Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
23-01-2014, 07:52   #1
Anahita
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 92
Scientology Protest Jan 25

Protest Scientology in Ireland

Saturday, January 25th 11am-5pm

Dublin Org

See: further details:
www.anonireland.com


January 25th, 2014 from 11am to 5pm – ‘Church’ of Scientology Mission of Dublin Ltd, 64 Middle Abbey Street, Dublin 1

https://whyweprotest.net/community/t...reland.116240/

Show them they are NOT welcome to use Ireland to promote their evil dangerous cult!!

https://whyweprotest.net/community/t...reland.116240/
Anahita is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
23-01-2014, 10:00   #2
Kiwi in IE
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 3,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anahita View Post

Show them they are NOT welcome to use Ireland to promote their evil dangerous cult!!
There are no current vacancies for the position described above. The RCC hold exclusive rights.

Last edited by Kiwi in IE; 23-01-2014 at 10:10.
Kiwi in IE is offline  
23-01-2014, 12:55   #3
weisses
Registered User
 
weisses's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 7,596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anahita View Post
Protest Scientology in Ireland

Saturday, January 25th 11am-5pm

Dublin Org

See: further details:
www.anonireland.com


January 25th, 2014 from 11am to 5pm – ‘Church’ of Scientology Mission of Dublin Ltd, 64 Middle Abbey Street, Dublin 1

https://whyweprotest.net/community/t...reland.116240/

Show them they are NOT welcome to use Ireland to promote their evil dangerous cult!!

https://whyweprotest.net/community/t...reland.116240/
Just leave em

Don't know what I find more annoying

Scientology or the ones protesting against it
weisses is offline  
23-01-2014, 13:10   #4
Kiwi in IE
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 3,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by weisses View Post
Just leave em

Don't know what I find more annoying

Scientology or the ones protesting against it
Why do people protest against it? It's a loopy religion! It's hardly on its own there though, every religion is loopy. Scientology is an easy target it seems because it is new. Why is what it teaches any more insane than any of the older, more established religions? Think about how Christianity would look if it had sprung up suddenly in the last 50 years without the proceeding millenniums of mass indoctrination and social power it has enjoyed. It would seem highly rational and logical as a new concept I am sure! I don't see why believing in aliens is any more insane than believing wafers turn to actual flesh after a priest has put a magic spell on it.
Kiwi in IE is offline  
23-01-2014, 13:17   #5
Galvasean
Registered User
 
Galvasean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 29,891
But Scientology uses all sorts of manipulative tricks to brainwash people!

Catholicism on the other hand...
Galvasean is offline  
Advertisement
23-01-2014, 13:20   #6
Cabaal
Ultra Running Mod
 
Cabaal's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi in IE View Post
Why do people protest against it? It's a loopy religion! It's hardly on its own there though, every religion is loopy. Scientology is an easy target it seems because it is new. Why is what it teaches any more insane than any of the older, more established religions? Think about how Christianity would look if it had sprung up suddenly in the last 50 years without the proceeding millenniums of mass indoctrination and social power it has enjoyed. It would seem highly rational and logical as a new concept I am sure! I don't see why believing in aliens is any more insane than believing wafers turn to actual flesh after a priest has put a magic spell on it.
I'd rather see people to continue to protest against it, for two very valid reason:

1. To make as many people as possible aware that its run by nutcases, so the numbers stay down.
2. To ensure it doesn't get religion and charitable status in Ireland
Cabaal is offline  
23-01-2014, 13:33   #7
Kiwi in IE
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 3,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabaal View Post
I'd rather see people to continue to protest against it, for two very valid reason:

1. To make as many people as possible aware that its run by nutcases, so the numbers stay down.
2. To ensure it doesn't get religion and charitable status in Ireland
A fair point. At least there's some hope with Scientology. We are a few thousand years too late to do anything to dissuade people from allowing themselves to be brainwashed by the rest of them.
Kiwi in IE is offline  
23-01-2014, 13:38   #8
Galvasean
Registered User
 
