Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile Phone Repeaters to be Legalised

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

editorsean wrote: »
    Indeed, that map failed a quick test of a known Eir/Three signal blackspot - I checked Carrick (Co. Donegal), a nearby village for Eir 2G coverage:
    FdIC8AS.png

It gives fair for Eir 3G. For the Three network, it gives fair for both 2G and 3G in that spot.

Not only do I not get a signal, here's a network search standing outside roughly at that red marker:
    uSjamFw.png

Vodafone is the only network with a cell in or near that village.

As for the repeater, I have the StellaDoradus 900MHz model and it's well worth it, especially for services that rely on SMS for 2-factor authentication. The ComReg coverage map shows my house as having "Good" coverage on the Three 2G and 3G network, but in reality I had to drive about 1km for a Three signal to pick up SMS messages, by which time the session would timeout.

You won't be the only instance of this.

I worry that consumers will sign up to contracts based on what they see as impartial "information" when its really as useful as a weather forecast for 9 months time.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Comreg on the use of non-compliant illegal mobile phone boosters
    The use of non-compliant, and therefore illegal, mobile phone boosters also continues to be a significant cause of interference to mobile networks. Over 60% of interference to mobile networks in the State is caused by these devices.
    These devices are strictly illegal and may not be possessed, used or sold anywhere in Ireland.
    Illegal devices can cause interference and will be taken away by ComReg and could lead to the possible fines for the user

https://www.comreg.ie/publication-download/spectrum-intelligence-investigations-annual-report-2018-2019

https://www.independent.ie/business/technology/mobile-signals-in-rural-areas-being-weakened-by-rise-in-illegal-boosters-38536111.html

ComReg Commissioner Jeremy Godfrey on RTÉ Radio 1's Drivetime last Thursday discussing this, starts at 4:50 mins in - https://www.rte.ie/radio/radioplayer/html5/#/radio1/11091760

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭editorsean

I did wonder if any Wi-Fi repeaters would get seized also such as if any supplier put a vague description like "Repeater" on the Customs label. It turns out ComReg intentionally targets them also:
    WORKING WITH CUSTOMS & EXCISE
    A mutually beneficial working relationship has been established with Customs & Excise at the Dublin, Portlaoise, and Athlone mail centres. ComReg has provided Customs & Excise with a list of non-compliant or potentially non-compliant devices to inspect if someone is attempting to import them into Ireland. These include mobile phone boosters, Wi-Fi repeaters, GPS trackers, radar detectors, and signal jammers. Since July 2018, 283 such devices have been seized by Customs & Excise at its various mail centres and have been handed over to ComReg. About 80% were found to be non-compliant with the RED and/or EMCD. This is a 66% increase on the previous reporting period, when 170 devices were seized.

Over half the items seized were Wi-Fi repeaters (145), followed by almost 100 GPS trackers and around 10 radar detectors (going by their graph). Their graph didn't include mobile phone boosters or signal jammers.
    Wi-Fi repeaters
    The use of licence-exempt Wi-Fi repeaters rely upon a sharing protocol and devices with low output power characteristics. Non-compliant Wi-Fi repeaters operate at far higher power than that permitted by the harmonised standard. This undermines the sharing protocol and causes interference to compliant repeaters. There has been an increase in the purchase of non-compliant Wi-Fi repeaters. ComReg has seized over 145 of them in this reporting period.

They mention faulty TV antenna masthead amplifiers has the second most common cause of RFI to mobile networks after mobile phone boosters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 LaurieEdwards

Hello! I read about Irish boosters. I agree with previous authors, it is better not to buy this. I saw reviews about stelladoradus. not sure, but good reviews. But I bought myself a signal amplifier myamplifiers.com
    This is an English company. Good service. I am satisfied.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,158 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Hello! I read about Irish boosters. I agree with previous authors, it is better not to buy this. I saw reviews about stelladoradus. not sure, but good reviews. But I bought myself a signal amplifier myamplifiers.com
    This is an English company. Good service. I am satisfied.

Thanks for registering to give that recommendation, would you recommend any particular member of staff, Laurie perhaps?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 LaurieEdwards

Thanks for registering to give that recommendation, would you recommend any particular member of staff, Laurie perhaps?

I wrote to tech support and talked to Daniel. He answered all my questions.

Advertisement