Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post Rebel Tour 2015

Options
  • 17-06-2015 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭

Registration has opened for the Rebel Tour for the 12th September 2015. I registered today for the 85km.

~ Routes can be found here.

~ FAQ here incl linkie to register.

~ Sign-on details can be found here.

&
    The closing date for entries is strictly 12 noon on Wednesday 9th of September.

Safe & Happy Peddling,
    kerry4sam

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 camanstar

By far the best event in the sportive year. I have done the 85 and 160 and both are tremendous. It is the one sportive not to be missed every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭cats pyjamas

Looking forward to this, a beautiful part of the world that I have never cycled before. I booked the hotel 2 months ago as part of my plan to do one sportive a month this summer - after my first ever last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Brendan Hennessy

Hi all,

If you're checking out the great Rebel Tour perhaps you'd like to make a date with your old vintage steed the following day at the OLDVELOS vintage international classic just up the road in Killarney. Sure why not ride your old bike on the Rebel Tour too? We're celebrating the 30th anniversary of the Nissan classic - the reason so many of us got cycling in the first place!

18933702170_b0eddd425e_z.jpg

A great way to make a day a weekend!

Hope you can join us in the South West,

Brendan

www.oldvelos.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

great event. I did the 85km in 2012 and 2013 but found the courage to tackle the 160km in 2014. It is not easy but am looking forward to doing again this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 shaycl

3rd year to do this. I convinced a dozen or so club members to register . After getting the numbers I booked the accomadation. I had to take a couple of holiday homes outside Glengarriff as everything is filling up fast. Also the latest event number bought was 808 so it looks like this event will fill up quickly. Fingers crossed that the weather will be favourable.

• Advertisement

less than three weeks to the Rebel - better get training!

Many doing this again this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭nialljf

in training for this on my new bike. it's my first sportive, so doing the shorter route. looking forward to the challenge though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Having survived and even enjoyed the SKT 160 last weekend, I am nearly looking forward to the Rebel Tour (though that has probably put a jinx on it). Lots of good info and comments on last year's outing over on the Rebel Tour 2014 thread. As far as I can see, there is about 2385m of climbing involved compared to 2200m on the SKT. The link on the official site indicates 3116m but I presume and sincerely hope that that is a gross exaggeration.
    The general consensus seems to be that the climbs out beyond Castletownbere are the ones to fear rather than the higher passes. The run in to Glengarrif also seems quite lumpy unlike the fast descent to Dungarvan on Sunday. Hopefully we get some decent weather along the way, maybe even that Indian Summer that's being talked about.

Heh Mercian Pro,

I'd love to have a go at the Rebel Tour - but it's all oldvelos this year. Mahon Falls was a killer on the SKT, don't think there's anything to compare in terms of changes in gradient on the Rebel Tour.

If there's not enough climbing in Cork for you, come over the hills on your Old Mercian Pro to Kerry. Not that would be a weekend!

Good luck on the 12th,

Brendan

2mpmts1.jpg

Admired this Holdsworth at some point on the SKT. Was it yours Brendan?

Afraid my old Mercian Pro only lives on in my Boards name as it met a rather violent death on Dorset Street in 2008.

• Advertisement

That was me alright - managed to get a vintage TA chainset 38-50 and a six speed 14-26 block to get me around. I did die somewhat on Mahon Falls though!

There are some Mercian's out there if you once again want to live up to your name!

Best wishes,

Brendan

Lovely bike in great condition. Getting up Mahon Falls on a 38x26 must have been savage. I was pushing (not spinning) a 34x30 and wondering about getting a 32 cassette the next time! We must be all wusses now with our compacts and big sprockets but it probably does help explain the popularity of sportives!

Unlikely to be getting a new bike anytime soon. You know the formula where S-1 is the optimum number of bikes to own when S is the number that will provoke a separation. Well I'm there.

Good luck with the OLDVELOS Killarney event. Make sure to post plenty of photos afterwards on the Images of Beauty thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

The general consensus seems to be that the climbs out beyond Castletownbere are the ones to fear rather than the higher passes. The run in to Glengarrif also seems quite lumpy unlike the fast descent to Dungarvan on Sunday. Hopefully we get some decent weather along the way, maybe even that Indian Summer that's being talked about.

