Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do you post on A/R?

Options
  • 15-04-2016 6:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭

Question I ask myself more and more frequently.

Genuinely interested in people's reasons for posting? Why did you start posting here? Is it the same reason you still post and if not what has changed in you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Kurt_Godel

Question I ask myself more and more frequently.

Genuinely interested in people's reasons for posting? Why did you start posting here? Is it the same reason you still post and if not what has changed in you.

Started posting as I needed advice on how to run/jog.

Kept on posting as I liked the place and people. It used to be a very helpful forum.

Tried to keep posting and be helpful to "give back" what I took out as I liked the community.

Stopped posting once trolls/backslappers/re-regs/arguers took over.

Would ban 50% of the crap in here if I still had the power; but power needs dedication.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Coffee Fulled Runner

I find it useful at times and some very informative people with a good knowledge of running here to interact with too.

^ Just wanted to add- what I wrote above has no reflection on the current mods. I was one of many who used to mod here and it was a lot easier and friendlier in my day. The problem is asshole posters looking for a reaction. If everyone stuck to running/athletics chat (and understood that advice from a faster runner should usually mean please and thank you) it would be a better place. Plenty of helpful and knowledgeable posters here, there always was, you just have to make your voice heard if you want it a better forum. Speak louder above the useless crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,627 ✭✭✭✭walshb

To troll?

Just kidding! Some interesting topics and some very enjoyable conversations to be had.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Be great if people could contribute to the thread positively, or, not post at all...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Myles Splitz

walshb wrote: »
    What if a poster genuinely follows and posts for whatever reason? Why censor that? The thread asks a very simple question. A host of answers may be presented. A post was deleted there for what, exactly? If he/she was being sincere then the post is surely fair.

Actually I deleted it because I didn't wanna de-rail the thread but for transparency it was calling you straight out as a troll.
    Be great if people could contribute to the thread positively, or, not post at all...

I think fact that that has to be said in a mod voice sums things up (or indeed at all) around here these days IMO.

Actually I deleted it because I didn't wanna de-rail the thread but for transparency it was calling you straight out as a troll.

I think fact that that has to be said in a mod voice sums things up (or indeed at all) around here these days IMO.

I wasn't referring to your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,055 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

I wasn't referring to your post.

Presumably you referred to mine. :)

Wasn't me who deleted it !

I thought I made a very valid point in a subtle and humorous way myself ;)

Presumably you referred to mine. :)

Wasn't me who deleted it !

I thought I made a very valid point in a subtle and humorous way myself ;)

No, not yours. Anyway, my reason for posting on AR was given. I wasn't meaning to debate-stir a mod's decision. It was just a thought. Apologies .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Anyway, my reason for posting on AR was given.

Yes, I believe it was suggested that you always take a contrary position to the majority, and you agreed and said that was why it was so entertaining.

• Advertisement

davedanon wrote: »
    Yes, I believe it was suggested that you always take a contrary position to the majority, and you agreed and said that was why it was so entertaining.

No, read my reason. It's a few posts up. You must be referring to another thread, where Racoonqueen made that observation. My reply to that was how I felt I should have replied. Oh, entertaining isn't necessarily the same as interesting. Anyway, have you a reason for posting on AR other than replying to me, again?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

I post here because you can't beat the voice of experience. There is a vast array of running talent on the board and for the average guys like me, listening to others is a part of making progress. I've also met and had a few runs with boardsies, and it's been all good!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

I used to post here because we used to talk about running. I happen to be passionate about running and found quite a few like-minded souls here.

I liked the fact that there were plenty of newbies looking for advice and plenty of experienced posters happy to give out advice, which seems like a good mix.

I particularly enjoyed seeing runners develop from newbies into fantastic runners at a serious level. Krusty is the poster boy for that but there are plenty of other shining examples.

Nowadays, and I'm sure that makes me sound like a grumpy old git, I find it hard to find anything worthwhile. Instead there's tons of in-fighting and trolling and lots of ****e I could do without, and the signal-to-noise ratio is dropping towards zero.

