Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post Rebel Tour 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭nialljf

cloudy, showers, up to 13 degrees is what i'm getting from forecasts for Saturday. pure in-between weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Are you allowed pick up someone else's bike tags on Thursday night if you have their printout?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

outfox wrote: »
    Congratulations.
    She might have a canary on Saturday if you spend a whole day in West Cork.

Thanks she will be there too thankfully , her dad is a local so she will be with her family.

some pretty awful weather going to hit this area on Friday although should be ok (other than the wind) by Saturday morning.

Bantry Bay - http://www.windguru.cz/int/index.php?sc=89357
    Castletownbere - http://www.windguru.cz/int/index.php?sc=331552
    Kenmare - http://www.windguru.cz/int/index.php?sc=100449

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

What we have to look forward to:

2evqhbs.jpg

Towns/village distances in red, climbs in blue.

• Advertisement

BailMeOut wrote: »
    Are you allowed pick up someone else's bike tags on Thursday night if you have their printout?

My wife just picked up my tags at the Oriel this evening for me and turns out we all do get shirts (gilets) afterall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Gilet seems lot better quality this year. A lot softer with a little zipper pocket. Made by Titian
    Nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 infofromjulia

Selling my entry for the 160KM 2015 An Post Rebel Tour as I can no longer make it. Get in touch if you would like to purchase, many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Tomfla

Has this event or anything similar got any history in cancellation. The weather is miserable and I reckon a lot of people will pull the pin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Tomfla wrote: »
    Has this event or anything similar got any history in cancellation. The weather is miserable and I reckon a lot of people will pull the pin

Fresh breeze and a few showers.

It's Beara not Sicily

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Ah tomorrow doesn't look too bad, more showery than anything and light enough winds: http://www.yr.no/place/Ireland/Munster/Glengarriff/hour_by_hour.html

Glad I decided not to travel down this year, I'll stick with my memories of the sun and warmth from last year. A few of my club have actually pulled the plug as well, but more in favour of the Dublin Bike Ride than the weather...

Tomorrow's weather will be fine. It may be windy in morning but should be a pretty decent day.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Tomfla

Fair enough then, bring the baselayers and away we go

But just out of curiosity has this event or any of the An Post series been cancelled due to bad weather

• Registered Users Posts: 2 crusing level

was hoping to do the 85K but missed the deadline. Anyone out there thinking of not doing it? 1st time out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

Cruising level buy the 165 entry above and do the 85..

Father in law ( a local ) reckons it will be grand , he is usually not to far wrong. Talking of going fishing when I get back from the spin .

Tomfla doesn't matter who pulls the pin at this stage they have paid so won't be cancelled

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭tcooley

I have a 160km ticket for sale lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭joehayes999

Forecast now for Glengarriff between 9am and 2 pm is for a shower with sunny spells. Wind from west 24kpm . Temp 9am, 9 degrees, 2pm 14. Pretty average for early autumn.

Forecast now for Glengarriff between 9am and 2 pm is for a shower with sunny spells. Wind from west 24kpm . Temp 9am, 9 degrees, 2pm 14. Pretty average for early autumn.

great weather for Beara so.
    And a bit of a tail wind for that drag back to Glengarriff from Adrigole!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 crusing level

Got myself sorted with an entry. Thanks for the help and enjoy the day. See you all there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

I'll give you all a wave as I drive past on my way to and from grocery shopping :)

Also you should have a few nice smooth bits in the Healy pass, they were doing some resurfacing this week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Swinefluproof

Anybody know if I have to print out my e-ticket or will the scanners just be able to read it off a smartphone?

