Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Avoid paying for Eircom price after increase – Save more than 50%

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭-=al=-

cipro 55 wrote: »
    I just cancelled my phone and broadband with Eircom, I have more or less decided to go with Tesco mobile for the phone, Can't make up my mind about wifi, What's your opinion on Tesco broadband.

It's actually ok but there is no 4g from them yet, so it's 3.5g which is as you'd imagine is in between 3g and 4g with reasonable enough speeds on the o2 network but it might change since o2 are three now.

I couldn't ping website IP addresses on Tesco bb and I can't remember why! Something to do with their DNS settings or something, but it did work perfectly fine though.

€30 for 50GB on Tesco rolling 30 day contract isn't bad really. I'd suggest getting a tesco, meteor and three sim and trying out which one works the best out of the lot to get the best possible service... but if you're not that fussed on pings and using mobile broadband for online gaming or just want internet, then you should be ok for at least 3.5g on Tesco

You can also use mifi devices for connecting a few phones and laptops at the same time etc but you won't get much router or network options and you might need to get one unlocked if you wanted to try different sims

• Registered Users Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭corks finest

Most of you have received a letter from Eircom saying that prices will be increased from 1 April and you have 1 month to cancel your contract without penalty if you are not happy with the increase.

After receiving the same letter, I searched for alternative solutions and I found that combination of broadband only with VOIP phone line, you can save more than 50 % of Eircom price for similar product. You keep your existing number and you have Internet access.

We will discuss below different options that help to save more than 50% of upcoming Eircom prices.

Option A : Mobile broadband + VOIP – €17.98 per month
    The cheapest mobile broadband on the market is Three where you pays €7.99 per month.

For VOIP provider, there are 2 providers that offers the best product for your money:

- Blueface with Starter plan
    - Vomino with Standard plan

Combining Vodafone simply with a VOIP provider, you get a Broadband + Phone line at €17.98 per month.

To use Three mobile broadband with VOIP phone line, you need a router with Ethernet port. MiFi and Dongle does not work with broadband.

Option B : Wireless (microwave) broadband + VOIP - €39.94 per month
    If you live in rural area or urban area where you do not have good broadband signal, you should go for this option where you get broadband only from one Wireless (microwave) broadband provider and get VOIP from a different provider.

For wireless broadband, no provider cover the whole country. Each provider covers 1 to 3 counties. Here are some wireless provider with good review:

- Digiweb Metro broadband at €29.95 per month : Digiweb covers county Dublin
    - East Cork wireless broadband at €30 per month : East Cork broadband covers county Cork

For VOIP provider, there are 2 providers :

- Vomino with Standard plan at €9.99 per month
    - Blueface with Starter plan at €12.28 per month

Combining a Wireless broadband with a VOIP provider, you get a Broadband + Phone line at €39.94 per month

Option C : ADSL or Fiber broadband + VOIP - €44.94 per month
    If you live in area where you have good broadband signal, you should go for this option where you get broadband only from one provider and get VOIP from a different provider.

For broadband provider, there are 2 providers that offers the best product for your money:

- Digiweb Fiber broadband at €34.95 per month
    - Vodafone Simply broadband Vodafone at €35 per month

For VOIP provider, there are 2 providers :

- Vomino with Standard plan at €9.99 per month
    - Blueface with Starter plan at €12.28 per month

Combining Vodafone simply with a VOIP provider, you get a Broadband + Phone line at €44.94 per month

If anyone know how to save on phone bill by combining broadband only and VOIP, please let us know, everyone reading post is interested.

Hi,ref Eircom increase,contacted loyalty team,they agreed to keep my broadband fees as are current,e40@month until my contract expires in june,so go on ppl plead your case with them

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭mugs11

I have the below package:

eircom talktime chatter €27.15
    Broadband Advanced Unlimited €24.79

Total €52.63 (incl. VAT)

Only use broadband, never use the phoneline for calls (as I don't have a phone). Chances of reducing the €52 p/m charge?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Just got this letter off Vodafone :mad:
    Dear Customer,

We are writing to inform you of some changes to your Vodafone Home service, that will come into effect on 1 April.

Due to increased operational costs your monthly payment for your broadband and landline plan will increase by €5 to €45 and this will be reflected in any bills issued after 1 April 2015.

