Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Avoid paying for Eircom price after increase – Save more than 50%

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,681 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Any reason why I didn't get this letter?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 38 mikelovenotwar

There's a lot of talk of changing to Vodafone on here, I was thinking of switching to Sky phone and broadband - how do people rate them? (Can't get UPC)

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Diego Murphy

Tyson Fury wrote: »

Ring them and tell them you got a letter. They won't know the difference. I didn't get a letter and rang them and they took my word for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Tyson Fury wrote: »

I found an email saying "dear ," not even a name. Also it was in spam.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭worded

Not impressed with efibre. It drops every 48 hours and I've to power on / off the router. I've had three diff routers now and line checked

Think I will go UPC

Is it more reliable / better product ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,681 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Ring them and tell them you got a letter. They won't know the difference. I didn't get a letter and rang them and they took my word for it.

I'm actually happy with the service. Have evision also. Where I live Vodafone are actually worse.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

Just got the email this morning. It's giving me 30 days to opt out without penalty.

TBH I'm happy with my efibre from Eircom. They're prices are saucy though. I do a lot of downloading, but maybe I do that because it's there. Would probably survive without it. Need to look into other options. Don't really need the landline. Wonder if I upgrade my mobile phone contract to unlimited data and tether?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

Here's the email I got.

Account number: XXXXXXXXXX

Contract Change
    Dear SOARER,

We are writing to inform you of some amendments to your eircom service, which will come into effect on 15th April 2015. These changes will be reflected in bills issued after 15th April 2015.

The changes are summarised as follows:

An increase to the monthly charge for your broadband bundle of between €2 and €5. For TV bundle customers, an increase to the monthly charge for your bundle of between €5 and €8 will apply.
    An increase to the call set up fee and call rates for certain calls made outside of your voice plan allowance. These charges will only apply if you make these calls outside of the included minutes of your voice plan.
    The Fixed SMS service, which is the ability to send text messages from your home phone and which may be included in your plan, will be withdrawn from 30th June 2015. It will not be possible to send or receive text messages via your home phone after this date. Certain security and alarm monitoring services may be impacted by this change and we would advise you to contact your alarm monitoring supplier for further information. This Fixed SMS service withdrawal does not affect the sending or receiving of text messages on mobile phones.
    Please note that not all of these changes will apply to your account. To find out more please visit our website - you will need your plan name which can be found on page 3 of your latest eircom bill in the 'Charges for this period' section.

Your custom is very important to us and we hope that you will continue to enjoy the great value services that eircom offers. However if you wish you can downgrade or withdraw from your contract without penalty for 30 days after the issue date of this email by calling 1800 303 731.

Yours sincerely,

Paul Doyle
    Customer Operations Director

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

I have unlimited standalone boradband for €40 a month. I got a letter advising me of a price increase (but the increase was only for phone calls, seeing as I don't have a landline I thought it was sent in error).

It gave me the chance to exit my contract so I rang up and was told the letter was sent in error and that my package would increase to €45. They offerred me €30 credit to stay. However it is still cheaper to move to Vodafone or Sky. I will probably go with Sky as Vodafone have an 18 month contract.

I only went with Eircom in the first place as we were having issues with the phone line and I knew if I went with Eircom they would sort them out quicker than for a non Eircom customer.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,491 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

There's a lot of talk of changing to Vodafone on here, I was thinking of switching to Sky phone and broadband - how do people rate them? (Can't get UPC)

Watch out for Vodafone, it isn't actually unlimited. 300GB cap, €10 per 100GB over that.

Sky are new to the VDSL market, having only launched last month, so hard to say.

They use the same network (local) as Eircom, so their should be no issue there, however they have had issues with contention in the past, so people are currently looking out for that. However so far it looks good.
    worded wrote: »
    Think I will go UPC

Is it more reliable / better product ?

Oh, UPC are a no brainer, vastly superior.

The recommendation over on the boradband forum is go UPC if you can get it. VDSL from Eircom/Vodafone/Sky is only for people who don't live in UPC areas.

€45 per month gets you 240Mb/s down, 24Mb/s up broadband + unlimited anytime national and mobile calls + 400 international minutes!

At least 2 and a half times faster then Eircom and staggeringly better value for money, specially when you think about all the free calls.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭odckdo

I have eFibre only and I have been ringing Eircom the last 2 weeks checking what is involved with cancelling, switching to a new provider, etc.

Found out today that my email address was spelt incorrectly and that is why I didn't get notice of the price increase. New email to be sent this afternoon so I can start the switch at long last.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭seaviewphotos

My parents have a calls only package with eircom, they don't need broadband and won't use mobiles. Sky aren't doing any packages which include mobiles and Vodafone are more expensive, just wondering is there any other options.

Dave.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

My parents have a calls only package with eircom, they don't need broadband and won't use mobiles. Sky aren't doing any packages which include mobiles and Vodafone are more expensive, just wondering is there any other options.

Dave.

See the first post.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,491 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I know you said they won't use a mobile, but that is actually the best option for them.

Get them to use a mobile as a landline.