Anybody know if I have to print out my e-ticket or will the scanners just be able to read it off a smartphone?

they can type in the code manually.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 rocksock10

Anybody got a spare ticket for tomorrow! I thought my friend had registered me but turns out she didn't. Please PM with details.

rocksock10 wrote: »
    Anybody got a spare ticket for tomorrow! I thought my friend had registered me but turns out she didn't. Please PM with details.

tcooley has one above.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Well that's another Rebel tour done and dusted, we did the 85 Km route, relatively short but challenging. After yesterday's deluge we arrived in Glengarriff to blue skies but with a forecast of passing showers.
    There was great buzz around the town as the cycles headed off, the Caha pass was fine, spectacular views on the climb, without doubt some of the best in the country. I wonder will the end of the descent ever be sorted, it's downright dangerous and it's a miracle nobody has been hurt there.
    Excellent food stop at Toussist before we headed off to the healy pass, another dodgy stretch of road had to be navigated before the second climb, a we ascended we could see clouds rolling in and down it came as we descended, heavy but brief.
    From adrigole on we rolled along back to Glengarriff, much needed refreshments back in the town and everyone swapping their stories. All and all a good day out, as with all An Post cycles it was superbly well organised so thanks to everyone involved in making today happen.
    Hopefully the local authorities will sort out the road surfaces, there are plenty of cycles in this area and it's only a matter of time before someone gets badly hurt.

Well that's another Rebel tour done and dusted, we did the 85 Km route, relatively short but challenging. After yesterday's deluge we arrived in Glengarriff to blue skies but with a forecast of passing showers.
    There was great buzz around the town as the cycles headed off, the Caha pass was fine, spectacular views on the climb, wwithout doubt some of the best in the country. I wonder will the end of the descent ever be sorted, it's downright dangerous and it's a miracle nobody has been hurt there.
    Excellent food stop at Toussist before we headed off to the healy pass, another dodgy stretch of road had to be navigated before the second climb, a we ascended we could see clouds rolling in and down it came as we descended, heavy but brief.
    From adrigole on we rolled along back to Glengarriff, much needed refreshments back in the town and everyone swapping their stories. All and all a good day out, as with all An Post cycles it was superbly well organised so thanks to everyone involved in making today happen.
    Hopefully the local authorities will sort out the road surfaces in this area, there are plenty of cycles in this area and it's only a matter of time before someone gets badly hurt.

Someone came off on the Caha descent (good part), bit of road rash on the bum. She was in Tousist later, so fair dues she kept going. The end of the Caha was worse than the Arrenberg. The Healy-raes really got to get their **** together down there. :)
    One shower at start of the Healy, over before you knew it.
    Great day out, well done to the organisers. I suspect some people stayed away because of the weather yesterday? The fools!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,828 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Did the 160. Great spin. Thought the road were excellent apart from the caha pass descent but there were clearly roadworks on going.

It's such an unbelievably stunningly beautiful part of the country and indeed the world. Twice up the Healy pass and even the second time I was gobsmacked all over again by the beauty of the place.

Excellent sportive, excellent food stops, epic route. As good as a day in the alps, and its on our doorstep. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Well you all had pretty decent weather for your spin around the area, we can lay it on when it counts!

Sometime in the future I might be having a go myself when I start cycling again.

Saw a few smartly colour coordinated groups of cyclists in the afternoon outside my place, very impressed. Some south Tipperary crowd and another lot in black and red.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭longfellow deeds

Just got home about an hour ago, a long day, I left at 5 this morning figuring I'd have a chance to chill and have a bit of breakfast before the start.
    Satnav wasn't playing ball and I ended up in some farmers front yard about 7.20 somewhere around Macroom so didn't have time for brekkie.
    Parking was well marshalled and sign on was no problem, pretty classy mercs were provided as lead and support cars,
    bloody tough route, Caha and Healy passes aren't too bad, they're manageable long drags but the rest of the route, particularly around Aillihies is sapping, all those little ramps and drags take it out of you.
    How lucky were we with the weather, only one spell of heavy rain after the first food stop, a few turned back at that stage,
    but when the rain cleared the sun came out and my God but the views were absolutely fantastic.
    Great day out, great marshalling and organisation, plenty of food and a nice atmosphere at the end to finish it off.
    I reckon I deserve a pint now... or 2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Epic day on the 160. Spirits did drop quite a bit in the cold rain and headwind after the Adrigole food stop but the forecast of intermittent showers was spot on. Out by Allihies and Eyeries the scenery was just magical in the sunshine and made the ups and downs a lot more manageable. The second ascent of the Healy Pass was tough but the descent, with riders well spread out, was as good as it gets.
    As fat bloke says, it's as good as any day in the Alps. If you haven't yet done the Rebel Tour, make sure to get there one of these years.

Advertisement