Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

27-07-2016, 11:07   #1
wnolan1992

JNLR Q2 2016 - 27 July 2016

So the report was published a few minutes ago according to the website. I'm assuming as usual the embargo will be until later this afternoon.

Any predictions?

I think Ray D'Arcy will continue to grow. I can see him capturing more of the Liveline audience.

I'd like to see NT Breakfast's reign with Ivan and Chris end on a high.

I think everyone's predicting 2FM's figures to be dire, so I've a feeling it'll either remain static or show some modest improvements.

Could be another tricky book for Today FM, IIRC they were down across the board last time...
Advertisement
27-07-2016, 14:05   #2
Mr Snow

98fm will loses a few listeners
nova will get more listeners
rte. radio 1 will say be the most listen station in Ireland
fm104 will be the no 1 music station in Dublin
27-07-2016, 17:03   #3
IRE60

JNLR: 2FM, which way you headed?
2FM: South, at full speed.

http://goo.gl/zGVgsC
27-07-2016, 17:10   #4
Badabing

Matt Cooper up 7,000 to 139,000, Savage down very slightly. Dempsey 180,000
Thanks from:
27-07-2016, 17:23   #5
Billy The Shiite Bag
Banned

Newstalk losses across the board. Breakfast down 7000, Hooky down 9000 and Moncrieff down 5000.and PK down 7000.

Won't be any ads this time round!

D'arcy up a couple of thousand. :/
Advertisement
27-07-2016, 17:46   #6
Badabing

According to RTE Marion Finucane has 400,000 listeners on Saturday, incredible
27-07-2016, 17:53   #7
ford fiesta

Send a message via AIM to ford fiesta Send a message via Yahoo to ford fiesta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badabing View Post
According to RTE Marion Finucane has 400,000 listeners on Saturday, incredible
the 'marion finucane' slot, including those who regularly fill in for her...not forgetting her team of researchers, producers.
27-07-2016, 17:58   #8
djemba djemba

I know you cant compare listenership between shows that are not in direct competition with one another but it is hard to believe Alison curtis has more listeners than matt cooper
27-07-2016, 18:12   #9
serfboard

I always go to iLevel's Top 30 page when these results come out, yet again he's done a great job in a short space of time (here).

A few interesting things:

1. Ronan Collins has more listeners than Ray D'Arcy.

2. YoY Anton Savage lost 20,000 listeners - Ryan Tubridy found them and a few more. Tubridy now has the seventh most popular slot on Irish Radio. While Savage is IMO exceedingly bland and I would never bother listening to him, Tubridy is a literal turn-off (the channel/radio) for me, but he's obviously doing something right. And it's not just the slot - Tubridy has increased the listenership since John Murray left.

3. What Oliver Callan calls Marian Finucane's dinner party seems to be losing popularity with listeners - it's not the presenter though, since her Saturday programme is no. 2 in Ireland. For me, I think the panel format is good, but as many commentators on the MF thread have said, it's the same old voices that's possibly the turn-off.

4. Pat Kenny again just about props up the table, which means his move from RTE was a bad investment for Dinny, what with Sean O'Rourke having 2.5 times the number of listeners.
Advertisement
27-07-2016, 18:15   #10
wnolan1992

As usual, thanks iLevel, stellar work.

Some thoughts:

2FM
Christ, this is a really bad book for 2FM. Breakfast down 11,000 listeners in 3 months and in serious danger of having comparable listenership to when they had 75 less minutes in the show, all other shows down (I'll give Tracey and Eoghan somewhat of a pass as they're relatively new), Game On pulling in a laughable 19,000 listeners... Seriously, why is Game On on 2FM? Can anyone explain that to me?

NT
Mixed bag really. Pat, while being down YoY is up 5,000 BoB, Lunchtime also made some modest gains, while Moncrieff and OTB maintained. OTB are pulling in some of their highest ever listenership (Second Captains were regularly dipping to just above the 40,000 mark IIRC), Breakfast lost minimal listeners. So book to book it isn't that bad, but the yearly trend would have you a bit worried. Especially Hook being down 11,000. They seem to be moving him to Lunchtime to bridge the gap between Pat and Sean, but if he's not able to keep his own listeners, will he be able to attract new ones?

Today FM
Dempsey and Cooper steady as ever. Matt seems to have been the bigger winner from Hook's decline, and the two drive shows are holding their audience steady, while at the same time not making any advances.
Fair play to Louise Duffy you have to say. Going out on a positive book is nice to see. Depending on how Fergal works out over the next year, maybe Today FM will come to regret this decision...
I really hope this marks the bottoming out of Anton's figures now. A very minute drop BoB I think you'd have to be happy with that. Hopefully he can kick on from this now and start to grow his own audience rather than trying to retain D'Arcy's.

Notable Mentions
- Ray D'Arcy, down 6,000 BoB, which I'm sure a lot of posters on this forum will delight in, but unless it's replicated in subsequent books, I wouldn't read too much into it.
- Marion Finucane, I honestly think 400,000 people in this country need serious help.
27-07-2016, 18:18   #11
Faugheen

Sounds like 98 had a good book.
27-07-2016, 18:25   #12
Expunge

Also worth noting, thanks to iLevel for his fantastic resources....

Lyric FM - classical and minority music station now more popular in Dublin - in terms of reach - than 2FM!

Lyric has 59,000 listeners in the capital, 2FM has 58,000

I thought I'd never see the day!

At this rate, both Nova and Sunshine (57,000 listeners a piece) could also overtake the former 'Big Station'
27-07-2016, 18:34   #13
serfboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnolan1992 View Post
Game On pulling in a laughable 19,000 listeners... Seriously, why is Game On on 2FM? Can anyone explain that to me?
Because RTE wanted to compete with OTB but also want to keep Arena in the RTE1 7PM slot. The compromise was to have it on 2FM, but I agree with you, it's a daft place to have it and totally out of character with whatever they're trying to do with 2FM.

The only thing RTE are probably thinking is that 19K on 2FM is 19K less listeners for OTB, and that's probably good enough from RTEs point of view.

RTE can't really have Arena on any later as most plays etc. start around the 8PM mark, so you'll get your audience at home and en route to events.

I enjoy Arena myself, and will only switch over to OTB when it gets too artsy-fartsy. I never even think of listening to Game On, since 2FM is at the end of my presets and I almost never go there.
27-07-2016, 18:41   #14
Expunge

Quote:
Because RTE wanted to compete with OTB but also want to keep Arena in the RTE1 7PM slot.
The sensible thing would have been to put Arena on Lyric and let R1 lash away with the sport till John Creedon. Bit late for that now.

On the 2FM thing, is this still the 'Post the death of Gerry Ryan period' or are we past that now and it's just awful programming? What's the problem?
27-07-2016, 18:47   #15
blue4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expunge View Post

Lyric has 59,000 listeners in the capital, 2FM has 58,000
I completely missed that one! I may have to do something on that (naturally there will be a hat tip). Given that my nom de plume is blue4ever here, I'd have to show just how cultured we Dubs's are and I'll be bringing a selection of Maria Callis to the Hill on August 6th for the Q final.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion