Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dominicon-2013, Sat Nov 16, 2013. UMvC3, SSF4AE, TTT2 & SSBM

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Ixayek_usurper

Just wanted to say that I completely agree with Doom regarding players having to be able to accomodate either console and its not the responsibility of the TO.

Its one of the main reason's I learned stick in the first place.
    Kuro Tao wrote: »
    I'll make it to this, Maynooth is actually easier for me to get to than Dublin funny enough.
    That is interesting to know man.
    I shall keep that in mind ;)
    @Ixayek
    It's been too long man, I need that Hwoa mirror!
    You got it bro! :)

BTW,
    If anyone wants to hang around Maynooth and needs a place to leave gear for a day or whatever, as i said already, my gaff is only a short distance from campus and anyone is welcome to leave their gear there.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Kuro Tao

I had a pretty interesting idea for this or any con-type event last night.

I was thinking of a Beat The Pro style side event.
    Basically what would happen would be someone representing the scene would put up a bounty to any incoming challengers, say 20 quid or some beer tokens or something (I'd actually be willing to front the money since I'm getting free entry anyway), then challengers take say 50 cent or a Euro to take a pop at the "pro" in a best of whatever set in whatever game.

If the "pro" is beaten, then the 20 quid goes to whoever beat them, but they stay on (in the case of the pro being beaten in like the first 15 minutes lol) but the next time they lose, the winner will take the accumulated pot of the challengers so far.

If the "pro" doesn't lose, I get my 20 quid back, and the collective proceeds of the challengers go to either NUIM or the IFGC, or 50/50, whatever works.

Of course, other people from the IFGC can take a pop at the pro, but they still have to pay, and instead of taking the cash they take the hot seat instead.

I believe FutureGuy has fought Ryan Hart in one of these style events before? Could be mistaken, but I've seen this done before somewhere.

Anywho, 'tis but an idea for now. What do you all think?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Basically what would happen would be someone representing the scene would put up a bounty to any incoming challengers, say 20 quid or some beer tokens or something (I'd actually be willing to front the money since I'm getting free entry anyway), then challengers take say 50 cent or a Euro to take a pop at the "pro" in a best of whatever set in whatever game.

If the "pro" is beaten, then the 20 quid goes to whoever beat them, but they stay on (in the case of the pro being beaten in like the first 15 minutes lol) but the next time they lose, the winner will take the accumulated pot of the challengers so far.

If the "pro" doesn't lose, I get my 20 quid back, and the collective proceeds of the challengers go to either NUIM or the IFGC, or 50/50, whatever works.

Of course, other people from the IFGC can take a pop at the pro, but they still have to pay, and instead of taking the cash they take the hot seat instead.

I believe FutureGuy has fought Ryan Hart in one of these style events before? Could be mistaken, but I've seen this done before somewhere.

Would you believe I actually have already done this in Maynooth, many, many moons ago!

I think it was 1999 and the challenge was to beat me at MvC1. I lost to 2 or 3 people because I got bored and swapped to Tekken for a bit. I made quite a lot of money for the games soc that year. lol

A "beat the pro" thing for charity would be good craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Bento Sento

But the thing is we need a pro first. :p

But the thing is we need a pro first. :p

Easier to say pro than "beat the kinda competitive, maybe been to one or two majors, might have played Tokido or Ryan Hart once, player"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ayjayirl

I believe we got the numbers we needed for the higher capitation from this one alone.

ayjayirl wrote: »
    I believe we got the numbers we needed for the higher capitation from this one alone.

Oh yeah that was it! We had a mad blow out dominicon that year because of it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

A "beat the pro" thing for charity would be good craic.

In a bizarre twist of fate, the only game ever that I feel I could do this kind of thing for is Super Smash Bros Melee.

Which is being run at this event.

Which I am definitely attending.

So I guess I'll officially volunteer as the Melee pro, if you guys will have me :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Nutrient

So I guess I'll officially volunteer as the Melee pro, if you guys will have me :P

'Beat the pro in SSB:Brawl' seems hysterical when you think about it...:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭TheMikenyan

Glad I spotted this. I'll go.

• Advertisement

This is this weekend!

Should be a good day- people are always asking for Streetfighter or Marvel at the bar, here's your chance!

This is this weekend!

Should be a good day- people are always asking for Streetfighter or Marvel at the bar, here's your chance!

and for the frugal amongst us I believe it was €2 a pint (fosters) last time....

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Doyler01

Whos going for AE or Marvel?

I might go if i'm free

I should be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭TheMikenyan

I'll be going for AE and Smash, for sure.

I'm there for AE, obv.

Might play Marvel if they need a body.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Bollocks, I'd love to go to this, but I've agreed to go home and see Thor 2 with my friends. If I don't do it this weekend I wont be able to for the next 5 so maybe next year :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Nutrient

Doyler01 wrote: »
    Whos going for AE or Marvel?

I might go i'm free

Will there be werewolf?

Tom let's go.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Doyler01

Nutrient wrote: »
    Will there be penis? My favourite snack

Tom let's go.

Damn

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭spriral

Nutrient wrote: »
    Will there be werewolf?

Tom let's go.

Definitely. It's a very popular game at the soc so people will be up for playing it on Saturday.

• Advertisement

Werewolf the apocalypse for life yo

Werewolf the apocalypse for life yo

Oh the abomination. ........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

I was wondering what the setups are like?

I can bring a PS3 as an extra casuals setup if there's another monitor/tv available.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭spriral

Fergus_ wrote: »
    I was wondering what the setups are like?

I can bring a PS3 as an extra casuals setup if there's another monitor/tv available.

The bar is filled with plenty of tvs up on the walls that we can use, I don't know any of their inputs apart from composite. If people are okay with playing casuals on them for games like Marvel, Tekken or Street Fighter then I'd say another ps3 won't hurt.

Assuming that Doom will be bringing his monitor, we'll have 2 at the event, which we can prioritize for tournaments.

spriral wrote: »
    The bar is filled with plenty of tvs up on the walls that we can use, I don't know any of their inputs apart from composite. If people are okay with playing casuals on them for games like Marvel, Tekken or Street Fighter then I'd say another ps3 won't hurt.

Assuming that Doom will be bringing his monitor, we'll have 2 at the event, which we can prioritize for tournaments.

Just to confirm I will be bringing a lagless monitor and an xbox patched for SSF4AE2012 and UMvC3 (Sorry Tekken people but I don't have a TTT2 disc if a patch is needed).

I will basically just be using my own set up :)

If the TVs are from any time in the last decade it is highly unlikely component or HDMI would cause a problem.

TTT2 didn't get any important patches anyway as far as I know besides a Kuni hitbox fix.

TTT2 didn't get any important patches anyway as far as I know besides a Kuni hitbox fix.

Then all I will need is a disc :)

Ye I can provide one.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Bento Sento

Well not exactly because the extra chars are technically part of the patch so you need the most up to date version to have all the characters.

Has it been fully decided what console we are running Tekken on yet? Kuro said that he is bringing his ps3 so we can run it off that.

• Advertisement

I don't think any of us uses DLC characters tho (Kuni is there already isn't she?) And I dropped Miharu so she's not an issue anymore.

I'm taking my PS3 as well anyway.

Advertisement