Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hay 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,373 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

20 acres for hay here this year and 25 acres for haylage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Reggie. wrote: »
    20 acres for hay here this year and 25 acres for haylage

Big rounds or small squares Reg?

Big rounds or small squares Reg?

Both. Rounds mainly but take orders for small squares aswell. 100 booked in already weather depending. A few studs around us

Both. Rounds mainly but take orders for small squares aswell. 100 booked in already weather depending. A few studs around us

Lad beside us makes hay every year, about 5000 small squares I'd say.
    He has a special sleigh that puts the bales in a set position, and then a loader attachment to pick em up. No handling...
    Serious job...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

Why do people need hay. What animals need it. Calves are as well eating the bedding straw for roughage.

• Advertisement

Why do people need hay. What animals need it. Calves are as well eating the bedding straw for roughage.

Don't some lads feed it to cows before calving?

We would always have fed the sheep hay when inside, but lately I'm half feeding em straw plus more ration...

I know almost everyone is setup for silage now, but hay is still 'handy'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Very handy for us to have 20 or so bales of it in case we have some cows in for a day or two. No point opening a bale of silage and letting half of it go to waste, a few flakes off a round bale of hay and the rest will keep.
    Far cheaper to make as well, don't forget straw is more expensive up this side of the country!

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

Would it keep cows dung drier than silage? Say when you have cows in the calving pin. Would feeding hay keep her and the udder cleaner? If a bale of haylage is opened how long would it keep before heating or going off? A bale of hay might be handier for this reason aswell?

Lad beside us makes hay every year, about 5000 small squares I'd say.
    He has a special sleigh that puts the bales in a set position, and then a loader attachment to pick em up. No handling...
    Serious job...

The flat 8.

People with horses or ponies want a few squares. The round bales do be too awkward for them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Best hay we ever had was 2 years ago in July in scorching heat and a light enough leafy crop. Turned it twice and raked it and baled on day 4. Was still fairly green when we were feeding it out but it was cracking stuff. No heating either. photo_zps7d13b1d3.jpg

Best hay we ever had was 2 years ago in July in scorching heat and a light enough leafy crop. Turned it twice and raked it and baled on day 4. Was still fairly green when we were feeding it out but it was cracking stuff. No heating either.

The greener the better

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭C0N0R

Seen hay baled last Sunday in Castleblaney, the rolled out a few round bales and baled it back up with square balers!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

In the US they use popcorn acid to dry hay apply it through the baler baling around 30% moisture then store it straight away. Some fella was doing here a few years ago around the midlands I think. If it's stored too long the popcorn could wear off and you could be pulling dung out the shed also if you store it beside dried hay the moisture from the acid hay will seep into the dried hay.

Sam Kade wrote: »
    In the US they use popcorn acid to dry hay apply it through the baler baling around 30% moisture then store it straight away. Some fella was doing here a few years ago around the midlands I think. If it's stored too long the popcorn could wear off and you could be pulling dung out the shed also if you store it beside dried hay the moisture from the acid hay will seep into the dried hay.

Local contractor here has the applicator on the baler for the additive

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Friend a mine made hay in april. We've 25 ac stopped so hopefully we'll get it

davidk1394 wrote: »

This April

Didn't some fella make hay in March? But it would be only light grass that went to seed the year before and was nearly ready for baling before it was cut. It would have sh1te feeding value and also costly having land tied up growing it all year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭davidk1394

This April

Yeah there earlier on when the weather was good

Yeah there earlier on when the weather was good

Jaysus fair play if he got it. Wasn't weather like that around here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭ABlur

What do lads think of making hay in 16 degree 'heat' forecast for this week is it hot enough or should we wait til the 20's come along?

ABlur wrote: »
    What do lads think of making hay in 16 degree 'heat' forecast for this week is it hot enough or should we wait til the 20's come along?

Its wind ya really want more than the heat. For cast is too tight for hay atm as it's to change Thursday and there will be plenty of dew at night aswell I bet

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭ABlur

Its wind ya really want more than the heat. For cast is too tight for hay atm as it's to change Thursday and there will be plenty of dew at night aswell I bet

Inclined to agree Reg, just saw Gerry the rainmakers farming forecast there on rte at 1 and it wouldnt inspire confidence!

ABlur wrote: »
    Inclined to agree Reg, just saw Gerry the rainmakers farming forecast there on rte at 1 and it wouldnt inspire confidence!

You would need about 2 weeks of good Indian summer weather to be in with a chance

• Registered Users Posts: 11,096 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Lads weather decent for most of week,just knock the grass ted it bale it and wrap it.hay is a pure lottery and tbh a pretty crap feed.good straw id rate better to feed.also have nice after grass back in 4/5 weeks.only hay I'd use in this country is the stuff coolmoore use and id say you wouldn't have a snowballs chance of getting that

• Registered Users Posts: 9,650 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

I think it could turn out to be a decent Hay season yet - on the basis that years with bad May's can often lead to a decent summer in late June/July time if you look back at the stats. At least its something I'm clinging too!!

Birdnuts wrote: »
    I think it could turn out to be a decent Hay season yet - on the basis that years with bad May's can often lead to a decent summer in late June/July time if you look back at the stats. At least its something I'm clinging too!!
    A wet and windy May fills the haggard with corn and hay, so the saying goes how true I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭Base price

My brother normally makes about 600 square bales every year. He round bales the headlands two or three rows in. Always demand for it from local farmers in the Winter/Spring. Handy for a bit of cash during the lean months :)

Base price wrote: »
    My brother normally makes about 600 square bales every year. He round bales the headlands two or three rows in. Always demand for it from local farmers in the Winter/Spring. Handy for a bit of cash during the lean months :)

Everyone complains about the square but come the winter I always hear a "few small squares would be handy"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Zr105

Everyone complains about the square but come the winter I always hear a "few small squares would be handy"

Everyone wants them, they just don't want the hassle of handling them.. Can't say is be fond of handling them either, mainly cause it takes a lot of time when time tends to be scarce enough,

A flat 8 would be great but at the guts of 2k for sleigh and grab you'd wanna be doin numbers to justify it..

balers here in the shed and I'll bale any number of them for someone once they'll shift them themselves 😜

Advertisement