I guess I'm still here either purely out of habit or because I'm exceptionally optimistic to think that one day we'll start talking about running again and the fighting will stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Personally I post here because there are runners here, and fellow runners always have something useful to impart. You never stop learning. Also, like many I maintain a training log, which is the thing that keeps me anchored here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Myles Splitz

Nowadays, and I'm sure that makes me sound like a grumpy old git, I find it hard to find anything worthwhile. Instead there's tons of in-fighting and trolling and lots of ****e I could do without, and the signal-to-noise ratio is dropping towards zero.

I guess I'm still here either purely out of habit or because I'm exceptionally optimistic to think that one day we'll start talking about running again and the fighting will stop.

But you have the power to do something about that. Permabans are there for a reason why justified for the good of the forum.

In my opinion there are about 10-15 posters that probably need to go (myself probably included) Maybe need to go back to the days when mods were seen as power mad dictators :D

Benign dictatorship TFB, you are granted the ability to mould the forum as you would like it. If its going to down don't let it go down without you fighting for how you'd like it to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭overpronator

Used to post here quite a bit but have lapsed recently, work related in part but equally because of the nonsense that drags the place down. I should try to rise above that and ignore it but some posters are just so relentless that i cant be bothered.

In saying that this place has been invaluable to me and when i look at where I was when i started running 4 years ago i know i wouldnt have gone anywhere or probably stuck with running but for it. Ive also met some really great people through here too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,486 ✭✭✭✭28064212

The most obvious current problem with AR is not with the trolls and nonsense discussion. Every forum gets its fair share of that, and AR no more than most. The bigger problem here is the amount of posters who should know better responding to it. Look at some of the busiest threads on the first page:
    • Walker who fell on WW boardwalk gets 40 grand
    • The Ethics of Wearing a Marathion Finisher's Shirt When You Didn't
    • 2:30 marathon aspirations
    • Why do pedestrian lights take 1 min to change
    There's nothing "wrong" with any of these threads in themselves. But the reason they're the busiest threads is not because of the topics. They should all be low-traffic threads at best. Instead, there's dozens of posts from experienced posters, keeping the thread alive well beyond its useful life, and making sure it's kept at the top of the forum.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Back in Black

Started posting here to get advice from experienced runners and I got spades of that. Stuck around and met some great people and then met them in real life between races and for runs.

Got tired of the place when all the crap started. Then needed a clean break from Boards for various reasons (not related to anything with the A/R forum).

After a few months I missed the interaction with the training logs I followed but to be honest just stick to them now as I don't have the time or energy to get sucked in to some of the nonsense that goes on elsewhere. I also have a very busy job now and spend little time on boards compared to what I used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

I post here simply because I love to chat about all things running.
    My approach to running is quite experimental and I used to love trying things out and getting feedback on my log. Hoping to get back to that state of affairs.
    There is a actually fantastic bunch of loggers here at the moment. I don't post much on logs and maybe that's something I would get more enjoyment out of. I actually believe we are a special case with banned re-regs/sock-puppets/baiting posters here. That's for the mods though and we are lucky with whom we have and if we support them and do as they wish things will get better. I haven't posted on the 1000 mile challenge in a while but I think I've only bettered Thomas once by my estimation (I always check). Were lucky to have you, please keep it going a while longer.

As regards genuine posters we need to start talk running nice and loud as the Kurt said. If he ever fully embraced the metric system youd be looking at the complete man right there.

BTW If I was ever on mastermind one of my chosen subjects would be running @ 95% marathon pace. If anyone ever wants to ask me anything about that or otherwise) feel free to ask wherever or PM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

I post here because I get confused. Is a 'runner' a person who uses their legs to transport themselves in a fashion which is quicker than walking or does it it describe a particular item of footwear or bean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Wild Garlic

degsie wrote: »
    I post here because I get confused. Is a 'runner' a person who uses their legs to transport themselves in a fashion which is quicker than walking or does it it describe a particular item of footwear?

It's a type of bean

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

It's a type of bean

Thanks. fmp.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭Gavlor

I started posting here as I knew sweet fa about running and found this place very informative.

I didn't listen to any of the advice and performance suffered as a result. Once I started implementing some of the changes that were suggested by experienced runners my times and enjoyment of running improved. I'm no longer logging as that aspect of the forum has served its purpose for me and my motivation comes from training with real people in the club as opposed to training for kudos here.

I have to say though that I hate the backslapping/oversensitive/dramatic exits/unappreciative/self absorbed/childish/f&ckology that has become the norm here.

I currently post in the hope that it might turn around into a normal environment again and that some of the good members like ClaraLara, meno, blockic, digger, trr, abhainn etc might start contributing more regularly.

Although I suspect that ship has sailed.

Edit: I forgot to say as a follow on to my first paragraph that we are extremely lucky to have the collective knowledge and sharing of ideas from the likes of krusty, myles, enduro etc. I'm not aware of anywhere else where top athletes are willing to offer advice to people of all abilities. It is definitely a saving grace for the forum.

That and Walter Mittys (Tbl) travel-log!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Good thread. I started off posting in 2009, probably for different reasons to most. I'd posted occasionally beforehand, but there was a thread on the World Championships in Berlin and it was a super thread, full of really insightful discussion and arguments on elite athletics and that got me hooked (the championship threads these days are fairly dull in comparison as a lot of genuine track and field posters have left). I stuck around then as it was the best place at the time to discuss elite athletics in Ireland (it still is, but that's not saying much).

Had started fun running in 2008 after lazy college years, and ran the marathon in Rotterdam in 2010, and set up a log here. Got fairly slated on my log, and in hindsight deservedly so, but it actually shaped my future in this sport. I owe boards a lot for helping me make such big steps into the unknown world of track running. I set up a thread about running the mile in sub 5 minutes. It was a hugely active thread, but amongst it was village runner saying I hadn't a prayer. He had wound me up on my log previously, even though he was correct in what he was saying then, but this just put fire in the belly, and I was determined to prove him wrong. In the end, I didn't go for the mile, but rather the 400m, but I've achieved performances which are equivalent of way under 5 for the mile. So if you're reading village runner, I'd like to thank you for indirectly helping me push myself from being a fun runner, into a far better runner.

When I moved to Australia, this forum played a huge role in my life. Anybody who has lived abroad as an expat will know how tough homesickness is. This forum helped me stay connected to athletics in Ireland. Despite being so far away, I felt connected by reading these forums. I took pride in my log which I set up as soon as I arrived in Australia, as I enjoyed telling tales from my time down there, to strangers who were unfamiliar with the track scene down there. As I started getting faster the log became more important to me as I wanted to keep my entire progress in one place.

The log was a big thing that has kept me here. There have been times I've considered just giving up with it. There have been a fair few scuffles down the years. Of course when you meet these so called enemies in real life, you end up getting on great with them. Of course, I didn't meet anyone in real life until I moved home from Australia 2 years ago. So it's only in the last year that I've seen these previous online arguments for what they were, harmless enough.

Another thing that kept me here during the period of time I felt like quitting the site was that I liked sharing the interviews and articles I did, and I wanted runners and athletics people to read them.

It's hard to know what to make of the site these days. I don't think it's as good as it used to be. But I once read some poster who only started posting in 2013 or so say that the forum has gone to the dogs since then, and I was thinking to myself "eh it had gone to the dogs long before that, 2009-2010 were the real glory years". The reality is people will always look back at the time they started posting as the best time. There'll be people in 10 years complaining that the forum isn't near the quality of 2016, bless em! The incident surrounding the guy who set up a training log and took everyone for a ride is something the forum has never recovered from, and you still see it now, with pot shots taken from various groups.

I'm a bit stubborn in that I still haven't given up trying to promote track and field on this forum. I know it's a complete losing battle, which never goes anywhere, but I to refuse to give up that ghost just yet anyway.

There are a lot of frankly terrible threads on the main forum these days, but occasionally there is some good stuff.

I find it hard to engage with a lot of training logs simply because I can't really relate to distance running, being a sprinter, so I tend to only follow the ones of people I know in real life, or if one particularly sticks out.