Galvasean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 29,891
Perhaps a big dose of Scientology is what Ireland needs to become truly secular? Perhaps one day if a reasonable percentage of Ireland's people, let's say 15%, identified as being Scientologists on the census then the Church of Scientology would start trying to influence the law of the land. Scientologist politicians would start trying to get their jibber-jabber taught in public schools as fact or alternatives to mainstream science etc. People would rally against this, citing that you can't change laws / facts to suit someone's religion. Then they might start applying the same logic to our many laws which are steeped in old school Catholic dogma.
Galvasean is offline  
(2) thanks from:
23-01-2014, 14:00   #9
weisses
Registered User
 
weisses's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 7,596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi in IE View Post
Why do people protest against it? It's a loopy religion! It's hardly on its own there though, every religion is loopy. Scientology is an easy target it seems because it is new. Why is what it teaches any more insane than any of the older, more established religions? Think about how Christianity would look if it had sprung up suddenly in the last 50 years without the proceeding millenniums of mass indoctrination and social power it has enjoyed. It would seem highly rational and logical as a new concept I am sure! I don't see why believing in aliens is any more insane than believing wafers turn to actual flesh after a priest has put a magic spell on it.

Loopy doesn't describe them but if people want to join them leave em, My thought is that all the protest/opposition against religion/cult is starting to get religious itself
weisses is offline  
Advertisement
23-01-2014, 14:05   #10
Pherekydes
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 14,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by weisses View Post
Loopy doesn't describe them but if people want to join them leave em, My thought is that all the protest/opposition against religion/cult is starting to get religious itself
So protesting/objecting to religion is itself religion?
Pherekydes is offline  
23-01-2014, 14:06   #11
Kiwi in IE
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 3,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galvasean View Post
Perhaps a big dose of Scientology is what Ireland needs to become truly secular? Perhaps one day if a reasonable percentage of Ireland's people, let's say 15%, identified as being Scientologists on the census then the Church of Scientology would start trying to influence the law of the land. Scientologist politicians would start trying to get their jibber-jabber taught in public schools as fact or alternatives to mainstream science etc. People would rally against this, citing that you can't change laws / facts to suit someone's religion. Then they might start applying the same logic to our many laws which are steeped in old school Catholic dogma.
I think generally the more religions there are the better, as the more secular a state has to be to accommodate all of them. At home for example the two largest religions would be Anglican and Catholic at around 15% of the population each. Both of them combined are outnumbered by people who don't identify with any religion. Christians outnumber people with no religion overall, but because there are so many different religions and branches of religions, any potential influence is totally watered down, and secularists outnumber any one religious group. The problems with religious influence here are caused by the fact there is really only one religion that people seem to subscribe to statistically whether they practice or not.
Kiwi in IE is offline  
Thanks from:
23-01-2014, 14:08   #12
Cabaal
Ultra Running Mod
 
Cabaal's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by weisses View Post
Loopy doesn't describe them but if people want to join them leave em, My thought is that all the protest/opposition against religion/cult is starting to get religious itself
So we should leave them?

I'm not sure family's belong to people who have joined this "religion" and have stopped all communication with family and friends would very much disagree.

Neither am I sure that the people who have left this "religion" who have had their character assassinated by them would also feel the same....hmm character assassinated by a religious organization, where have i heard that one before?
Cabaal is offline  
23-01-2014, 14:13   #13
FouxDaFaFa
Registered User
 
FouxDaFaFa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 6,751
I think the protests are a good thing. They won't make a dent in persuading Scientologists to leave but it will keep the public aware that the organisation is dangerous.

It's only the institution I have an issue with, I think the surge in independent scientologists is a great thing because they have a focus on providing the same classes and crap for far cheaper/free than COS. It's kind of like open source scientology. With none of the emphasis on destroying its enemies and infiltrating governments.
FouxDaFaFa is offline  
23-01-2014, 14:24   #14
weisses
Registered User
 
weisses's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 7,596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabaal View Post
So we should leave them?

I'm not sure family's belong to people who have joined this "religion" and have stopped all communication with family and friends would very much disagree.

Neither am I sure that the people who have left this "religion" who have had their character assassinated by them would also feel the same....hmm character assassinated by a religious organization, where have i heard that one before?
I think there are plenty people (not all religious) who see a greater threat in anonymous then Scientology.

http://anoninsiders.net/how-to-join-anonymous-1527/

You will never be the same

And yes i think the fight against religion/cult is starting to look like a religion on its own
weisses is offline  
23-01-2014, 14:27   #15
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 21,760
Well at least you've found a way to feel smugly superior to both sides.
Sarky is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet