Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dominicon-2013, Sat Nov 16, 2013. UMvC3, SSF4AE, TTT2 & SSBM

Options
  • 16-10-2013 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

NUIM Games Society's annual convention Dominicon is back.

Date:
    16th of November (Saturday)

Venue:
    Dominicon will take place in Maynooth Student Union bar, North Campus, NUI Maynooth, Maynooth, Co. Kildare.

Google Maps link to the building location:
    https://maps.google.ie/?ll=53.383124,-6.603019&spn=0.001849,0.005284&t=m&z=18&iwloc=lyrftr:m,13721452599295617706,53.383092,-6.60368
    The 66 and 67 Dublin bus routes, as well as the Dart will take you to close enough to Maynooth Main street. It's a 10 minute walk from there to NUIM North Campus.

Games:
    We will be running 4 fighting game tournaments on the Saturday: SSF4AE, UMVC3, TTT2 [All on Xbox] & SSBM [Wii]

Schedule:
    UMVC3 from 11:00-1:00
    SSF4AE from 1:30-3:30
    TTT2 from 4:00-6:00
    SSBM from 5:00-7:00

Price:
    We are offering a console only entry fee of €9 as well as a €2 cost per tournament. For anyone that will be attending and is only interested in consoles please message me with your name so we can have you on the list.
    Depending on demand from this group I may ask for people to bring in an extra console or monitor for the day. Free entry into the con will be given to people who do.

Rules and Format:
    All Tournaments will be double elimination with each match to be best out of 3 games, except for the finals which is best of 5. TTT2 will have best of 5 rounds, SSF4AE will have best of 3 and SSBM games will consist of 4 stock games with an 8 minute time limit.

1. All characters are useable, but if you require DLC characters, please make that known prior to your match.

2. Custom controllers and button configuration is allowed.

3. Turbo is banned. Anyone who is caught using this feature will be disqualified.

4. Players can change characters in each round of the double elimination phase. However once a match has started they may only change characters in a match after loosing a set. The winner of the first set must stick to his character he started the set with and may only change if he looses the second set, in which case the winner of the second set must then stick to the character he used in the second set. In UMvC3, orders of characters may be changed, but assist types may not.

5. Double Blind select available in the event of people being concerned about counter picking. An admin will assist with this if required.

6. Rock, paper, scissors is used in the event of people being unable to agree on which side they want to sit on.

7. In the event of a player pausing a game during a round or his stick/pad fails during a round, he forfeits the round unless both players agree to carry on. If there is a dispute an admin will resolve the dispute. This includes pausing during cinematic supers/hypers, except in the case of a character death being guaranteed by the super/hyper.

8. In the event of a game ending in a draw, the game will scrapped and not counted towards the results. It will then be replayed. (Though it will be pretty damn hype.)

9. Players who are overly disruptive during a competition or who are distracting other players can be removed from the tournament at the discretion of the tournament admins.

Additional Melee Rules:
    • No Items
    • Stages allowed: Yoshi's Story, Fountain of Dreams, Final Destination, Battlefield, Dream Land and Pokemon Stadium (for counter-picking). Random will be set to only chose between these stages.
    • Each game must be played on a different stage.
    • Wobbling is banned
    • Pause will be disabled
    An arcade machine will also be in the bar (20c coins only) with SSF2, X-menvsSF and SFA3.

All proceeds will go to Child's Play.

If you have any questions post them here and I'll do my best to answer them.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I'm gonna be there recording, will probably bring my lagless monitor for the tournaments as Maynooth is just up the road from Celbridge!

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭ladnopoka

any non-cash prizes?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

I'll head to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭spriral

ladnopoka wrote: »
    any non-cash prizes?

I haven't decided on prizes for the tournaments yet but I am open to any suggestions. We do have the bar open for the day so it would probably be a free drink or 2 for first and second places.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Bento Sento

What are the rules you are doing for TTT2? Is it best 3/5 rounds per game and best 2/3 games per match because that is the tournament standard?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

spriral wrote: »
    Wobbling is banned

As in the Ice Climbers ToD grab setup?

I've never heard of that being banned, surely melee top tier in general are much more "cheap"?

I've never heard of that being banned, surely melee top tier in general are much more "cheap"?

Probably copied from US Smash Boards standard rules.

I believe if "wobbling" is allowed, you have to have a clause at what damage the wobble has to end, otherwise climbers can stall a match indefinitely.

From a logistical simplicity point of view, it's easier just to ban it than explain what it is and set the damage restrictions in place.

Realistically, I don't think anyone in Ireland can wobble anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭ladnopoka

I haven't decided on prizes for the tournaments yet but I am open to any suggestions. We do have the bar open for the day so it would probably be a free drink or 2 for first and second places.

Trophies, T-Shirts, Stickers, Mugs, Posters, Coupons, Vouchers and Food.
    Any prize would be cool! :pac:
    For a lot of people winning gaming (or Street Fighter) related prizes are a lot more enjoyable than winning money. :rolleyes:

Any prize would be cool! :pac:
    For a lot of people winning gaming (or Street Fighter) related prizes are a lot more enjoyable than winning money. :rolleyes:

I'd never thought about that before but yeah I have a Streetfighter shelf at this point full of knicknacks I've won from second place at all the various cons ladno has been at :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I'd never thought about that before but yeah I have a Streetfighter shelf at this point full of knicknacks I've won from second place at all the various cons ladno has been at :D

I have a Streetfighter shelf at this point full of knicknacks I have bought to make up for my inadequacies as a player.

• Advertisement

What are the rules you are doing for TTT2? Is it best 3/5 rounds per game and best 2/3 games per match because that is the tournament standard?