1) Buy them a cheap mobile (or just dig up an old Nokia, etc. one you have in your drawers).

2) Plug it in where they landline is and leave it there permanently

3) Sign up for Tesco Mobile, €15 per month gets you unlimited calls, texts and 1GB of data.

Even if they only use the calls, it is still fantastic value for money. At least half the price of their current Eircom phone package.

Really doing it this way, there is no difference between a mobile like this and your typical DECT handset.

There are lots of mobile phones with big buttons and designed like landlines for the elderly which would be perfect for them:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=mobile+phone+for+elderly

In particular this one looks perfect:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TTfone-Mercury-Button-Senior-Unlocked-Black/dp/B00LMBY4M6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1423739668&sr=8-2&keywords=mobile+phone+for+elderly

Tell you what. Sky are quick switching you over. They switched my internet 3 working days after ordering but only sent me the router the day after. If you're moving away from eircom to Sky make sure they send your router immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭flutered

Dave.

with the mobile look up 48months.ie, a tenner a month, this is my prefered option, i never go near their limits, then i am a very light user

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Cancelled Eircom today...

Took the plunge went with Vodafone broadband only deal for €35 per month.

I hope it works out ok as really need the broadband

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Helpneeded86

I was told by Eircom if I moved to sky my broadband would be congested whereas with them it does not matter.

Is she bluffing?

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

Hi.
    I'm in the process of cancelling eircom.
    I looks like 4 g is my next best option given that eircom have no date for fixing my landline after 5 weeks of it being down. So can anyone help with a few queries.
    -) what is the highest best gb allowance from vodafone4 g
    -) what is the best home modem for 4 g that will allow wireless and wired home router. Basically I'm going to replace the eircom router with hopefully my 4 g router

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭ieoin

Has anyone been able to avail of the 33euro offer after canceling their current contract as you have 30 days to cancel due to the price increase. I was looking to cancel contract then sign up as a new customer, however seemingly I am unable to do so.
    Anyone else been in the same situation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭seanin4711

ieoin wrote: »
    Has anyone been able to avail of the 33euro offer after canceling their current contract as you have 30 days to cancel due to the price increase. I was looking to cancel contract then sign up as a new customer, however seemingly I am unable to do so.
    Anyone else been in the same situation?

I was offered 15€ discount from one CS agent, thought about it ,but bill would still be over 40€ a month(contract expires in june).after that it would be a 30day rolling contract or so one CS agent told me.
    thought about it and decided to cancel and found out that if I did go for the discount I would be effectively signing up for another 18month contact.
    Ahh hearrrrr! I said cancel that contract quick smart and over to sky for 30 bucks for the same thing for 6 months and 50 after.
    still quids in!

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Zack Morris

boobar wrote: »
    Cancelled Eircom today...

Took the plunge went with Vodafone broadband only deal for €35 per month.

I hope it works out ok as really need the broadband

Watch out for their 300GB fair usage policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Watch out for their 300GB fair usage policy.

Thanks Zack, I'd be nowhere near hitting 300gb, but thanks for the heads up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭-=al=-

300gb is for the hardcore users! :pac:

And depending on the Eircom service, I'm sure there is congestion... Or a high enough contention ratio. I know last year there was a 48:1 contention ratio on the ngb regular service. But if it's fibre, it will be fast enough to not notice! 24:1 on their ultimate service as of last year, I believe. (But it may have changed since)

I saw some posts in this thread about people inquiring about 4g internet services and I thought I'd throw in my 2c since I can't get any fixed line broadband service living 17km from the GPO and have a 4g broadband(midband) setup...
    Hi.
    I'm in the process of cancelling eircom.
    I looks like 4 g is my next best option given that eircom have no date for fixing my landline after 5 weeks of it being down. So can anyone help with a few queries.
    -) what is the highest best gb allowance from vodafone4 g
    -) what is the best home modem for 4 g that will allow wireless and wired home router. Basically I'm going to replace the eircom router with hopefully my 4 g router

I'd strongly suggest getting a fixed service if you can in any way shape or form over 3g/4g and use 3g/4g as a last resort well (Satellite internet would be last resort but don't even bother)

4g mobile broadband services are totally location dependent, so each network might perform differently in your area. So if you're near a mast or have perfectly good phone signal, you should be ok (Unless you're n the sticks you will be fine)

Out of all the mobile 4g services, Vodafone offer the worst data allowance. 7.5GB for €20 a month! (40 times less than their fixed bb service) Which is not ideal unless you're a super light user. 02 are pretty dismal too (Although 3 taking them over might help) and Meteor and Three offer the best 4g mobile broadband with reasonable data.

Depends how many users you want on your network and what you want to use you're network for. Three and Meteor offer sim card enabled routers so you just put the sim in the router and you have internet services just like you're eircom router would do

http://www.three.ie/explore/4G/
    http://www.three.ie/shop/broadband/huawei-b593s/

and

https://store.meteor.ie/mobile-broadband-devices/bill-pay/Huawei-B593

For me meteor is better so I opted for them and I have internet good enough like any normal fixed service. 50GB a month for €20

Speedtest - http://i.imgur.com/XFsJ5cT.png

The slightly complicated setup I have at the minute is - External antenna > Huawei b593s (4g sim router) > ethernet cable > Main router and that's it.

You can have a regular 4g wired/wifi setup by simply just getting the 4g router and an broadband sim. That would replace your Eircom router and do the same job.

Don't mean to overload you with too much info but it might clear up any questions you might have

tl;drThree and meteor offer 4g routers and 30-60gb of data for 20-35 quid a month that work just as good as normal broadband.. almost :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

soc wrote: »

BTW, you don't have to have a phone line with Eircom to avail of broadband... when we signed up we only went with e-fibre option, with NO landline, and our BB speeds were far better than our previous 'wireless' provider, and cheaper.

Note that the eFibre VDSL service runs over the landline, so you do have a landline coming into the house.

It's just not set up to provide a phone, maybe.

But you do have a telephone line into your house.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭cipro 55

-=al=- wrote: »
    300gb is for the hardcore users! :pac:

And depending on the Eircom service, I'm sure there is congestion... Or a high enough contention ratio. I know last year there was a 48:1 contention ratio on the ngb regular service. But if it's fibre, it will be fast enough to not notice! 24:1 on their ultimate service as of last year, I believe. (But it may have changed since)

I saw some posts in this thread about people inquiring about 4g internet services and I thought I'd throw in my 2c since I can't get any fixed line broadband service living 17km from the GPO and have a 4g broadband(midband)

I'd strongly suggest getting a fixed service if you can in any way shape or form over 3g/4g and use 3g/4g as a last resort well (Satellite internet would be last resort but don't even bother)

4g mobile broadband services are totally location dependent, so each network might perform differently in your area. So if you're near a mast or have perfectly good phone signal, you should be ok (Unless you're n the sticks you will be fine)

Out of all the mobile 4g services, Vodafone offer the worst data allowance. 7.5GB for €20 a month! (40 times less than their fixed bb service) Which is not ideal unless you're a super light user. 02 are pretty dismal too (Although 3 taking them over might help) and Meteor and Three offer the best 4g mobile broadband with reasonable data.

Depends how many users you want on your network and what you want to use you're network for. Three and Meteor offer sim card enabled routers so you just put the sim in the router and you have internet services just like you're eircom router would do

http://www.three.ie/explore/4G/
    http://www.three.ie/shop/broadband/huawei-b593s/

and

https://store.meteor.ie/mobile-broadband-devices/bill-pay/Huawei-B593

For me meteor is better so I opted for them and I have internet good enough like any normal fixed service. 50GB a month for €20

Speedtest - http://i.imgur.com/XFsJ5cT.png

The slightly complicated setup I have at the minute is - External antenna > Huawei b593s (4g sim router) > ethernet cable > Main router and that's it.

You can have a regular 4g wired/wifi setup by simply just getting the 4g router and an broadband sim. That would replace your Eircom router and do the same job.

Don't mean to overload you with too much info but it might clear up any questions you might have

tl;drThree and meteor offer 4g routers and 30-60gb of data for 20-35 quid a month that work just as good as normal broadband.. almost :)

I just cancelled my phone and broadband with Eircom, I have more or less decided to go with Tesco mobile for the phone, Can't make up my mind about wifi, What's your opinion on Tesco broadband.

cipro 55 wrote: »
    I just cancelled my phone and broadband with Eircom, I have more or less decided to go with Tesco mobile for the phone, Can't make up my mind about wifi, What's your opinion on Tesco broadband.

Mobile "broadband" is very poor and no substitute for a good wired connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DVD-Lots

So after 6 months of hell with Eirc0n I have just cancelled today and gone back to my previous provider, Digiweb. As I am slightly out in the sticks the fastest BB I can get over phone is 4MB, compared to the 30MB Metro from Digiweb. The only reason I moved to Eirc0n was because there is a 100GB limit with Digiweb and Eirc0n had unlimited.

Digiweb should be up and running by the time I get home this evening, they also announced that they will be increasing speeds accross some services in the near future so hopefully the cap gets increased too. Oh and the 1st 3 months with Digiweb are €29.99 then €44.99 thereafter compared to the €33 per month for 6 months with the other crowd going up to €48 after.

I was with Digiweb for over 4 years and the service was excellent, regular speeds of 25mb down and 1mb up and very few outages. Compared to the stuttering 4mb (if I was lucky) down and 240k up I was getting, and the fact they lied to me about Fibre being available in my area and then telling me it won't be availalable until Q4 this year.....run away!!!!!

Sky fibre went up and running today. Eircom was giving about 85mbps and an average today is 89 and the max I can get is 90mbps.

Granted the connection will get better or worse as the days pass as it beds in but the router is much better than eircoms. I can get a signal more than a few metres from it.

Was able to return my bridged netgear to Amazon(bridged connection to this router to boost signal) and got a refund for it. Bought the thing in November for fecks sake, latest return was meant to be mid Jan. Haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

its the bloody line rental that makes eircom so expensive

btw - is line rental the same across the board??

Advertisement