Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gentleman's Compendium Of The Visual Arts (AKA Television and Films)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

lizzyman wrote: »
    New season of True Detective anyone?

I have the first episode waiting to be watched but I'm almost dreading seeing Colin Farrell and his version of the worst American accent ever.

It's decent, watched it last night, Farrell is much better than I was expecting

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Watched the first episode of 'Dexter' on Sunday. I wasn't gripped. He is very weird. Does it get better?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Watched the first episode of 'Dexter' on Sunday. I wasn't gripped. He is very weird. Does it get better?

Yep but takes a while to get going. I was having doubts but got hooked eventually

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭lizzyman

It's more of a very black comedy than anything to be honest. If you don't like the first season I wouldn't bother, it's watchable up until about season 4, after that it just gets more and more ridiculous and boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

It gets better but then it gets a lot worse

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,158 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

A few decent seasons but there are a lot of better series out there which are more deserving of your time, ie Breaking Bad, The Sopranos, The Wire, Oz, Game of Thrones, etc...

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭JaseBelleVie

Dexter never rose above "good, but not great" for me. And yeah, the last few seasons are utterly shocking. And that ending? Gimme a f*cking break.

As mentioned, there are much better series to get into.

I'd strongly recommend some that seem to have gone under the radar a little, or some older classics. Such as:

Californication
    Banshee
    Band Of Brothers
    The Thick Of It
    The X-Files
    Murder One
    House Of Cards
    Criminal Justice
    The New Statesman
    Boardwalk Empire
    Cracker
    Deadwood

FunLover18 wrote: »
    It gets better but then it gets a lot worse

The first 3 seasons of Dexter are absolutely amazing, season 4 is OK but give up at the end of season 4 as it goes so far downhill it ruins the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

I tried watching Californication some years ago. I gave up after a few episodes, got tired of Moody's I'm so cool attitude.
    The other characters were better though.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,196 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Currently working my way through Oz with Mrs Sleepy. Mid-way through Season 4 and it's just brilliant TV. Surprisingly hasn't aged too badly either.

• Advertisement

Sleepy wrote: »
    Currently working my way through Oz with Mrs Sleepy. Mid-way through Season 4 and it's just brilliant TV. Surprisingly hasn't aged too badly either.

Great show but I just can't watch it. I find the atmosphere so claustrophobic and depressing. It's the kind of show you breathe a sigh of relief once an episode is over just to have escaped from 'Oz'.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Sleepy wrote: »
    Watched it through recently - holds up really well - some fantastic characters in it - Schillinger, Toby, Hill, O'Reilly, great show

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

I said it before, Oz is my favourite show of all time, its just fantastic.

Currently mid way through season 5 of Sons of Anarchy.

Good fun but ludicrous stuff really.

I said it before, Oz is my favourite show of all time, its just fantastic.

Currently mid way through season 5 of Sons of Anarchy.

Good fun but ludicrous stuff really.

I gave up on SOA pretty rapidly. I couldn't get into it. It was all just a bit hokey and the lead character was too much of a Captain America like character with too many morals and foibles to be a badass biker.

Also, the "Irish" actors irritated me so much.

And the storylines were just sh*te. Think I lasted up until the beginning of Season 4 before saying "f*ck it".

And from some friends who have watched it all the way through, I'm glad I did ditch it. They did not like how it evolved.

Still though, to each their own. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,158 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I gave up on SOA pretty rapidly. I couldn't get into it. It was all just a bit hokey and the lead character was too much of a Captain America like character with too many morals and foibles to be a badass biker.

That's certainly off-putting.

Apparently, Hannibal got canned. Looks like I wasn't the only one who couldn't stomach it and I don't mean the way the producers intended.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Disappointed Hannibal got cancelled, really liked it. Mads Mikkelson was/is fantastic in the role.

Loved Mads but the programme was tedious. I couldn't get past the first few episodes of the second season.

H. H. Asquith

I was going to give Hannibal a spin soon. Maybe if there can be a guarantee of a nice ending to it (that would lead us directly into the likes of Red Dragon or The Silence of the Lambs), then I might. But if it is going to be canned and no ending and just left hanging, I might give it a miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

A few decent seasons but there are a lot of better series out there which are more deserving of your time, ie Breaking Bad, The Sopranos, The Wire, Oz, Game of Thrones, etc...

BB - I've seen

Sopranos - I've seen

The Wire - I've seen

Oz - yet to watch

GoT - Facebook has ruined it on me. Clowns posting spoilers the whole time. Even the sensible friends that I have. I might get into it again but I know the ending to Season 5 already. Very annoying.

If you've not seen Oz then you have your answer. A much better use of your time IMO. Game of Thrones would likely still be a worthy candidate for your time.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement

I found Hannibal pretty tedious also tbh.

Any fans of Better Call Saul? I actually found it pretty slow going to be honest but it got a lot better towards the end of the season. The flashback episode with Mike and the two crooked cops was one of the best hours of TV I've seen in quite a while.

I've just finished the second season of Silicon Valley. Great comedy show about a start up tech firm in Silicon Valley.

Fargo is also an excellent watch.

I enjoyed BCS well enough, the episode mentioned above being the high point.

I enjoyed the last episode of it a lot too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,353 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

cson wrote: »

Sorry - Friday Night Lights :o

I looked this up last night. Not sure I could get into am American Football based drama.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,432 ✭✭✭✭cson

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I looked this up last night. Not sure I could get into am American Football based drama.

Thought the same myself but gave it a chance - the football element is heaviest in Season 1.

I'd say if you can give it a chance.

A pair of documentaries that I'd recommend:

Even if you have no interest in motorsport, 'Senna' is still well worth a watch. The scenes of him having to be carried from the car after winning at Interlagos in 1991 with a broken gearbox had me in bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Senna is top notch.

Started watching Firefly. Kind of funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Been watching Cycling documentaries lately, never a big fan, or even casual for that matter but I have a newfound appreciation for the sport.

I watched the Lance Armstrong story on Netflix, along with one on Marco Pantani & now Clean Sprint - would strongly recommend the Lance one - stop at nothing, think it was on RTE recently so good chance it'll be on player. The Pantani one isn't as good but it's interesting to see another side to a guy who, imo, wasn't portrayed well in the media that I remember seeing at the time of his downfall - plus even comparing his plight to Armstrongs paints Armstrong in an even worse light - Pantani buried himself because of the shame he felt - at least that's the vibe I got from the documentary.

Haven't finished Clean Sprint but so far it's enjoyable to see just how demanding the Tour De France is

Rewatched this one recently

Narcos, new Netflix show I've been waiting for only released 2 days ago. I'm only on episode 3 and it's got me, just like his product, amazing show
    http://imdb.com/rg/an_share/title/title/tt2707408/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,353 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

i watched episode 1 last night and have high hopes for the rest of the series.

Advertisement