things and you won't win any argument with a motorised vehicle. Proving a point is for forums and best kept off the road. Safe cycling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

-If you can adjust your start/end time to avoid the rush hours it makes the commute so much nicer.
    -I prefer to choose safer, quieter roads for my route even if they add some extra time on.
    -Get a pannier/panniers, saves your back, less sweat and better vision when you turn to look back.

Also i second the "wave" thing - it works!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭detones

Parchment wrote: »
    -If you can adjust your start/end time to avoid the rush hours it makes the commute so much nicer.
    -I prefer to choose safer, quieter roads for my route even if they add some extra time on.
    -Get a pannier/panniers, saves your back, less sweat and better vision when you turn to look back.

Totally agree on start time and route. Great points.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Don't have earphones on with music blaring. Having an extra sense while cycling is essential.

Don't think putting your hand out means cars behind you have automatically stopped. The amount of cyclists I see putting their hand out to the right and then start veering across is shocking. Most have earphones in too so can't even hear the traffic behind them.

Learn how to look behind you while still cycling in a straight line. Always have a look before changing lane.

If there's no room to go up the inside of traffic at lights, just wait. Take the lane and just wait for the lights to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭looie

The major one I notice in Dublin city centre is indicating without looking over your shoulder, which is just crazy. I've a terrible/good habit of checking over my shoulder countless times when indicating (as you would do if you were driving!) but it's frightening the number of cyclists I see that just stick out an arm and think that's all they have to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭looie

Ha, beat me to it, Wheety!

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭ChickenBalls

This thread should be a sticky it may save lives! Good post OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

Some good points there.

Commuting is non-competitive. If you really want to go fast and prove your awesomeness do it somewhere other than in heavy traffic.

I've been that soldier and it never ends well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

looie wrote: »
    The major one I notice in Dublin city centre is indicating without looking over your shoulder, which is just crazy. I've a terrible/good habit of checking over my shoulder countless times when indicating (as you would do if you were driving!) but it's frightening the number of cyclists I see that just stick out an arm and think that's all they have to do.

even worse are the amount of people who pull out without either looking or indicating. they just seem to assume that passing a stopped bus doesn't require any communication of intent.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

Own the roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Thud

even worse are the amount of people who pull out without either looking or indicating. they just seem to assume that passing a stopped bus doesn't require any communication of intent.

or passing another bike

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Thud wrote: »
    or passing another bike

true that

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

Slip roads (when not exiting) : I don't know. Dismount and walk? Down the line, right arm waving? Always dodgy, but more so at twilight.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

detones wrote:
    3. Acknowledge Drivers. A simple wave even if your in the right just to acknowledge a driver is there can prevent a lot of sh&tty altercations with drivers. For example if I have held a Taxi up in a bus lane, even though I am perfectly entitled to be there I give a simple wave as he passes. I find once I do this they never react.

I especially like this one, I don't commute into the city, but I find it works equally well for me, even as a simple "thanks for your patience " gesture.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Good luck with #7. Every single day I'll be stopped at a traffic light with other bikes and someone (almost always) on a BSO or a Dublin bike will push past the waiting cyclists to the head of the group. Light goes green and they crawl off slowing everyone down. We all pass them only for the pattern to repeat at the next light. Literally zero self-awareness.

Ciaran_B wrote: »
    Good luck with #7. Every single day I'll be stopped at a traffic light with other bikes and someone (almost always) on a BSO or a Dublin bike will push past the waiting cyclists to the head of the group. Light goes green and they crawl off slowing everyone down. We all pass them only for the pattern to repeat at the next light. Literally zero self-awareness.

Refer to #5 & #1 ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LpPepper

Always expect other road users to do exactly what they shouldn't do e.g. change lanes without indicating or checking mirrors etc

Try make eye contact with cars trying to pull out from a side road, that way they have a lesser chance of seeing right through you.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

LpPepper wrote: »
    Try make eye contact with cars trying to pull out from a side road, that way they have a lesser chance of seeing right through you.

This, doubly so with cars wondering whether they should pull out in front of you to enter a roundabout. I'm getting quite good at my 'don't even think about it' look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Some things I've learned in my years commuting.

1. Someone turning right up ahead? It's likely the car(s) behind will attempt an undertake without checking blindspots into the cycle lane. Dont speed up to prove a point, slow down and anticipate.

2. Cars coming from side roads or onto roundabouts? They tend to look far behind you down the road, scanning for cars, not bikes. Make eye contact to ensure they've seen you. Slow down if you cannot make eye contact and be ready to stop or avoid. This is in fact more dangerous at big wide junctions where the view down the road is less obscured, so they'll look before they reach the turn, will look even further behind you, and may even end up rolling around the corner, instead of stopping.

3. Turning right at a crossroads. If the right turn lane is shared with going straight on, consider a box/hook turn. Waiting in the middle of a junction makes you vulnerable unless there's a 'shield' car in front of you, also turning.

4. There is a point about 250ft before the end of a bus lane where a secret magnet is installed that pulls cars into the bus lane, as opposed to up ahead when they should change lanes. Likely people will start to move into it, especially if one up ahead does, they all follow.