It is a great day. The weather will hopefully be nice (and I can get an entry sorted).
    As for the run into Glengariff there is a loooooooonnng stretch of a drag that is not that nice - especially at the end of the day BUT at the end of it is a really nice decent for a bit before it climbs up again.

Super day out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Best part of Ireland to cycle your bike.
    Fact!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

Super day out , love love this event . Hate the pain. Lots of rolling roads that adds to the metres . the stretch from Castletownbere - allihies- eyeries is my favourite stretch of cycling in the country .

In trouble training wise as my wife had a baby on Monday . Undecided what way to maximise the limited time I have . Thinking of going hard for 1.5 hrs twice a week and hope to get long spin in on a Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Best part of Ireland to cycle your bike.
    Fact!

You do realise this is taking place in Cork yeah and not Kerry. Think you got your counties a tad mixed up there mate ;)

Registered for this, only 85km.
    Registered for the GreatDublinBikeRide also, only 60km

Been talked into cycling both same w/end.
    Cycle in Cork Saturday ; hit the road after upto Dublin to register for my DublinCycle and Cycle in Dublin on the Sunday :eek:

Orientation for my HDip is being held the same day as Registration in Ballincollig for the RebelTour ... What're the odds of it being quiet bang on when registration opens at 5 d'ya know?
    ^^^Oh I need it to be quiet

Many Thanks,
    kerry4sam

kerry4sam wrote: »
    You do realise this is taking place in Cork yeah and not Kerry.

It is in Cork and Kerry with four border crossings during the 160 I think!

kerry4sam wrote: »
    You do realise this is taking place in Cork yeah and not Kerry.

I claim you!
    :-D

registered this morning for the 160. If you have not registered you might want to now as they txt'd last night saying only 150 spots left.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭thekerrycyclist

Registered for the 160K also and looking forward to it. It's been a few years since I have done the full Beara route.

• Advertisement

only 50 places left. If you have not booked yet I'd be doing so asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭longfellow deeds

BailMeOut wrote: »
    only 50 places left. If you have not booked yet I'd be doing so asap.

49 now, or maybe even less,
    I've just signed up... :)

just noticed their site says "First 2000 participants in the 85k and 160k An Post Rebel Tour will receive an An Post Rebel Tour Gilet". Previous years everyone got a shirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭nialljf

'tis a bit annoying alright--everyone pays the same monies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

BailMeOut wrote: »
    just noticed their site says "First 2000 participants in the 85k and 160k An Post Rebel Tour will receive an An Post Rebel Tour Gilet". Previous years everyone got a shirt.

Last year I got a gilet, they made a change from previous years where jerseys were given out. Most regular sportive cyclists have numerous jerseys so a gilet was introduced. I've seen many cyclists wearing last year's gilet on my various cycles this year.
    I'm not sure what might be done in future, either offer another related cycling item or introduce a reduced entrance fee while opting out of recieving any souvenir item.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

shaka wrote: »
    In trouble training wise as my wife had a baby on Monday

Congratulations.
    She might have a canary on Saturday if you spend a whole day in West Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Anybody receive news on signing in? In previous years there was a facility to sign in in the Oriel house hotel in Ballincollig on the Thursday evening or on the morning itself in the Eccles hotel in Glengarriff.
    I've not heard a peep so far.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Anybody receive news on signing in? In previous years there was a facility to sign in in the Oriel house hotel in Ballincollig on the Thursday evening or on the morning itself in the Eccles hotel in Glengarriff.
    I've not heard a peep so far.:confused:

Same arrangements again this year. Its all on the website.

http://www.corksports.ie/index.cfm/page/signindetails

• Registered Users Posts: 5,819 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Weather is forecast a bit poxy is it. Nothing like last year anyway, was absolutely glorious.

• Advertisement

fat bloke wrote: »
    Weather is forecast a bit poxy is it. Nothing like last year anyway, was absolutely glorious.

should be no dust at least!

Advertisement