Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Beef General Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭Charliebull

blue5000 wrote: »
    Your nearly half way there:pac:,

Anyway bit of self moderation, how are cattle thriving at grass this summer, any body weigh yet? Have a bunch of yearling heifers that were very slow to lose winter coats, and to my eye weren't thriving. Did a few bloods and low in Iodine, also some stomach worms present in the FEC. Started putting iodine in their water last week. Will dose them again this coming week.

What dose are you using blue,

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

What dose are you using blue,

Cheapie ivermectin, injection.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 278 ✭✭micky mouse

simx wrote: »
    Factory I deal with sometimes won't penalize if you don't have 70 days in your herd so long as in last herd for 70 days and it was a QA herd
    yeah that's it.get away at 20/30 days something like that as long as previous owner qa.number of days also varies from factory to factory

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Cattle are doing a great thrive this summer here. I see no honest hungry stores in the mart all year.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Cheapie ivermectin, injection.

I hear a few reports locally of less than satisfactory results from using cheap ivomecs. I say 'cheap' as most forms of it used are probably not the original, that's all. But it's making me wary of recommending them. They've been used so much, for so long, I'm getting worried.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

yeah that's it.get away at 20/30 days something like that as long as previous owner qa.number of days also varies from factory to factory

Yeah another factory I have went to want them in your herd 21 days if out of another QA herd, factory I'm killing in next week won't penalize so long as I'm in QA, don't matter about past owner in QA or not or how many days I have them, strange how one factory can differ towards the next

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

greysides wrote: »
    I hear a few reports locally of less than satisfactory results from using cheap ivomecs. I say 'cheap' as most forms of it used are probably not the original, that's all. But it's making me wary of recommending them. They've been used so much, for so long, I'm getting worried.

Whats the next step for doses if immunity to them starts happening ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

moy83 wrote: »
    Whats the next step for doses if immunity to them starts happening ?

Switch family of dose for an individual.
    Panic, for an industry and then combination doses (two or more ingredients targeting the same worms) as per Australia.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

There is absolutly no difference between generic medicines and sprays and branded products the same a human medicines. Biggest issue is under dosing. Even though generics are cheap you still get lads to mean to dose. Other issue is moving to new pasture after dosing. However this makes no difference with ivermectins as there is a two week gap.

Biggest issue with immunity is pourons as if it is wet or cattle are licking themselves adequate amount of pouron may not be going into the animal system

• Advertisement

There is absolutely no difference between generic medicines and sprays and branded products the same a human medicines.

That might not always be the case. There's a lot in a medicine other than the active ingredient and these things can affect the overall result.

Anyhow, that wasn't the point of the post. Keep be aware that there may be problems coming with the over-use of the avermectin family.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Your nearly half way there:pac:,

Anyway bit of self moderation, how are cattle thriving at grass this summer, any body weigh yet? Have a bunch of yearling heifers that were very slow to lose winter coats, and to my eye weren't thriving. Did a few bloods and low in Iodine, also some stomach worms present in the FEC. Started putting iodine in their water last week. Will dose them again this coming week.

Stock have been doing well..
    Have 14month old bullocks and they seem to be flying it.. Used the bolus for Iodine/Copper/Selenium/Cobalt and I think its really showing, no retained hair and shining well. Have had one worm dose to date.

How are lads for grass ??
    Topped a bit today and spread some bag too.. Grass has been growing well here, heavier ground is growing well as its retained moisture..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

.Kovu. wrote: »
    Is there a difference in the 70 days if it's a QA farm to QA farm private movement?

If it's from qa to qa farm you only have to keep them 21 days

_Brian wrote: »
    Stock have been doing well..
    Have 14month old bullocks and they seem to be flying it.. Used the bolus for Iodine/Copper/Selenium/Cobalt and I think its really showing, no retained hair and shining well. Have had one worm dose to date.

How are lads for grass ??
    Topped a bit today and spread some bag too.. Grass has been growing well here, heavier ground is growing well as its retained moisture..

I might come under a bit of pressure for grass in a few weeks, it's growing well but lot if farm is dry

Maiden heifers are thriving well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

Whats the max killout weight in yer local factory before they cut the price per pound , 400 local to me, kepak athleague are supposed to be allowing up to 450 for steers some of my cattle this year at 30 months with fat score of 3 for qa were killing out over 400 and were being cut , this is really annoying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

dharn wrote: »
    Whats the max killout weight in yer local factory before they cut the price per pound , 400 local to me, kepak athleague are supposed to be allowing up to 450 for steers some of my cattle this year at 30 months with fat score of 3 for qa were killing out over 400 and were being cut , this is really annoying

Depends on what side of the bed they get outof,near me no issue at the moment with QA nonQA overage all cattle accepted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

Pretty disgusting you get a on the grid quote ,but you dont know what you are actually going to get till the bullock is dead

That's what they want you don't know whether your coming or going with them

I might come under a bit of pressure for grass in a few weeks, it's growing well but lot if farm is dry

Topped today, grass still flying,delighted with thrive on cattle now next dry day treat for red water bayticol is the dose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Are you down now? How do conditions compare here to home?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

HOw do lads work grass/ paddock rotation.. How often to fresh grass..