5. Don't be a d*ck. Arm out to go around an obstacle, small wave to thank the driver who let you out. Someone waits a while to find a wider spot to safely overtake you, small wave to thank them. It's simple and will make a big difference.

6. Headphones are fine, just not full blast.

7. Bear in mind that there is very little that can slow a cyclist down. When you leave for work, doesn't really matter what the traffic is like, you'll be there in a fairly set time. Bit of rain might add a few mins. Extremely heavy traffic might add a few mins too. But no wildly differing commute times. Keep this in mind for red lights or little inconveniences that happen along the way. If you drive to work, some days it could take 30 mins, other days 1hr 30mins, all on stuff outside your control. It must be infuriating. So don't worry about a missed light, or waiting for someone to complete a manoeuvre. You're likely to arrive +/-5% of your usual commute time.

8. Get a camera. I personally think it makes me look like an eejit, and seeing some of the footage people post online is embarrassingly trivial to even bother posting, but it could save your skin. Could keep your cycling in check too :)

9. It's the most dad thing ever, but I got a mirror for the end of my bars. Had it for months but only the other day on a Dublin Bike did I realise how much I actually used it, it's become an involuntary action for me to look down and check it every few minutes.

10. If a cyclist breaks a red light shout "hey man, you dropped something" and then ignore any follow up conversation :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭SIX PACK

Use your Head Wear a Helmet. That's my No1 tip. & stop at Red Lights unless you have a death wish

Great post Danbo!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,503 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

If you're going to indicate, Indicate! Don't just shyly point a finger at the ground down beside your bike.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

1. Stay well out from the kerb at pinch points, junctions and roundabouts. If someone shouldn't be overtaking you, don't give them any temptation to chance it.

2.Always overtake on the right where possible. You've less chance of being doored or having someone pull across your path.

3. Never go up the inside of a heavy vehicle such as a truck or bus.

4. Never overtake on the left when approaching a left turn. Even if someone isn't indicating, they may turn.

5. Don't overtake when you don't need to. If you're going to make it through on the next light change, there's no need to barge your way to the top. You're slowing down traffic flow because everyone behind you will need to overtake you again.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭kevin7

Roadtoad wrote: »
    Slip roads (when not exiting) : I don't know. Dismount and walk? Down the line, right arm waving? Always dodgy, but more so at twilight.

This is the one thing about cycing that still makes me nervous. One careless driver going left while the cyclist is going straight is all it takes for disaster.

I guess the safe and practical way to do this is to take the slip road off and the other slip road back on to the main road. An extra climb and a bit of extra distance., and possibly a stop in the middle.

In practice I just stay on the main road, looking around as much as possible.

I feel like I can "OWN" roundabouts by taking the lane completely and drivers ARE going to see me when coming from behind. Also drivers thinking of entering the roundabout and maybe not seeing me...well - as said above - a good stare and be sure of eye contact always works (ready to pull the brakes anyway, just in case they still do it).

However....cycling by a slip road on a dual carriageway....I'm always a little bit relieved when its over with!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

One that I'd add is plan your routes so that you avoid the worst of the mayhem. IMHO a slightly longer more relaxed journey is always far more pleasant than a shorter stress filled one. Similarly if you have kids that are cycling to school, plan routes for them and cycle them once by yourself to find any potentially hazardous parts and again at least once with the child to show them how to avoid those hazards. Briefly check the bike the evening before the commute (e.g. tyre pressure, batteries in lights, glass in tyres etc..), morning when people are trying to get out the door is the wrong time for this. Also for the kids, put on tyres which give minimal grief, I put Marathon pluses with slime filled tubes on the youngest's bike because any puncture that can't be ridden home will be a call home for help.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Make a checklist of things you normally need for your commute (and stick it somewhere if you can) - covering each type of weather. I normally split it by work clothes, shower, gear and other. That way you just need to scan through it in the morning. Its a simple thing but it has meant I have never forgotten a towel or socks etc. and means I barely have to concentrate getting ready which takes any stress out of getting ready.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭g0g

I think my favourite one and one I need to focus on is #1 from the first post.

I got an IAMRUNBOX on sportspursuit which I swear by. It's great for packing my clothes for the day (shoes are left in work) and a shirt comes out of it in good nick.

Buy USB-chargeable lights - so much handier in winter months being able to charge up at your desk or in the shed (if you have power) at home.

Always wear some sort of eye protection - the amount of little bits of stuff that have bounced off my lens in the last while is shocking.

It's nice to offer help to anyone you see with a banjaxed bike on the side of the road.

Leave a spare tube in work.

Get a RoadID bracelet thingy or similar.

My only other thought would be (cheesy, I know) to appreciate it. Enjoy the fact that you live somewhere that you can cycle to work from. I commuted around the M50 for ~14 years and only in the last year live just 13ish km from my work. Every day I get to cycle I have a smile on my face. It was a big factor for me in the hunt for my most recent job move and it's honestly life-changing. Exercise and fresh air before and after work does wonders for the mind!

Advertisement