Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

08-04-2014, 13:06   #151
Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.
Advertisement
08-04-2014, 13:18   #152
mambo

I wish Ryanair wouldn't say "randomly allocated seat". They are NOT randomly allocated, rather they are allocated in a logical sequence.

random (adj.): made, done, or happening without method or conscious decision.
Thanks from:
09-04-2014, 23:38   #153
lucian_lcr

I'm trying to understand if "Ryanair would split groups on purpose", just to convince us to pay for an allocated seat on our next flight. Is there anybody here that:

- travelled (with Ryanair in the last month) in a small (2-6 persons) group, all on the same reservation
- didn't pay for allocated seats and
- got separate seats?

Is so, how long before departure did you check-in?

I'm asking this because I suspect they try to put people (travelling on the same reservation) together, if possible (if they don't check-in in the last minute).
09-04-2014, 23:44   #154
Fred Swanson

Thanks from:
10-04-2014, 09:18   #155
mambo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mambo View Post
I wish Ryanair wouldn't say "randomly allocated seat". They are NOT randomly allocated, rather they are allocated in a logical sequence.

random (adj.): made, done, or happening without method or conscious decision.
In fact a complaint could probably be made to the Aviation Regulator or National Consumer Agency that this is misleading advertising, and the wording presumably deliberately chosen by Ryanair to try to scare people into paying extra to choose their seats?

Anyone know to which it would be best to report Ryanair?

Or maybe highlight this to Aer Lingus and let them make the complaint :-)
(Ryanair recently made a successful complaint against Aer Lingus I seem to recall)
Advertisement
10-04-2014, 09:38   #156
spurious
Category Moderator

The new system doesn't like Firefox too much (it was not letting me check in for only one leg), but seems to work OK with Internet Explorer.
10-04-2014, 09:44   #157
lc180

Quote:
In fact a complaint could probably be made to the Aviation Regulator or National Consumer Agency that this is misleading advertising, and the wording presumably deliberately chosen by Ryanair to try to scare people into paying extra to choose their seats?

Anyone know to which it would be best to report Ryanair?

Or maybe highlight this to Aer Lingus and let them make the complaint :-)
(Ryanair recently made a successful complaint against Aer Lingus I seem to recall)
Ah here! Seriously? You want to report them to the consumer agency? And I thoughti was having a bad morning.....
Thanks from:
15-04-2014, 10:28   #158
Fred Swanson

15-04-2014, 11:47   #159
Gatica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Swanson View Post
There's no cure for stupidity....

Quote:
I don't think one can make a case for "I'd like it to be more random"... Most random number generators are not that random either, there's a predictable pattern, the repeat rate is just really high but is one of the main vulnerabilities in security.
Unless you were joking, I suppose....
Advertisement
15-04-2014, 12:04   #160
mambo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatica View Post
I don't think one can make a case for "I'd like it to be more random"... Most random number generators are not that random either, there's a predictable pattern, the repeat rate is just really high but is one of the main vulnerabilities in security.
Unless you were joking, I suppose....
I wouldn't like it to be more random. Just for Ryanair not to use the word "random" when it's NOT random, but sequential. Saying automatic seat assignment is "random" will presumably lead more people to pay to choose their seats out of fear that they won't be sitting with their travelling companions if they don't cough up extra €€€, and perhaps is a deliberate ploy by Ryanair, who, let's face it, use every trick in the book to try to squeeze extra revenue from each and every passenger.
15-04-2014, 12:16   #161
Gatica

Although I don't like Ryanair, I don't see any issue with that model myself.
15-04-2014, 16:40   #162
lucian_lcr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Swanson View Post
Even with average persons (that know they have an allocated seat and know which one it is), the allocated seat boarding method is very slow. Why? Because every person that tries to take his seat, blocks the aisle for at least a few seconds to even a minute. Now, if the persons waiting in queue don't have an allocated seat, they might take the seat that is right next to them, so they will NOT block the queue once again. But with the allocated seating, everybody will block the queue when they arrive to their precise seat, so for a much longer time (in total) than with random seating.

So, unless Ryanair will find a solution to fasten the boarding process, they will continue to face delays on their flights. And I suspect they will not renounce on the "the on-time airline" slogan so easy!
15-04-2014, 16:49   #163
Gatica

They'll just make their flight times longer so they'll still arrive "on time"...
(3) thanks from:
15-04-2014, 17:00   #164
spurious
Category Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucian_lcr View Post

So, unless Ryanair will find a solution to fasten the boarding process, they will continue to face delays on their flights. And I suspect they will not renounce on the "the on-time airline" slogan so easy!
Do away with the overhead baggage things and make them put the bag under the seat in front. If it's the right size it will fit. If it doesn't fit, 100 euro please.
They'd be sitting down quick enough then.
(2) thanks from:
15-04-2014, 17:06   #165
lucian_lcr

How about making you pay a fee if you don't take your seat in less than 10 seconds?
(2) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion