Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oscar robbed!

Options
  • 30-09-2014 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72,224 ✭✭✭✭

Peter Sellers should have won Best Actor for 'Being There' at the 1980 oscars, instead of Dustin Hoffman (Kramer vs. Kramer).

Any others that Boardsies can think of?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Telecaster58

I always thought that Paul Newman deserved the Oscar for Cool Hand Luke, until I discovered that Rod Steiger had won it for In the Heat of the Night.
    That said the great robbery was Peter O'Toole losing for Lawrence of Arabia to Gregory Peck's To Kill a Mockingbird.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

How about all of the oscars Forest Gump won over Shawshank Redemption.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Stallone should have won for Rocky! However, the Oscar was awarded posthumously to Peter Finch for essentially one scene in Network.

Stallone was brilliant in the first movie - it seemed natural, almost ad-libbing than acting. I think he tried too hard in his later Rocky films and movie roles to recreate that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Leonardo Dicaprio for any movie ever.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

Almost everything Gravity related other than the visuals.

Halle Berry - token black Oscar.

Edit - to be clear these are ones I think shouldn't have won.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

Shakespeare in Love over saving private Ryan was madness IMO.

Denzel in Training Day over Russell Crowe in a beautiful mind I didn't fully agree with.

As much as I enjoyed as good as it gets I think Matt Damon should have won on Oscar for Good will hunting.

Leo DiCaprio hasn't been robbed exactly but he was desperately unlucky this year. Same with Blood Diamomd up against Last king of Scotland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Christian Bale - American Psycho

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

ziedth wrote: »
    Leo DiCaprio hasn't been robbed exactly but he was desperately unlucky this year. Same with Blood Diamomd up against Last king of Scotland.

I always thought he was nominated for the wrong film that year. The Departed was a much better film and performance. I really wasn't a fan of Blood Diamond, and never thought Leo's character was a particularly difficult challenge acting wise, whereas The Departed is a magnificent performance of a conflicted character.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

Samuel L for Pulp Fiction

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Sean Penn for Milk over Mickey Rourke in The Wrestler.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

I think you've said most of the ones I know.
    Saving Private Ryan & Mickey Rourke in particular.
    There was nothing "new" in Shakespeare in Love, it was a very traditional period drama, Saving Private Ryan was a visceral war movie with a great group of dynamic characters that worked so well off each-other.

Mickey Rourke was just brilliant in The Wrestler. Gut-wrenching.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭xalot

Forrest Gump over Pulp Fiction. Baffling.

Gwyneth Paltrow for Shakespeare in love over Cate Blanchett for Elizabeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Worst ever is Tom Berenger in Platoon as Sgt Barnes over Michael Caine for Hannah and her sisters wtf?

Alan Rickman wasnt even nominated for Hans Gruber.

Ted Levine for Silence of the lambs.

They just don't like Bad Guys

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Ralph Fiennes in Schindler's List to Tommy Lee Jones in The Fugitive. Probably one of the single most baffling Oscar decisions ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭shazzerman

Isn't it true that Jack Lemmon didn't even get nominated for Glengarry Glen Ross?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Mightn't be a popular opinion but I think Joaquin Phoenix deserved the Oscar for The Master, rather than Daniel Day Lewis for Lincoln.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Crash winning best picture I'll never understand. So any other film in its category can feel hard done-by.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Almost everything Gravity related other than the visuals.

Halle Berry - token black Oscar.

Edit - to be clear these are ones I think shouldn't have won.

Berry is a woeful actress, Catwoman basically killed her career only for a recurring role in the X-Men franchise, and she's the most boring character in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Manchegan

There's no more glaring omission than that of Adèle Exarchopoulos, neither nominated last year or this for Best Actress in Blue Is the Warmest Colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Dances with Wolves beating Goodfellas in 1991 and Silence of the Lambs beating Beauty and the Beast in 1992. Now I love Silence of the Lambs but BATB is a cinematic masterpiece and the greatest Disney film of all time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭MfMan

How have you gotten this far and not mentioned Titanic (KerChingTic) over LA Confidential? Robert Mitchum was never even nominated for one, an absolute anomaly considering his performance in Night of the Hunter.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Telecaster58

Dances with Wolves beating Goodfellas in 1991 and Silence of the Lambs beating Beauty and the Beast in 1992. Now I love Silence of the Lambs but BATB is a cinematic masterpiece and the greatest Disney film of all time.
    It was a cartoon for chrissakes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Ralph Fiennes in Schindler's List to Tommy Lee Jones in The Fugitive. Probably one of the single most baffling Oscar decisions ever.

They just don't like bad guys!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Ordinary People winning best picture over Raging Bull is a weird one.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

So? some of the best films ever made are cartoons. Beauty and the Beast is my favourite Disney (non Pixar) film as well. The Lion King a close second.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Wall-e should have won in 2009 but wasn't nominated because only 5 nominees were allowed and the Oscar went to the awful Slumdog Millionaire. The academy knew they fcuked up big time and in 2010 there were 10 nominees including Up.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

Crash winning best picture I'll never understand. So any other film in its category can feel hard done-by.

That's a good shout, I think Brokeback mountain was overwhelming favourite that year. Munich was a great film so that was hard done by too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Dances with Wolves beating Goodfellas in 1991

I actually think Dances with wolves is the better film. I think Goodfellas is a fine film and all but theres a nastiness about it(understandable given the subject matter) that leaves me feeling cold.

MfMan wrote: »
    How have you gotten this far and not mentioned Titanic (KerChingTic) over LA Confidential?

This for me is the biggest rip off in the history of the Oscars. I honestly dont understand how something as truly awful as Titanic could be judged a better film than LA confidential. I get that Titanic became the highest grossing movie of all time(at that time) but that should have nothing to do with artistic merit. I think that decision by the academy was corrupt and down to politics more than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

As much as I love PS Hoffman and Capote, Heath Ledger should have walked the 2005 best actor category. A performance almost without equal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Aidric wrote: »
    As much as I love PS Hoffman and Capote, Heath Ledger should have walked the 2005 best actor category. A performance almost without equal.

QFT.

Being passed over for Brokeback (and his death) are the reasons he got the not for TDK imo.

Advertisement