Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Strong Winds & Heavy Rain Tues-Weds 26-27th Jan

• 23-01-2016 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭

On RTE weather this evening Siobhain said that we are in for severe winds on Tuesday and will more than likely be putting out warnings for this, any updates here

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

gA3xlvw.png

2mxDB9W.png

j9wtRWI.gif

g67ioUy.gif

Looks very wet also

h8ihQ4r.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

We'll pbly have an orange rainfall warning before the day is out.
    A further 2-3 inches forecast Tuesday coinciding with v high tides.
    With ground still saturated flooding looks likely.

For those not in the know it's the same system that dumped feet of snow across the US

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

We'll pbly have an orange rainfall warning before the day is out.
    A further 2-3 inches forecast Tuesday coinciding with v high tides.
    With ground still saturated flooding looks likely.

For those not in the know it's the same system that dumped feet of snow across the US

Before today is out?
    That's not Met Eireanns style.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Mods should we rename this to the Jonas storm that's heading our way for Tuesday, you could add whatever warning is necessary as the storm approaches

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Mods should we rename this to the Jonas storm that's heading our way for Tuesday, you could add whatever warning is necessary as the storm approaches

No, because we have a different naming standard to the US, and I have doubts as to whether this storm will be named in Ireland at all. If it is it won't be Jonas.

Personally I'd put the warning as a level two but let's see the opinions of more experienced posters.

• Advertisement

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Before today is out?
    That's not Met Eireanns style.

That's true usually the event is already happening.
    24hours from tonight and the UK met have a warning out since yesterday!

Carnacalla wrote: »
    No, because we have a different naming standard to the US, and I have doubts as to whether this storm will be named in Ireland at all. If it is it won't be Jonas.

Personally I'd put the warning as a level two but let's see the opinions of more experienced posters.

Well on the forecast at 1pm she said Storm Jonas will hit Ireland on Tuesday and Wednesday

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

That's true usually the event is already happening.
    24hours from tonight and the UK met have a warning out since yesterday!

Sky News showed the Met warnings,up to 8 inches of rain forecast for parts of Britain.

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Well on the forecast at 1pm she said Storm Jonas will hit Ireland on Tuesday and Wednesday

No she didn't, she said "A front associated with the Storm Jonas" that's currently affecting north-east USA'

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭howlinwolf

I think met.ie have already hinted at the associated front with its outlook forecast. Id imagine if things stay the same overnight then they will have warnings in place tomorrow sometime.

Much of Monday night will be cold and dry with frost in places and lowest temperatures of 0 to 3 degrees. Rain will develop in the west overnight and spread to many areas by dawn.

Tuesday will be a very wet day with spells of heavy rain in all areas at times. the rain will continue through Tuesday night. There will be further spells of heavy rain on Wednesday. Large amounts of rain will fall over the two days with flooding likely in many areas. Highest daytime temperatures of 10 to 12 degrees with fresh to strong southerly winds on Tuesday and lighter winds on Wednesday.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Strong winds more widespread in latest runs, a lot of area possibly being covered by an orange warning for wind.

kj440d5.gif

KY9JxLU.png

EVvWeWi.png

An idea of rainfall accumulations up untill early Weds. The East getting off lightly. Mountainous regions taking much of the rain from Orographic lift.

kUXO1lm.png

Track of the Storm

J8YfcKz.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 48,124 ✭✭✭✭km79

howlinwolf wrote: »
    I think met.ie have already hinted at the associated front with its outlook forecast. Id imagine if things stay the same overnight then they will have warnings in place tomorrow sometime.

Much of Monday night will be cold and dry with frost in places and lowest temperatures of 0 to 3 degrees. Rain will develop in the west overnight and spread to many areas by dawn.

Tuesday will be a very wet day with spells of heavy rain in all areas at times. the rain will continue through Tuesday night. There will be further spells of heavy rain on Wednesday. Large amounts of rain will fall over the two days with flooding likely in many areas. Highest daytime temperatures of 10 to 12 degrees with fresh to strong southerly winds on Tuesday and lighter winds on Wednesday.

Forecast updated now
    Mention of flooding no longer there
    It now says higher ground will see most of the heavier rainfall

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Looking like an unsettled week.

I am keeping a closer eye on Jonas's evil twin, even though Jonas will bring some strong winds.

