Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sprong, fork or grape?

Options
  • 21-09-2013 11:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,386 ✭✭✭✭

Just curious as to what people call a sprong ie a fork in different parts of the country. I live in kilkenny and a sprong was always a sprong! Meeting people from up the country, they call it a grape or greap? Any other variations?
    Googling this I see sprong originated from the yola language in south Wexford. Which makes sense as to why we call them sprongs!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Rho b

Grape is what I call it although I learned that from my Longford grandparents. However around here its called a dung fork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭quadboy

you mean a pike

quadboy wrote: »
    you mean a pike
    I understand a Pike to be a Pitchfork - two pronged fork for pitching hay/straw as opposed to a grape which has 4 curved prongs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭fredweena

We call that a four-pronged pike. Also down at the home place they call a cock of hay a wine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭johnpawl

Dung fork here

• Advertisement

fredweena wrote: »
    We call that a four-pronged pike. Also down at the home place they call a cock of hay a wine.
    Never heard that expression before and I am from the era when cocking hay was normal.
    Can I ask what part of the country are you from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

4 grain fork or dungfork (has 4 grains)
    A two grain fork or pitchfork (has 2 grains)
    The five grain fork is what ya eat your dinner with (if ya don't have a dinner fork!). :-)

On the subject of hay, we had grass cocks, field cocks, pikes and reeks. Depending on the size/shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭yellow50HX

Yeah it's the 4 prong pike, the 3 prong pike (turf pike), and the 2 prong pike ( bale pike)

Bizzum wrote: »
    4 grain fork or dungfork (has 4 grains)
    A two grain fork or pitchfork (has 2 grains)
    The five grain fork is what ya eat your dinner with (if ya don't have a dinner fork!). :-)
    Actually I understood that a five grained fork was for spuds/turnips and turf, although they have little knobbly bits at the end of the tines. Stand corrected though :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Rho b wrote: »
    Actually I understood that a five grained fork was for spuds/turnips and turf, although they have little knobbly bits at the end of the tines. Stand corrected though :rolleyes:

The 5 grain fork I was on about is your hand :-)

The turf fork is called a bead fork and has 6 grains with a bead on the tip of each.
    There was a stone fork with 9 or 10 grains, close together.
    There was an old 3 pronged fork with shortish, flat and rounded grains for digging out spuds.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭fredweena

I'm from Kerry. They were always called wines. My father is from Galway and said that he'd never heard it before he moved down either.

I'm from Kerry. They were always called wines. My father is from Galway and said that he'd never heard it before he moved down either.
    Its surprising to me that for such a small country we have some many different expressions for the same implement etc.
    My mam is from Longford and they used a Loy in years gone by for planting/setting potatoes. I understand that the Loy was used extensively in that part of the country but from what I can gather was not used in Dublin for the same purpose :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Grape = 4 sprongs
    fork = 2 sprongs
    Beet grape = the one with the balls on the end

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Sprongs and pikes all the way down here. I remember starting in Multy back in the day and hearing grape/greap for the first time. Had to figure out what it was from context.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Rho b wrote: »
    Its surprising to me that for such a small country we have some many different expressions for the same implement etc.
    My mam is from Longford and they used a Loy in years gone by for planting/setting potatoes. I understand that the Loy was used extensively in that part of the country but from what I can gather was not used in Dublin for the
    same purpose :confused:

A loy is a kind of a hand Plow, they did demos with it at the ploughing a fee years back,I'd never heard of it down in cork either...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

4 tines = sprang
    2 tines = fork
    6 tines with balls = beet fork
    9 tines with balls = potato fork

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

4 prongs = pike
    2 prongs = fork

3 prongs =?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 FT7

pitch fork (2)

dung fork (4)

hay in ascending order ... depending on the weather :(.. grasscocks, meadow cocks, trams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Hay fork = 2 prongs
    Pitch fork = 4 prongs
    Beet fork / turf fork = 8 beaded prongs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭iverjohnston

Graipe here in Cavan, if they have 4 tines. Fork if it has 2 tines. Co-Op stores selling continental made 3 tine yokes, don't know what you call then. Even rarer , a lad who would work one!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭delaval

All hardship but fork 2 grain good for sorting cattle all other work is hydraulic!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Dampintheattic

delaval wrote: »
    All hardship but fork 2 grain good for sorting cattle all other work is hydraulic!!!

Hydraulic isn't able to replace mandraulic in all cases! -;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭TheBody

In North Longford:

2 prongs= a fork
    4 prongs= a grape

A turf grape is one with the nobbily bits on the end of the tines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Juniorhurler

Sprong here in north Wexford. Pitch fork for two grains.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Sharpshooter82

2 prongs= a fork
    4 prongs= a grape

A turf fork is one with the nobbily bits on the end of the tines

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭MFdaveIreland

Grape, county down

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

2 prongs is a pitch fork because its used to "pitch" bales of hay onto a trailer

4 prong is a grape round this part of meath

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭red bull

2 prongs hay fork
    3 prongs silage for
    4prongs dung fork

hay, tram cocks and kildares

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Mulumpy

Four grain fork ere. Never heard grape before

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

We always called it a 4 grain fork as well. Often wondered where the term 'grain' started from in relation to forks?!

Advertisement