Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair - New reserved seating structure(s)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

meeeeh wrote: »
    I've been on a flight where a big man booked security exit seat and was ordered to move for safety reasons. Staff were apologetic but they would not let him stay on that seat.

You cannot use a seat belt extender in an exit row :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,769 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I'll always move to let a mum/dad and child sit together. Stressful enough flying with little ones without me adding to it. Most times its only an up and down flight so the inconvenience is minimal.

Keeping the 3 year old entertained shouldn't be too hard. Don't take out all the surprises at once. Look at the in flight menu and choose your bit of a snack. Sticker books, crayons and pads, phone games, playing cards etc will all help keep them occupied.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Shibby89

Many thanks for all replies and advice.
    We were one of the last people on the flight and took off shortly after. We were able to bring our cabin baggage on board no problem. Our son was quite well behaved (surprisingly). But it was helped by the fact that about a third of the passengers were under 10 so it was quite a loud trip anyway.
    I was happy we had booked allocated seating as the flight was full and there was a bit of swapping people around once people got settled. I didnt see anyone having a problem with this but i was happy to pay the extra for allocated seating for my own peace of mind.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

clogher71 wrote: »
    Hi

Have you first hand experience of this? I have two small kids and took a chance on not pre booking seats (save costs etc ) and just intended being at the airport to be nearly first in the que for check in. If most seats are allocated then people might not like to move. Then again on a flight to the sun there should be a few more families also....

I've been on flights where people wouldn't move to accommodate a family. I would rush it for the sake of a few euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭clogher71

pc7 wrote: »
    I've been on flights where people wouldn't move to accommodate a family. I would rush it for the sake of a few euro.

It got kinda solved. My OH went and amended our booking without my knowing (cue domestic :-/ ) and reserved seating €96.00, they prob right. but €96 is a lot and could be better spent , I am over it!! :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Again for the last year or two all seating is allocated. Being early in the airport will make absolutely no difference. You can either let Ryanair pick you seats when you are doing check in or you can do it yourself and pay for it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

clogher71 wrote: »
    It got kinda solved. My OH went and amended our booking without my knowing (cue domestic :-/ ) and reserved seating €96.00, they prob right. but €96 is a lot and could be better spent , I am over it!! :-)

Think ours was only €4 a seat each, each way (should have been €8 but was on offer). Glad you got sorted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭kingcharles82

Quick question does anyone know if you can still drop bags the previous evening at the bag drop for early morning flights,it saved us some time last summer heading away and with ryanair planes all departing from the same area of the airport it was well needed,security and bag search areas are time delaying especially with small children, dropping the bags the night before was a great help,can't seem to find any info on it on the ryanair site so maybe it was only a trial basis last summer

I thought it was only Aer Lingus who offered that service

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

pc7 wrote: »
    I thought it was only Aer Lingus who offered that service

No Ryanair do too. Had a flight at 7am a few weeks ago and was offered this option. Would have been ideal, if I had been checking in a bag ;)

athtrasna wrote: »
    No Ryanair do too. Had a flight at 7am a few weeks ago and was offered this option. Would have been ideal, if I had been checking in a bag ;)

We've an early flight with them coming up must see if it's an option

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭kingshankly

ted1 wrote: »
    Non, it's designated seats, you'll be grand. In future no need to pay extra for selecting your seats . They won't separate young kids from adults ( and if they do, happy days!! But really they'll get people to move )

I have a problem with this if people want to guarantee sitting beside their kids don't be a miserable git and pay for the privilege
    There is no way I would move after paying to sit beside my wife to accommodate someone who didn't bother paying
    I have two young kids of my own and there is no way I would take a chance of not getting to sit beside them

Quick question does anyone know if you can still drop bags the previous evening at the bag drop for early morning flights,it saved us some time last summer heading away and with ryanair planes all departing from the same area of the airport it was well needed,security and bag search areas are time delaying especially with small children, dropping the bags the night before was a great help,can't seem to find any info on it on the ryanair site so maybe it was only a trial basis last summer

Ryanair now have automatic bag drop its very quick never anybody at it weigh it yourself put on the sticker and away she goes

I have a problem with this if people want to guarantee sitting beside their kids don't be a miserable git and pay for the privilege
    There is no way I would move after paying to sit beside my wife to accommodate someone who didn't bother paying
    I have two young kids of my own and there is no way I would take a chance of not getting to sit beside them

Ignorance really does cost you money. Ryanair will allocate seats now even if you don't pay. Amazingly enough they don't put kids at the front of the plane and parents at the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Ryanair now have automatic bag drop its very quick never anybody at it weigh it yourself put on the sticker and away she goes

Just to note if you've a buggy you can't use those automatic bag drops and have to queue for the check in desks.

meeeeh wrote: »
    Ignorance really does cost you money. Ryanair will allocate seats now even if you don't pay. Amazingly enough they don't put kids at the front of the plane and parents at the back.

