Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef General Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Up at neighbours there. He has a lim cow 10days over incalf to a lime.
    Put my hand in her for him. Calf seems perfect. Will she hold much longer?

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭jj92

I got caught on the hop by the factory/agent recently. We'd agreed a flat rate €4.00/kg for Herefords under 36 months, only 2 of them in a group of over a dozen mixed cattle. One graded 0 and I got the €4.00 for him, and the other graded P and now I'm getting paid 3.35 /kg for him. When we'd agreed a flat rate the agent reckoned it was an O, he said it, but he never said what woud happen if he graded P. He says now that you just cannot get the €4 if they grade P and basically I should have known this. I didn't and am just wondering if anyone out there can give their impression of what flat rate prices should mean when dealing with factories. My instinct tells me that the price agreed is the price and that's it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

jj92 wrote: »
    I got caught on the hop by the factory/agent recently. We'd agreed a flat rate €4.00/kg for Herefords under 36 months, only 2 of them in a group of over a dozen mixed cattle. One graded 0 and I got the €4.00 for him, and the other graded P and now I'm getting paid 3.35 /kg for him. When we'd agreed a flat rate the agent reckoned it was an O, he said it, but he never said what woud happen if he graded P. He says now that you just cannot get the €4 if they grade P and basically I should have known this. I didn't and am just wondering if anyone out there can give their impression of what flat rate prices should mean when dealing with factories. My instinct tells me that the price agreed is the price and that's it.

If you sent a dozen at that price and got €4 a kg for 11 and €3.35 for one by my reckoning you got €3.95 average for the twelve.factories ya would never be up to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Up at neighbours there. He has a lim cow 10days over incalf to a lime.
    Put my hand in her for him. Calf seems perfect. Will she hold much longer?

Lim to a lim normally holds close to 3 weeks here. But I noted that 2 flightier lims will always calve a lot earlier- around 10 days - 2 weeks over their time.

I wouldn't be too worried anyway, the handling may make her come sooner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

He should be made give you the €4/kg...

• Advertisement

I said wrote: »
    If you sent a dozen at that price and got €4 a kg for 11 and €3.35 for one by my reckoning you got €3.95 average for the twelve.factories ya would never be up to them.

Sorry but only 2 of the lot were Hereford, the rest were overage Fr steers etc. with different prices agreed. It's about €220 euro less in the cheque, which is serious. If I'd known that "flat rate" meant "the price agreed but..." I may not have agreed the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,847 ✭✭✭mf240

Flat means flat. You should of gotten 4 euros for both.

But good luck getting it out of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

Sorry but only 2 of the lot were Hereford, the rest were overage Fr steers etc. with different prices agreed. It's about €220 euro less in the cheque, which is serious. If I'd known that "flat rate" meant "the price agreed but..." I may not have agreed the price.

Well then flat rate is what I would mean to be price agreed which in your case is €4 as rangler has stated he should be made pay it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

If you agreed a flat rate for the two it should be paid on the two. If one graded R would you have got extra I doubt it. The other thing the P price for dropping a grade was severe. I think they were looking for a reason to reduce the price. I be telling him to stump up however you may have a battle on your hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,369 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Don't let him darken your door again either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

I think it's gas that lads have no meas on selling factory fit cattle live through the ring. Would it not cut out a lot of crap like this? You are at the mercy of the factory honouring what was said over the phone. Unless you had a recording of the conversation, is it not a case of your word against theirs?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

The journal always seem to promote farmers that kill cattle at young ages through their beef case study articles.

I could never get my head around this. Bulls perhaps, they are good converters of meal but you will have a lot of money tied up in a meal bin.

Heifers. ..?? In this week's edition they state that it takes 3 times more energy to lay down fat compared to muscle. So how hard is going to be to get young cattle that are still growing into correct FS??

Finishing earlier will also mean more cattle turnover and so more expense and time spent in the mart.

Is it not more cost effective to let cattle grow on and put on fat naturally as they reach their full mature weight?

Opinions on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,485 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Muckit wrote: »
    The journal always seem to promote farmers that kill cattle at young ages through their beef case study articles.

I could never get my head around this. Bulls perhaps, they are good converters of meal but you will have a lot of money tied up in a meal bin.

