Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oscar robbed!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Telecaster58

QFT.

Being passed over for Brokeback (and his death) are the reasons he got the not for TDK imo.
    Correct. So an error has been compounded by giving him a "sentimental" Oscar, which is just as egregious as passing someone over. The award for playing the Joker was absurd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Correct. So an error has been compounded by giving him a "sentimental" Oscar, which is just as egregious as passing someone over. The award for playing the Joker was absurd.

Al Pacino getting one for Scent of a Woman is another example of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Telecaster58

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Al Pacino getting one for Scent of a Woman is another example of this.
    At least he had a body of work to admire. Heath Ledger, on the other hand, had very little of note to show.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I always felt sorry for Andy Serkis not getting a nomination for Gollum. He did a phenomenal job in the roll. I can't remember who else was nominated that he'd be against, so not sure if he should have won the Oscar. But he definitely should have gotten a nomination, in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,317 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I felt that Dan Day Lewis (Gangs of New York) should have gotten it over Adrien Brody (The Pianist)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭xalot

Skerries wrote: »
    I felt that Dan Day Lewis (Gangs of New York) should have gotten it over Adrien Brody (The Pianist)

No dont agree with this, Adrian Brody carried that whole film on his shoulders, such an impressive piece of work. Was the only time I saw a whole cinema stay in their seats to the very last credits.

Such a pity what he's done with his career since though.....

Find it mind blowing that Julianne Moore has never won an oscar.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Can't believe nobody has mentioned Driving Miss Daisy winning for best film in 1989. It beat My Left Foot, Field of Dreams, Born on the Fourth of July and Dead Poets Society.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭budhabob

Dances with Wolves beating Goodfellas in 1991 and Silence of the Lambs beating Beauty and the Beast in 1992. Now I love Silence of the Lambs but BATB is a cinematic masterpiece and the greatest Disney film of all time.
    As much as I love Goodfellas, Dances with Wolves is in a different league! Its a film that has left a lasting impression on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

xalot wrote: »

Find it mind blowing that Julianne Moore has never won an oscar.

Justice could be on the way, she's out and away the main front-runner this year already.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

+1 for Sean Penn (Milk) winning instead of Mickey Rourke (The Wrestler)! Love that film; Rourke is amazing in it!!

Heath Ledger definitely should have won for Brokeback Mountain. Heartbreaking performance. Still baffles me that Titanic is up there with Ben-Hur and Return of the King in terms of Oscar wins.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,167 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

xalot wrote: »
    No dont agree with this, Adrian Brody carried that whole film on his shoulders, such an impressive piece of work. Was the only time I saw a whole cinema stay in their seats to the very last credits.

Such a pity what he's done with his career since though.....

He's pretty good as your man's wife in Masters of Sex.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Chariots of Fire beating Raiders of the Lost Ark is another terrible decision.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 get_me_beer

Skerries wrote: »

gangs of new york is a terrible film

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 get_me_beer

anthony hopkins should have won for remains of the day instead of tom hanks for philedelphia , much stronger performance by him than in silence of the lambs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭niallon

Always thought they got Crowe and Washington arseways, Washington should've won for The Hurricane the same year Crowe was nominated for The Insider (of course Spacey beat the two with a deserved win). But then after Crowe getting the award next year for Gladiator, a film that was far bigger than his performance IMO, Washington gets thrown an Oscar for Training Day, alright film with an alright (still better than most others) performance from him. Crowe meanwhile misses out for A Beautiful Mind same year, awful film, great performance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭Yarf Yarf

Julia Roberts winning for Erin Brokovich over Ellen Burstyn for Requiem For A Dream was an outrageous call. Jim Carrey also deserved nominations at least for The Truman Show and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. How they could nominate Kate Winslet and totally shaft Jim Carrey for the same film in which he plays a character at least as important as hers and just as convincingly is baffling.

On the subject of Di Caprio, I don't really think he has ever been robbed. Any year he has been nominated, there has always been someone who deserved it more.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Michael caine over tom cruise for magnolia and over michael clarke duncan for green mile

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

sky88 wrote: »
    Michael caine over tom cruise for magnolia and over michael clarke duncan for green mile

Yes this one, that was a massive travesty. Tom cruise was amazing in magnolia. I only recently rewatched it and I think his performance is even better than I remembered. Robbed big time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

There are so many...
    AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Ordinary People winning best picture over Raging Bull is a weird one.

