Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gentleman's Compendium Of The Visual Arts (AKA Television and Films)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Oliver Stones Untold History of the United States. Ten part documentary covering the period from WW2 to modern day. While Stone has his own unique interpretation of the facts, the facts themselves are pretty mindblowing. Highly recommended.

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2013/jul/11/oliver-stone-history-united-states

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Playboy wrote: »
    Oliver Stones Untold History of the United States. Ten part documentary covering the period from WW2 to modern day. While Stone has his own unique interpretation of the facts, the facts themselves are pretty mindblowing. Highly recommended.

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2013/jul/11/oliver-stone-history-united-states

Top quality viewing alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Was on Instagram today and saw a photo of Juventus midfielder Claudio Marchisio, couldn't help but think he looks the absolute bop off Volker Bruch or Wilhelm Winter from Generation Kill

Anybody with me on that one?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Finally got around to Game of Thrones (Season 3 finished, and all set for another marathon on Sky Atlantic!!). Absolutely phenomenal series, just great story, characterization, the whole package. I know even this is an understatement as the books will raise my love for the series even more!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Peaky blinders on Netflix is a good watch. An A-List cast with Cillian Murphy and Sam Neil. Has shooting, boxing, IRA, Brummie accents, horse racing, all with peaky caps:)

• Advertisement

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Peaky blinders on Netflix is a good watch. An A-List cast with Cillian Murphy and Sam Neil. Has shooting, boxing, IRA, Brummie accents, horse racing, all with peaky caps:)
    Couldn't get into it myself PR - found it very slow moving, however, I was just after binge watching Daredevil so that could account for it.

Good show, very few faults in it other than, for me, there wasn't enough drawing me back to the next episode

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Here's a few series that I loved, though my tastes aren't entirely mainstream

The singing detective, probably my favourite series ever.
    Uptopia, loved the first series and halfway through the second series which is visually stunning.
    Whitechapel
    The mighty boosh, loved by the whole family.
    Misfits, first couple of series were good
    Shameless, again first couple of series were gems.
    Skins, again started well, and broke some great new music acts.
    Later with Jools Holland, always good to get some new tunes.
    They think its all over, another family favourite.
    Doctor Who. Just yay!
    I Claudius

Of ones already mentioned, also a big fan of Edge of Darkness, liked Carnivale, Band of Brothers,

Don't even know where to start with films and drama, list is too long. One that may have slipped under the radar (or was pushed there) is Acción mutante because there just isn't enough wheelchair friendly Spanish slasher sci fi out there. Oh, and Persepolis, an absolute gem.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I started into Daredevil on Netflix over the last few nights and have to pay it is alot better than I was expecting. The casting for it was very good and the ongoing story coupled with the stand alone episode story is blended very well. On episode 6.

Misfits was a great show but I think the loss of Robert Sheehan was a huge blow and the later casting was poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭chewed

D'Agger wrote: »
    Couldn't get into it myself PR - found it very slow moving, however, I was just after binge watching Daredevil so that could account for it.

Good show, very few faults in it other than, for me, there wasn't enough drawing me back to the next episode

I have to agree here. Peaky Blinders started out well, but just got very dull later in series and ended up like EastEnders. It just wasn't gritty enough for me. I reckon if it was produced by HBO it could have been superb. Sometimes BBC tend to dumb down these types of shows!

I'm halfway through watching 'I am Ali' on Netflix

Surprised to see such an average imdb rating on account of how much I'm enjoying it. That said, I've always had a passing interest in Ali but I'm enjoying the flow of it thus far, the music, interviews and footage/audio from the time is insightful.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,318 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Only caught a portion of it, but the BBC Shark documentary had some damn impressive footage.

Mad Max or Tomorrowland today.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Mad Max or Tomorrowland today.

Question or statement?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Lads, if anyone's not seen Mad Max: Fury Road yet, give it a go. It's an utterly fantastic blockbuster that deserves the big screen. It puts the silly men in tights nonsense to shame for both fun and story.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Lads, if anyone's not seen Mad Max: Fury Road yet, give it a go. It's an utterly fantastic blockbuster that deserves the big screen. It puts the silly men in tights nonsense to shame for both fun and story.

IDK, why can't Hollywood come up with some new original ideas, everything's a remake, sequel, prequel or part of a franchise. This'll be a download for me, won't be wasting a cinema fee on it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

IDK, why can't Hollywood come up with some new original ideas, everything's a remake, sequel, prequel or part of a franchise. This'll be a download for me, won't be wasting a cinema fee on it.

I'm usually of the same opinion. I saw this only after reading several glowing reviews on the films forum. It's well worth the fee.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,318 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Question or statement?

Statement. Went with Tomorrolwand. Quite enjoyed it, though Damon Lindelof brings his inevitable baggage to the proceedings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

I was saying the same thing myself last week, but a couple of people told me it's best viewed in the cinema and it most certainly is. If you have to take a chance on one film this year, make it this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭JaseBelleVie

The King's Speech

I remember first seeing this just after it was released in the cinema on a transatlantic flight heading to New York. I was stunned by it, and moved to tears at the final speech.

I stuck it on again tonight. The performances from Colin Firth (playing King George VI, aka Bertie) and Geoffrey Rush (as speech therapist Lionel Logue) are just staggering. Firth rightly won an Oscar for his performance, while Rush just about lost out on an Oscar for his performance.

The film covers the struggles and travails of Prince Albert, Duke of York, to overcome a severe stammer that has plagued him since childhood. The second son of the reigning King George V, Albert was never meant to inherit the throne. His elder brother, Edward, Prince of Wales, was the heir apparent to the throne.

When their father died, Edward ascended the throne as Edward VIII. However, he abdicates less than a year into his reign to marry an American socialite. Albert is suddenly thrust into the position of becoming King. Depressed as he believes he is not a fit King due to his speech impediment, and with nobody else able to help him, he turns to the charismatic and slightly unorthodox Australian speech therapist, Lionel Logue.

The film is a wonderful tale of overcoming adversity and rising to meet a challenge. The two leads give performances of a lifetime. Colin Firth manages to make Bertie a deeply sympathetic character.

There are wonderful supporting turns from Helena Bonham-Carter, Guy Pearce (wonderfully slimy as Edward VIII), Derek Jacobi, Michael Gambon and Timothy Spall.

A triumph of film-making that makes what sounds like a boring tale (a man overcoming a speech impediment) into a sprawling, sweeping and majestic film. While the film would have been strong anyway, it is the performances from Firth and Rush that utterly make the film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭lizzyman

Anyone who likes House of Cards should check out Boss. The first season is incredibly good, the second a bit less focused but still excellent. You'll forget all about Kelsey Grammar's previous role as Frasier.

K-9 wrote: »
    An oldie but definitely worth a watch is Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, not the film but the original BBC TV series starring Alec Guinness and Ian Richardson. The original BBC House of Cards starring Richardson again was also excellent.

Great shout. The sequel to TTSS, Smiley's People is also excellent. Was massively disappointed with the movie version of Tinker Tailor...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,417 ✭✭✭✭cson

Mid way through FNL and honestly its one of the best shows I've ever seen. The depth they're able to put into the core characters and they might not feature much for a couple of episodes at a time is phenomenal.
    Just finished the episode where Coach walks in on Matt and Julie getting the ride and the way it affects him and the way he talks to Tammi about it ("before you go in there you better know what you're gonna say") could have happened in any house in the States or here.
    You can just really relate to it - its very real which I wouldn't have experienced in many other shows, Breaking Bad for instance was the last show I got this involved in. This is better imo.

cson wrote: »
    Mid way through FNL and honestly its one of the best shows I've ever seen. The depth they're able to put into the core characters and they might not feature much for a couple of episodes at a time is phenomenal.
    Just finished the episode where Coach walks in on Matt and Julie getting the ride and the way it affects him and the way he talks to Tammi about it ("before you go in there you better know what you're gonna say") could have happened in any house in the States or here.
    You can just really relate to it - its very real which I wouldn't have experienced in many other shows, Breaking Bad for instance was the last show I got this involved in. This is better imo.

Would you have to have watched the film version first before watching the TV series or is it standalone?

FNL??

• Registered Users Posts: 14,417 ✭✭✭✭cson

Would you have to have watched the film version first before watching the TV series or is it standalone?

I actually have yet to watch the film version
    Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    FNL??

Sorry - Friday Night Lights :o

Cool. I may give it a watch so. Cos I've heard nothing but good things.

I'm currently watching Californication at the moment, but I'm blazing through it. Absolutely brilliant and so darkly funny. Well worth a watch.

Cool. I may give it a watch so. Cos I've heard nothing but good things.

I'm currently watching Californication at the moment, but I'm blazing through it. Absolutely brilliant and so darkly funny. Well worth a watch.

Love that show. The first four seasons were excellent, the fifth so so. The sixth starts out great then goes rapidly downhill and the last season is brutal.

lizzyman wrote: »
    Love that show. The first four seasons were excellent, the fifth so so. The sixth starts out great then goes rapidly downhill and the last season is brutal.

Some friends of mine are total Hank Moody adherents and consider the entire series just gold!

I'm half-way through Season 3, and I'm cracking up at some bits. But it really does show just how brilliant Duchovny is. Sinfully underrated actor, IMO. He will be best remembered for Fox Mulder (and second will be Hank Moody), but he should have been in way more things.

I love his line when Charlie Runkle asks him about his latest book. He just goes into a foetal position and curls up on the couch with "Now, that's a hostile question!". I've been using that a lot more lately. :D

Agreed. Hank Moody is one of the great onscreen characters of the last few years. Season three is particularly good. Love the part where Jason Beghe jumps out the window shouting about his 'glorious mangina'

Duchovny is currently starring in a 60s detective series on NBC called 'Aquarius' but the reviews have been pretty mixed so far so I haven't bothered taking a look.

Friday Night Lights - Gold. Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose

Californication - a show I loved so much, it physically pained me to see where the last two seasons of it went. Would definitely recommend to others but it tails off in a big way.

• Advertisement

New season of True Detective anyone?

I have the first episode waiting to be watched but I'm almost dreading seeing Colin Farrell and his version of the worst American accent ever.

Advertisement