Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile Phone Repeaters to be Legalised

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,502 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Curley72 wrote: »
    They are selling them already: https://www.irelandboosters.com/

3 and Vodafone advised me to reach out to them to resolve my coverage issues.
    Looks like the same old stuff that was on sale prior to regulation, I know because we used them and went through a lot of them. No indication that they meet the requirements of the Comreg regulation, the Radio Equipment Directive 2014/53/EU or are in compliance with the ETSI standards. The certificates on the site are practically unreadable.

Unfortunately most potential purchasers won't know the difference and may end up with an inferior piece of equipment that may cause network problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Curley72

I am moving to Co wicklow and the house is in a black spot with 3 and Vodafone. There will not be any upgrade to the service by either provider. So i am stuck with 1 bar only in the master bedroom upstairs. This is going to be a major issue

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Invest in a proper setup and you'll have no issues.

I am moving to Co wicklow and the house is in a black spot with 3 and Vodafone. There will not be any upgrade to the service by either provider. So i am stuck with 1 bar only in the master bedroom upstairs. This is going to be a major issue

https://www.stelladoradus.com/

They are an Irish manufacturer of mobile repeaters that meet the requirements of the regulation. They also made a submission to the consultation which Comreg took onboard in its final decision on the use of repeaters.

My brother installed one of their units last year and reception in the house has been faultless so far. They are more expensive than those far east imports but in our experience to date more reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 volker81k

Thanks Cush for the advise.

I installed a StellaHome set yesterday, the one for voice only (900 MHz). So far I'm impressed, no need to go outside to the far corner of my garden anymore when I want to make a call.
    Full coverage for Vodafone and eir.

• Advertisement

Bellissimo!

Comreg have recently added a Mobile Phone Repeater FAQ to their website - https://www.comreg.ie/consumer-information/mobile-phone/mobile-phone-repeaters/

Also, they plan to add a list of a list of manufacturers and installers of mobile repeaters to their site.
    Where can I buy one?

There are some online retailers selling repeaters that comply with ComReg’s technical conditions. Please check back on ComReg’s website soon for a list of manufacturers and installers of these devices.

Mobile networks coverage map in preparation and due by the end of the year according to a Comreg presentation to the Communications committee yesterday. Map resolution will be 10 sq. meters.

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/oireachtas-tv/video-archive/committees/1988 (video @ 51:50 & 53:20 mins)

The map is one of the actions from the Mobile Phone and Broadband Taskforce
    ComReg intends to generate and publish online a composite national coverage map, which will help consumers choose the network provider that best meets their needs for where they live and work. – Corresponds to Action no. 29

https://www.comreg.ie/consumer-information/mobile-phone/mobile-phone-and-broadband-taskforce/
    Action 29: A composite national coverage map will be generated from comprehensive data, including data provided by operators and made available by ComReg on its consumer website.

Responsible bodies: ComReg

Action Complete: Ongoing (due for delivery in Q4 2018)

Progress Made in 2017: ComReg is in the process of developing a “coverage map” to help mobile phone users understand the quality and extent of coverage across Ireland. This map will show coverage across 2G, 3G and 4G platforms for all networks.

2018 Action: This work will continue into 2018. (2018 Action 31).

Mobile Phone and Broadband Taskforce, Implementation Review 2017

Depending on LOD that could completely replace Cellmapper here but I doubt it'll be that thorough.

The Cush wrote: »
    Comreg have recently added a Mobile Phone Repeater FAQ to their website - https://www.comreg.ie/consumer-information/mobile-phone/mobile-phone-repeaters/

Also, they plan to add a list of a list of manufacturers and installers of mobile repeaters to their site.

List of mobile repeater manufacturers added to Comreg's site
    Coiler
    Email: http://coiler.com.tw/contact-us/
    Phone: +886 2 2698 2627

Nextivity
    Email: EMEA@cel-fi.com
    Phone: +44 1793 232784

SmoothTalker
    Email: info@smoothtalker.com
    Phone: 905-726-3444

Stella Doradus
    Email: info@stelladoradus.com
    Phone: +353 51 387145

• Advertisement

From last Saturday's Irish Indo, "Ask Adrian: Our technology editor tackles your trickiest tech problem", a question on bad mobile reception inside a house

https://www.independent.ie/business/technology/ask-adrian-our-technology-editor-tackles-your-trickiest-tech-problem-37459200.html

https://twitter.com/adrianweckler/status/1056466651279958018
    Question
    The mobile reception in my house is awful. I live in a recently-built terraced house that's over three stories. The signal is okay upstairs but terrible downstairs. I hate having to walk up two flights of stairs to make or take a call. Is there something I can do to improve it myself?

Answer
    Yes, but it will depend on what operator you're with and possibly what your local authority allows you to do with the exterior of your house.

