Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

18-12-2016, 12:37   #1

Storm Barbara - 23rd December 2016

The Christmas Day storm!
It already looks epic from 7 days beforehand.
The Question is will it be too windy on the day for Santy and the reindeer to land safely??
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
18-12-2016, 13:16   #2
eastmayo

Met eireann highlighted the storm for next weekend on the farming weather....extremely windy or stormy xmass eve nite into Sunday
(3) thanks from:
18-12-2016, 14:06   #3
Storm 10

Christmas Storms

Mods given the forecast for next week with the possibility of stormy conditions should we open a thread for this, delete if you don't think so
(2) thanks from:
18-12-2016, 14:15   #4

The timing is awful. Hopefully it's not going to become Ireland's Cyclone Tracy which occurred on Christmas Eve/Christmas Day 1974 and basically flattened Darwin, Australia. Obviously a far milder version of that forecast but there's a chance a destructive enough storm could happen.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyclone_Tracy

I remember in the summer of 1988 watching a 2 part (consecutive nights) TV show on RTE on Cyclone Tracy. It has stayed with me since.
18-12-2016, 16:23   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagdefy View Post
The timing is awful. Hopefully it's not going to become Ireland's Cyclone Tracy which occurred on Christmas Eve/Christmas Day 1974 and basically flattened Darwin, Australia. Obviously a far milder version of that forecast but there's a chance a destructive enough storm could happen.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyclone_Tracy

I remember in the summer of 1988 watching a 2 part (consecutive nights) TV show on RTE on Cyclone Tracy. It has stayed with me since.
My own personal worst experience of bad wind storms has to be storm Darwin on the 12th Feb 2014. All my time farming here I've never experienced anything like it or the damage caused. It was 6 days before electricity was restored to this part of wexford.
There was trees down on all the roads (some blown over from their roots, others like big oak and beech trees snapped like twigs middle ways).
There was roofs blown off sheds everywhere. We were ok but some of the cows were calved at the time and every day since the storm we were told that electricity would be back that evening, but never happened and if you ventured in the yard it was unbearable to listen to the cows bawling at you to be milked.
Eventually we got a generator and got them milked before the power came back.

But the damage to some other farmers was unbelievable. A farmer near the mountain had their milking parlour roof blown off and it even ripped the roof panel off on his tractor. Then some neighbours had tiles and slates blown off their dwelling houses and a large section of forestry on the mountain was flattened.

So while I am intrigued by our different weather conditions, you kind of don't want to see the same damage done again as before. But looking at the conditions that spawned Darwin you can kind of see similarities to this forecasted storm.
Very Strong Jetstream - Check.
Intense cold air pool in the north atlantic - Check.

http://www.met.ie/climate-ireland/we...tormDarwin.pdf
Advertisement
18-12-2016, 16:35   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedigree 6 View Post
My own personal worst experience of bad wind storms has to be storm Darwin on the 12th Feb 2014. All my time farming here I've never experienced anything like it or the damage caused. It was 6 days before electricity was restored to this part of wexford.
There was trees down on all the roads (some blown over from their roots, others like big oak and beech trees snapped like twigs middle ways).
There was roofs blown off sheds everywhere. We were ok but some of the cows were calved at the time and every day since the storm we were told that electricity would be back that evening, but never happened and if you ventured in the yard it was unbearable to listen to the cows bawling at you to be milked.
Eventually we got a generator and got them milked before the power came back.

But the damage to some other farmers was unbelievable. A farmer near the mountain had their milking parlour roof blown off and it even ripped the roof panel off on his tractor. Then some neighbours had tiles and slates blown off their dwelling houses and a large section of forestry on the mountain was flattened.

So while I am intrigued by our different weather conditions, you kind of don't want to see the same damage done again as before. But looking at the conditions that spawned Darwin you can kind of see similarities to this forecasted storm.
Very Strong Jetstream - Check.
Intense cold air pool in the north atlantic - Check.

http://www.met.ie/climate-ireland/we...tormDarwin.pdf
It was something else. We were in the middle of calving too but have a suckler herd and hadn't the pressure of milk. But the usual hassles with getting water to them etc with electricity gone. At home there were 2 hours that afternoon between 3 and 5pm that i don't recall being surpassed in storm intensity. Kilkenny city declared a state of emergency.

1997 Christmas eve just about equalled it at times for me. I had a bit of misadventure bringing a mare in from a field who reared up frightened and hit me with a front foot knocking me out for an hour! It was too dangerous to go to casualty and 20 yrs ago we'd want to be half dead to go anyway.

http://met.ie/climate-ireland/weathe...1997_storm.PDF
(2) thanks from:
18-12-2016, 18:00   #7
Agent_47

Bring it on, Storm Barbara better be good. Peanuts, wine, candles and camera at the ready
18-12-2016, 18:29   #8
Harry Palmr

Father Christmas better have some extra Reindeer power!
Thanks from:
18-12-2016, 18:32   #9
kub

What is the actual forecast?
Advertisement
18-12-2016, 18:47   #10
Storm 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kub View Post
What is the actual forecast?

http://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/far...3260/10664004/
(2) thanks from:
18-12-2016, 19:03   #11
Meteorite58

While all eyes are on Christmas eve / day we should keep an eye for the potentially very windy/ stormy weather on Fri also now starting to come in to a more reliable timeframe ( but of course open to change ). One conciliation is it looks to pass over quickly on latest runs.

18-12-2016, 19:13   #12
tylercollins

Send a message via Skype™ to tylercollins
It can stay away until I land in Dublin midday Christmas Eve!
Thanks from:
18-12-2016, 19:27   #13
JanuarySnowstor

Considering the ECM and GEM, the chances of a stormy Christmas day are low.
Oddly this also decreases the chances of any flakes as the ECM is quite mild.
Next.....
18-12-2016, 23:57   #14
Oscar Bravo

Siobhan Ryan on Radio 1 forecast there "we will probably see a few named storms before years end and we in Met Eireann are keeping a close eye on Friday at the moment"
(5) thanks from:
18-12-2016, 23:58   #15
Meteorite58

Fri looking increasingly windy

850hPa ECMWF

(3) thanks from:
Thread Closed