Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

10-08-2014, 21:53   #1
dani049

cant lose weight??

hi all
i lost approx 7 stone a few years ago through healthy eating and exercise and i kept most of it off until i went on holidays a few months ago and i didnt count calories for the 3 weeks and ended up gaining 8lbs (and i was also out of my usual gym routine)
for the past month or so i have been back to exercising every day and eating about 900-1000 calories and the weight is not shifting. im 70.2kg and 5ft 6 so i still have plenty of fat to shed, but my weight moves up and down between 69 and 71kg during the week.

now i know this seems like too little food but i also tried upping my food intake to 2000 calories for a week and my weight rocketed up...

i do insanity 6 days a week which is high interval training and some bodyweight squats
eat vegetarian, no fried food whatsoever (everything is grilled or baked) and i dont eat potatoes,pasta,etc.

can anyone help its very frustrating that im working so hard and not getting anywhere for the past week and a half ive been doing intermittent fasting where i fast for 23 hours then eat my daily calorie goal in one meal, hoping it would shock my body a bit and help the weight come off but nope...
Advertisement
10-08-2014, 21:55   #2
Atlantic Dawn

Muscle is heavier than fat, perhaps you are just fit now?
10-08-2014, 21:58   #3
dani049

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantic Dawn View Post
Muscle is heavier than fat, perhaps you are just fit now?
my body still looks the same in the mirror, i took pics on the day i started counting calories/exercising and compared them yesterday and still the same. i'd imagine if this was the case i would look leaner
10-08-2014, 22:12   #4
Alf Veedersane

Do you know what your BMR is?

How accurate is your tracking of your intake?

If you're honest in that you're only having 1000 kcals a day and not losing weight or putting it on, then a trip to the doctor is in order.

Otherwise, you're not tracking accurately.
Thanks from:
10-08-2014, 22:25   #5
dani049

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf Veedersane View Post
Do you know what your BMR is?

How accurate is your tracking of your intake?

If you're honest in that you're only having 1000 kcals a day and not losing weight or putting it on, then a trip to the doctor is in order.

Otherwise, you're not tracking accurately.
I tried one of those BMR calculator sites before it was about 1500 dunno how accurate they are though.

i track my food 100%, i have an app on my phone called myfitnesspal and every morning i plan out what im eating for the day. i fast 23 hours and eat the exact food within an hour in the evening (around 6.30pm)

have been to my doctor and they werent interested in investigating further. did blood tests that showed normal, diabetes that was negative and tested for thyroid problems which came back clear as well

most days i eat less than 1000, it would be closer to 900. today i had 935cals and did insanity for 55 mins which probably burned at least 300, so really my body is only getting 600 odd calories a day but still no weight loss
Advertisement
10-08-2014, 22:34   #6
Alf Veedersane

Quote:
Originally Posted by dani049 View Post
I tried one of those BMR calculator sites before it was about 1500 dunno how accurate they are though.

i track my food 100%, i have an app on my phone called myfitnesspal and every morning i plan out what im eating for the day. i fast 23 hours and eat the exact food within an hour in the evening (around 6.30pm)

have been to my doctor and they werent interested in investigating further. did blood tests that showed normal, diabetes that was negative and tested for thyroid problems which came back clear as well

most days i eat less than 1000, it would be closer to 900. today i had 935cals and did insanity for 55 mins which probably burned at least 300, so really my body is only getting 600 odd calories a day but still no weight loss
I'm not a doctor and I'm not trying to be smart but you do know the BMR is what you body needs to function?
Thanks from:
10-08-2014, 23:03   #7
Zillah

Quote:
This is simply not possible. Either you're miscounting somewhere, or someone is pouring cola into your mouth as you sleep.
(3) thanks from:
10-08-2014, 23:13   #8
dani049

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf Veedersane View Post
I'm not a doctor and I'm not trying to be smart but you do know the BMR is what you body needs to function?
BMR is the amount of calories you burn while resting as far as i know? without the added in exercise?
10-08-2014, 23:15   #9
dani049

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zillah View Post
This is simply not possible. Either you're miscounting somewhere, or someone is pouring cola into your mouth as you sleep.
well im afraid to say it is true. i would video it all day every day to prove it if i could. i am not miscounting, the calories are on the food, i weigh everything, track it in my phone. i plan out what to eat and eat exactly what is on the days list, nothing more or less.

it is frustrating and thats why i posted here. i exercise so hard and my body is dripping in sweat afterwards so theres definitely a good calorie burn there..but the weight isnt moving.
Advertisement
10-08-2014, 23:39   #10
Mellor