Agree with most that have been mentioned but Raging Bull in particular deserved to sweep up. From directing to acting, script, editing and cinematography (it won on editing and acting for De Niro).

Almost anything other than a Mirimax film when they won.

Forrest Gump winning over Pulp was a croc.

Searching for Sugar Man was very good but I'd have preferred 5 Broken Cameras.

Random pub quiz fact: only three films have won the "Big Five" grand slam of Best: picture, actress, actor, script and director. Those three were It Happened One Night, One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest and Silence of the Lambs.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

tunguska wrote: »
    I actually think Dances with wolves is the better film. I think Goodfellas is a fine film and all but theres a nastiness about it(understandable given the subject matter) that leaves me feeling cold.

This for me is the biggest rip off in the history of the Oscars. I honestly dont understand how something as truly awful as Titanic could be judged a better film than LA confidential. I get that Titanic became the highest grossing movie of all time(at that time) but that should have nothing to do with artistic merit. I think that decision by the academy was corrupt and down to politics more than anything else.

While I don't agree that Titanic was an awful movie (always found it quite enjoyable actually), LA Confidential was one of the best movies of the decade. It most certainly was robbed that year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Halle Berry - token black Oscar.
    krudler wrote: »
    Berry is a woeful actress, Catwoman basically killed her career only for a recurring role in the X-Men franchise, and she's the most boring character in them.

I think you are being a little unfair to Berry here. I thought she gave an amazing performance in Monster's Ball and thoroughly deserved her Oscar over the other actresses that year.

Yeah, she's made some awful film choices since, but if you watch some of her performances pre-Oscars, she's far from woeful.

Another big mistake from the Academy was failing to even nominate Ben Affleck as Best Director for Argo. I think they were the only awards show who didn't nominate him that year! Even the host apologised for the glaring omission during his opening monologue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

Rush wasn't nominated for anything this year which is just ridiculous. Should have at peast gotten a nod for cinematography and Daniel Brühl for best actor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭The Strawman Argument

Another big mistake from the Academy was failing to even nominate Ben Affleck as Best Director for Argo. I think they were the only awards show who didn't nominate him that year! Even the host apologised for the glaring omission during his opening monologue.
    It wasn't a particularly good directorial effort, was it? It's far too common for best picture nominees to get the best director ones too. I thought Haneke and Zeitlin managing to squeeze their way in past Affleck was a really positive sign for the Academy being able to put a bit more thought into their nominations for the individual categories.

Michael Shannon not being nominated for Take Shelter springs to mind for me (was a relatively weak year for that category too). That film done terribly everywhere though, whoever marketed it done a really poor job; the amount of critics I heard mention how it would've topped their 2011 end of year list had they seen it at the time was a bit ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,380 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

It's astonishing to think that Scorsese wasn't even nominated as Best Director for Taxi Driver!

I can appreciate why the (usually conservative) academy might have found the movie difficult or distasteful, but it's surely one of the most influential films of its generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

Zeek12 wrote: »
    It's astonishing to think that Scorsese wasn't even nominated as Best Director for Taxi Driver!

I can appreciate why the (usually conservative) academy might have found the movie difficult or distasteful, but it's surely one of the most influential films of its generation.

It is but it can take a while (sometimes years) for it to be realised how influential a film was. Not always realised at the time of release.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,275 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Two that really irked me was Joaquin Phoenix for Gladiator and Ellen Burstyn for Requiem for a Dream not winning in their respective categories

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

If you look at the category of his win for TDK, it's not particularly strong, and Heath did give a stunning performance.

Would he have got it had he been alive? Maybe not, but that says more about the academy's snobbery at the time than it does about the merit of his win.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭MfMan

mzungu wrote: »
    While I don't agree that Titanic was an awful movie (always found it quite enjoyable actually), LA Confidential was one of the best movies of the decade. It most certainly was robbed that year.

Q. What do Billy Zane and thirty thousand tons of frozen water have in common?
    A. They both sank the Titanic.

Advertisement