Ignorance on your part every one knows Ryanair designate seats but you arnt guaranteed to get seats together unless you pay and select your own

Ignorance on your part every one knows Ryanair designate seats but you arnt guaranteed to get seats together unless you pay and select your own

Yes because they will put kids separately so there can be delays when the plane needs to take off because of rearranging passengers. The most efficient aircarrier in Europe will intentionally make work for themselves. So how many times were you and your wife kicked of your seats to accommodate a family with kids?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

If I have paid €15 extra for a premium seat, I won't be moving. I have had people attempt to dislodge me in the past for various reasons.

Same here!! I always refuse. I buy a premium seat plus priority boarding so I can sit where I want and get my luggage on board. Not going to move.

Though I've never been asked this whenever I was sitting in the premium areas, like the emergency row or the front rows. They probably know not to bother us there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

Costs are doubled if you have to use their call centre.

They are but you can ask the call centre to undo your check-in and they will do it for free. Then just go online and book the seats for the regular price. Done this a couple of times for different reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

@kingcharles82

You can. We did it in April for a 7.20am flight. You'll get an email after you've done your on-line check-in. Can only be done after 8pm. You have to have all boarding passes and passports of those bags being checked in. And you have to hang around for 10/15 minutes after incase there's any problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

I was on a Ryanair flight to Poland about 3 months ago and a family got on last - two kids under 12 (im guessing 5 and maybe 7 years old). They held up the entire flight as they had not booked their seats together and the crew wouldnt allow the kids to sit alone and people didnt want to move. The flight was completely full.

It was so ridiculous - parents like this need to organise themselves better. I felt bad for the crew on this occasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭SweetSand

I don't know, but I think there could be different circumstances to every case. We have 2 small kids, 3 and 5 yo, and always paid extra for the seats to be assigned together on Ryanair flights. Lately I started doubting our choice and in future I don't think we ll be paying the extra fee, it does add up for 4 people. Yes, we ll try to check in as soon as possible and etc. I dont expect people who paid premium for their seats to move but what's the longest Ryanair flight? 5 hours probably? So why is it such a big deal to move? Especially if you didn't pay for the specific seat and I am obviously not talking about breaking families with kids or elderly people. If I was traveling on my own - I have absolutely no problem moving my seat. By no means I expect any preferential treatment just because we have kids, and we ll gladly sit 2+2 or 1+2+1.
    We are traveling with Aerlingus from San Francisco to Dublin later this month and at the time of booking there was no 4 seats left together or even 2 and 2, there was few singles scattered around the plane and thats 11 hours flight, what would be your suggestion?
    "It was so ridiculous - parents like this need to organise themselves better. I felt bad for the crew on this occasion."(Parchmet)
    Well, in our particular case now, we couldn't organise ourselves better and you shouldn't be feeling bad for the crew, did you offer to move your seat? How fast everyone forgot racing to Ryanair flight with no assigned sitting?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Francesgreen

My flight was cancelled and I rebooked a flight in a couple of days. When I checked in online and printed by boarding pass for the new flight there was no allocated seat number. It says allocated at airport under the heading seat. Why don't I have a seat number like the my friends that booked to go on the same flight as me?

• Registered Users Posts: 80,988 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Is it more than 7 days to the flight? Did your friends pay for allocated seating?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Francesgreen

Is it more than 7 days to the flight? Did your friends pay for allocated seating?
    No our flight is 30th of June, we were supposed to fly out on the 28th but it was cancelled less than 24 hrs before. No none of my friends payed for seats

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Mr Slaney

I'm flying to Dublin using Ryanair for the first time next month. Their website is prompting me to pre-book my seats, at a cost of course. I just wondered if anyone has experience of Ryanair and could advise me whether I should pay extra for my seat or take pot luck at the airport?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Travelling alone or with family? You have to check in online anyway, where you can be allocated seats or choose for free. If travelling alone I'd just wait until check in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

If you're travelling a few hours, paying the 5 euro for the emergency seat is worth it for the leg room

Advertisement