For example, if your mobile contract is with Eir (formerly Meteor), you might be able to avail of its 'Wi-Fi calling' service. In a nutshell, this lets you make and take calls (and texts) using your home Wi-Fi service. This effectively converts the calls and texts into an Eir mobile format. You don't have to have Eir Wi-Fi to use it, either. However, you do have to be using a compatible smartphone (which is most new ones). The advantage here is that you're more likely to have a strong Wi-Fi signal in your home - especially on the ground floor, where your router is - than a strong mobile signal.

The bad news is that this service isn't available on Vodafone, Three, Tesco Mobile, Virgin Mobile or any of the others.

If that four-fifths of the market includes you, you could try a 'mobile repeater' device. This basically pulls an available signal from outside your house inside the walls. But this is where local authority rules come in. You need to mount a box or antenna to the exterior of your home (the roof is usually the best place to do this). A cable then runs down and through your wall into a second box inside your home, which relays the boosted mobile signal around the house.

These devices cost anywhere from €250 upwards depending on how large an internal area you want to cover and how many mobile network bands you want to include. This latter element is important. You need to know what frequency (3G, 4G and so on) your outside signal is before you buy the box as some of them are custom-made for certain frequencies and bands. (In this day and age, mobile operators still don't have standardised 3G or 4G signals across their entire network.)

You'll also need someone to install it unless you really know what you're doing.

So it's highly advisable to tread carefully on this one.

An added element of confusion rests in the legality of the boxes themselves. Up until recently, mobile repeaters were illegal to use in Ireland because they interfered with regulated mobile operator signals.

Earlier this year, Ireland's telecom regulator legalised some mobile repeater devices. However, many that you see for sale from online stores - even ones targeting Irish shoppers - are still illegal under Irish law. That doesn't mean that they won't work, but it's inadvisable to buy one.

One range of mobile repeaters you can buy is sold by Stella Doradus (which is based in Waterford) at StellaDoradus.com. Again, get some advice if you're not technically minded, as there are multiple options which cost up to €1,499.

Because I don't know what network you're with, the one I'm recommending below covers all networks and common frequencies. But it's pricey at €899.

Even if you get past all these technical and legal tests, there is one final hurdle you have to clear: your local authority. You will need to check whether you're allowed to mount a mobile repeater antenna or device on the outside of your home. Local authorities have tightened up in recent years on gadgets attached externally to personal dwellings. For example, it's common now for someone living in an urban setting to receive a letter from their council requiring the removal of a satellite dish. While alarm boxes rarely run into such problems, it's worth checking with your local authority what the rules are.

[…]

Recommendation: StellaHome-LGW RP1002 triband repeater kit (€899 from StellaDoradus.com)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Curley72

Looks like the same old stuff that was on sale prior to regulation, I know because we used them and went through a lot of them. No indication that they meet the requirements of the Comreg regulation, the Radio Equipment Directive 2014/53/EU or are in compliance with the ETSI standards. The certificates on the site are practically unreadable.

Unfortunately most potential purchasers won't know the difference and may end up with an inferior piece of equipment that may cause network problems.

So here is an update on my attempt on cost savings. I purchased one of the so called higher end boosters from Ireland Boosters. although i was getting 1 or 2 bars outside the back door, when i install the booster i was not getting much more in terms of signal indoors. It kept dropping the signal constantly. This is after paying someone to climb the steep roof to install the antenna.
    Decided to remove it and return and avail of their refund policy. Sent it back at the end of September and to date i still have not received my refund. all i keep getting is that it will be sent next week. Then they asked for my Paypal account details (not sure why) as i made payment via card.
    They tried delaying the return process by asking for video of the installation and pictures so that they can get their technical team to review. I had to pay someone to climb the roof again to video the installation. Eventually after getting pissed off with it and giving out to them and insisting that i want to return it only then did they agree and send a return address.
    They claim they have true 247 support, not sure what they mean by that as i never got to speak to technical support at any point in the installation or technical query. You speak to sales who either dont respond or fob you off.

Bottom line is - STAY AWAY FROM IRELAND BOOSTERS!!!!
    I just got off the phone threatening legal action and finally they sent me a mail that they are processing the refund.

They claim they have true 247 support, not sure what they mean by that as i never got to speak to technical support at any point in the installation or technical query. You speak to sales who either dont respond or fob you off.

From their website "Need Help? Call Our Award Winning Support Team 24/7"

Too busy collecting all those awards obviously.
    Bottom line is - STAY AWAY FROM IRELAND BOOSTERS!!!!
    I just got off the phone threatening legal action and finally they sent me a mail that they are processing the refund.

What I've noticed since Ofcom and Comreg legalised the use of mobile repeaters the cost of these far eastern imports has risen which gives them an appearance of legitimacy but in reality it's the same old equipment and they still sell cheaper than the legal repeaters.

Penny wise and pound foolish as the saying goes.