We're not heavily stocked but try and move yearlings to fresh grass every 5-7 days..

• Advertisement

Are you down now? How do conditions compare here to home?

We would probably have had a little more rain overall than ye but ground conditions would be similar on dry ground, up until last week we were struggling but couple days rain sorted that,

We're not heavily stocked but try and move yearlings to fresh grass every 5-7 days..

Here it's 3-4 days whether that's right ior wrong

Try to stick too 3 day graze 3 week rotation as much as possible

With growth this year am strip grazing and topping,grass management suffering a tad

That might not always be the case. There's a lot in a medicine other than the active ingredient and these things can affect the overall result.

Anyhow, that wasn't the point of the post. Keep be aware that there may be problems coming with the over-use of the avermectin family.

I believe this is incorrect. A generic drug has to be made of exactly the same ingredients or else it has to be retested this is the same with chemicals(sprays). This story is usually peddled by salesmen for branded products.

Yes there growing resistance to avermectin's. One of the reasons I believe is giving too low a dose and another is pour on. The reasons pours could be a big issue is that they are not inside an animal. They are applied on the back. This can lead to different problems. Washing off by rain or sweat of animal. Some of the product not being absorbed due to dirt or thick hair on an animal back. Another is where animals are held in a pen after application and these animals lick each other backs.

A Teagasc advisor told me that worm kill by pour on's can be as low as 50% this indicates not enough product absorbed in the system. It is the same with pour on flukcides and may be a reason for poor performance of closamectin which many farmers are not happy about.

However this makes no difference with ivermectins as there is a two week gap.

QUOTE]whats the two week gap "thing"

However this makes no difference with ivermectins as there is a two week gap.

QUOTE]whats the two week gap "thing"

Ivermectin not only kill virtually all worms in an animal it also provides two weeks immunity. This means that cattle will not get infected for another two week.

One of the ways to prevent immunity build up is for cattle to regraze land that is infected with worms this prevents a build up of immune parasites

Must invest in a head scoop I use pouron the whole time.will have to change strategy.

Ivermectin not only kill virtually all worms in an animal it also provides two weeks immunity. This means that cattle will not get infected for another two week.

One of the ways to prevent immunity build up is for cattle to regraze land that is infected with worms this prevents a build up of immune parasites
    so if using ivermectins its ok to graze old ground for 2 weeks ,then put onto new ground-would i be right in this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭GrandSoftDay

I said wrote: »
    Must invest in a head scoop I use pouron the whole time.will have to change strategy.

Never use pour ons for wormer here or the head gate for dosing either. Pack the crush as much as possible and use the hook drencher or inject depending on the dose we are using . Have blocks on one side of the crush so they can't stick their heads out the far side. I'd be the rest of my life dosing cattle if I had to put them all out the head gate rightly or wrongly. Have often bolused cows the same way too. A bit of liquid paraffin on the top of the gun makes it go down a lot easier.

• Advertisement

A bit of liquid paraffin on the top of the gun makes it go down a lot easier.

............ and come out a bit quicker too.:D

Adam Grant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭GrandSoftDay

............ and come out a bit quicker too.:D

Just a small drizzle ;)

The trick with injecting cattle is to inject on far side of body. This way they kick away from you. GSD may be talking about suckler bred cattle ans specificly about fluke curing/prevention. The dosing hooks are not they are all clapped up to be, some cattle remember them and it can nearly be as time consuming as dosing invidually at head gate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

The trick with injecting cattle is to inject on far side of body. This way they kick away from you. GSD may be talking about suckler bred cattle ans specificly about fluke curing/prevention. The dosing hooks are not they are all clapped up to be, some cattle remember them and it can nearly be as time consuming as dosing invidually at head gate.

Most cattle remember them pudsey but once the crush is reasonably well packed they can do little enough about it. There's a hook wormer here for over 20 years and if it broke in the morning I'd replace it immeadiately without too much reference to price. If a new one lasted half as long as the old one it'd be good value at a grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Kevin the sheep

This is a great thread great to see everyone's opinion on doseing and ways in which they do it and other aspects of beef it's handy to hear how others are doing things to see could I and others do it a better way it would be handy if some could put up videos of there facility's to see how I and others could change ours to make it easier on man and beast

jayus i have always used pour ons but would put calves in for a few hours before dosing,

how much is one of them dosing guns,

jayus i have always used pour ons but would put calves in for a few hours before dosing,

Never bought one yet, always came with special offers with doses

• Registered Users Posts: 43 stack18

Muckit wrote: »
    That's only sh*t talk lad. They are not all one mans costs. What about all the deductions on the factory kill sheet?