Yes. Sorry if I didn't make that clearer but we want to go by tournament standard rules for each game.

I don't know too much about competitive melee or the tier lists. However from what I've seen, I do find wobbling abusive and I can see it being frustrating for the other player, since they can't do anything once grabbed. Correct me if I'm wrong but I do believe that the EU scene is mixed on wobbling.
    Any prize would be cool! pacman.gif
    For a lot of people winning gaming (or Street Fighter) related prizes are a lot more enjoyable than winning money. rolleyes.png

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try to look for some of those and I might have a SSF4 poster around my house which I could give as a prize too.

I don't know too much about competitive melee or the tier lists. However from what I've seen, I do find wobbling abusive and I can see it being frustrating for the other player, since they can't do anything once grabbed. Correct me if I'm wrong but I do believe that the EU scene is mixed on wobbling.

Honestly, I don't think you need to worry about, and I don't think it matters.

Just leave it banned, since it's simpler logistically. If you unban it, you need to have caveats for the limit of damage % you can wobble to, which might vary by stage and character. Don't bother with that mess.

Any Melee players will just be happy there's a tournament.

Any wobbling irish ice climber players will be wrestling with the nature of their ethereal reality, since they don't exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭BigStupidGuy

I'll be there, I practically live in Maynooth anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Murderous Neil

are wireless controllers allowed as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Yreval

They probably won't be.

oh, and are headsets required as well?

are wireless controllers allowed as well?

Officially? No, I'd say, but I don't see it being a problem if we're running off one or 2 machines.
    oh, and are headsets required as well?

I don't really understand what you mean- if you WANT to use a headset, you probably could if you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Ixayek_usurper

I'll be there too.

EDIT:
    Just wanted to add that if there was anyway you guys could get a PS3 set-up for Tekken it would be great!
    I know a few of the guys play exclusively on PS3 pad, whilst the majority have dual-modded stick's.
    (perhaps someone in the Boards community could help in this regard if you guys can't?)

Also,
    If you guys need an extra xbox for the day, I'll gladly loan you mine.
    I live in Maynooth, 15mins from campus, so, even if you only realised ON THE DAY that you needed one more feel free to give me a shout.
    Can also provide a copy TTT2 if needed.

Officially? No, I'd say, but I don't see it being a problem if we're running off one or 2 machines.

Yeah I see no problem with using wireless controllers just as long as people remember to turn them off when they are finished.

Just wanted to add that if there was anyway you guys could get a PS3 set-up for Tekken it would be great!
    I know a few of the guys play exclusively on PS3 pad, whilst the majority have dual-modded stick's.
    (perhaps someone in the Boards community could help in this regard if you guys can't?)

Unfortunately the games society in Maynooth dosen't have a PS3. If I feel that we need another console or 2 due to demand, I'll give preference and ask for PS3 over an Xbox. We do want as many people as we can get going to this event.

Yeah I see no problem with using wireless controllers just as long as people remember to turn them off when they are finished.

Unfortunately the games society in Maynooth dosen't have a PS3. If I feel that we need another console or 2 due to demand, I'll give preference and ask for PS3 over an Xbox. We do want as many people as we can get going to this event.

People could bring their own and a monitor regardless, would that be ok?

(not that you have to, people should be buying adaptors or the like)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭BigStupidGuy

Oh if we all only played poker there'd be no problem with PS/XBOX monopoly :(

People could bring their own and a monitor regardless, would that be ok?

(not that you have to, people should be buying adaptors or the like)

Yes, but it's best if they let me know before hand, that way I can give them a discount to enter the con at the least.

do your best man. The majority of the Tekken Players I know tend to lean torwards the PS3 version. A few players I know including myself also play on the controller, the d-pad for them is better for Tekken inputs than the x-box controller.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

For the record, the problem with wireless pads is you can turn them off right all you want. If you turn it back on again (by accident or on purpose to connect to new console) you risk interrupting a game being played on the original console. That's why they're banned.

Best solution? Take out the battery back and bring your charge cable. Boom, wired pad.

do your best man. The majority of the Tekken Players I know tend to lean torwards the PS3 version. A few players I know including myself also play on the controller, the d-pad for them is better for Tekken inputs than the x-box controller.

Ok, I am not saying this to be mean, as I know you and other people are new, but it has to be said. It's not really the tournament organiser's responsibility to sort this out, it's yours or who ever has the issue with the pad. It's an impossible situation for him to fix and a relatively easy one for the attendees.

What happens the first time a PS3 player comes up against an xbox?

There's cheap converters online, that are varying degrees of good. It'd save a massive amount of pain if people would look into these things.

That said, as it's a con tournament and not SUPER SERIOUS I'm sure we'll all try to sort something out.

No, I understand completely, I'll get myself an x-box contoller if there is no other way around getting a PS3 there.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Kuro Tao

I'll make it to this, Maynooth is actually easier for me to get to than Dublin funny enough.
    I can bring a PS3 with AE/TTT2 and a bunch of other FG's, if that helps at all, though they'll all be digital so if anyone wants a game in particular e.g VF let me know in advance so I can download it again.

@Ixayek
    It's been too long man, I need that Hwoa mirror!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

I should be there for AE and TTT2 :)

Kuro Tao wrote: »
    I can bring a PS3 with AE/TTT2 and a bunch of other FG's, if that helps at all, though they'll all be digital so if anyone wants a game in particular e.g VF let me know in advance so I can download it again.

That will be great. We can let you in for free for bring in the PS3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Bento Sento

The Tekken community isn't dead? :eek:

I shall be there for TTT2 and dat Mahvel. :D

Advertisement