@Curley72 I got myself a repeater from StellaDorus, the basic GSM model. It's an Irish make and it works perfectly. Full coverage in the area close to the indoor antenna (depending on wall type signal strength inside can vary).
    Not the cheapest one but well worth the money. Compared to a landline you start saving after a year.

List of mobile repeater suppliers and installers added to Comreg's site
    Antenna Electronics
    Tel: 074 9537465
    Mobile: 087 6741550
    Email: antenna@eircom.net

DaltonTV
    Tel: 056 7771900
    Mobile: 087 2992300
    Email: info@daltontv.ie

E Solutions
    Mobile: 086 2554253
    Phone: 096 30565
    Email: info@esolutions.ie

ISAA

Novatel
    Tel: +353 22 23440
    Mobile: 00353 87 7681224

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

volker81k wrote: »
    @Curley72 I got myself a repeater from StellaDorus, the basic GSM model. It's an Irish make and it works perfectly. Full coverage in the area close to the indoor antenna (depending on wall type signal strength inside can vary).
    Not the cheapest one but well worth the money. Compared to a landline you start saving after a year.

Who fitted the kit?

Who fitted the kit?

I installed it myself, it is straightforward. Had it setup temporary for a while for testing but it worked right from the start.

volker81k wrote: »
    I installed it myself, it is straightforward. Had it setup temporary for a while for testing but it worked right from the start.

Same here, if you can install a TV aerial you can install one of these.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭restive

I got quoted €550 today to have one fitted in the west of Ireland.

restive wrote: »
    I got quoted €550 today to have one fitted in the west of Ireland.

What make and model were you quoted for?

A legal single band Stelladoradus unit retails for €427, so approx. €120 for the install which would be reasonable for a professional installer.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭restive

What make and model were you quoted for?

A legal single band Stelladoradus unit retails for €427, so approx. €120 for the install which would be reasonable for a professional installer.

Seems to be cheaper on eBay!

Seems to be cheaper on eBay!
    Lots on cheap boosters on the internet, any of them legal?

Is your android box legal?

Don't have one

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Nicky

Beware of buying these boosters online, especially if they are coming in from outside EU. I suspect they get flagged immediately in that case.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/broadband-and-mobile-phone-coverage-set-to-improve-in-rural-areas-under-new-plans-905803.html
    The new national mobile phone coverage map is set to go live in the coming weeks, and ComReg have designed an interactive map where users will be able to punch in their eircode to learn which network has the best signal in their area.
    Mobile Phone & Broadband Taskforce 2018

Action 31
    ComReg to publish on its consumer website a composite national coverage map, outlining telecoms operator coverage information.

Progress Made in 2018
    The availability of a composite national mobile coverage map is a significant milestone for the Taskforce. For the first time, mobile users can access coverage data from all operators in a single place. This will allow consumers to make more informed purchasing decisions and further supports the handset testing work completed by ComReg in 2018.

ComReg appointed an IT consultancy company following a tender process to deliver the mobile coverage map. Updated data was provided by Mobile Network Operators in late October and early November 2018. A test version of the Map was released to mobile operators with 4G data in December 2018.

In Q4 2018, ComReg released a coverage map with all 2G, 3G and 4G data to mobile operators and comments were provided in January 2019. ComReg is now working to go live with the map before the end of February 2019.

Mobile-Coverage-Map.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

The new national mobile phone coverage map is set to go live in the coming weeks, and ComReg have designed an interactive map where users will be able to punch in their eircode to learn which network has the best signal in their area.

That should give me interesting results, as none work inside to date here.
    In some spots outside I can get a bar or two, but no doubt with an aerial up on the roof all would be good.
    Not worth the effort so far :D

In some spots outside I can get a bar or two, but no doubt with an aerial up on the roof all would be good.
    Not worth the effort so far :D

Definitely worth the effort, my brother did this a few years ago and indoor reception has been excellent so far.

This was a desktop study and not a real mapping exercise so its practically useless unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭editorsean

Indeed, that map failed a quick test of a known Eir/Three signal blackspot - I checked Carrick (Co. Donegal), a nearby village for Eir 2G coverage:
    FdIC8AS.png

It gives fair for Eir 3G. For the Three network, it gives fair for both 2G and 3G in that spot.

Not only do I not get a signal, here's a network search standing outside roughly at that red marker:
    uSjamFw.png

Vodafone is the only network with a cell in or near that village.

As for the repeater, I have the StellaDoradus 900MHz model and it's well worth it, especially for services that rely on SMS for 2-factor authentication. The ComReg coverage map shows my house as having "Good" coverage on the Three 2G and 3G network, but in reality I had to drive about 1km for a Three signal to pick up SMS messages, by which time the session would timeout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Website broken, not a good idea to put your credit card near it until it's sorted :

Fatal Error
    • Line 148
    • Message Call to undefined method
    • File /var/www/vhosts/145/179514/webspace/httpdocs/www.stelladoradus.com/wp-content/plugins/
    Back

Advertisement