Which brings me onto the last point. I've met a lot of sound people through this, and a few who are good friends. Overall the pros have outweighed the cons, though it has been a close run thing at times. A love-hate affair with the forum, or as Myles said recently, some of us are flies attracted to sh1te.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

As my sheer number of accounts attest to, I've asked myself that question a good few times, my little tantrums haven't exactly helped the place be more harmonious either so I'm not one to talk really on the subject of arguments.

I started posting here to have a place to discuss running as I was sick of the BS on Letsrun and all my mates were sick of me talking about running:pac: and this was a good outlet for my interests, I mean how many people are you going find out there who would sit down at a table and discuss training with, I see this place much like a runners bar or cafe where you can delve into the knowledge and experience of like minded people and they are in abundance here. That hasn't changed and it never will and is what always keeps me coming back even when all the other stuff eats into my enthusiasm, it's a perfect outlet for me as people who are knowledgeable in the topics I like are hard to find out there as they are niche in the grand scale of things.

I've learned pretty much everything I know about running because of this place and not just because of posters who know the answers but people who asked questions that made me think as well and learn more, it helps me put the pieces together and I can hopefully give back by sharing my thoughts. A/R is much like a running library for me like that.

I haven't met that many people from here mostly because of where I live and the forum being Dublin centric, the logs are brilliant and filled with character and that's a personal touch and Irish feel which you won't get anywhere else. We've had a lot of threads in the last year from the elders:p wishing for the old days and old posters back and that they made great friends back in the day from this forum and so on which they don't anymore and I always think what's changed? I think it's more of a case of the older posters not engaging with the newer posters more than anything else and this place will never be as good for them as it was until they do put in the effort wether that comes to topics or getting to know new people. Its a community at the end of it all and is what you make of it. Just a thought!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Back in our day....

No seriously I love the discussions and points of view debated in some of the threads on here (usually as far as Page 3) and then follow the tangent for a while. There is a ton of knowledge wrapped up in these pages and it could take a lifetime to work your way through it all.

For a newbie runner of any level the advice you can find and receive here in a few lines is priceless. Genuine posters with genuine questions will always be helped, this aspect of A/R always impressed me.

Experienced runners can still learn from their peers here too if they are open to it.

However I do agree with a couple of points above about mods and the treatment of mods. They seem to be looked upon more as soccer referees nowadays rather than rugby.

(Great thread starter Myles BTW)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Wottle

I started posting because I was obsessed with running but you can't run every minute of the day so boards filled the void. Community was probably smaller then so you got to know people better and I think we motivated one another.
    The forum was a blank canvas and we could share our thoughts/ideas on how to better the forum without having to think about the dick head troll waiting to jump in.

I'm still obsessed with running/athletics but not my own, I've started my 6th year of coaching kids and that now fills the void and thankfully there's not a single troll among them.

The forum today is what it is, it's not an environment I want to post in too often, yet I lurk regularly, not sure why.
    The mods have their work cut out for them, I never banned anyone when I was a mod, left that to Kurt and Myles but if I was mod again I'd ban a crap load of posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I'm a lurker now rather than a poster. I started posting here in early 2012 and followed the DCM novice thread that year. The advice I received during that period was invaluable. Before that I was making all the rookie mistakes, running every training run like it was a 5k race etc. I don't know if I would have even made it to the start line of DCM never mind doing a time I was proud of without that thread and boards in general. The cameraderie of that thread was great and it was always nice to meet people at races. I continued posting through 2013 but then became pregnant and running fell off my radar. I stopped following logs because it reminded me how much fitness I had lost.

I don't know if I missed some kind of major fall out, but when I came back to running and A/R a lot of the familiar names had gone. The vibe seemed to have changed a bit. I can't put my finger on what was different, but it's not really a place I feel comfortable posting any more.

I still lurk and follow the events threads more so than the general forum. It would still be my go to place if I needed advice. My husband has taken up running and thanks to boards, I can now point out all the mistakes he's making ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

I started posting a number of years back as I had few people to talk to about running, and I found this to be a fantastic resource.
    I've since joined a club and run with people in work so I've plenty of people to talk running with.
    Why do I post now...? I think there are some good people here and I would like to think it is of some use to people getting started. Also I feel if more, let's be honest, normal people post, it dilutes the effect of the relentless trolling.

Advertisement