Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strong Winds & Heavy Rain Tues-Weds 26-27th Jan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,107 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Its very regular to have Orange marine warnings and Yellow land warnings.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭howlinwolf

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Its very regular to have Orange marine warnings and Yellow land warnings.

I understand that, but with the mention of storm force winds I would assume the coastal counties of the west and north would be pulled into the orange warning. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

howlinwolf wrote: »
    I understand that, but with the mention of storm force winds I would assume the coastal counties of the west and north would be pulled into the orange warning. :confused:
    I'm certain we had lesser winds during the winter when storms were named.
    Storm force surely means orange.

I laugh at the word coastal.
    The 5 largest cities in Ireland are coastal so coastal basically covers 80% of the population

howlinwolf wrote: »

Storm force far out at sea.

You have to find a happy medium though, if you live at say Loop Head you will already expect stronger winds, whereas if you live in places like Ennis, Galway, Castlebar, that's where the warnings are aimed at.

Just look at what happens on this fourm, if there's an orange warning for the West, people from Dublin come on here complaining that it was a nonevent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Storm 10

ME totally confuse me at times, they have an Orange warning for wind on their website and just now after the news it's Yellow

• Advertisement

Storm 10 wrote: »
    ME totally confuse me at times, they have an Orange warning for wind on their website and just now after the news it's Yellow

Ah here I've even explained this before.

The one on the Website is a MARINE warning. Its beside the LAND warning which is yellow.

Its really not that hard.

Ah here I've even explained this before.

The one on the Website is a MARINE warning. Its beside the LAND warning which is yellow.

Its really not that hard.

I know that but they should explain the warnings on their TV forecast, as far as the normal viewer is concerned it's Yellow as they don't look at the website like we do here

But as far as they should be concerned its yellow. The marine warning is ONLY valid for people out at Sea, who have their own specialized forecasts.

Start telling people about orange warnings and stuff they will ignore the proper orange warnings when they do come along and won't take action when it's needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I know that but they should explain the warnings on their TV forecast, as far as the normal viewer is concerned it's Yellow as they don't look at the website like we do here

Yeah but the marine warning is only relevant for people going to sea. Stressing it on the main forecast would confuse too. I'm sure those going to sea don't rely on the TV forecast and look to the sea area forecast on radio instead.

Hold on chaps they issued storm force winds for South , West and North coasts that storm will affect people living on Coasts as well not just at sea, not getting into an argument but that's just my take on it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,879 ✭✭✭pauldry

Surely just say

25 to 35mm and gales in a marquee at top of weather page

Yellow warnings are just a wet night

Could be some strong winds at times

Hold on chaps they issued storm force winds for South , West and North coasts that storm will affect people living on Coasts as well not just at sea, not getting into an argument but that's just my take on it

Take whatever you like out of it.

Met Eireann have published guildlines for warnings. If we are not going to get winds in the Orange level warning, they won't issue it. Ignore our points all you want but it doesn't change the facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Much of the media are saying STORM JONAS is hitting us. Does this not change due to originating in the states or is it even a storm and rather just the usual alerts or will it be even named?

jimmynokia wrote: »
    Much of the media are saying STORM JONAS is hitting us. Does this not change due to originating in the states or is it even a storm and rather just the usual alerts or will it be even named?

It is the ex Storm Jonas, but that name isnt recognised here, so it's basically a Low Pressure system. It won't be a named storm here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

It is the ex Storm Jonas, but that name isnt recognised here, so it's basically a Low Pressure system. It won't be a named storm here.

I see.some of the papers are making a big deal out of it

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Take whatever you like out of it.

Met Eireann have published guidelines for warnings, that apply to met warnings across Europe, so that there is a standard for out of the ordinary weather reporting that do not require language interpretation.

If we are not going to get winds in the Orange level warning, they won't issue it. Ignore our points all you want but it doesn't change the facts.

FYP to emphasise that what's now happening is not just a local thing designed to upset weather nerds on the Internet, it's Europe wide, for good reasons.

We're on the edge of a very volatile weather generating system, and the result is that parts of Ireland get weather that "the system", and others would deem extreme on a significantly more regular basis that most, and the "extra" warning levels that we are now seeing are the result of adopting that system, but if it means that tourists from other EU countries are made aware of out of the ordinary conditions without having to go into the specific details, then I for one welcome that, in the same way that if I am in (say) Austria, and I see a weather warning on a TV forecast, I don't need to know German to be able to make a reasonable guess at the likely conditions that will result from the weather in the area.

As time goes on, maybe some of the trigger criteria will need to be adjusted, but on the whole, the warnings are appropriate, and provide an advance indication that something that may cause problems is imminent. I don't have a problem with that, as long as the trigger levels are appropriate.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 9,430 ✭✭✭weisses

Very windy already here in west Kerry ... Already feels stronger then during the orange and red warnings earlier this winter

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Picking up all right, going to be a wild night on the coast for a lot of counties, as was said on the weather forecast the high end of a yellow warning, clearing in the mid afternoon tomorrow, Southern coasts and up along the East coast will probbly have gales later Tues night/ Weds morning.

CGXmKfS.gif

Latest predicted rainfall accumulations

KxdQvDs.gif

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Met Eireann mentioning damaging gusts overnight and early tomorrow on coastal areas ...

F3jsF8h.png?1

I hope ME havent underestimated this wind. Quite windy in West Clare ATM and the warning hasn't even started

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

The wind is whipping up in north Clare too.
    Seems to be belting off my windows and I'm facing the East
    Very heavy here

WRF showing extremly strong gusts on the W / SW coast ?

436RwTr.png

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Surprised not going for higher gusts. WRF showing widespread 90_100kph gusts. Exposed fringes up to 120kph and a few Headlands near 130kph. A brutal night ahead. I hope pressure of naming storms doesn't affect the issuance of borderline Orange warnings.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,879 ✭✭✭pauldry

Major login issues

Anyways certainly a wet night in the West with 50mm at some stations by tomorrow night

Winds could touch 60knots

Will prob be over by morning....for a while

Wild and noisy here near Tralee with an avg of 40kph , gusting over 70 Kph and rain pelting off the house, and it's only getting going.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Disgruntled Badger

I dunno...fairly rough out there now....yellow warning in me pants right now :-o

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Windy night in Castlebar, but nothing out of the ordinary though for this time of the year so far, quite wet though with constant heavy rain for the last 6 hours or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Some of the highest gusts of the season here(windows are rattling and banging like hell, meath/cavan border)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭whippet

I'm on the coast in Louth and just opened the door to let the dog out ... By far the strongest sustained winds we have had all season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭septictank

Wheelie bins all blown over, place is a mess, Dublin 7.

Advertisement