Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post Rebel Tour 2015

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

A great day -stunning route, fantastic organisation & marshaling and we even managed to dodge the worst of the rain. The move to Glengarriff has been the making of the event.

For me, the only downside was the behaviour of several of the participants as they drove to the event. As I rode to the start, I lost count of the number of close /aggressive passes from cars festooned in bikes or others sitting right on my back wheel trying to force past into oncoming traffic. Not to mention the utter gobshyte who thought that doing well over 120 kmh on a back country road was appropriate.
    As cyclists we are all too aware of a lack of respect and courtesy from other road users - its pretty sad when we won't even extend it to our own.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭tcooley

Any link for pictures?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Did the 160km again yesterday and now have 2 x 160's and 2 x 85 Rebels under my belt. It is an incredible and beautiful route but pretty much at the limits of what I can do as it is very tough. Delighted that I never had to get off the bike and walk up any of those nasty climbs around Allihies and that last 50m of Healy is a nightmare. Road surfaces excellent all the way around (other than after Caha which has been like that for 5 years now) and how about that lovely smooth tarmac surface heading up Healy? We lucked out with the rain as we were warm and dry inside in that school at the first food stop having our ham sandwiches and tea when it came down.

If you did the 85 this year and complicating the 160 next year get in some training as it is a huge leap between the two.

Great day out and well done to Glengarriff and and all the organizers and cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

BailMeOut wrote: »
    how about that lovely smooth tarmac surface heading up Healy?

How is it that, when Kerry County Council decide to resurface their side of the Healy Pass, they lay smooth blacktop (which was heavenly yesterday). Yet a few months ago, when Cork County Council resurfaced the lower half of the Cork side, they put down tar and chips, with chips the size of marbles that rattle the teeth out of your head. I'm tempted to sponsor a field trip for CCC engineers to Lauragh to show them the blacktop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

outfox wrote: »
    How is it that, when Kerry County Council decide to resurface their side of the Healy Pass, they lay smooth blacktop (which was heavenly yesterday). Yet a few months ago, when Cork County Council resurfaced the lower half of the Cork side, they put down tar and chips, with chips the size of marbles that rattle the teeth out of your head. I'm tempted to sponsor a field trip for CCC engineers to Lauragh to show them the blacktop.

You say that but ccc put a lovely bit of smooth road down a few years ago on the r571 just up to the county bounds to show Kerry how to do it! They seem to take it in turns competing with road surfacing "my bits better than your bit" etc.

Maybe they just topped the road off with tar and chip to give it a few more years the artifice side?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

outfox wrote: »

I'm not convinced that Kerry CC are finished with that part of the road yet :( I suspect that chippings may well still be applied.

Nice spin on Saturday - I was on my old commuter bike and took it pretty handy around, very enjoyable spin. Between Adrigole and Castletownbere was pretty awful weather wise but by the time we got past the Buddhist place the sun started to appear. Big fan of the jellies at the food stops as well :D

Anyone know when the photos/videos will be available - I was tailed by a camera on a motorbike for a brief while - almost felt like a pro there...

I'm not convinced that Kerry CC are finished with that part of the road yet :( I suspect that chippings may well still be applied.

Nice spin on Saturday - I was on my old commuter bike and took it pretty handy around, very enjoyable spin. Between Adrigole and Castletownbere was pretty awful weather wise but by the time we got past the Buddhist place the sun started to appear. Big fan of the jellies at the food stops as well :D

Anyone know when the photos/videos will be available - I was tailed by a camera on a motorbike for a brief while - almost felt like a pro there...

If the Healy pass stretch is being done the same as the Lauragh bit then it won't be chipped as they've already done the line painting on the Lauragh side.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Swinefluproof

monkeynuz wrote: »
    If the Healy pass stretch is being done the same as the Lauragh bit then it won't be chipped as they've already done the line painting on the Lauragh side.

Healy Pass section is going to be chipped BUT I've been reliably informed that the Caha Pass section is getting asphalt only when the roadworks are completed, should make for a good descent next year folks.

Healy Pass section is going to be chipped BUT I've been reliably informed that the Caha Pass section is getting asphalt only when the roadworks are completed, should make for a good descent next year folks.

Oh ok, I assumed that it would be the same as the other work a few miles away done at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

tcooley wrote: »
    Any link for pictures?

Have emailed the organisers about this and will post here as soon as I get word. Looks like some of the local photographers who covered the tour in previous years weren't around on Saturday. The lads shooting the video were having a great laugh reviewing some of the footage as they passed me along the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Richie201

MSL Cork Mercedes-Benz have 150 pics up on thier facebook page

(I can't post the link sorry)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Richie201 wrote: »
    MSL Cork Mercedes-Benz have 150 pics up on thier facebook page
    https://www.facebook.com/MSLCorkMercedesBenz

there you go!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Terrific snaps there, there can't be a more scenic route in the country.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭fillup

That looks like some savage course fair play to anyone who completed either the 85 or 160k one

How does it compare, toughness wise, to the Wicklow 200?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 newbiecamper

I did both the W200 and the Rebel 160. I found the Rebel Tour harder, mainly I think because the second attempt of the Healy Pass is towards the end. Most of the hard climbing in the W200 is earlier on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭hesker

The 85k is not very tough. Certainly nothing to be feared if you've done a 100km cycle or two during the summer.

The views are spectacular. Was treated to the lightest of sunshowers and a magnificent rainbow hanging over the valley when climbing towards the Healy Pass at about 12.30-1pm. Will live long in the memory.

The Cork Sports Partnership have emailed to say there are links to photo on their website http://www.corksports.ie/index.cfm/page/cork-rebel-tour-photo_s-2015 and on their Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/CorkSportsPartnership
    They expect more to be added over the next few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Signal_ rabbit

Great event, tough but great. Have done Wicklow, the SKT and the WC 200 and I have to say this is up there with the toughest.
    The hills around Allihies are brutal, and the second time up the Healy is okay fitness wise but mentally its torture!

Well run, good food, one shower, plenty of sunshine and a decent Gilet too...... happy days!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Tonight at 9.45 on Setanta Sports there's a 30 min feature of the An Post Rebel Tour 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Signal_ rabbit

Tonight at 9.45 on Setanta Sports there's a 30 min feature of the An Post Rebel Tour 2015.

Don't have Setanta Ireland :( Is there a way to watch online does anybody know?

• Advertisement

Don't have Setanta Ireland :( Is there a way to watch online does anybody know?

The Cork Sports Partnership FB page says they will have other coverage in the next week or so for those who don't have Setanta. That was posted on the 22nd but there are no details yet.

Just been notified that MSL Cork have posted a highlights video on their FB page and at http://YouTube.be/UzWauXJWhdM A Boardsie makes a brief appearance (not me).

No sign of the full Setanta programme being available though.

Advertisement