Models beginning to pay a bit more attention to it and deepening it further. If it develops a little quicker than expected, which is the current trend it could prove troublesome

gfs-0-60.png?18

• Registered Users Posts: 13,469 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Yellow rainfall warning for Grange.

Rainfall potentially up to a maximum of 25mm from Monday night - Tuesday afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,013 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

200mm of rain mentioned for parts of the UK from this event

That can't be right surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,469 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

200mm of rain mentioned for parts of the UK from this event

That can't be right surely?

It can if it's mountainous regions such as the Scottish mountains which frequently get hit by such quantities of rainfall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

Looking like an unsettled week.

I am keeping a closer eye on Jonas's evil twin, even though Jonas will bring some strong winds.

The Jonas brothers

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭outsourced_ire

Yellow warnings out now...

STATUS YELLOW

Wind Warning for Ireland
    South to southwest winds of 60 to 65km/h, with gusts of 100 to 110km/h are expected tonight and for a time tomorrow. Winds could reach higher speeds at times in some exposed Atlantic coastal areas.

Issued:Monday 25 January 2016 10:00
    Valid:Tuesday 26 January 2016 00:01 to Tuesday 26 January 2016 14:00

STATUS YELLOW

Rainfall Warning for West Munster, Connacht and Donegal
    Heavy rain expected overnight and Tuesday morning with falls of 30 to 40mm expected in West Munster, Connacht and Donegal, possibly larger values on high ground

Issued:Monday 25 January 2016 10:00
    Valid:Tuesday 26 January 2016 00:01 to Tuesday 26 January 2016 12:00

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,691 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

So an average winters night in Ireland ahead then, some moderate rain and a short lived gale on the Atlantic. These alerts threads are devalued by the cry wolf index.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    So an average winters night in Ireland ahead then, some moderate rain and a short lived gale on the Atlantic. These alerts threads are devalued by the cry wolf index.

I agree to some extent with the alert threads being way more common lately than in previous years but the title does say level 1, the lowest warning alert, as does met.ie warning of a yellow warning. I do think some people skip over this important point when reading the threads.

I think some people just cry conspiracy because they have nothing else to do. This has to be the least hyped up front this winter and we still have comments like the above.

61679969.jpg

Tell that to the unfortunate people who are still flooded and who are no doubt dreading more rain and wind

Looks like storm force 10 for quite a few parts tonight.
    I would have thought that was orange category for wind?

Also there's a huge swathe of rain moving up across the country in the early hours.
    I wonder are the met being a little complacent.

Also high tides coinciding

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Why does everyone of these threads descend into this drivel time and time again. For better or for worse, there is a weather warning system in place - deal with it.

Back to the weather please.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Why does everyone of these threads descend into this drivel time and time again. For better or for worse, there is a weather warning system in place - deal with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭saltsun

ronnie3585 wrote: »

Agree, I've no strong opinion about the colour system, and by all means comment, but there's a fair amount of tit for tat sniping happening around it. Constantly picking at that point doesn't add a thing to the thread, you know, about the weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭RoisinD

Very unfair statement. I have just walked (or tried) some fields and after a few showers this morning the place is flooded again. Don't know what it is like where you are but here in Clare, as I am sure in other parts of the country many places are still flooded from the last system. Any more rain on top, such as that predicted over the coming days has the potential to majorly setback any small improvement there has been.

There are families really struggling and I am not talking about those who built on flood planes but some who have lived where they are for generations who may never be able to return home so any warning of what you call 'moderate rain' is very welcome. During the last episode of rain many places in this area of North Clare flooded that have never flooded before.
    We are also very used to gales be they short lived or not and are well prepared but for those who get them only occasionally I am sure the alerts are also useful.
    In conclusion there is nothing 'cry wolf' about these alerts and certainly I and all in this area would prefer to have them than not. So to those posting and keeping us all informed a very big thank you and keep up the good work. It is appreciated by many.

• Advertisement

Met eireann have upgraded the marine warning from yellow to orange.Wonder if the national warning will get an upgrade. I would imagine the west and north west will fall into the orange warning.

Marine Weather Warnings

STATUS ORANGE

Gale Warning

1. Southerly gales this afternoon on the Irish Sea.

2. Gale to storm force southerly winds developing overnight on all coasts of Ireland and the Irish Sea.

Issued:
    Monday 25 January 2016 12:00

Advertisement