Post a typical days food please
10-08-2014, 23:57   #11
dani049

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellor View Post
Post a typical days food please
2 slices wholegrain bread - 165cal
100g banana - 90cal
20g peanut butter - 120cal
250ml soy milk - 100cal
2 quorn chicken fillet - 90cal
2 laughing cow light cheese triangles - 50cal
onion - 30 cals
lettuce & tomato - 50 cal
clif bar - 240cal

thats what I had today

edit: i weigh/measure everything so I know the calories are fairly close to accurate
10-08-2014, 23:59   #12
Stheno
Contrary voice

Quote:
2 slices wholegrain bread - 165cal
100g banana - 90cal
20g peanut butter - 120cal
250ml soy milk - 100cal
2 quorn chicken fillet - 90cal
2 laughing cow light cheese triangles - 50cal
onion - 30 cals
lettuce & tomato - 50 cal
clif bar - 240cal

thats what I had today

edit: i weigh/measure everything so I know the calories are fairly close to accurate

What height and weight are you?

I would literally drop dead asleep at about 3pm on a diet like that.

Also with all the soy/low fat stuff you seem to be living on sugar, do you find you are permanently hungry?

What is a clif bar? This seems to be almost a quarter of your calories?

And you've minimal fruit and veg in there too, do you eat those at all, apart from a bit of lettuce (which is just water), tomato and onion?

I often feel ashamed that I eat so little fruit and veg, but compared to you I get in about four servings of fruit and four of veg a day

Last edited by Stheno; 11-08-2014 at 00:11.
11-08-2014, 00:23   #13
dani049

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stheno View Post
What height and weight are you?

I would literally drop dead asleep at about 3pm on a diet like that.

Also with all the soy/low fat stuff you seem to be living on sugar, do you find you are permanently hungry?

What is a clif bar? This seems to be almost a quarter of your calories?

And you've minimal fruit and veg in there too, do you eat those at all, apart from a bit of lettuce (which is just water), tomato and onion?

I often feel ashamed that I eat so little fruit and veg, but compared to you I get in about four servings of fruit and four of veg a day
I dont like any fruit apart from bananas, i'd eat a banana maybe once or twice a week (usually with peanut butter on bread). usually i'd eat bell peppers and onions quite a lot, i like lettuce, green beans, asparagus, scallions and zuccini now and then. not a fan of most other veg.

clif bar is like a protein bar type thing, dont have them too often it just happened to be today. usually in place of that i would have 2 bread thins with a bit of grated cheese, onions, and bell peppers grilled.

don't purposely eat low fat, i just can't eat any fried food anymore it makes me sick. i fast for 23 hours then eat for an hour, i get full fairly quickly and don't feel hungry for the rest of the night. i only start to feel slightly hungry around 4pm the next day but i wait until i get home at 6.30 to eat.

oh and 5'6 and 11stone 2lb
11-08-2014, 10:52   #14
Dixie Chick

There is something very wrong here. Insanity burns a huge amount of calories, therefore as you do it 6 days a week then you are most definitely running close to a calorie deficit each day. Also, can you advise, are you doing insanity and not eating before or after then if you are fasting for 23 hours? I think something is messed up with this over rigorous routine and super strict diet. There is more to life that being a size 10, I think you need to focus on being healthy and getting your metabolism and body morning properly before you literally drop.
11-08-2014, 11:18   #15
dani049

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie Chick View Post
There is something very wrong here. Insanity burns a huge amount of calories, therefore as you do it 6 days a week then you are most definitely running close to a calorie deficit each day. Also, can you advise, are you doing insanity and not eating before or after then if you are fasting for 23 hours? I think something is messed up with this over rigorous routine and super strict diet. There is more to life that being a size 10, I think you need to focus on being healthy and getting your metabolism and body morning properly before you literally drop.
intermittent fasting isn't unhealthy, but I agree the low amount of food probably is. that said, when i eat over that amount I gain weight. eating 900-1000cals per day and doing insanity is only maintaining my weight, when I ate extra for a week my weight shot up.

I have completed Insanity 4 times so this time when I began it, I did one week of month 1 then moved on to the month 2 workouts (which are more intense) so I am burning a high amount of calories and should have good weight loss results but its not happening.. :/

I do insanity before I eat, I wouldn't be able to do it after because I eat all my calories in one sitting so im usually feeling very full for the evening

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion