Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Summer Weather 2014

• 08-04-2014 5:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭

Any new predictions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Warmer than the other three seasons, likely to be drier too. Definitely no snow at lower levels. That's as much as I can predict.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Well I can tell ya that 99's are to be licked at the side of the field and wellies will have to been worn to get to the jeep!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 607 ✭✭✭jack o shea

any word from the new zealand gob****e?has he ever posted on here?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭loveta

any word from the new zealand gob****e?has he ever posted on here?[/QUOTE

Don't think he is let post on boards because it is some kind of advertising for him. But he did predict 2013 very well back in late 2012 if I remember correctly so would not mind hearing what his 2014 out look is.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I will take a guess and imagine that this summer will be very typical of Irish summers, mostly cool or mild, (12-20C) plenty of rain and some dry spells, maybe one or 2 warm weeks if we are lucky missing out on some extremely hot and sunny weather closeby to our south-east.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Hooter23

He was on rte a few months ago saying something like august will be the best month with the highest temperatures then lol funny guy:pac:

Heres the video says august will be warmest month odds are that it usually is ...cool spring which i suppose is what were getting now spring is generally cool time of year anyway so anyone could guess that....

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_kDNh4iw8Ao

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Was going to post a link from the Irish examiner from Jan but don't want to start a Ken Ring bashing thread so google is your friend ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Uepped

I reckon this summer will be a 2007 style washout.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Gonzo wrote: »
    I will take a guess and imagine that this summer will be very typical of Irish summers, mostly cool or mild, (12-20C) plenty of rain and some dry spells, maybe one or 2 warm weeks if we are lucky missing out on some extremely hot and sunny weather closeby to our south-east.

12-20c? Thats a bit cool for summer even in irish standards, and the past few years the south-east rarely gets the warmest weather in a heatwave.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭strandsman

Has MT given his summer prediction yet? He was not far off the mark last summer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭oak5548

Uepped wrote: »
    I reckon this summer will be a 2007 style washout.

please dont say such horrible things :(
    I'm hoping with all my heart that it will be just like last year.

Was it 2006 or 2008 that was a brilliant summer too?

oak5548 wrote: »
    please dont say such horrible things :(
    I'm hoping with all my heart that it will be just like last year.

Was it 2006 or 2008 that was a brilliant summer too?

I think we had a brilliant 2006, except for the heavy rainstorm that flooded my local town that year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Not going to plan so far but early days yet I guess.

Not going to plan so far but early days yet I guess.

I'm pretty sure it was like this last year, then it went bang, 30c

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

This is turning out to be a very poor May especially in terms of temperature and rain at least here in the east, the next 2 days looks like being possibly the first t-shirt friendly days we've had since last year. From Sunday onwards were back into a particularly chilly week for the time of year. I am happy to have a crap May if it means June, especially July and August being relatively warm, dry and decent.

Gonzo wrote: »
    This is turning out to be a very poor May especially in terms of temperature and rain at least here in the east, the next 2 days looks like being possibly the first t-shirt friendly days we've had since last year. From Sunday onwards were back into a particularly chilly week for the time of year. I am happy to have a crap May if it means June, especially July and August being relatively warm, dry and decent.

I'm going to be a typical irish person and say I hope ye have **** weather on the June weekend because I won't be in the country:P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,089 ✭✭✭pad199207

Next week looking a washout for some. Looks to be staying mild however

This Evening was great in the west, I took a 10k walk along a cliff this evening with a t-shirt on and I was still sweating. My phone was saying 22c (Although accu weather is not famous for their accuracy). This was at 6pm. (Before 2pm it was overcast.)
    The new zealand fella was on the today show a few months ago and predicted a good weekend in late june, with another in late July (From what I remember)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

I'll go with the thought that good and bad seasons tend to come in pairs. After last years super July, I'll go with a repeat performance and a reasonably dry and warm August.

I have no scientific theory to back this though, and the long range (months ahead CFS) has low pressure anchored to our northwest at times for weeks during the summer months with an occasional ridge giving fairer weather. In other words a typical Irish summer. We shall see. May has been disappointing though.

Carnacalla wrote: »
    I'm going to be a typical irish person and say I hope ye have **** weather on the June weekend because I won't be in the country:P

I'll be hoping for same when I go to Spain in June. last year I managed to time my holiday in Spain for the 2 week hot spell in Ireland missing out on that completely so Im hoping any warm/hot weather this summer will wait till Im back from my holidays!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

Carnacalla wrote: »
    This Evening was great in the west, I took a 10k walk along a cliff this evening with a t-shirt on and I was still sweating. My phone was saying 22c (Although accu weather is not famous for their accuracy). This was at 6pm. (Before 2pm it was overcast.)
    The new zealand fella was on the today show a few months ago and predicted a good weekend in late june, with another in late July (From what I remember)

Really? I nearly always find it to be bang on, much moreso than Met Eireann.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,831 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Well it should be, it reads the model every 30 mins and changes its output based on that

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭mike2084

This was in quite a few papers today, don't buy it myself though that long range forecasting is pointless.

http://gometro.ie/2014/05/weathermen-predicting-a-scorcher-irish-summer/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Speaking of LRF's has MT done one for this summer or did i already miss it?

Tarzana wrote: »
    Really? I nearly always find it to be bang on, much moreso than Met Eireann.

Do you by any chance live near a city or large town? The temperture is not accurate at all here. It will say for eg. Monday 13c. Met eireann will say 18c. It will usually stay around met eireanns forecast.

If its raining with a large front sweeping across the country, its usually accurate to half an hour. If its showers its totally random. Wind is accurate enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

mike2084 wrote: »
    This was in quite a few papers today, don't buy it myself though that long range forecasting is pointless.

http://gometro.ie/2014/05/weathermen-predicting-a-scorcher-irish-summer/
    are these the same 'respected meteorologists' who predicted that the past winter would be the coldest in 50 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

This is the link to MTC's summer 2013 forecast which was excellent I think!
    I can't seem to find a 2014 version does anyone know if it has been done?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=84777101

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

This is the link to MTC's summer 2013 forecast which was excellent I think!
    I can't seem to find a 2014 version does anyone know if it has been done?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=84777101

If the timing of that forecast on the 25th May 2013 is any indication, he might have one up any day now.

My eyebrows were raised when I read last year that some of the input variables in his long range forecasts mathematical models were based on astronomy and the planets because it sounded reminiscent of a certain New Zealanders methodology. However, MT's 'hit rate' does seem to speak for itself unlike the other fellas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

It would be great if these winter and summer long range "forecasts" could be put in a designated thread so that people who give no credit to such "forecasts" don't have to waste their time skipping over comments in normal threads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,267 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Currently thinking it will be a somewhat cloudy and wet start to the summer season with generally an improving trend and a good chance of heat wave conditions developing at times in July and August, but also with more widespread heavy thunderstorms than last year (which still managed a few). There's a forecast contest thread, I am thinking of assembling a "boards consensus" forecast based on the entries, possibly weighted somewhat by experience making seasonal forecasts.

As you say, not anything like a fully developed science, but my strong hunch supported by some research is that two regimes will fight it out for supremacy, namely cloudy humid and showery vs hot and dry.

Advertisement