As a result of these changes, you may change or cancel your contract without penalty within 30 days from the date of this letter by dialling 1907.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

For feck sake! I only switched from Eircom to Vodafone yesterday due to the price increase!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭itsallok

FrStone wrote: »
    For feck sake! I only switched from Eircom to Vodafone yesterday due to the price increase!

See if you can cancel as it is within the cooling off period?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭seanin4711

Ordered sky, no service last two days and won't have router until next week.
    No bb for a week even though sky stated that I wouldn't loose service.
    Not good.
    Enough back to eircom with cap in hand offered 36 euro per month to see out remainder of my contract.
    June 2015

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Same. Sky activated me before router turned up. Out for 2 days. Got €30 compensation and then 2 routers turned up by An Post instead of the DPD their e-mail said.

Beer Baron wrote: »
    Same. Sky activated me before router turned up. Out for 2 days. Got €30 compensation and then 2 routers turned up by An Post instead of the DPD their e-mail said.

He said he would cancel order for original router and log a new one.
    But that won't arrive before Friday at this rate.
    How you get compo?
    Poxy planning

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

seanin4711 wrote: »
    Enough back to eircom with cap in hand offered 36 euro per month to see out remainder of my contract.
    June 2015

which package/bundle is that?

• Advertisement

comet wrote: »
    which package/bundle is that?

As above trying to sort out sky on twitter now

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

He said he would cancel order for original router and log a new one.
    But that won't arrive before Friday at this rate.
    How you get compo?
    Poxy planning

Compo was one month line rental credited to my account because they sent my router out with an incomplete address.

They sent me a new router but I managed to get Portlaoise to reroute my router(no pun) and then a day later the second arrived by an post also so I gave it back and said "refuse delivery"

Post mistress said that they've had loads of those being returned to Sky by customers lately so likely Sky are messing up router deliveries.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Umekichi

Ok so we didn't get any letter at all, do you think we could ring up anyway and try to get out of contract?
    If we were to get out of contract and since Vodafone are upping their prices, do you think UPC would be the best option?

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭mackcracknsack

Umekichi wrote: »
    Ok so we didn't get any letter at all, do you think we could ring up anyway and try to get out of contract?
    If we were to get out of contract and since Vodafone are upping their prices, do you think UPC would be the best option?

Yeah it is no problem to ring up and mention the letter. Just make sure to say that you only received the letter in the past week or two as they only give you 30 days to cancel. They won't check it up!!

I moved to Vodafone and I am locked in for 18 months on the Broadband only deal for 35 euro per month with no price increase. You could clarify with the sale if Vodafone is your choice.

If I had UPC available in my area I probably would have went or them.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Miss Nell

I only signed up with eircom last November. There was no phone line coming into the house at the time so they had to install one - they did this for free. If I manage to get out of this contract, will I have to pay for the installation of the line? Thanks!

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

mugs11 wrote: »
    I have the below package:

eircom talktime chatter €27.15
    Broadband Advanced Unlimited €24.79

Total €52.63 (incl. VAT)

Only use broadband, never use the phoneline for calls (as I don't have a phone). Chances of reducing the €52 p/m charge?

If you don't use or need a landline and are in a fibre-enabled area, you really should consider switching to Vodafone's broadband-only package which is €38 per month after their increase on 1st April.

www.vodafone.ie/home-phone-broadband/simply-broadband

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭randombar

Quackster wrote: »
    If you don't use or need a landline and are in a fibre-enabled area, you really should consider switching to Vodafone's broadband-only package which is €38 per month after their increase on 1st April.

Lads just giving my 2 cents. I wouldn't go near Vodafone with a barge pole after the customer service I've encountered (I know most are not great but . . .) Basically I asked to downgrade, they said I'd be charged 25 euro so I explained that was never said to me on sign up, they went away for two weeks to look up the initial phone call, came back and said I was correct and I wouldn't be charged. two weeks later another engineer rang up to say he was doing it and if I was sure, I asked him to double check I wasn't going to be charged. He said I wasn't, two weeks after I get a phone bill for 25 for the downgrade plus an additional 8 euro for some family and friends package.

Another friend of mine asked to upgrade to efibre and they disconnected him instead. Had to wait 2 weeks to get reconnected.

My advice stay away from Vodafone.

. . . .