Heifers. ..?? In this week's edition they state that it takes 3 times more energy to lay down fat compared to muscle. So how hard is going to be to get young cattle that are still growing into correct FS??

Finishing earlier will also mean more cattle turnover and so more expense and time spent in the mart.

Is it not more cost effective to let cattle grow on and put on fat naturally as they reach their full mature weight?

Opinions on this?

Absolutely spot on.. What they are promoting is further forcing of cattle to where THEY want, its not as though lots of shoppers turned up in the supermarket and said they only want cattle under X age, or of X carcass weight in their shopping..
    If animals were let on naturally and when killed they were hung correctly for 28/30 days they would make superior beef to much of what is being churned out at the moment.. However, hanging for 30 days costs more so it aint going to happen !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Opinions on this?

I have no figures at all but I reckon it would be worthwhile letting them get a bit older without having to pump them full of meal . They all dont have to have steaks that fit into a plastic package

If you agreed a flat rate for the two it should be paid on the two. If one graded R would you have got extra I doubt it. The other thing the P price for dropping a grade was severe. I think they were looking for a reason to reduce the price. I be telling him to stump up however you may have a battle on your hands.

Good point re. what would happen if the were grading higher. The agents reasoning for the cut was that the factories just don't pay the bonuses etc. for the Herefords on P grades and basically I should have known. To me flat rate was the price agreed as simple as that. It looks from here that others have the same opinion on flat rate, I'll let you know how I get on with him. He's actually grand to deal with, I don't want to have a falling out or anything but money is money.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

Good point re. what would happen if the were grading higher. The agents reasoning for the cut was that the factories just don't pay the bonuses etc. for the Herefords on P grades and basically I should have known. To me flat rate was the price agreed as simple as that. It looks from here that others have the same opinion on flat rate, I'll let you know how I get on with him. He's actually grand to deal with, I don't want to have a falling out or anything but money is money.

A farmers only friend is his pocket

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

A farmers only friend is his pocket

And the dog

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

And the dog

.......... baler twine and pallets.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

greysides wrote: »
    .......... baler twine and pallets.

Pen knife and fence tester..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Pen knife and fence tester..

The wife is always integral to any farming venture.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,140 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

The wife is always integral to any farming venture.
    now now, dont be taking the thread off topic, tut tut

Back in track so.. Anyone use beef minerals buckets?
    Last years weanings went a bit brown gave buckets and they went black again(guessing it was copper)
    Same thing this year but haven't seen much improvement yet

whelan2 wrote: »
    now now, dont be taking the thread off topic, tut tut

What are ye good for whelan...come on defend yourselfs

• Registered Users Posts: 29,140 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Reggie. wrote: »
    What are ye good for whelan...come on defend yourselfs
    sure we're great at cooking the dinner, cleaning, doing the washing and being there for our other halves every need.:rolleyes:

whelan2 wrote: »
    sure we're great at cooking the dinner, cleaning, doing the washing at being there for our other halves every need.

:D well played.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭GrandSoftDay

The trick with injecting cattle is to inject on far side of body. This way they kick away from you. GSD may be talking about suckler bred cattle ans specificly about fluke curing/prevention. The dosing hooks are not they are all clapped up to be, some cattle remember them and it can nearly be as time consuming as dosing invidually at head gate.

I dunno Pudsey, find it very hard to get cattle to stick their head out the gate at times. If I'm trying to dose a stubborn one I'll just catch her by hand. Always inject on the far side alright . When we are castrating we put a cow in front and fill the crush behind her and then let them back as we do them. They stay a lot quiter when there's another beast in front of them but everyone has a different way of working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

Opinions on this?

Great post, the millers are certainly happy with the current focus

It's ridiculous really

When we are castrating we put a cow in front and fill the crush behind her and then let them back as we do them. They stay a lot quiter when there's another beast in front of them but everyone has a different way of working.

Do that myself. Works very well.

Adam Grant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Do that myself. Works very well.

Do you restrain them at all that way ? I don't think I would be brave enough to go in there without tying up a leg

• Advertisement

moy83 wrote: »
    Do you restrain them at all that way ? I don't think I would be brave enough to go in there without tying up a leg

Straight in I go.
    Wouldn't fancy doing big suckler ones though

Advertisement