Lads are foolish if they think marts don't have a place in beef. They are the only place that you will get the true price for your stock. You are guaranteed your money what's more. I have no problem with mart fees. The cost is more than recouped by getting the right market price for your animal in the first place.

I'd encourage all farmers, especially small farmers with small numbers to sell all their cattle, especially factory fit cattle through their local mart. Don't get caught up with movements QA etc. It's a load of balls to try tie you up in a knot.

And don't you be worrying about how the buyer can afford to pay you that amount for your cattle when you wouldn't get the colour of it if you booked them in yourself. There seems to be a two tier system. And that's ok by me now that I know it. It's one price for the small guy and another for the big guy.

You don't get that sh*t going on in a mart.

Wouldn't agree the Mart is the place to get true price of Cattle you just have gang of hawks around the ring watching cheap beef so they will have a good days wage out of if. Know plenty of lads that didn't sell finished Cattle in the ring went to the factory and made a good bit more than the ring price. If you have the Cattle to tick all the boxes you will get paid in the factory.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

+1 if you ever want to see quality cattle go to a lairage, if you want to see sh1te go to a mart, especially in a strong dairy area.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,852 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

think it was 70 euro, for the hook and the gun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Up at neighbours there. He has a lim cow 10days over incalf to a lime.
    Put my hand in her for him. Calf seems perfect. Will she hold much longer?

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭jj92

I got caught on the hop by the factory/agent recently. We'd agreed a flat rate €4.00/kg for Herefords under 36 months, only 2 of them in a group of over a dozen mixed cattle. One graded 0 and I got the €4.00 for him, and the other graded P and now I'm getting paid 3.35 /kg for him. When we'd agreed a flat rate the agent reckoned it was an O, he said it, but he never said what woud happen if he graded P. He says now that you just cannot get the €4 if they grade P and basically I should have known this. I didn't and am just wondering if anyone out there can give their impression of what flat rate prices should mean when dealing with factories. My instinct tells me that the price agreed is the price and that's it.

jj92 wrote: »
    I got caught on the hop by the factory/agent recently. We'd agreed a flat rate €4.00/kg for Herefords under 36 months, only 2 of them in a group of over a dozen mixed cattle. One graded 0 and I got the €4.00 for him, and the other graded P and now I'm getting paid 3.35 /kg for him. When we'd agreed a flat rate the agent reckoned it was an O, he said it, but he never said what woud happen if he graded P. He says now that you just cannot get the €4 if they grade P and basically I should have known this. I didn't and am just wondering if anyone out there can give their impression of what flat rate prices should mean when dealing with factories. My instinct tells me that the price agreed is the price and that's it.

If you sent a dozen at that price and got €4 a kg for 11 and €3.35 for one by my reckoning you got €3.95 average for the twelve.factories ya would never be up to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Up at neighbours there. He has a lim cow 10days over incalf to a lime.
    Put my hand in her for him. Calf seems perfect. Will she hold much longer?

Lim to a lim normally holds close to 3 weeks here. But I noted that 2 flightier lims will always calve a lot earlier- around 10 days - 2 weeks over their time.

I wouldn't be too worried anyway, the handling may make her come sooner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

He should be made give you the €4/kg...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭jj92

I said wrote: »
    If you sent a dozen at that price and got €4 a kg for 11 and €3.35 for one by my reckoning you got €3.95 average for the twelve.factories ya would never be up to them.

Sorry but only 2 of the lot were Hereford, the rest were overage Fr steers etc. with different prices agreed. It's about €220 euro less in the cheque, which is serious. If I'd known that "flat rate" meant "the price agreed but..." I may not have agreed the price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭mf240

Flat means flat. You should of gotten 4 euros for both.

But good luck getting it out of them.

Sorry but only 2 of the lot were Hereford, the rest were overage Fr steers etc. with different prices agreed. It's about €220 euro less in the cheque, which is serious. If I'd known that "flat rate" meant "the price agreed but..." I may not have agreed the price.

Well then flat rate is what I would mean to be price agreed which in your case is €4 as rangler has stated he should be made pay it

If you agreed a flat rate for the two it should be paid on the two. If one graded R would you have got extra I doubt it. The other thing the P price for dropping a grade was severe. I think they were looking for a reason to reduce the price. I be telling him to stump up however you may have a battle on your hands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Don't let him darken your door again either

• Advertisement
Advertisement