Also I'm still waiting 3 weeks for a response to my email stating my case

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Ordered sky, no service last two days and won't have router until next week.
    No bb for a week even though sky stated that I wouldn't loose service.
    Not good.
    June 2015

I know how you feel...

http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057373604

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭mackcracknsack

GaryCocs wrote: »
    Lads just giving my 2 cents. I wouldn't go near Vodafone with a barge pole after the customer service I've encountered (I know most are not great but . . .) Basically I asked to downgrade, they said I'd be charged 25 euro so I explained that was never said to me on sign up, they went away for two weeks to look up the initial phone call, came back and said I was correct and I wouldn't be charged. two weeks later another engineer rang up to say he was doing it and if I was sure, I asked him to double check I wasn't going to be charged. He said I wasn't, two weeks after I get a phone bill for 25 for the downgrade plus an additional 8 euro for some family and friends package.

Another friend of mine asked to upgrade to efibre and they disconnected him instead. Had to wait 2 weeks to get reconnected.

. . . .

I do agree with GaryCos. The level of customer service I have encountered so far from Vodafone has been appalling.
    Logged a call back online and I did not hear anything from them for approx a week. In the meantime I had since called them myself and joined over the phone as I was sick of waiting for them to call and a few other smaller issues as well.
    Customer service experience to date has been very poor.

Limited to broadband provider so Vodafone are best of a bad bunch with the price being the deciding factor for a broadband only service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭T-Bird

. . . .

Well, unless you have them your account details with the email, all they will say in their reply is asking for your account details...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭randombar

T-Bird wrote: »
    Well, unless you have them your account details with the email, all they will say in their reply is asking for your account details...

Yes included all info. They are just very very very ver bad at customer service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Yes included all info. They are just very very very ver bad at customer service.

Agree, I need to contact them, but haven't done so yet because of the bad service.

Unfortunately they are still the cheapest option for broadband only service (as far as I can see anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭the perfect ten

Quackster wrote: »

Would it be possible using this option to then bridge the Vodafone modem/router into a higher spec router with a VOIP facility and use that to sign for a phone package with a VOIP provider?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Switched to Vodafone and so far so good...

Router delivered quickly... Plugged in and up and running in seconds...

Getting better results from speed test than with Eircom...

And saving money having only signed up to the broadband only package

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭ChuckProphet

boobar wrote: »

+1
    Rang Friday to switch. Got modem Monday. Switchover today.

The only problem was I was expecting an engineer today to the house but when none showed up I just plugged in the modem and it was working.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Anyone else get told by Eircom that they'd be charged an early cancellation fee, but to ring a freephone number when the bill came out and they'd waive the charges? Why put the charge on the bill in the first place if that's the case.

Rang up yesterday morning and told them I'd received the letter about price increase. They tried to get me to stay with €30 for 6 months and €45 thereafter for standalone broadband, no phone which reduces the bill by a solitary €5. I queried this and also the fact that I would be entering into a new 18 month contract which makes them the most expensive company in Ireland at the moment and was met with a muted: 'so you'll be cancelling then? '

Switched to Sky afterwards as I have TV with them and got it for €30 for 6 months, increasing to €40 thereafter on a 12 month contract. All in all with the combination deal I got for TV/phone/broadband we'll be saving €50 a month for next 6 months and €40 after that which is very good (imo anyways)

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Diego Murphy

Were you on Eircom EFibre? I've phoned Vodafone twice now and they're refusing to take my order because they say that Eircom will block the transfer. I told them that I've confirmed with Eircom that they won't block the transfer, yet Vodafone are saying that it definitely will get blocked and they're experiencing this problem with every customer. Never come across the likes of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭ChuckProphet

Were you on Eircom EFibre? I've phoned Vodafone twice now and they're refusing to take my order because they say that Eircom will block the transfer. I told them that I've confirmed with Eircom that they won't block the transfer, yet Vodafone are saying that it definitely will get blocked and they're experiencing this problem with every customer. Never come across the likes of this.

I was with eircom efibre tho my 18 month contract was finished. Are u still in contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Diego Murphy

I was with eircom efibre tho my 18 month contract was finished. Are u still in contract?

I've phoned eircom to leave my contract as per price increase and they agreed to same and confirmed by letter. Vodafone won't even start the ball rolling on my switch because I'm efibre. They said they'd do it if I was on standard broadband

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Did you have an engineer visit?

I've done the same, engineer due Monday for some reason. I've the Vodafone connected, but I'm still getting an Eircom IP address for some reason.

Advertisement